Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 285/285/150

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the web sights, I didnt even think of using my computer...DUH!!!!!! My DD is turning 14 on friday, her idea for the night is to call for pizza, watch movies and eat Dibs (litttle icecream cubes). Requested like a true child of a junk food junkie!, but seriously, its fine for a treat, but I think this is the age when i really began to "pack it on". I was never a small child but ..any ideas on what to watch for or how to approach her without making her feel fat? She isnt, at all, but she could very easily go there.. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #17  

Talking

Annie, I wish I knew what to say to kids too. My own son is 11 and a toothpick! But he also eats nothing but junk unless absolutely forced. He gets fruit at about every meal, because there are so few veggies he'll eat. I made him try acorn squash with brown sugar yesterdy and thought he'd puke. (Of course, DH wouldn't eat it either - weird men!) He'll come home from school and I'll ask what he had for lunch and he'll say "Mozzarella sticks and french fries." Yeah. That's real healthy, huh? I told him I was going to start forcing salad down his throat if he didn't start eating better at school! (Last time he accidently got a piece of lettuce in his mouth he actually gagged and nearly threw up - although that was 3 years or so ago!) My DH and I like food a little on the spicy or different side and often end up making DS something different. I mean, I could sit enchilada's in front of the kid, or salmon, like we had last night, but why? He would rather go to bed hungry than eat it - and he WOULD too. Been there, tried that. Didn't feed my kid dinner for two days in a row when he was five over a bite of mashed potatoes. He won.

Anyway, on the up side, I was already fat at his age and he's got good, skinny genes on his bio father's side of the family, so I'm hoping he stays thin. But I warn him all the time that too much junk isn't healthy and if he doesn't watch it he'll end up fat like me. He doesn't seem to care.

Valerie - Thanks! Ya' know...your dinner, including the beer, sounds yum! I could use a beer I thinks!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #18  
Michigan Old-Timer

Sorry, girls! Mom's in the hospital. I took her to emergency yesterday afternoon and they kept her. She thought she was having a heart attack. I'm out the door in a minute. Got home at midnight and had to get up at 6:00 AM to get yesterday's reports done. Now I'm off to the hospital to try and catch the doctor.

Love ya bunches! I WILL get back here one of these days.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Not much to report this week. I've had some sinus/allergy thing going so I haven't felt 100%. Not enough to see a doctor but enough to make me come home and go to bed. I got some echinecea/golden seal yesterday so we'll see if that helps.

We had such a gorgeous day yesterday. No wonder people are sick. I had finally given up and turned on the furnace and then its 80 degrees.

DB came out for dinner last night. We wanted to hear about his weekend in Vegas. His SO/girlfriend/whatever 's oldest daughter got married. The couple decided that they wanted to do a low-key wedding and spend 8 days in Hawaii for the honeymoon. Except they had the wedding at the Bellagio. And 75 people accepted the invitaiton to attend. Cost the couple $15,000. DB/SO had some sort of disagreement about the weekend and the daughter's dog or something so he let their room go at Caesar's. $300+ a night. So she booked a room at the Golden Palm. The SO got out there a day early and hated the Golden Palm and talked to the Bellagio. Four of them (daughter #2 and her BF) shared a room at $768 a night. DB was not too happy. Its probably better that DB and the SO never get married.

DH had the nephew and oldest niece out to work outside all day yesterday. He worked them pretty hard for 5 hours. DH is paying for one day's studio session for my nephew's band to record a CD. DH has lost his mind. But it means a whole lot to the nephew. We've decided that its our ministry to try to be a good, positive influence in the three kids lives. I'm a little scared about the nephew's direction in life. He is considered the only "death metal" lead vocalist in the area. Well isn't that special? I am a little concerned about how seriously he takes "death metal". Is it just something he enjoys doing (which sounds like unintelligible screaming to me) or does he really believe the mental aspect, i.e. satanism, that some of it has.

For nothing to report, that became a big ramble.

Thin - for mom. Keep us posted on what's happening. I'll say a prayer for her and you!

's to Annie, Lilion and Valerie this week. You all are doing great.

No more time for replies. I'll catch up more tonight while I watch Survivor.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #20  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Thin: My thoughts and prayers are with your mother and with you! I hope that everything turns out alright!

Terri: I wouldn't worry unduly about the nephew. My own DH is a metal head of many years. He has carp in his music collection I wouldn't DREAM of listening too. In fact, I'd never even heard the term "Death Metal" until I met him. I know there are some dark themes involved and I'm sure that some of the muscians get caught up in it...but I think as a general rule it's posing. Unintelligible screaming is what I think too. I don't get it either. I prefer music that sounds musical. The Golden Palm must REALLY suck if your DB was willing to pay $768/night to be somewhere else! I honestly can't imagine ANY place I'd be willing to pay that much money. If the sheets were silk, the beds made of goose down, the jaccuzi made of gold and the size of a swimming pool and I had my own private, handsome butler to see to my every need...I'd STILL not pay $700/night! I balk when it hits the $200 mark! (I'm incredibly cheap!)

Took my 3# loss and went to Pizza Hut last night! Right now I feel like I will never eat pasta again! DH and I got pizza for DS and also had a slice or two and split the Chicken Cavatini Supreme...covered in alfredo/garlic type sauce. 24 points! When we make a food mistake, it's a BIG one! Oh well, still have flex points left for the week and that's the important thing! I ate all my flex points on Wed and Thurs last week.

Got to run ladies. Have a happy, healthy OP day!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #21  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face Giving personals a try

Howdy. Day #3 here. Still OP, but I HAVE to start adding exercise in. The back is a LOT better, thank goodness. I upped my water yesterday and that made me feel a little better. I'm still being very diligent to write EVERYTHING down (even if I miss a day blogging). I either need to drag the recumbent bike or my dreadmill back out of storage. Pooh had originally said he'd store them until I moved to the new house, but that may be a week or two. Maybe I'll just drag my Urban Rebounder out. Let's hope the back cooperates. Ooh careful of that knee, Java.

Lilion: I'm sorry about your poison pasta. I hope you're feeling better. I didn't get the chance to congratulate you on your loss and/or ticker move. Good job.

Determined to succeed: Sorry about your sinus trouble. I hope you feel better as well. Don't worry, my Pooh Bear is a metal head from the 80's and he's a well adjusted bear. Though his choice of metal leans more towards the classic metal rather than death metal. But I wouldn't let it worry you. Now if he starts singing Kuntree mooozic .... awww just teasing. Really, don't worry, it's just a music genre, not exactly a lifestyle.

ThinThinker: I'm sending warm thoughts regarding your Mother. Take care.

Littleanniefannie: I wish someone would have talked to me about my weight as a child. I was morbidly obese early on. Though it's a very delicate subject with a lot of opportunity for hurt feelings. I wish you the best. Perhaps just leading by example? That's the only sage advice I can think of, and I'm certainly not a great role model, that's for sure.

NoLifeWithoutHorses: How goes the Truckin'?

Elmay: You on day number three too? Or are you on four? How's it going?

J-Ann: How is it going? How's the newly spayed springer?

Vortex VVV: Did you get to pick your car back up?

Iwillbe: Hi! How are ya?

That's my first stab at personals in quite a while. I hope I did okay. My sense of humor tends to be a bit twisted and vague at times, so if I'm not making sense, just ignore me. Peace and turtle hugs to all who roost here.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #22  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Hi Ladies,

Well today I did the pre-get my act back together, shopping trip AND cleaned out the fridge. No scale yet but I'm ready. I've got my WW stuff out and a new notebook to journal in. I'm ready!

The newly spayed Springer is really a newly spayed Pointer (VBG) and she's doing fine. As a matter of fact she thinnks she's healed and ready to somersault off the bed and wrestle with the older Pointer - 13.5 yrs. Needless to say the older one was really happy while the younger one was still under the effects of the anesthesia.

THIN Hope your Mom's doing OK. I'll keep her in my prayers.

LILION 95 lbs.? Darlin' I hope you as proud of yourself as I think. You'll work off the tasty chicken thing in a few days.

TERRI I hate sinus problems. Tylenol Sinus Non-drowsy keeps me going when mine act up.

JAVA TURTLE "Day #3 here. Still OP" Great! Get a couple good weeks under your belt and it'll seem easy again.

I'll chat more tomorrow.

Judy

Last edited by j-ann; 11-09-2006 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Who has to edit cause she can't spell or proof her own typing.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #23  
Michigan Old-Timer

Just a quick check in.

Don't know what's going on with mom. They're doing a stress test in the morning, but the cardio guy doesn't think it's heart related. They ordered a doppler for her legs because she has pain and they want to rule out blood clots, but again the cardio guy doesn't think that it either, AND no one came to do it today. The gastro doctor came in and I guess they're going to treat her for her belching, lack of appetite and nausea. She says it could be a couple of days.

I know the hospital stay is going to be the pitts, for her and for me as I feel the need to stay with her and be her advocate and second set of ears. I got there at 8:45 this morning and left at 7:30 tonight. I'll be back up there early in the morning and then I need to leave her bedside to go downstairs for my second diabetes class. At least it's in the same hospital.

That's all my news and of course, no time once again. Thanks for all the well wishes. Love ya bunches!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #24  
Hang In There

[B]Thin[B] Send my love to your mom. You both will be in my prayers. I know how rough those hospital stays can be, but Hang In There!!! We'll all be pulling for you.

Java"I'm hoping things will come back to me with time. I know HOW to do this, just getting myself TO do it can be difficult at times" Boy do I relate to THAT

Valerie You can move to Dallas now!!! The HR lady finally gave a written resignation this week. I guess third (or is it fourth or fifth) times the charm and she really means it this time.

Everyone else Hope everyone is doing okay. Sorry, but I really hate doing personals, Just know that I read everything and think about/pray for/ cheer on, whatever is appropriate all of you.

Now about me: I got the nerve to get on the scales Monday morning and although I am back above 300 it was not nearly as bad as I had thought. I've been good all week and at least thought about what I've eaten and was rewarded with 1 pound down this morning. So maybe I can get back on track again.

Well, I've got to get busy and get to work, I don't want to miss any excitement!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #25  

Hi ladies,

Today is beautiful here in Central N.Y. Cool and sunny..... You can't ask for more.

I bit the bullet and went to Target and priced scales, hoping they'd be expensive - NOT. So I bought one and brought it home. Since I bought all those "good" groceries yesterday I figured I needed a starting point. Tomorrow morning I'm actually gonna get on the darn thing just like Ruth did on Monday.

I'll check in tomorrow after I see what the "damage" really is.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #26  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Good evening chickies,

Just wanted to check in. Everything is fine here, nothing really to report, still waiting for results on the midterms. Otherwise, I'm just trying to keep up with the schedule that I set for myself.

Hope everyone is doing well. By the way, just curious if anyone in here was going to participate in the card exchange that Thin mentioned. I personally love to send cards too.

JUDY, I happened to see you're in Upstate NY. Where abouts are you? I grew up in Canandaigua, AKA "The Chosen Spot" or "Playland of the Finger Lakes" Also spent quite a bit of time in Watkins Glen.

Have a good night everyone!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #27  
Michigan Old-Timer

I'm sorry for the quick check in again tonight. If you're into praying please send one up for my mom. They did the doppler this morning and she has a blood clot that goes from her groin to her ankle. She's a mess. Still belching like crazy and can't eat which they say is NOT related to the clot, some other problem. She is scared and very depressed. I got to the hospital this morning at 7:30 and didn't leave until 10:00 tonight. I'm exhausted!

Love ya bunches, my friends!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:48 AM   #28  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinthinker View Post
I'm sorry for the quick check in again tonight. If you're into praying please send one up for my mom.
Thin... Just want to say that tonight I was wondering now why have I not checked out this section of the group... and just felt led to log on and check it out. And here is your prayer need for your Mom. I am praying for her and you too. Praying God will calm her fears and give you both (and others involved) His peace.

Blessings

in Seattle
Old 11-11-2006, 02:01 AM   #29  

Thin, I couldn't sleep tonight so I came into the office to read and see what my hens were uo to and saw your post. My prayers will go out for your Mom. I know how she must be feeling for sure. As you know we just put my Mom in the nursing home Wed. Back in Aug. they found a blood clot in her leg that was from the groin down to her foot. They did get it dissolved and she got ok from that, so maybe your Mom will be as lucky.

On the down side of that, they discovered my Mom had a fractured hip after she was in the nursing home. She couldn't walk and was in pain so they xrayed her and found the fracture. All of this since Wed. I was appalled that the Drs. in North Georgia hadn't found that. I was upset with my sister and the Dr. up there too! They had to know there was some reason she suddenly couldn't walk and kept falling. Now I am wondering if a fall or if the therapist broke that hip. GRRRR!

Putting her in the nursing home and seeing her out there has been the biggest nightmare of my life. All of the paper work was no fun, but seeing the way they live and just sit around in wheelchairs is heart breaking. I don't think I could go out everyday or I would grab my Mom and bring her home. I know I can't do that right now, but I sure want to. She is going to the ortho Dr. Mon. to see if they are going to repair the hip. At her age they may not, which means she will be in the wheelchair until she dies.

I didn't mean to write such a long reply, but please add my MOm to that prayer list. I do hope your Mom can get some relief from her problems and feels better soon. Take care and God bless you, Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 11-11-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #30  

Default I'm Depressed

Before I get to my whine: RUTH & THIN both of you and your Mom's will be in my thoughts and prayers. With help from good Drs. hopefully they will feel a lot better soon. Ruth, When my Dad was in a nursing home I found that my getting there often was good for him. It also keeps the staff on their toes if they don't know when you'll arrive but can be pretty sure you'll show up. Perhaps you can work on an activity committee that will help the residents be more active.

WARNING:Whine begins here.

I got on the new scale this morning. Bad, bad news. The scale goes to 330 then gives you and error message. I GOT that message. This means I'm above my all time high of 324.5. I'm going to assume that I'm about 335 until I can find a different scale. I don't think I'm much higher than that. I HOPE I'm not. This has been a very enlightening morning. My lifestyle, especially my eating habits have got to change or I'll have no life to live. This is the pits!

I'm so angry at myself for doing this to me. I'm going to stay on program. I know it works. I know I can (have to) do this.

Fast food drive thru's BEWARE ......Judy's not driving thru for any more snacks. Your income is about to be reduced......... and so AM I.
Closed Thread