Old 10-09-2006, 12:12 AM   #1  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Default Weekly Goals for Oct. 9

Want to set a behavioral goal for yourself this week? This is the place!

For a few weeks, I've been setting small goals for myself and using a thread to monitor my progress. I'm finding it useful, as I haven't been having luck trying to make big changes all at once.

So far, I've managed to eat breakfast before leaving home, to take my diabetes meds, and to get at least a small amount of exercise every day for three weeks, except for one day in week 2 when I flubbed all my goals. Last week I managed to meet all my goals everyday, sooo..

For the coming week I'm going to move on to a new eating goal and increase my exercise goal.

This week I'm going to focus on TAKING LUNCH TO WORK so that I don't eat garbage for lunch (I'll assume that I'll keep eating breakfast at home and taking my meds; if that doesn't happen, I'll come back to those as goals next week).

For my exercise goal, I want to include at least 10 minutes of walking, at least 5 minutes on the exercise bike, and at least one flight of stairs (up and down, which I count as one minute of exercise). None of that might sound like much, but I find walking pretty hard on knees and lower back, but it's been getting easier since I've been doing a little most days, and stairs are a real chore for me (I have to hang on the railing and usually go up leading with the same foot on every step). So this new exercise goal is about both increasing my daily amount of exercise and increasing my mobility.

Anyone else want to set a goal for the week? Who's in?
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 135/132/125

Default my behavioral goals for the week

I will be going home for fall break on Wednesday and would like to maintain my good eating habbits even though I will be in a different setting. Being at my house, junk food will be more easily accessable and since I won't have a routine schedule like i do at school, eating sporadically will be something i'll be faced with. This means making good, healthy decisions in food will is something I'll have to be cautious of. I've been consistant with not eating after dinner (except for a piece of fruit if I get hungry) so hopefully I can turn down the ice cream that my family will probably offer as a "bedtime snack." As for between meal noshing, it's been only fruit here at school and I hope to keep it that way this week

Angela- good job on accomplishing your healthy goals Taking lunch to work should pay off once it becomes a habbit because you have more control over what you eat.
chicky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #3  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

OK. I didn't even come close to making my second minutes goal last week. The scale is up a couple this morning (but that's what I get for wtching it so close!) Anyway, I'm going to try again. So, my goal again this week is to kick my heart rate up a second time each day, even for a few minutes, but twice a day.

Today is Monday. Yesterday was my 'day off' of specific exercise, so here goes...
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #4  

Well, try, try again, huh? I didn't even manage to post this weekend and exercise? Well, nothing on Saturday to speak of, but Sunday I walked, shopping and playing around, with DS for FOUR HOURS! I kind of thought that should be enough.

I think this weeks goal will be the same as last, 10 min of exercise a day minimum! AND I'm going to make more of an effort to eat more veggies. I somehow manage to go the whole day without any veggies!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #5  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

My weekly goal is to excercise 5x this week and stay on plan ALL week, including the weekend (Saturday and Sunday both).

So far so good today. I'll report tomorrow. Good luck everyone!!
VioletSwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #6  
Vortex

Great job, Amy!

Great to have you with us, Jenna. Enjoy a GUILT-FREE fall break!

C'mon, Lilion, Valerie, WE CAN DO IT!

I haven't made my exercise goal yet today, but I still have an hour and a half. I had to look here to remind myself what I said I would do.

As far as bringing lunch to work goes.... I didn't have time to finish my oatmeal at breakfast, so I brought it in the car with me to eat a couple more bites... and then when lunch time came I went down to the car and ate what was left!!! I guess I'll count that as bringing my lunch. At least I didn't eat junk.

I probably won't get to post until late tomorrow, so have a great Two's Day.

I'm off to get that exercise in before bedtime.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #7  
aka Valerie

I DID IT!! I finally made my two workouts, and even went over the minimum time. I did 23 minutes this morning and 33 this evening. I even drank all my water, took my vitamins...

... if only I hadn't gone over my calories for the day, it would have been perfect!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #8  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

I stayed on goal yesterday and did a really good job for dinner! I had enough points leftover for 2 evening snacks yesterday--woo hoo!!

Valerie you are doing awesome! Dont sweat 300 measley calories!! Just think--that's how many calories a Moonpie has in it. Just a little Moonpie! And I LOVE Moonpies...
VioletSwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #9  
Vortex

WOO HOO VALERIE! WOO HOO AMY!

I'm having a hard time so far this week. I can see I've made some habits easier, but I haven't done all of my exercise either yesterday or today... though I did parts of it, and more than I was doing a few weeks ago... but I also didn't take my meds yesterday! As soon as it wasn't an official goal, I fell down on the job.

So I'm going to keep trying for all my little habits the rest of the week: meds, breakfast at home, pack lunch, 5 min on bike, 10 min walk, 1 flight of stairs. I'll just see how many I can make the rest of the week, and try for 7 out of 7 on the same goals next week. Sheesh I'm slow. But hanging in, as I hope you all will be on Wednesday!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #10  
aka Valerie

HOLY COW I'M ON A ROLL! I actually did both workouts agan today. The second was only a really short one, but that doesn't matter as long as I did it. I got all my water and everything in, so I'm OP for the day!!

HANG IN THERE ANGELA! You're keeping me on the straight and narrow. YOU can do it too! You're improving your habits each week, and that's what it's all about! Keep it up!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #11  

Why on earth did I post on this thread? Seeing as I'm 0 for 2 now, I'm feeling very stupid. Not only have I NOT exercised, I've eaten very few veggies. I suspect I'm not ready for this particular challenge.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #12  
aka Valerie

Keep trying LILION!!!! It's taken me 3 weeks to even START doing what I pledged to do, but it keeps me thinking about it. It keeps me trying a little more often. It's not the Absolute Perfect Success that counts, it's the constant attempt to change and improve. Change your commitment if you must, but keep trying!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #13  
aka Valerie

Yesterday (Wednesday) I didn't even have the guts to post because I was wallowing in a bit... a poo-pile actually, of self-pity. I didn't do one lick of exercise. Nada.

Today could have been the same, but I thought about that 'commitment to the process' thing, and how BAD I really want this. I dragged myself out to Curves this morning. I'm almost surprised I didn't have to have someone else tie my sneakers on when I got there, I was feeling so NOT like exercising. But I channeled some energy and anger finally, melting it into determination. I attacked the machines and worked really hard for 30 minutes. Then I even did some walking with the dogs. Tonight I talked to Bill (we don't need to get into that) and I was ready to weep again.

Instead, I got on the treadmill. I cussed at Launchcast for playing crappy music, so I got some venting done, then put on some good music and finished a whole 35 minute, sweating, puffing and in the end feeling absolutely GREAT! I bet I sleep a whole lot better tonight, and I bet i wake up skinnier in the a.m. I sure hope so anyway - I've gained 2 pounds this week, which is just unbearable!

You know what's been the hardest tho? Taking my vitamins twice a day. I hate that. I have to really force myself to do it... and I don't always succeed.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #14  
aka Valerie

OK pant pant pant... I'm 4 out of 5 for this week. A new record. I hope it pays off tomorrow A.M. @ WI.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #15  
Vortex

Great job, Valerie!!!

I've been bad, not meeting my goals and not even posting. I've had company for three days (we had a long weekend), and I've let that get me off track.

I'm not sure what my total even was for the week. Obviously I wasn't committed enough last week. I'm going to call it a learning experience and try for the same things next week, but I don't think I'll do a thread unless someone else really wants one--I haven't been a regular enough cheerleader/drill sargeant, and I obviously need one myself.