Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again...#986

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #2  

Patti - glad to hear you being so determined. While any of us have that determination it makes dieting so very doable (is that a word lol) You are right not to let a gain on the scales stop you in your tracks, after all, you definitely won't shift them again if you were to give up. So for your enthusiasm!!

I wonder if that tip to eat a little chocolate might be something to do with if you have it regularly then it's not like eating it once and having a lot which might cause a migraine? Who knows. I think it's each to their own really because like I said chocolate doesn't effect me with regards getting or losing migraines

Heather - thank goodness one of us is observant You were right that Jen is now in TWOTOWN. I went back and edited my post to give her her much deserved congratulations

Jill - I kind of know how you feel about not being able to take anything for your cold. I can't even take the hot lemon drinks with the meds already in them because apparently they worsen the side effects possible with the antidepressants I take. Good job my chemist is on the ball, and he wouldn't let me buy them Funnily enough, now I have exercised I am feeling slightly better. I really hope I don't end up as poorly as Beth seems to be. I guess I will just have to buy plenty of tissues and pain killers in case

Well done on being on plan again with your diet cycle. I must say I do like how you can gain a bit of weight on those 3 days off, then lose it and more again by the end of the next cycle. Sounds great. I hope you see another good loss by the end of this 11 days and that it motivates you to add some exercise to your daily routine.

Ok time for me to go again, take care all and I will see you all later

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

First off, I'm hungry. TOM started so it doesn't surprise me. I'm always extra hungry around this time. I try to savor my snacks but I really make sure I have extra snacks at work so that if I eat extra, at least I eat sensibly. The scale isn't show up yet which it usually shoots up a few lbs right before so I don't know if that means I lost weight or if TOM hasn't kicked into full gear yet.

Last night, I made a lot of food for the week. I made a big batch of brown rice, a big batch of fresh black beans and a big batch of curried cauliflower, eggplant and tomatoes. I also bought kale which I will probably sautee in the next couple days.

Sharon - I would love to wear out a pair of hiking shoes I haven't yet but I have two pairs that I use. They do go through a lot of abuse though. As for wedding cakes, I've never even heard of a fruit cake for a wedding cake. I've heard of fruit cakes before but I've never actually had one.

Kimpossible - As for sodium content in your prepackaged foods, I wouldn't worry too much if it is helping you lose weight. Water will definitely help flush excess sodium out of your body besides filling you up. I was just reading this morning that our body only needs 250mg of sodium per day which is equal to 1/8 tsp of salt. I try to reduce my sodium purely because my body doesn't need it. I used to eat a lot of sodium though.

Matrishka - welcome to the group. You have made a wonderful step towards your weight loss effort by joining 3FC. There is a lot of good advice and support here.

Kenya - glad that someone noticed your weight loss I used to work with a bunch of guys (well I do still but not as closely) and I lost 70 lbs and not one of them said anything... It was amusing but girls noticed and would ask me about it. Also, some people don't always say anything if they see you all the time, but are usually able to notice if they haven't seen you in a while.

Melissa - good job on the inches. I think one of my happiest days was when the tape measure (60 inches?) finally went all the way around my hips.

Hi to everyone else
Old 08-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I just had to come and post because all I've been thinking about all day so far is food and dieting I'm not hungry at all (or hungrier than usual, anyway, as it is almost lunch time), but I just can't focus on anything else right now. I keep coming back to 3FC and visiting another forum I recently signed up for to see if there are new posts to read or reply to. Of course, it doesn't help that my boss isn't in the office today, and I don't have any encroaching deadlines, so I really have no motivation to do any work
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I have had a really emotional couple of days. I am starting to recover, but feel emotionally fragile (like I could start to cry at any minute). I am PMS’ing so that isn’t helping, but I am finding it hard to get over this. On Sunday afternoon I was opening my mail and in it was a statement from my insurance company regarding my recent procedure. Instead of listing it as in-network and therefore covered except for maybe a small co-pay, they were treating it as out of network and the statement basically said I owed almost $13,000 for the procedure.

Now, I spoke with the administrative people at the hospital numerous times and they had told me it was all covered, but when I saw that I just flipped out. I figured it was just a mistake but I felt so stupid for not having it in writing from the hospital and only going on the word of the people I talked to. What if they had been wrong? How stupid was I to have trusted them for something so big? If I owed that kind of money I don’t know what I would do.

So, I could barely stop crying on Sunday, and then again on Monday morning I was too upset to go to work. After sleeping in I finally was calm enough to call the hospital and they assure me I won’t owe anything, but it is still worrying. I still feel stupid for not getting something in writing before hand. Luckily, I was mostly able to handle this without bingeing. I started a bit and then stopped myself before I really got started (several finger fulls of caramel sauce, before washing the remainder down the sink). I feel good about that part at least. I didn’t have the energy to exercise – I felt so drained. It is so strange how being emotionally distressed can do that to you.

Anyway, I am hanging in there. I just need a few days of personal TLC and hopefully I should be better. Also I have learned a big lesson, which is a good thing.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #6  

Hi All,

Nelie is hungry, Jill can't help but thinking about food and dieting today, then there's me. All day I have been fighting the urge to eat. I am not hungry, I just want food. I say to myself well it's ok, you can have such and such, it won't be that much over your points, then I just about give in, but change my mind at the last minute. I keep focusing on that last 2 lbs I want to shift before I go to London. But if I am honest I think the trip there is what's making me feel like eating. I think oh well I know I am going to gain after that because I won't be 100% OP when I am there. My little voice is saying, get a head start, don't diet now. I am just glad that I am fighting it so far, but it's so difficult. I WANT TO EAT and I WANT TO EAT NOW Just reminded myself of that Verruca Salts from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Anyway I'll get over it, I better!

Nelie - I am sorry you are feeling hungry today, but at least you know it's because of TOM and you have prepared for it by making sure you have extra snacks with you.

Jill - why do you think you are focusing on food and dieting today. Is it because you are so determined to get the weight off that you can't help thinking of how eating such and such, or not eating such and such will help you? It's great that you can come here, and to that other forum to go to when you need your diet talk 'fix'

Nancy - I hate it, I absolutely hate it when somebody somewhere makes a HUGE mistake that makes you think you are in trouble, or owe money, or won't be getting your money etc. How would the person who sent you the bill feel if it was landing on them. Somebody stuffed up somewhere and I am just so glad that the hospital have assured you that the procedure you had IS covered and that you aren't going to have to pay that bill.

I am so proud of you too that you got control of your urge to binge, and that after starting to eat that caramel sauce, you stopped. Well done Next time you get on your scales and see a loss you will be able to think how great you are because it could have been showing a gain had you not stayed in control. Well done Nancy Give yourself all the TLC you need, heck and have plenty from your BF as well, sounds like you need it. You are allowed that, just not allowed comfort food

Sabrina - forgot to mention in my last post that I looked at your pics on the picture page. I don't know if it's your height, but you sure don't look the weight you are. In fact I looked at you and thought you look the same size as me. You look smaller than your weight, so just think, as the weight comes off you will carry on looking smaller, lucky girl

I think I need to go make a start on tea, at least eating raw carrot will keep my mind of eating other stuff, and I do LOVE raw carrot

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #7  
Michigan Old-Timer

I found this article on my MSN homepage this morning and I thought I would pass on the link. It's about a total body makeover and it has some very nice illustrations and step by step instructions for doing toning exercises from Denise Austin. Thought maybe some of you would like to check it out. http://health.msn.com/dietfitness/ar...42035&GT1=8404
Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #8  
Erica

S/C/G: 312/310/175

Height: 5'8"

Default New To The Site

Hello everybody. I am completely new to this site. I created my bio earlier today. I hope I am understanding this correctly, I can just hop into the thread with the last number and this is where we can talk?

I have never posted on any forum ever, but I thought this is the best place for me to start.

I think I will just share a little about myself and then hopefully get to know you all. And as I learn more and more about the site, I hope to post a picture of myself because I love to see who I am talking to!

I am 31 years old and have been heavy all my life. Now that my husband and I are ready to start a family, I really do want to get my weight under control. I am starting a low fat diet and going to attempt to start exercising later this week.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #9  

welcometo this board you will meet so many great people !
Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #10  

Hi Ladies - Well good and bad news...."bad" news is I only lost 0.5 today!! But the good news is I am NOT letting it get me down...I know my average calories have been OP, and my exercise as been 60+ minutes a day....I can't be doing anything wrong....so, I'm stuck between forcing myself into only 30 minutes of cardio a day or something.....it's just odd to see inches going yet weight not...I lost 9lbs a month on average without exercising...and in the last 3 weeks I've averaged exercising for nearly 9 hours a week!! What is going on?!??! Is *this much* exercise actually being counterproductive, or do I stick with it?? Anyways, I'm going to do some weight loss/calorie consumption/exercise research...so I'm prepared if I need to change it up. I think I will hold out one more week OP - well end of the month - and tweak if nothing much by then. What do you guys think? Thanks for listening...hope everyone is having a GREAT day! I lost 0.5lbs!! LOL! Woo Hoo!
Stay OP chickies!!

Melissa
Old 08-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #11  

Melissa - I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds like you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat does. If you're seeing less in inches but not on the scale, that's what it's got to be.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmiUK View Post
Sabrina - forgot to mention in my last post that I looked at your pics on the picture page. I don't know if it's your height, but you sure don't look the weight you are. In fact I looked at you and thought you look the same size as me. You look smaller than your weight, so just think, as the weight comes off you will carry on looking smaller, lucky girl
Aww thanks I'm 5'10" and I have a large frame. Basically I'm built like a linebacker.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #13  

ThinThinker - thanks for that link, I was especially interested in the exercises that help prevent a bad back. I will definitely be giving those a try.

Martzerica - hello and I have to say it, you have come to the perfect place not only to get lots of support along your weight loss journey, but as a new to forums person, this is perfect. Things are pretty easy to do, post replies, add pictures etc, and if you ever have any problems you only have to ask. I have been on other message boards and people seem to really be annoyed by newbies. Needless to say I didn't hang around for long.

That's wonderful that you and your husband are ready to have a baby, how much weight would you like to lose before you are going to try?

I look forward to cheering you on as the lbs come off and especially look forward to giving you a big WOOHOO when you can come on here and tell us you are pregnant

Missy - I am definite that you are gaining muscle because there is no way that you could only have lost 1/2 a lb in fat with all the dieting and exercising you are doing. I am glad you are not letting yourself get down about it and that you realise you are doing all the right things. Keep on doing them and even if you don't see the numbers go down on the scales as quickly as you would like to, you will see your clothes sizes going down

Sabrina - built like a linebacker, lol, that's funny. Well you are the prettiest linebacker I've seen

Bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #14  
Releasing the inner hiker

Thank you Ammi and Heather for the congrats. Yes, I am in TWOTOWN now, which for whatever reason, has made me happy. This is strange, as I'm still 20 pounds heavier than I was at this time last year.

Missy, I think your outlook about the small losses is outstanding. You are so motivated and active, that it must be muscle related. I'm hoping that you see a larger loss next week.

Nancy, sometimes I think we just need a good cry to feel better. You definitely had a shock and are deserving of one. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Hello to everyone who is new to the board. Everyone here is so wonderful.

Off to exercise. Or at least think about it.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #15  
Michigan Old-Timer

Marterica: I'm glad you made it over here. I kinda thought maybe you'd be a candidate for our area when I saw your post in Buddy UP. You've got the concept alright. Just jump in and say hello. The rest just comes along.

Nancy: sweetie! What a scare. Keep in mind that you don't have to roll over and play dead on hospital bills anyway. Every hospital has a certain amount of "write off" proceedures that it can do every year. If this wasn't a mistake, and I hope it was, fight like heck to get your stuff written off, especially since you have the confusion and apparent mis-communication.

Ammi: Glad you liked the article. I thought it looked pretty good. I'm going to print out the moves and post them in my new exercise room for reference.
Closed Thread