Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Old Hens! 40+ and Ready to Lose #79!

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Welcome!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #2  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

I get to start the new thread! Been a while since I did that.

Hope you all are avoiding the heat today. Heat index for today is 117! I'm going to thank my lucky stars that I have an air-conditioned indoor job! My momma's biggest wish for me growing up was that I have a job in air-conditioning...that was all it really took for her to consider me a success. You know, I don't think my kid would have any concept of that. - hmmm, I must be feeling reflective and old today!

Well, WI wasn't so bad after all yesterday. Didn't lose, but didn't gain. Not exactly a steller first WI, but given my appetite this weekend, I'd say as good as I had a right to expect. Stayed OP yesterday - I think. Kindof hard when you can't really count the points. I had salad for lunch, and estimated it at about a 6. Dinner was pretty bad-14 pts! But that's what you get with a burger and tater tots...even if it is one you make yourself. I even turned down ice cream after! Today is the same-having salad again for lunch. I am, however, planning on skipping the ultra-wonderful broccoli salad they have on the salad bar. It's just the BEST thing ever, but I can't begin to count the points. It's broccoli, raisins, bacon and pecans with some sort of really sweet dressing. I could eat my weight in this stuff! Today, I will have some fresh fruit to finish up my salad instead.

I will do yoga today too! Skipped it on Monday, but I parked 1/2 mile up the road so I have to walk right by it. Yes. On the hottest day of the year, I parked away from the building so I have to walk. Idiot. But yoga is 1/2 way there so in the long run it won't be any farther than it would be if I walked to yoga and then back to my car in the state lot. This way I have no excuse not to go to yoga and, in fact, I'd be a fool to not take the hour break! Anything to trick myself into exercising!

Ruth: You have my utmost sympathy on the tests. I HATE MRI's. CAT scans are bad enough, but MRI's are torture! I haven't had one for quite a while now, but I was having them every four months and I hate them. I'm fairly claustrophobic in addition to being a big fatty. Thus, squeezing me into the little tube, was twice as bad. I haven't had one since I've lost quite a bit, so I may tolerate them better now. Last time one was scheduled, they took me back 10 minutes early and I stood there looking at the little tube, talking to the tech about how small it was and wondering if it was possible to get stuck. By the time the got me on the tiny, uncomfortable, table - I freaked out! So I never had the last one. I suppose I should mention it to my Dr. that it's been a while. CAT scan's are just uncomfortable too. I know that the equitment is made for normal folks, but with so many people in the US overweight, you'd think they'd make them wider or something. Anyway, I'm rambling. I hope you get good results! And stay OP with me!

Thin: You posted AGAIN! I'm so glad! Sorry to hear about hubby's job. They talked about doing a furlough here for state employees a while back, but nothing came of it. And now we're all getting 4% raises? (The first raises in years, I might add.) I'll never figure out budgets...not surprisingly - I don't think the government can either!

Angela: My best friend also has marital problems right now...although not to the having to go "think" stage just yet. I find it almost impossible to stay OP when she and I are together. She wants to sit and talk, with a full-fat mocha cappucino or cake or both! Standard "food fixes everything" thinking. I hope things work out for your friend. Good for you staying OP!

Terri: Baby horse?

Has anyone hear from 2Cute? I've been wondering about her and her sister.

We have entirely too many ladies MIA right now! Lesley? 2Cute? Valerie? Sue? Charlotte?

Do you know that 300+'s own Zelma is in a slimmer of the year contest? http://www.slimmingmag.com.au/ Click "diet" then "slimmer of the year" and give her a vote! Vote early, Vote often!

Well, time for my next hearing, so I best rush off! I'll check back later and, echoing Terri - stay cool and stay OP ladies!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #3  

Good morning, dear hens.

Yesterday went well, both exercise and diet-wise and I finally lost another pound!

Today I have a slight migraine and am just gonna take my pills and lay in the shade and either read or sleep til it goes away. We are having our date night tonight and I need to watch what I eat for lunch so I won't go over the caloric allotment for the day. For breakfast I had some GoLean cereal w/ nonfat soymilk and a small banana. This all came to 250 calories which ought to leave plenty of room for yummy fish tacos tonight!

God bless you all,

Celery
Old 07-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #4  

Celery: WTG on the loss! Every pound counts!

Thought I'd list my fast-food, OP lunch today. Roly Poly Tuscan Turkey Sandwich on low-carb wheat tortilla. 12 inch. 456 cal. 8.4 grams fat 10 grams fiber and 20.2 net carbs. 8 WW pts. and totally YUMMY!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #5  

Default my intro

Hi everyone,
I just joined and thought this looked like the place for me. I'm 41 so I should fit in just fine My name is Sheri and I am just starting my journey again. I gave up for a long time, but have fresh motivation to pull myself together. I'm looking forward to making friends and finding my place here.
Hugs,
Sheri
Old 07-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #6  
Hang In There

Lillion, I heard from 2Cute today and she is doing okay, her sister is doing better again, has been moved to a nursing home, is still bedridden, but sitting up some and I think talking to them, But her prospect is still very critical.
2Cute is home for a few days, with a lot to catch up on there.

We got word that a friend died this morning. Around the first of the month she entered the hospital because she was tired, and they discovered she had pancaretic cancer. She only lasted about 3 weeks.

My work has been unusually quiet this week. Something must be brewing!!!

I finally got my new teeth today. The partial that I've been waiting on since March. Feels really funny and I haven't learned how to eat with it in yet. Maybe that'll help with the weight loss huh?

I've made it to exercise everyday this week except today and that was because I had to be at the dentist early. So almostt 2 perfect weeks... How long is it supposed to take to make a habit??? Am I almost there???

Well, that's all I can think of today. Hope everyone stays cool.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #7  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi girls! Here we are again. After 1:00 AM!!!

Been gathering all my paperwork for tomorrow's BIG run as a :showgirl". Lots of movie trailers to check. I'm sure it will take me all day.

I've got a lunch date with the ladies from the Nursing Home my dad was in. We get together once a month for lunch. Nice bunch of ladies. Most of them have lost their spouses. A couple had a mom in and I guess there are a couple whose loved one is still living, but not many. We all became friends as we would go to feed lunches or dinners to our people and after they've passed we still are keeping up the friendship.

Food has been decent. I'm not totally "on" but I'm working on it daily. I'm gaining my PMS weight this week but no other symptoms so who know's whether Mother Nature will show this month or not. As long as her symptoms don't come with her I don't mind so much!!! I know, TMI!! Sorry.

Lilion: Cute about your mom's idea of success! Moms, gotta love 'em! Your lunch sounded good. We don't have that particular chain here.

Celery: Good job playing lean during the day so you can splurge a little at dinner. That's what good planning will do for you. GREAT job on the pound DOWN \!/

Sheri: Welcome to our little corner of the world. We're glad to have you joining us. What type of plan are you on?

BarbG: Glad you're doing so well. 21 days is the sign of a new habit, you've only got one more week to go until the "magic" kicks in. Bout time the teeth came in. You'll get used to them. *No excitement at work? That's a first.

Terry: Did the workout on the bike in the morning help with the stress? I'm getting antsy to get my evil machine set up in "my" room.

Ruth: That's the pitts about the tests. My doc said something about a colonoscopy since I turned 50 two years ago. I keep putting her off. Finally, this last time I told her, I don't want to do it at this size. I've seen my mother at 100 pounds lighter than I am be soooo uncomfortable on the skinny little gurneys they provide. And I've seen my girlfriend's husband who's 60 pounds heavier than I am be totally uncomfortable when he went for his heart cath. I'm just not doing it unless I have to. Shame on me.

Ok, girls, I've gotta run and get some sleep. Full day again tomorrow. Take care. Love ya bunches!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:53 AM   #8  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Ok, CAN SOMEONE JUST SHOOT ME PLEASE???

I am going way over the top here! I learned a long time ago that I have a bit of a, shall I say, "obsessive nature" I also learned that those of us with such an infirmity have a tendency to engage in those behaviors more once we start getting cleaner with our food. Something about being "more vulnerable". I'm sure some of you know what i'm talking about.

Any way, it started with a new spice rack...now that sounds fairly benign you might say. I was concentrating on a new "lifestyle" and way of eating, why not start with a new set of spices? Of course, who can be serious in the kitchen without a kitchen scale? Or in the bath without a new bath scale with all the bells and whistles? Certainly not me! Then it was, hmmm, these knives are really old and don't work that well. I NEED a new set. Ok, a new set of knives. Then it was, ground meats, especially any that are lean are getting so expensive and then you don't actually know what your getting even then. Soooo, I should grind my own! Yup, a new grinder so I can do my own. Yesterday, I heard a little voice calling me from the shelves. It was the cutest 1.5qt crock pot. "Take me home, take me home..." Awww...Soooo Cuuuuuute. Besides, I'm going back to school in a few weeks, i'll need the extra time. Now, it's a dehydrator! I love sundried tomatoes, to much salt; "Just Tomatoes", very expensive; dried fruits and veggies for snacks always have something added! !@#%*%#!

Do you see??? Pheewww...ok, I feel better now. Thanks for letting me rave! I think it's over now.

Barbara, thanks for the update on 2cute. Sorry to hear about your friend. Scary, she went in for being tired, and no other signs.

to Sheriengle. Hope I didn't scare you away! I'm sure i'm not contagious *twitch*

Lilion, I work with a number of "youngsters". A lot of them don't have a clue. I feel so old when I mention something as arcane as *gasp* the Beatles, or just last week it was Jerry Lewis. They went "huh?" *sigh*

Celery, sleep is good! On the loss.

Terri, is there some reason you can't have snacks in your diet? Why torture yourself? Just include them on purpose and make them count nutritionally.

Angela, been there done that with the friends. It can be so stressful even on you. Take care of yourself as well.

Thin, Ouch, sorry for the time off. It's hitting a lot of places. Does that mean possibly more time for you?

Have a good night everyone!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:02 AM   #9  
Michigan Old-Timer

Karen: Look at the bright side, you've got NO excuse now not to lose some mega pounds. If only buying stuff made THAT easier! You might want to try a bulk foods store for the spices to fill that rack though as spices can get VERY expensive. Honey having to take days off won't mean more time for me, it will mean I have to work twice as hard to make up for the lost pay. He says they can take one day a month til the end of the year or 5 days in a row to make a week off. He said he'll do the one day a month because there's a chance that things will look brighter in the 4th quarter and they may cancel the furlough days. Well, if you've already taken them, you won't get them back. I think they can claim unemployment if they take them all in one week and I'd rather gamble that things will NOT look up and get the $$$$ than to think that it might end up being only a couple of days. Don't know what Honey will decide.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #10  

Default Good Morning

Thanks for the welcomes. I'll be starting WW on Monday. I've done the program before and did well....then got pregnant I had no problem staying on program so i'm hoping it will be the same again. Hope everyone has a great Friday!!!!!!
Hugs,
Sheri
Old 07-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #11  
Michigan Old-Timer

Good morning, everyone! Just checking in before going out. Revolving door here.

Sheri: Good for you starting WW. It IS a great plan, balanced and flexible. I saw you filled out a bio. Thanks. Most of us have ours in there too in case you get curious. I see you mentioned your fiance`. When's the wedding? Do we get to help you make plans??? haha

Gotta run, girlie girls. My day is starting off late already. Gosh, I hate that!!! See ya soon. Love ya bunches!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #12  

Hi Sherie, how nice to meet you! Welcome to the henhouse!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #13  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

It's FRIDAY! And so far it's been a nice day. Not nice outside, mind you...it was supposed to rain and get cooler. So far it's sprinkled and made it more humid...but I feel GOOD today!

I think it has something to do with yoga. Yesterday's class was GREAT! It just kinda "clicked", you know? I did all the poses with very little difficulty, remembered to breathe, and finished up feeling really, really good! Had a nice, OP dinner, courtesy of DH who cooked, watched a movie with him and had a relaxing evening. Today, casual Friday! I'm wearing my slimmest size 20 jeans and they are nice and loose. No bra! Seriously, I'm wearing a cami with a built-in bra and a shirt over, not awfully flattering, but way comfy! I just kinda feel attractive - I just feel good all over.

It's one of those days when I feel like I CAN DO THIS! I can stay OP and get to Onederland! I love days like this - they are too few and far between!

Sheriengle: I'm sure you'll like it here! You can't go wrong with this group of fabulous ladies! I do WW too - although I don't do meetings, I just follow the plan. I had old stuff from about 8-9 years ago that I started out with then someone with duplicates sent me the updated materials. My DH is doing it with me and that makes it way easier. It's a plan I've followed before and it worked then too...I just never stuck to it like I ought and would always gain back. But this time is different - it just feels different, if that makes sense?

Thin: Okay, I got you're showgirl job where you count the theater goers figured out, but how do you check movie trailers? Just watch them? You're jobs always intrigue me.

Karen: It may have been a complaint - but I loved your post! I wish I could get away with buying all that stuff - but I'm too much of a miser! Sounds like you have EVERYTHING you could possibly need now! WAIT! Do you have a veggie steamer? Pampered Chef makes great micro-cookers that I use! And a water purifier? I'M JOKING! Don't buy anything else!

Barbara: Thanks for the info on 2Cute - I'll keep sending those good thoughts her way. I'm very sorry about your friend. How sad and sudden.

Well ladies, I've eaten my OP lunch and now I must get back to work! Love to you all!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #14  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Uh-oh - we lost TERRI. I bet she's off playing with the baby horse without even telling us what make and model she got. (Just kidding Terri, I bet you're slaving away over torn flower beds and overtime at work. Miss ya!)

WELCOME SHERI!!! Glad you'll be off and running on Monday. WW is great - it's working for quite a few folks around here.

LILION - What a wonderful day you're having! Thank you for sharing it. It's uplifting!

Gotta run cuz my friend Barb is dragging me (kicking and screaming, to be sure) out to the tack shop and a movie. Just what I need to lift me up a bit more. Can't understand why I'm so bummed out today.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I'm here! I'm here! Just didn't have much to say this morning.

We had a storm come through this morning and dropped the temps. Such a pleasure to be outside now. Of course, I spent the day at work so didn't get to enjoy it!

I should be up doing some housework. Time to clean the house and I plan on being gone tomorrow. I also don't get much done on Sunday.

I think DH and I are going out to eat this evening. We haven't gone out to eat at night since we moved down here over a month ago. We've eaten out after church a couple of Sundays but that was at a small town diner. That was more like a meal at mom's instead of eating out.

Speaking of eating at mom's - tomorrow will be a food landmine. I'll just have to limit my portions because I know the food choices won't be healthy.

No horse baby! I'm sure she's waiting for mom to be gone for a few days next week so that I'll be on my own (along with the vet).

DH got a thrill today. We installed a device that buzzes inside the house when someone comes up the driveway. We've had several times when it would buzz and no one is in the driveway. We figured it was birds or the neighbors horses walking at the fenceline. This morning, it buzzed and then buzzed again so he went to the window to see. Two deer were walking up the driveway and then hopped the fence over to the neighbors to head to their pond.

Valerie - How rude of your friend. I really hate it when Jan from work makes me go to tack shops with her. What movie did you see? Hope you had a great time and it picked up your spirits.

Lilion - Well, congrats on not gaining but sorry that you've not lost either. But it helps having days like you had today. Woot! I'm so excited for you that you're enjoying the yoga and that you're feeling great from it. Wish I could do that with the cami but alas, boobs too big and it would be way to obvious.

Sherie - Welcome! to the group. Good for you for going back to WW. Good luck. Jump in often so we can get to know each other better. Looking forward to it!

Barb.G - I'm sorry to hear about your friend. That is so scarey that her only sympton was that she was so tired and it turned out to be cancer.

Thin - Thanks for reposting all the recipes. I really need to check some out again. Sorry about the furlough thing. Cutbacks in one form or another are happening all too often. Unfortunately, it is a sign of where the US got caught taking our economy for granted and didn't pay attention to other foreign countries ramping up to join the capital markets. We will be outsourcing work to Poland and they can take a lot more of our jobs. Very sad for us American workers. (Sorry, no offence intended to others from other countries)

Karen - The snack problem at work is that its usually a snickers bar or something like that. I should get better organized and yes, work a healthier snack option in.

Celery - Hope your headache feels better!

Okay, I have to get a few things done before we head out for dinner.

Have a great Friday night!
Closed Thread