Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #1  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose!!! #76

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Welcome!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #2  
Vortex

After having basically no love life for 5 years, suddenly I'm adrift and confused! I mentioned one friend who's maybe interested in more... he's from Milwaukee, so I'll call him Mr. M. Meanwhile, Mr. Peru, who had asked me out twice last summer and then abruptly dropped me and acted like he'd never been interested in anything more than friendship, asks me to dinner last night, saying others were coming, but then the others all cancelled (supposedly) and he tries to seduce me! I was quite interested in Mr. P last summer, but have only seen him very casually (this is the kind of town where you can't help but run into people you know) for a whole year, and suddenly BAM. Meanwhile, Mr. M, who on the whole I think is more stable, is, if he's interested, moving very slowly, which is fine. But it IS hard, being alone as long as I have, being middle-aged, overweight, overeducated, and living in a teeny weeny town, to pass up opportunities for romance. So I gotta decide how to deal with Mr. P...

Ruth—Getting back on is what counts!

Terri—Good work! Re: men, see above ? Sounds like a busy busy weekend!

Paula—Stick to your guns at that appointment. You’re absolutely right—it’s YOUR life, you’re doing this for you.

Lilion—Angela is my “real” name. Alice is my, um, sort of pen name. WTG ignoring those donuts! Eating out is terrible for me, too. I find that if I plan for it—knowing that I’ll use half my day’s calories at one meal when I eat out—I can stay OP, but the unexpected dining out means I have to make up for it over a period of days, and I want to try to make that a rare event.

Sue—From that ticker, looks like you’re making good progress. If it takes melting down now and then, so be it!

Celery—Glad things are looking better scale-wise... we can never take those little blips too seriously! ?

Valerie—Hope you got that weekend at home.

BarbPA—Sorry baby was sick! It’s so hard when you can’t even explain it to them ? Hope sleep keeps getting a little better.

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 07-08-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #3  

Good Evening Ladies!

Wow! What a day. I am beat! Today started like any other, getting up, getting ready, off the dog school. On the way there I started talking to DH about what lazy slobs we really are. We have endless lists of things that need done around the house and we NEVER do anything. We have 1/2 finished projects for months upon months. I bought paint and primer for my family room over a year ago. Still sitting in the garage. You get the idea. Well, we decide we have to quit this. So, we get home, get some lunch, and then go out to check this bad spot on the soffit that needs repair. On the way back into the house, we get to pulling up some grass that has impinged on a landscaped area. And then we pulled some more, and more, and finally we spent the entire day weeding that bed, the big bed in the front yard and redoing all the edging. We probably put in five hours today, mostly on our knees.

Food...bad. After all we were busy and didn't cook so we ended up at Ryan's = again! But I figure I got a LOT of exercise. Now we just have to do it again tomorrow and the day after, etc. etc. We do have archery and fighter practice tomorrow. We'll see how bad that kills the chore momentum.

Vortex: Wow! So Mr. P just came out of no where with the seduction thing? That's a shocker! I can't say that never happened to me in my younger days (when, frankly, I was a bit of a tramp ) But I'm glad that I don't have to worry about that stuff now that I have morals! Maybe Mr. P was looking for a good time - or maybe he's decided he shouldn't have been so hasty last year! I'm sure you'll find out in time. (He's certainly closer than Mr. M, but maybe Mr. M is worth waiting for.)

Well, I just thought I'd drop in a quick note. I'm gonna collapse for a few minutes...and then shower and go to bed!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:17 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 7"

Lilion - Maybe you could excavate half the provalone? I hear you on the paint - DD's new bedroom color has been on the living room floor for 2 months now.

Celery - I sort of hate to tell you, but I can go up 2 or 3 pounds for no good reason, down 5 the next, and up 1 the next.
So, while I weigh myself every day, I try to only pay attention and actually report once a week. I weigh myself Sunday morning before breakfast, because I figure that's probably when I'm lightest.
And about the pizza - I've tried making homemade - split a whole wheat pita, tomato sauce, then veges, then skim mozzarella, Put it in the microwave.
Takes care of the craving.

Valerie - thanks. My boss will be supportive, I'm sure, it's just that being a tech writer with an unemployed (but on SS) husband,
I'm used to being the one perceived as easiest to let go, if the business runs into problems, and when you work in hi-tech, it happens. So I really be want to be perceived as valuable, and reliable, and never ask for anything.
Flaxseed oil sounds interesting - I'm taking an Omega 3 fish oil capsule, but I take one with peppermint oil added, so the burps are tasty.
Cheer up about the puppy - ours ate DD's Dance Dance Revolution pad the last time we put her in her cage.

Karen - that bread does sound interesting. Between you and Valerie, maybe I should read up on Fat Flush.

Terri - I've been on hand to whelp puppies - do you have to help with horse birthing?

Barb - So sorry you had to travel with a sick baby - DD was really prone to "ears", but thank God, they do outgrow it.

Vortex - Relax and just enjoy it - let them come to you.

Well, I started doing Fitday to figure out what I am eating - cholesterol comes from saturated fats - can you spell cheese, eggs, and meat?
All the things I was eating on South Beach. So I'm trying to eat tofu (thank heavens I like it), cut out the cheese, and see what I can do. Also want to have something to take to the dietician.

DH and I took our bikes to the shop, got the seats anchored down, some chain oil, bought turkey tenderloins (not at the bike shop, the butcher).
Then we went to the Rec Center, and, instead of exercising religiously, we goofed around and played. I really did get in exercise, because I LIKE
to swim.

I guess I just don't like change.

Sue
Old 07-09-2006, 01:33 AM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Bless me father for I have sinned...

I'm supposed to weigh myself once a week on Wednesday. I had a sneaking suspicion that a high sodium meal may have kept some water weight. I just HAD to weigh myself this morning to check. Sure enough, down another 2.4 pounds. I am sorely ashamed! I promise it won't happen again...
Old 07-09-2006, 06:05 AM   #6  

Smile Good morning!

Good morning chickies, Well, my efforts to climb back on the wagon have hit a snag. I am half the day on program and half the day off! I start the day doing everything right, then by afternoon all of my resolve has melted. What to do, what to do? I can't believe a few days of being off program can get me so far off track. Now I realize how dumb it is to get off to start with. For some reason that even I can't explain, I just keep doing that same dumb thing. Now I am afraid I will gain back what I lost if I don't get myself under control. Simple isn't it? Just do it!!

can'tforgetthis, That darn scale can really derail you if you aren't careful. It will show gains where there aren't any, for no apparent reason at times. Thank goodness it also goes down at times when it probably shouldn't. I have tried weighing daily, not good! I have tried weighing weekly, sometimes not good! We just have to keep plodding along and hope!

Vortex, You are right, getting back on is what counts, now if I can just drag this big old butt of mine back on that wagon! Puff, puff. Good luck with the two suitors....be careful. Oh heck enjoy the attention.

Lilion, yep, those zucchini bit the dust would I deprive those things of water? You bet I would. HEE HEE! You have really been working out in that yard girl. Want to come and weed my flower beds?

Sue, The cholesterol thing is the reason I haven't tried SB. I am afraid of all of the meat etc. My GP said that kind of diet scared him. I know it is supposed to be healthy. All of the diets and information out there on the various diets can get you so confused! I finally decided to count calories and try to be sensible about what I eat. My one thing I do try to avoid is sugar.

Well, girlies, I don't have much to write about this morning. The only thing I have been doing since mini vacation, is cleaning and putting veggies and peaches in the freezer, not exciting things to write about. We live in a no red light town...Yawn! I won't go so far as to say nothing ever happens here, but when it does, we don't even make the news. We have a lot of though.

Have a super day. Ta! Ruth
Old 07-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #7  

Well, talking about weighing in on Sunday morning, so I may as well report...

2 lbs down!

This AM I went out to brunch with a girl friend, and ate BACON. The menu really had nothing much healthy (no SALADS, for heaven sakes), so I ate one pancake as well. So, that takes care of my splurge for the week.
We became friends in LaLeche league, back when our kids were babies - her oldest is now starting to fill out college applications - how does this happen?

Well, I'm going to work in the yard, and then we'll go to work out - so far, this summer has been really nice here in Michigan.

Take care, all.

Sue
Old 07-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I am being a total slug today. Total.

We were off early for church and after the services stopped at a local restaurant for lunch. Very good food and we spent $15 for the two of us. Pretty much a home cooked meal. We both said that we'd prefer to come almost home to have lunch there rather than spend $40 up in the city. I've had a two hour nap this afternoon. I rarely take naps like that so I must have needed it.

Yesterday, I worked hard around the house. Trying to unpack and keep the house clean has been very hard. But yesterday I both unpacked, organized and gave the house a good cleaning. Five of the Sunday school ladies were coming for the evening and I wanted the house clean. They loved it. They played with the horses, they loved the house and the place, and they loved sitting in the back yard and playing in the pool. They brought great food (good Baptist women ) and stayed until almost 9:30. I told them that this could be their home away when they wanted to get away. We had a great time.

With all that work done yesterday, it was nice to have this afternoon to do nothing. I will work on bills here before too long though.

We did get our DVD players all hooked up and I've watched a couple of movies. Deceived with Jennifer Aniston. Not bad. Another was A Clockwork Orange. With Netflix, I have gotten many old movies that I have never seen and had ordered that one. I had no idea what a fruitloop movie it was. Granted, I slept though most of it last night. I could see no point in the movie other than at the time it was made, it was perfect for that LSD trip. That one will be going back tomorrow.

Sue - Congrats on the 2 pounds down. Time passes much too quickly. Enjoy the yard work and the workout! We've been watching Ginger closely and mom is supposed to be on hand to be midwife. I haven't been around the birthing in a very long time and mom was with her on the last two babies.

Ruth - Come on! You don't want to get back on the scale and see it go back into threesville!

Karen - Congrats to you too! I admit, I weigh daily. Some days its discouraging. I find when I'm not weighing, then I find the pounds start creeping up because of denial. Whatever works for you!

Lilion - Good job on hitting that To Do list. I'm terrible about the procrastination thing too. I had painted our master bathroom (in the old house) purple and then we replaced the two rack. I left the paint can sitting on the floor for two years because I needed to do some touch up painting. I finally managed to get it done right before it went on the market for sale. Took me all of 10 minutes and I procrastinated it. Its an evil habit!

Angela - Interesting dilemmas with the men. Go slow and keep your options open. Enjoy both of them!

BarbPa - Poor Carlton! Poor mama! Are you back to work on Monday? I hope you get a little rest today. Welcome home!

Celery - Congrats to you too on your loss! The waffles and blueberries sound really good. I'd love to be able to have mini horses one day. They are so cute. Did you hike?

Valerie - Yes, someday we shall ride together. I would love to come spend a few days and have lessons! I bought Bear the cutest rope monkey when he was a puppy. He destroyed it in no time. Dogs. Thanks for the reminder about Flaxseed. I need to get back to eating my steel cut oats in the mornings with blueberries and flaxseed.

An update from 2Cute - her sister is still in serious condition. They have had her on and off a ventilator and her sister is showing an amazing will to live. However it is costing her. For those of you who pray, please pray for 2Cute's sister, the doctors to make wise decisions, and for 2Cute as well.

to everyone else. I suppose I should get up and do some laundry and putz around. The horses would like to be fed too.

Have a good end to the weekend!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #9  
Vortex

Just a quick check in. Sounds like Sunday was an off day for a lot of us, and me too.

Terri--Prayers, hugs, good thoughts, for 2cute and her family. Thanks for the update.

On the man front, just a clarification: both Mr. Milwaukee and Mr. Peru work at my university, having in previous lives occupied those exotic locales, Milwaukee and Peru. Thanks for the advice, I will try to enjoy, but I don't want to mess with anyone's life. The last man I was really in love with killed himself. Mr. P tells me he's been pretty depressed--as in cancelling classes last semester because he didn't want to get out of bed in the morning. That spells DANGER ZONE to me. But he is a friend and I don't want to hurt him. Oh, and he's a very attractive man with a very seductive line, too.

Normally I try not to talk too much about such things on here, but I let myself a little yesterday because I know when I get too distracted I lose my HEALTH FOCUS. Which I lost today. I wasn't too terribly bad, I just... didn't plan, ate what I felt like, and didn't exercise. That's "all."

And, another bad habit, here I am at 12:30, not yet in bed, without anything at home for breakfast. So I'm leaving the office now, will stop at the grocery store and get some instant oatmeal and some fruit, and tomorrow I will 1. Stick to the eating plan; 2. Exercise for at least 25 minutes; and 3. Insist that anyone else who wants a chunk of my day works around that.

Hope all of you who were off plan with me are back on tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #10  
Hang In There

Just checking in to say that I've read everything, and I'm thinking about everyone, BUT I am deterimined to start this week out right so I don't have time to write much. I'm on the way to the health club to exercise!!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

What a perfect day to stay home!!!! Its raining. A little rumble here and there and its dark. The dog just snored and I wish I could too. I've been pondering being sick but I better not as I might need it when Ginger has her baby. Plus I need to be home Thursday morning for the farrier (feet trimming). Dang it.

I did my pilates and other conditioning work this morning. I am beginning to feel the muscles coming back. So that means I need to kick it up a notch this week.

I have bible study tonight so another late night. I won't be doing any walking if its raining or been raining all day. Don't want mud dog feet on the carpet. Since I have to go to a church meeting on Wednesday, I am pondering not going to the study class tonight.

Angela - Thanks for the clarificatioin and sorry if I sounded glib or anything about it. I do remember about your friend. I hope that Mr P is working with a doctor to deal with the depression. Just be sure to take care of you. Speaking of taking care of you...working at the office until 12:30?? Wow, you are a night owl! Let's get a tighter grip on focus this week. We can do it!

Barb.G - Yahoo! Hit that gym!

Okay, I guess I have to go get dressed and get my stuff together to hit the road. Stupid bills that have to be paid. What's up with that?

Have a great OP day!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #12  

Good Morning Ladies!

Angela: I was thinking Mr. M lived in Milwaukee and was a long-distance thing! That does make things more complicated, doesn't it? Well, perhaps just sit back and enjoy the male attention. It's always nice to have! Hope Mr. P is working on his problems, for both your sakes.

2Cute: A million hugs and prayers to you and your sister.

Terri: You'll pass those on, right? Thanks for the update. Glad your weekend was nice. Sounds like you had a good visit with the church ladies.

Ruth: I'm still not back on track. Not losing, not gaining, and sure not OP. I'll kick your butt if you kick mine!

Can'tforgetthis and Sue: on those losses!

Well, I was right. Archery and fighter practice put the skids on the chore momentum. We got up and I did do yard work for about three hours, stopping at noon. We showered and changed and got to archery at 1:00. Fighter practice for DH followed that and if we'd gotten done at 3:00 or 4:00 we might have done okay, but we got done at 5:45! DH was beat (literally ) and we got home, he showered, changed and we took DS to the sitter (he stays there two days a week then Krissie stays with us two days a week) and we went to see Pirates of the Caribbean. It was a really fun movie - even if it did end with bit of a cliffhanger - which I hate. Just watching Johnny Depp makes it all worthwhile - he is so funny in these movies. I suppose we should have waited to see it with DS, but we've got nothing against going twice. Anyway, didn't get home until nearly 11:00 and not to bed till after midnight. TIRED!

My friends Landlord troubles have raised their ugly head again. Got a demand letter for the $650 June rent and another $900 in "cleaning and repairs" complete with a ton of photos. You know, I'd be appalled at the condition of the place, except my friend says the woman CHANGED THE LOCKS before she could go back to clean the place and so she never got a chance to clean and carry out the trash. AND some of the things she is claiming are pre-existing - water damage to the ceiling by the fireplace - small stains on the hardwood floors, a piece of ripped wallpaper - etc. They were there when my friends moved in! At least I have a couple of witnesses on those issues. But I'm just sick - again! I SO don't want to deal with this crap! I don't even bother to try to collect from my own tenants because I hate this stuff so much and I still get stuck in the middle of someone elses stuff. I haven't even told her yet.

Well, another day, another attempt at being OP. Breakfast was fine. Lunch will be WW menu at Applebees. Dinner - well, who knows? I'm going to yoga right after work and then an SCA meeting at 7 so I won't even go home between work and the meeting. I suspect I'll grab subway or something.

Well, I need to get moving. I seriously need coffee today! Later ladies!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #13  

Good morning ladies!

This weekend had potential to be a disaster diet-wise but turned out better than I expected. My biggest downfall is restaurants. If I spend all that money for food I am gonna clean my plate, by golly! I am trying to avoid restaurants but I wound up at two of them this weekend. At the Chinese place I ordered a dish that, to my great delight, turned out to be ALL VEGGIES with a handful of peanuts. That was excellent and I didn't feel bad for cleaning my plate. We wound up with some friends at a restaurant after church for brunch. This was one of those places that piles your plate with eggs, pancakes, potatoes, meat, etc. I remembered to ordered from the "extras" menu and had scrambled eggs and toast. So, two restaurant victories and wahoo! Two pounds down on the scale this morning!

We did go on a little hike, mostly surveying the landscape for more serious hikes in the future. My dh says when I lose 30 pounds we will go for a little vacation where we're gonna stay in a cabin an hike around all day. Nineteen more pounds to go!

Well, today is Monday, the start of a new week. We can put all our little failings and cupcakes behind us and press forward. It's a new week.

-celery
Old 07-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #14  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

A really fast check in - We did get in Saturday night, but DH is out picking up a load now and I'm supposed to be getting everything ready to fly out the door, including his lunch, when he picks me up on the way to Hot-lanta with some "need-it-yesterday" freight.

Huge Hus and prayers to 2CUtE and her sister!

CELERY, Simon is a 7 month old dachshund, red, smooth-coat. Ornery as all get-out, but I love him dearly. My 6-7 yo collie mix has mixed feelings on the puppy, but mostly they play together great. Max just doesn't understand how any dog could be so naturally RUDE.

BARB - WHAT? a checkin without an office report?? I'm holding my breath for the next page....

KAREN - After having great success with South Beach, moving on to the Fat Flush is a fairly natural progression.... except for the "no DAIRY" part. DH is joining me and we're incorperating as much of the plan as we can given our life on the road. He's decided he needs to lose 50 pounds too. We're taking the cranberry juice, hot water with lemon (especially instead of coffee) and added fiber that are so important, as well as adding the Omegas via the Flax oil. I'm finding I REALLY enjoy lemon juice & flax oil as dressing on my broccoli instead of the dressing I had been using. I also found out what Kale looks like this weekend and bought some. Down with iceburg I guess...

See you all next week if not sooner.... Georgia, here we come!

OH - I've been good about getting the exercise in. Even went to Curves this a.m. Of course, then I came home and went back to bed. I'm fighting off something in my sinuses, throat and upper chest ever since I took that long moonlight walk in the chilly damp air up north. No time to be sick!

Now, everybody go find something ON PLAN to munch on!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #15  

Terri - when you finish at your place, how about you come over to mine?

Lilion - I keep telling myself, there's got to be a balance between fun and chores - I just want nothing but fun and relaxing.
Your Sunday sounds just about perfect to me - we're saving Pirates for DD's return from camp (end of week - house is starting to be quiet)
I bet you did really well in real estate/contract law in school, but didn't like it. That woman sounds like a WITCH
(just change first letter).
Do they have the option of putting the sandwich contents on a bed of lettuce? One of our places has it, it's pretty good. I keep little packets of lo-fat dressing in my desk, it's much better
than buying the fast food brands. I use Marzetti's fat free vinagrette - Ordered a carton through Gordon food service - have about 6 months worth.

Celery - congratulations - 2 restaurant victories in one weekend.

Valerie - I'm impressed - juggling exercise and trucking. Way to go, girl! Kale is my evil vege - my father's mother used to have kale at every holiday, but she never washed it - to this day, the smell of kale makes me feel grit on my teeth.

Well, DH got some furniture moved out of the house and into the the back house - it's so neat to see our bedroom floor.

I've been doing Fitday for 5 days now - I've stayed under 1600 calories every day. Today was also my rest day from exercise - I'm just sorting books.

You all take care. See you tomorrow.

Sue
Closed Thread