Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Volume 34

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Welcome!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #2  

Will be back later after lunch and maybe a nap!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #3  
I'm on my way!

I'm baaaack! You girls put a smile on my face! It was nice to see so many posts in the short time I was gone! I love it!

Well, I took the boy to get his hair cut. Since we were early we went next door to petsmart to get Jaime a new leash since she ate her last two! Andrew also picked out an orange frisbee for her. It was the closest color to yellow...his favorite color right now!! Anyways, we had about 8 minutes before the sportsclips opened so he walked along the brick wall out front and I sat on it! Figures huh? Just as we sat down more people came to get in line. Glad we were the first..no waiting! Its a first come first serve place and they only had two stylists working today. So with that done, and since he was a good boy and sat still we were on our way in under 15 minutes. We stopped at walgreens and I told him he could pick out a valentine chocolate. So he picks out a red plastic heart with M&M's! Lucky kid! Then we go through the drive up at Mcdonalds and he wants....get this....a cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, french fries and iced tea! Can we say oink oink...wonder where he gets THAT from! He is so little too...so I get the 2 cheeseburger value meal and a chicken nuggets happy meal and I ate the small fries from the happy meal and one cheeseburger and would you believe he ate every bite of the nuggets, burger and big fries!?? And now he is eating his M's as he calls them! He is having a growth spurt. Just 2 weeks ago I could open the freezer door while he was standing at the fridge and it would clear his head. Last week I opened it and knocked him square in the forehead! He looks at me and says Mommy you hurt me! I sure hope he has his dad's metabolism...looks like it for now! Can't get pants to fit his waist that match his length! If the waist fits the length is too short, if the length fits the waist is too big!

Ramble ramble ramble!!

Elmay...Andrew is 5 going on 25. He is quite a character lately! Growing up so darn fast! I can remember the delivery like it was yesterday!

Lilion your exercise last week was way MORE than MY exercise!

Wendy how did you get put in your place??

Hi Barb!

OK gotta get the beds stripped and made up. And if I get stuff ready for work tomorrow I won't have to be doing it tonight and I can relax! I'll check back again later!

Have a wonderful day! MichelleK
Old 01-22-2006, 01:47 PM   #4  

Talking

Hi again everyone.

Well, I'm taking a break for some lunch. I bought some instant pad thai noodles the other day and brought them with today. They taste pretty good for something you dump water on and nuke, but they're too hot to eat so I thought I'd post again.

Doing okay work-wise. Got four more decisions to write then I'm almost to December. That's really, really bad....I don't know how I got so behind.

Anyway, Elaine these are my babies!

They are boston terriers and we got them Sept. 5. They were born July 2, so they really are just puppies still, 6 1/2 months old. You can't tell from the photo, but they are about 15 inches tall and weigh about 18 or 19 lbs now. Boston's come in small (10 to 15 lbs), medium (15 to 20 lbs) and large (20 to 25 lbs). Ours are the large type. We expect them to be about 25 lbs fully grown. We know their uncle was out of the breed standard at 30+ lbs. They are wonderful, hyper, silly little dogs. Some days I think I must have been absolutly MAD to have gotten two. Other days I think they are just the best. They are very smart, easy to groom, a little headstrong when it comes to training. They also are STRONG like little bulldogs. Not the best dog for little kids since they have a tendancy to nipping and jumping up.

Wendyinnm: Sounds like you are on the right track! Have fun!

Michelle: I had to laugh when I was reading your post about your lunch with Andrew...my first thought was "Growth Spurt". Dustin eats like a pig right before he shoots up! I think I'm in for more clothes buying myself soon. Last night he ate 1/2 of a 12 inche meat-lovers type pizza! He NEVER eats that much pizza in one meal. He's tall and thin too...I always say I hope he get's his natural father's family's body type...and nothing else from them!

DH just called. He's thawing shrimp for stir-fry tonight. I decided I need a really low point day after the food-fest yesterday. So far I've had 7 and the noodles are 5. I figure the shrimp will be about 2, veggies 0, sauce for the stir-fry about 1 or 2 and rice 5 so that'll put me at 21 - WAY low...I can even have a snack and be fine! Then back to eating my points like I should tomorrow.

Well, my pad thai is now a congealed glob in the bottom of the container. Better eat it before it turns to paste! Not sure about this stuff...but had to try it since I love Thai. We'll see.

Later Ladies!

Last edited by Lilion; 01-22-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:50 PM   #5  
Dancing those pounds away

Barb ... I am so jealous of your rain. Oh how we need it here in Okla.
We keep missing any chances of rain. We are like 46 inches BEHIND in rain here.... Not good at all. I fear we will be rationing water in the spring and all of our trees and lawn will die off. We spent a lot on 5 BIG trees last spring.

Well ladies... I am going to work on getting my two bedrooms back into some kind of order. It amazes me what a mess I made just transferring my office.

So far so good food wise today.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #6  

Hi everyone -

I''m new to this forum and was hoping I could join this group. I'm 53 years old and weigh about 307.

I have been thinking about losing the weight I need to lose for years - I sometimes get started on something (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, programs from various books, etc.) then after a few weeks or a few months I get stressed out, bored with the food (or my life) and give up. It seems so overwhelming when one needs to lose over 100 pounds! I also have a big problem with hunger - if I eat much less than I'm used to, I get so hungry that I give in and eat too much. But I HAVE to do something very soon - I have so much pain in my low back, hips and feet that I can barely walk and I don't want to end up disabled. I still have a daughter to support (not to mention my pets) and I need to be able to function.

I've been checking out various books and diet web sites, plus debating on whether I should just create my own plan - but then feel like I would give up too easily since I wouldn't be accountable. I've tried and failed so many times that I'm afraid to start something and give up again, so I just do nothing. I'm trying to find something that I would actually stick to this time.

I'm curious as to what many of you are doing to lose weight at this time. If anyone would be willing to share what their plan is, or any thoughts on the above, it would be helpful. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Ediets, Diet.com or WebMD.com? (I hope that is OK to ask). They all look like they could be helpful, but I just can't decide.

Thanks,

Laelle
Old 01-22-2006, 06:35 PM   #7  

Hi Laelle

Welcome to the group. We're thrilled that you have found us and we are here to help. Congratulations for making the decision to do something about your health. It is very overwhelming but the best way to beat that is to focus on one thing at a time. One pound. One day. One meal. One hour.

I personally am following the Biggest Loser plan. It really is about making healthy choices in healthy portion sizes. I like the way they spread the calories during the day. It isn't much different than WW or most other plans. I really am trying to train myself to eat for health. I choose foods because of the nutritional value - cancer fighting, healthy fats, whole grains, calcium, etc. I think you have to find what you will enjoy and be committed to - and if that's your own plan, then go for it. Lots of people have been successful on WW or South Beach or Ediets. I, myself, got tired of paying a weekly or monthly fee. I've never tried TOPS but I hear they are cheaper.

I think the biggest thing for success is to journal and get a grip on your foods and feelings. I say that but it is hard to do. Even though I know its so important, I am not the best at it. But it will help you understand what works and what doesn't. Maybe you need to eat more meals during the day? What I like about BL is that with it, I have a snack both morning and afternoon to help keep the hungries away and they suggest a protein/veggie combo for snacks. Maybe you're not allowing enough calories? Maybe you need to spread your calories more evenly during the day? Also, being thirsty can mimick hunger.

Another key part is planning ahead. Stock the fridge with healthy foods. Get rid of the trigger foods. Plot what you will eat that day and determine the calories ahead of time - before you eat. That helps too because once you eat it, you can't undo the calories.

A lot of this journey is self-talk. Do you want it bad enough? We also will drop the Dr Phil bombs occassionally. Don't set yourself up for failure by wondering if you'll find something you'll stick to. By doing that, you're already saying the door is wide open. This isn't about "CAN", its about "WILL and AM". I will.... I am.... Not, I think I can, or I want to. Actually, Dr. Phil is a good resource too to help work through some of the emotional issues. Boredom can be an emotional issue that needs to be addressed too.

I hope this helps and doesn't sound too preachy.

Again, welcome!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #8  
I'm on my way!

Laelle welcome to the group! YOu will find all the support and encouragement you need right here with this wonderful group of women!

I am currently following the WW plan because I know it works! I lost 97 lbs in 10 months on this plan before I got pregnant with my son! I am struggling now to stay on plan but I am not giving up! I know if I work the plan it works! We all have bad weeks but the key is to keep on keeping on even when we have a bad time of it. Don't give up! So...keep coming here to post so we can get to know you and you us!! I look forward to learning more about you!

2Cute...before you know it you will be accustomed to the changes and it will be normal to you again! Wait and see!

Well, its time for the boy's bath! So I need to get off of here again! I'll catch up to you all later tonight or tomorrow! So come out and post so I can smile again!!

MichelleK
Old 01-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #9  
I'm on my way!

Teri...you snuck in on me while I was typing! But WOW...that was a powerful message! And oh so true! I am trying to make the right choices! I just have to remember how good I felt the last time I did the program and lost the weight! Hopefully that will motivate me to get my exercise in too each day because thats what I did the first time!! I walked 2-3 miles every day!

OK now I am outta here!!
Old 01-22-2006, 07:06 PM   #10  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Laelle!! I'm 45, and started last May at about 335+. My big breakthrough was discovering that I have huge cravings triggered by carbs, especially wheat products, my FAVorite food - bread. I really thought I couldn't live without it before, and if I splurge and have some it's hard to get back off of them, but when I DO get off the carbs (including 'tatas, pasta, bread & such) I don't have the cravings, I'm not hungry, and I've managed to lose weight for the first time in my life. This is the first time ever that I just can't see failure. I can only see success, which of course is easier to see now that I've made it 25% of the way to my goal. I hope that you'll stick around and share your journey with us - the challenges and the successes - we understand both sides, and this bunch of great ladies is a rock you can always return to.

HI EVERYBODY!!! I'm Baaaaa-ack! We've been truckin' up to Calgary, Alberta. It was one of those "Murphy's Law" trips - if it could go wrong, it did. And then some. It held up my exercise since it was so cold outside, but I'll be back on track tonight - promise! Only a week to go until weigh-in, and I really wanted it to be good this month since, well, you know how December went.

My last workout was in Rogers, Minnisota, last Wednesday. We're in Salt Lake City again, and I'm planning on hitting the Curves in the morning, but a good walk tonight would be a nice start. It's 34 degrees out, so I don't have an excuse to hide in the truck. After the 3 degrees I saw up in Canada, this is just like springtime.

WELCOME to any new members I may have missed while I was out truckin'. And I hope I can get up to speed with what the rest of you have all been up to. My best healthy wishes to all of you!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #11  

Thumbs up

Laelle

Like everyone else here, I am over 40 and was over 300 - 328 to be precise. I don't really know how I got there. I've been overweight my entire life and honestly cannot remember every purchasing under a size 16, even as a teen. Yep...I was "the fat girl". I've lost and gained and dieted and ate my way up the scale, just like everyone else.

On Feb. 18, 2005 my husband and I just looked at each other and said "we have to lose weight". And I dug out my old weight watcher's materials from a previous try and we started counting points. We still have a way to go...my hubby has lost 50 lbs and has 30 to go and you can look at my slider to see my progress. You must be ready in order to make this work. You have to say "I can do this". Because you CAN do this!

Everything Terri said is right on the money. 100 lbs or more to lose is just too big to focus on. You have to look at mini goals. You aren't going to lose 100 lbs. You are going to lose one pound. Then you'll lose another pound. To paraphrase a very inspiring lady named Catherine on the other 300+ board..."I haven't lost 73 lbs, I've lost 1 lb 73 times."

I love weight watchers because I still get to eat whatever I want. As a matter of fact, WW is really high carbs and low fat when you get right down to it. It works for me. I once was on a diet my Dr put me on. I was supposed to eat no more than 1500 calories a day, no more than 40 grams of fat and I was told to triple my carb intake. It worked for me and I lost at least 40 lbs but I stopped it and went back to my old ways eventually and gained it all back plus many more. Had I stayed with my high carb low fat diet I wouldn't have put the weight back on.

Now, Valerie can't eat carbs or she overeats. Some folks swear off sweets for good. You will find the program that works for you. I suggest you just pick one you think you can stick and try it. If it works and you don't feel too deprived stay with it. If you start with it and find that it just isn't working for you, try a different plan. But keep trying. Don't just quit and go back to your old ways.

Heck, I'm preaching...You know this stuff. You said
Quote:
I sometimes get started on something (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, programs from various books, etc.) then after a few weeks or a few months I get stressed out, bored with the food (or my life) and give up.
I suspect that the problem has been that you have gotten upset with the program for some reason, gone off of it and then felt "See. I can't do it. I may as well give up." It isn't the going off the program that causes you to fail at it, it's not going back right away.

You have to realize that you will have days when you'll overeat. That's okay. Overeating one time did not get you to 300 lbs. Overeating for a week didn't do it. To lose this kind of weight is a lifetime commitment. We aren't like those women who want to lose 20 lbs to look good in a swimsuit by Memorial day. This is for the long haul and you will need to find what works for you.

These ladies can tell you, I've gone off a dozen times, eaten too many fajitas or biscuts and gravy and come on here and whined about how bad I've been. I'm amazed I haven't had my butt kicked. I considered just stopping altogether when I got into a size 20...but changed my mind. I took the holidays off for the most part. Heck, yesterday I ate LOTS more than I should. But I am back on track now and hopefully losing again.

These ladies are wonderful and inspiring. Elaine and Terri blow me away with their exercise. On the other board there is Catherine who started at 599lbs and now is about 350 and just got married and Zelma who has lost 180 lbs and is nearly at her goal weight! Everyone has something to offer and the best support I could have had.

Well, I've rambled on. I hope you'll be very happy here! I look forward to getting to know you!

Valerie: Good to see you again! I know trucking is hard work, but I still envy you seeing so many sights! Way to go on the exercise...so cool you can find a Curves whereever you go and hop in for a workout!

Well, time to go...Believe it or not, I still have office work to do! See you all tomorrow!
Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #12  
Dancing those pounds away

WOW !!!! I am not a newcomer... but I blown away with all of the great posts to them. I just may have to print this page. AWESOME !!!!!

Now let me Welcome you Laelle. This is a great group .. and as you have just read.... there are a LOT of great supporters here.
Instead of adding any more suggestions here... I think I am going to go back and re-read what has already been written. Like I said... those last posts were awesome and I need to read and learn from them too.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:45 AM   #13  

Default You are not going to believe this!

I lost another post! I had written about half of a page and zap, gone again! If this one goes into outer space I will just have to quit writing to you chickies, cause I will self distruct!

ONE MORE TIME!

2cute, You are so right the girls gave excellent advice to Laelle. I need to follow that advice myself! I would send you some rain if I could. It is raing here this morning.

Lilion, Hope you get caught up on your cases soon. We don't want you to forget to come and visit us though. Play on the computer or work? HUUUUM, I say play.

Valerie, Glad to see you! You do such an awesome job staying op no matter where you are. That is so fantastic! I stay in one spot and mess up all over the place I am not dedicated enough I know.

I just lost this dang page again and managed to get it back, so I am going to post this much and start again! Ruth
Old 01-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #14  

This dang machine is going to drive me bonkers. I have never had this much of a problem before. Quick now let me finish!

Terri, That was really sound advice you handed out. You should be a WW leader, you know? I know you have changed plans, but they are a lot alike.

Laelle, There is not a lot I can add to what these wise women have said to you, except to say welcome and I hope you come and post often.

Michele, I saved you until last so you would have to read all of this drivel before you got to your name. LOL! How is it going? As you can see I am afraid to do too much with the smilies because I am afraid this post will diappear like the last two. I hope you have a wonderful op day.

What do you know? If I hurry this might actually make it to print. Ruth
Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #15  
wendyinnm

Good Morning GIRLEYS!!! I hope everyone had a great weekend and if not then you will have a better week!
Valerie I love Canada! I spent a summer in Milton Ontario. Hi Laelle! You will love these gals they are so inspirational! I luv em!
Okay girls I am waiting to go potty before I weigh myself LOL. Yeah what can I say I am full of ... positive vibes what did you think I was going to say??
I weigh in at LAWL this morning. I did not do well with my journal and that's okay. I did okay this weekend.
My son is 15 and he really pushes buttons with me. I did have a coffee cup of light ice cream during a semi meltdown. Amazing how our emotions can trigger that drive to eat. Notice that I didn't go for salad or anything healthy.
I am seriously going to start writing down my feelings when these stressful times come.
Terri do you suggest a certain Dr. Phil book? He is so "in your face" which is what I need!
I have to get going but wanted to say Hi to everyone and send out Thin Healthy Vibes.
Ciao4now
Wendyinnm
Closed Thread