Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Volume 28

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This is a group of friends dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Old 12-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #2  

Isn't that poinsettia beautiful? I love poinsettias.

It's Christmas Eve!!! I'm sure most of you are with families. Or still wrapping presents and cooking! We're settled in for the evening. Just the two of us and the dog.

We drove down to have lunch with mom, sis and BIL, a nephew and a friend of mom's. Mom and her friend will spend the day at mom's house tomorrow as both are widowed and kids live out of the area. And they are very happy to not be in the middle of a big family chaotic day. It was a good lunch out.

I've been over to walk Molly already and wussed out on Bear by giving him a bone to chew. Its been a rainy day and the wind is now blowing out of the north so I wussed.

I think we're done with the family stuff. Tomorrow we'll get up and make a special breakfast and then off to church. We'll have a lazy afternoon and make a special dinner. We're making his mom's spaghetti recipe which is weird because its with bacon, rotel, green pepper and onion instead of a beef meat sauce. But its good! we decided to take the grandson's gifts to DS#1's house and have him take them to their mom's where they are gathering tomorrow afternoon. That way the kids can have our presents on Christmas day. We haven't heard from DS#2 as far as getting together. Its perhaps a little different between father and son since son ruined father's van and couldn't be up front and honest about it. But we want their kids to have fun on Christmas.

I don't really have anything to yack about.

I hope that everyone is well and enjoying wonderful family gatherings. And just enjoy the food and no guilt.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #3  

I'm back. Here's a new workout out video. This is a for real DVD that you can buy.

Let "Baywatch" bombshell Carmen Electra show you all the finer points of one of the sexiest dance routines around: the lap dance. Featuring step-by-step instruction and guidelines that will help you incorporate more intricate moves into your own performance, this routine will give you a workout while you entice that special someone. You'll look better, feel better and add some sexy romance to your love life!

Old 12-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Merry Christmas, chickies!

We had dinner tonight and then we'll do breakfast and gifts tomorrow morning. I have a "showgirl" job to do at the theatre so I need to make an appearance there tomorrow afternoon before going to my IL's for dinner, gifts and dessert. Then back to the theatre for a late night check in. WooHoo! Fun Christmas! NOT!!!

Honey and I have been looking all day for a cutting board that I bought the "baby". He's a real Texas Hold 'em fan and this cutting board has poker stuff pictured on it. Real cute for his new house, but dang if we can find it.

Hope you are all having a good night. I took my mom back home and came back here to clean up. I did such a good job at clearing the table that I flipped the cake (3/4 of it was left) down the family room stairs. See, I told you it was going to be a fun Christmas!!! Do you know how nice frosting looks on carpeting????

#1 Son hasn't decided if he's staying here tonight or not. The "baby" says he's going home but he's sound asleep on the couch. I've still got a few more things to wrap, always do on Christmas Eve when I'd really like to go to bed.

My sinus infection continues to mess with my head. I'm hating everything these days! Oh well, pretty soon it will be on to the New Year.

Well, that was a pretty down and out post. I'm so sorry. I hope you are having a much better evening. I did roast a Prime Rib that turned out awsome. The boys really enjoy good beef!!!

Good night! Merry Christmas!

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town......

Terri: Funny you should mention the "lap dance". I bought a Cardio Strip Tease some time ago after seeing it hawked on The View. I haven't ever opened it. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure where it is anymore.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:02 PM   #5  

This is my first post and my first day. I am thrilled to find this site, but I have to ask this. How can I get that cool scale on the bottom of my posts. That has to be motivating to see it go down.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hi Trina, and welcome! Check out the signature options for the scale -- I always access it under "User CP".

All the presents are wrapped and under the tree. It looks beautiful. Andre has a Spiderman bike courtesy of "Santa" -- I think he's going to flip when he sees it. Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:01 AM   #7  

Default Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! I hope all of you are having a wonderful christmas.

trina, The board will be more active after the Holidays, I hope! This is a very nice group of ladies, I think you will like it here.

Needless to say...the diet or program has gone to h--- in a hand basket the last day or so. I am not GOING to stress over it. I am just going to get my rear in gear and start the new year tomorrow!

It is a wet morning here. My kids will have a rainy day to travel in. Two families live around Atlanta, the other about 65 miles from me. Sure am glad I don't have to get out in it.

Well troops, I hope Santa is good to all of you. See you bright and early tomorrow morning. I will be early, not so sure about the bright part! Ruth
Old 12-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #8  
I'm on my way!

Default We Wish You A Merry Chirstmas.......la La La La

OK OK I'll stop singing! I know I can't carry a tune to save my life!!

Good Merry Christmas morning!!

It was beautiful Christmas morning here! I had tears in my eyes! Andrew was soooo excited Santa came and brought him so many presents and stocking stuffers! He even found Santa's drivers license in the fireplace! He must have dropped it when he came down the chimney! It was so cute!

My favorite santa gave me a beautiful 14 kt gold diamond heart necklace! And a few stocking stuffers. I'm proud of him 'cause he did it all on his own! Usually he asks me what I want for Christmas and we go out to buy it together cause he doesn't have a clue about printers, computers, digital cameras, ktichen aid mixers. This year he didnt' ask so I figured I wasnt' gettin' nothing since he did spend all that money on the deck and pool! I was so surprised! I got him his authentic Eagles Jersey with HIS name on the back and a gift certificate to Skin Sense for a deep tissue massage. He's been wanting one for as along as I can remember...we just don't take the time to go!

Last night we had my mom and dad here to do our gifts and then our neighbors John and Sherry and James and Francine came over and we had drinks and appetizers. Sooo much food. I did the good deed and threw some of it out when I was cleaning up! I jsut don't want all that food in my house this week. I kept the stuff John would eat and I could eat on plan. We had a really good time! Today we are off to my sister's house for Christmas dinner...she decided to do it to give my mom and dad a break. They have done it so many years and since I was doing Christmas Eve she took Christmas day! Andrew will have fun getting more presents over there!

Terri I LOVE those pointsettas! They really caught my eye when I logged on here! I'm gonna try and steal one...not sure how to do it...

OK I better get back to playing toys with my son! I hope each and every one of you have a safe and happy holiday!

MichelleK
Old 12-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #9  

Talking

Merry Christmas Ladies!

I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday! So far mine has been very nice. My brother and SIL and nephew came to dinner Friday and we had a nice visit and really good food if I do say so myself! The puppies got to run wild thru the house since they are all really big dog people! That was fun. We left things, as we always do, with many wishes that we get together again soon and not wait a year in 2006! Sad.

Saturday found me with the in-laws. DH has a big family. I took the Reeses cheesecake I baked. Didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but it was still a hit. I didn't eat as much as I usually do, but way more than I needed! My SIL got me a pair of jeans, Just My Size 20's...I'm thinking about trying on an 18 at Wal-mart and exchanging if they fit. I also got a Wal-Mart gift card and know just what I'm buying with it...a mini wine fridge that holds 8 bottles. Something we wouldn't normally spend money on.

But today was the best. DS was happy, although the haul wasn't as big as usual. But I made out like a bandit! I'm about to totally embarass myself with a photo of me, opeing DH's gift!

Can you tell I was surprized? It was a beautiful siver and saphire bracelet...WAY more than our $50 limit. He insists he didn't spend enough (and that it was to make up for our anniversary that BLEW! He got me nothing, not even a card, for our 5th anniversary and we ended up eating dinner from Long John Silvers because we were stuck helping set up a camp-site for a medieval event.) Anyway, he is, at this moment, my hero! Unfortunately, I'm 1/4 inch too fat for the darn thing. So tomorrow I'm off to Kay's Jewelers to see if they can sell me a little 1/4 inch chain to span the distance!

If that photo isn't incentive to lose the double chin, I don't know what is!

Right now he's playing the Texas Holdum playstation game I got him. I'm glad he likes it, since the archery equiptment I ordered didn't arrive!

In a few minutes I'll go see about getting dinner started. Turkey again, and a few sides. Not as elaborate as Thanksgiving, but as we still have left-over turkey in the freezer, we'll try to get as much eaten as possible! I think we'll be eating turkey soup and turkey noodles, etc. frequently for a while.

Well ladies, I hope you all had a wonderful Chirstmas and may the rest of your holiday be merry!
Old 12-25-2005, 09:05 PM   #10  
Hang In There

Our Christmas was good. We had the boys, DIL and grandson here yesterday afternoon. We just had snack stuff and married son was off to his inlaws for a big dinner later. We didn't have much to spend, but the Omaha steaks we got them was a big hit. Needless to say GS loved his playstation 2 and games.

Today we went to my brothers for a Chinese Christmas exchange and dinner, and that went well too. Now we are looking forward to a much better 2006.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:04 AM   #11  
Michigan Old-Timer

Good morning my little lovelies!

Yes, it's really ThinThinker at 8:37 AM. I've been up since 6:00. Had to get to Target and see if they had any more stables left at 1/2 price! The nativity that we put under the Christmas tree was brought over from Germany with my great-grandparents and the stable itself has seen better days. We spotted a stable at Target a few days before Christmas and vowed that we would get up early and try and get one in the day after Christmas sales. It took two Targets but we were able to find one.

We also found an electronic key finder and George Forman with removeable plates on sale for much less than Honey paid for them so we bought those and will take the others back.

Next it was off to Marshall Fields because before Christmas Honey spotted a Waterford crystal ornament that he really liked and we wanted to see if they had any of those left. We were delighted to find they still had two, but disappointed that they were only 30% off and not 50%. Oh well. He got his ornament.

Yesterday was a bit less stressful. The boys liked all of their gifts even though there was really nothing "fun" for them. Of course #1 Son said "What's not fun about a drill press, shop vac, compressor and ladder?" They each got a crock pot and George Forman grill from my ILs and a fireproof box and CO2 detector from my mom. It was easy to shop for them with new houses.

We had Christmas Eve dinner here with my mom and then breakfast on Christmas morning. Afterwards we opened gifts here. Then Honey and I ran to the theatre for some counts. Off to my ILs for dinner. Drove my mom back home after dinner and went back to my ILs for gifts and dessert. Left there at 10:00 PM to go back to the theatre for more counts. Finally home to bed around midnight.

Today we're off to breakfast with some cousins. Then to the theatre once again to finish up some trailer checking. I do believe we might get a chance to actually see a show today. Of course, I'm so tired right now that I'll probably sleep through it.

My cold has not gone away. I'm still doing the vitamin C and Echinecea routine, barely holding it at bay. I hate to take anti-biotics if I don't have to so I'll fight with it for a few more days and then decide what to do.

Terri: I loved the poinsettas, they are such a vibrant red. I'm glad all of your Christmas visiting went well.

Trina: Welcome to our corner of the world. We're glad to have you joining us. For the tracker, go to "User CP" in the upper left hand corner of your screen. You'll get a list of options. Pick "Edit Signature". Right at the top of that next page you'll see "add a weight tracker to your signature" and it gives you a spot to click. The rest is easy, just follow the step by step directions.

Ruth: Glad to see you had alot of company for the holiday. That's always fun. I hope they all have safe journeys home. It's raining and yucky here too today. It was sleeting last night when we were trying to get from one place to the other. Very grey.

Michelle: I bet you just had a wonderful time with Andrew at Christmas this year. I love the Santa's Driver's License thing. How cleaver and what a great way to cement the idea that Santa is real!! Sounds like your honey was very good to you. You must have been a good little girl this year!

Lilion: Yes, that would be a look of shock and surprise on your face. What a nice gift! I can see by your expression that you really liked your new bracelet.

BarbG: I'm glad you had a nice Christmas. Sounds like you had lots of company too. I hope 2006 goes much better for you guys.

Well, you know how they say to throw stuff out so you don't eat it. Well, I did that one better. Christmas Eve I had gotten an Italian Cream Cake from Costco. BIG thing. Layer Cake. $14.95. Anyway, we each had a piece of it for dessert. 3/4 of the cake was left. My mom had already gone home and the guys had moved downstairs to watch TV. I was clearing off the table. I had the cake in one hand and a plate in the other. I have a "quad" so there are 8 steps leading down to the family room. Well..................I got from the dining room table, 1/2 way to the kitchen, right at the top of the stairs...........when the dang cake JUMPED out of my hand, did several sommersaults and rolled down the steps like a slinky. There was cake and frosting everywhere!!! Needless to say, there is NO leftover cake!

Ok, girls. I'm off for another day of "fun". See you all soon. Love ya bunches!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:14 AM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Hi! I think it was Lilion that asked - I believe the name of that song is "The Very First Nightengale's Song" or something like that. I heard it twice this year - I just love it! Cool Christmas gift, Lilion! I hope they get it sized for you, and that you are able to get it reverse-sized in the coming months!!!

Elmay, I'm so sorry - I thought at some point that Andre' was your SO - don't ask me where I got that idea! But he's the sweetheart in your picture, isn't he? I hope his Christmas was WONDERFUL and you spoiled him, too!!!

Thin, GOOD JOB on the cake down the stairs! GREAT idea, in fact!!! I'll have to try that next time cookies or something appear in the house. I don't even have to worry about the clean up - we don't have carpet on the stairs, and we DO have a multi-member clean up committee (Max, Bloo & DeeDee) that would never dream of leaving a single crumb on the floor!!

WELCOME TRINA! Glad you're here!

It's past my bed time so I won't be able to answer everyone - but I'd like to wish everyone and a Happy New Diet or Happy Return to your W.O.L.! In any and all cases, we're ready to get back to it and LIVE HEALTHIER!!! (My sweet Hubby got me a G.Foreman type grill for on the truck to help me stay O.P., so I'm READY!)

Christmas dinner yesterday (and the day before.) TOM today. Weigh in on Friday. I better GET with the SWEAT! ... nap first. Night-night all! -valerie
Old 12-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies!

Time to start anew! No waiting around until next Monday. Throw out the food. Get on your exercise gear. Let's go!

As you can tell I'm UP! Just finished 35 minutes on the stationary bike. Woot! Sure wish I could go back to bed now but must go to work.

I've got a food plan going. I worked on it over the weekend using the Biggest Loser and favorite SBD menus. Harder to fail if I've got a plan and have the food to with the plan.

Yesterday was such a beautiful day. 50's and sunshine. I spent the afternoon out with the horses. The farrier finally decided to come back to town and earn some money here at home. I stood for about 2 hours while he worked on four horses. No one acted like a big a$$ either so that was good. Usually its Spanky but he was a good boy. Gads, he is getting so big. I got a lead rope on RT, who is the wild child eight month old stallion, and got him out. He has grown so much too. He's still so scared about being handled but the fart leads like a champ. I have a lot of work to do with him as far as getting him more bombproof. But it made me feel good to get to handle them and especially to get him out of the lot and out of the barn to walk him around. He almost made the mistake of walking up to me in the lot and then he stopped like, "whoa, almost made a mistake and let her touch me". I need more daylight hours. I'm anxious to get started back on getting them ready for shows.

What else do I know? Not much I guess.

Lilion - I loved the picture. What a great present. I hope the jeweler can do something to help. Hadn't you said before that you and your brother live close but are not close? How cool that you had such a good day with them. I feel my brother that lives close growing even farther apart. It is sad when that happens. How did the puppies like all the wrapping paper and bows?

Valerie - How long are you home for now or will you be going out again soon? Did I say that I was jealous about the riding lessons? Like I need to live closer to you so I could learn more! We too are looking for land in the next year. The thought of selling this house is a bit overwhelming though.

Thin - Egads, after Christmas shopping! DH tried to get me to go to find a portable DVD player but I said NO. I don't like the crowds plus I didn't want to spend any more money. Especially since the farrier was $155. Your gifts for the boys sound just like great guy gifts.

Michelle - What a great gift from your favorite Santa. Is Andrew in new toy heaven?

TrinaS - Welcome to the group!

to everyone else. I'm out of time and need to hit the shower. Have a great day!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #14  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, Tuesday morning and back to the office. Can't you see I'm working hard! Actually, I had the day scheduled for vacation, but decided to get some decisions written today since I'm so far behind. So, I'll visit for a bit then try to go back to work!

My home scale said 265 this morning! I know that is without worrying about drinking any water to speak of and eating all kind of water-retaining foods, but I expect it may be closer to accurate than I want it to be! I'll change the slider accordingly after official WI on Friday. I have a lovely fattening lunch packed today too, and no $ to buy anything different, but tomorrow will be better. When I get home, I'm going to dump everything but the turkey and whatever DH packs up for his lunch or the inmates, and start eating better. The left-over caramel rolls and nut bread are coming to work to make my co-workers fat. Better them than me. DH and I have agreed, by the 1st, we're back counting every point that enters our mouths.

I couldn't get the bracelet fixed...I was told that I could order another in a 7 1/2, for an additional charge. They only carry 7, 71/4 and 8 inch bracelets. How weird is that? Anyway, they said they might be able to get an extension from repair and they'll call with both cost estimates in a couple of days. I was not happy. Since my next stop was Wal-Mart, I stopped by their jewelry counter and got a little silver necklace extension for $4. I snipped four links off it, attached it to my bracelet with a jump ring, and Viola! It'll do.

So, here I sit at my desk with my lovely bracelet and my cup of coffee from my other present - a one-cup coffee maker - Since I only drink one cup a day, that was a pretty good gift too! I have a regular 12 cup at home, but only use it if I've got guests.

TrinaS: I look forward to learning all about you! You'll love it here, these ladies are THE BEST!

Michelle: Ah little boys! I miss Dustin being little on Christmas. He's 10 now and I actually broke down and admitted being Santa on Christas day. Funny thing is...I'm not sure he completely believed me. He asked me if we played Santa how come he woke up one year late at night and heard bells? That wasn't us...so we had to admit we didn't know. He later asked - if we're Santa, how do we get all the candy? What, he's never been down the candy isle inthe store? I had to tell him...all his friends are making fun of him for believing - and I still think he knew he just doesn't want to admit!

Terri: The pups weren't allowed out on Xmas day except to get their stockings...which they prefered to chew over the toys inside them. I didn't feel like cleaning up the mess after they got thier teeth on the paper and ribbons!

Thin: DS and I braved the crowds yesterday too. Not as bad as the day after Thanksgiving after all! We both had gift-cards to spend. He bought yet another computer game. DH and I pooled ours and bought a wine-cooler at Wally World. It was on sale and holds 8 bottles. A gadget we don't usually need, but we've been experimenting with making mead and wine and both have to be kept refridgerated or they tend to explode! Maybe I should send you some exploding wine to go with your jumping cake!

Valerie: A foreman grill for the truck - what a cool idea! I had no idea truck drivers could do any serious cooking in the truck. I'd assumed cooler food was about it! That should make things way easier!

Barb: Glad your holiday was pleasant. I join you in your hope for a better 2006!

Elmay, Ruth, 2Cute: Where are you? Hope your Xmas was the best! Tell us all about it!

Leanne: Where are you hun? I've been thinking about you!

Well ladies, hearings or no hearings, I need to get to work...otherwise it'll be just like any other day! Hope you all have a happy, healthy OP day!

Oh, and here's a picture of my lovely bracelet...

Last edited by Lilion; 12-27-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hello everyone! I am really grateful for all of you -- just when I want to stay in my shell and hide, someone asks how I'm doing. Most of the time, I don't even know why I want to hide, I just do. Funny, that...

We had a great Christmas. Marie, my partner, made it home from CA at midnight on Friday. She was down there all week with her mom who had lost her husband of 6 months unexpectedly due to a brain aneurysm. Both Andre, Marie's 3 year old grandson, and I were glad to have her home . Andre and I did pretty well considering that I had only had him for an afternoon to myself before last week. I think he avoided scurvy even though I didn't remember the purple dinasour vitamin every morning. Marie brought Ayana with her, Andre's 10 year old cousin. And, earlier that afternoon, I picked up Anthony, Marie's 18 year old son. (The only person missing from this cast of characters is Sarina, Marie's 24 year old daughter and Andre's mom, who is currently in jail in CA).

Anyway, we had a grand Christmas. I was up the earliest at 7am. I think I was the most excited person in the house. All the adults (Marie, Anthony) got up before the kids. Finally around 8:30am, Ayana got up. She and I looked at the tree & presents for a few mins and then woke everyone up. Andre has been talking about Santa bringing him a bike for almost 2 months, and there was a Spiderman 12" bike under the tree. It was hidden behind all the presents, and when he finally spotted it, he went bonkers trying to get at it. It was very cute. Ayana got the Nintendo DS with NintendoDogs that she really wanted. She has been glued to it since . My brother, who isn't really speaking to me at the moment, called me up and wished me Merry Christmas -- it was really nice to hear from him. I made a special breakfast and dinner -- everyone really enjoyed it. Marie is black, and, as you can see from my pix, I'm white. She doesn't really like to cook, but she does like soul food. I cook, but only what sounds good to me and only from recipes. To be honest, I don't care for a lot of soul food. We've been together 4 years, but are still trying to work out the cooking thing. Anyway, it was nice that everyone liked my cooking .

I bought a pecan pie from the store because I don't care much for pumpkin and I didn't feel like making a pie. Turns out that no one else wanted pecan pie, so yesterday, a half a pie was staring me in the face after I had a slice for lunch. I threw it out. I think that's the first time I've thrown out food because I knew if I kept it, I would eat it. It felt like pouring booze down the sink (which I have done as well). There's still some non-OP food in the house, but nothing that calls to me quite as seductively as that pie .

I am off work until next Tuesday. I've promised to take the kids up to the snow, I want to take a XC ski lesson, I've promised to take Marie shopping for living room furniture, and I want to take some of my book stack to Powell's (a big bookstore here in Portland). Guess I'd better get going .

Lilion, and others who "gained weight" over the holidays... remember a pound of fat takes 3500 excess calories to make. I have found that even one "off plan" meal can make the scale swing several pounds to the bad side, but that a few OP days makes it go back. I am blaming water retention for the difference. I expect that when I get closer to GW, the swing won't be so dramatic.

Also, Lilion, the bracelet is beautiful! What a sweetie you have!

Michelle, that is a great idea about Santa's DL -- I will have to keep that in mind for next year. Things were so hectic this year, that I was just glad that I got the kids' presents and got them wrapped . Marie took Andre to sit on Santa's lap on Christmas Eve, so he got a bit of Santa that way. And, it is easy to fool a just-turned-3-year-old . Next year, we might have to work harder .

Thin, I hope your cold is better. It's never fun to be sick, especially at Christmas. And, thank you for the "throw it out" idea -- it gave me the impetus to toss that pie .

Valerie, yes, Andre is the little guy in my pix . Both he and his cousin were thoroughly spoiled for Christmas and it was the most fun I've ever had at this time of year .

Terri, sounds like you had a really nice day yesterday -- glad everyone behaved!

Ok, I have to run, but everyone have a good day, work your way back to your plan, and notice the good things around you! I'll be doing the same .
Closed Thread