Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:58 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again....#793

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:37 AM   #2  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

What have I done with my old clothes? I have a friend of mine who gets first dibs on "shopping" in my closet. She is heavier than I am and can fit into the stuff that I can no longer wear. After that, I give the nicer stuff to my fiancee's mother who has a friend who is also heavier than I am and she gets a batch. The rest goes to Goodwill or to the synagogue when they are doing collections for clothing, shoes, etc. I am still holding on to one pair of size 26 jeans for posterity's sake...but I am now down to a pretty solid 18.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #3  

Wink Hi

Welcome to all the newbies.

Rebecca ~ You are an inspiration. Congratulations on how far you have come. (Just out of curiosity, did you try the Biggest Loser diet? I read your blog. If so, do you like it?) I also have thought about "the surgery," but couldn't bring myself to abuse myself that way. I also know people who have had it and it has been nothing but a nightmare. Not only do they have to take vitamins, they have to take them for the rest of their lives because their body doesn't get them from food anymore (their bones become brittle and break easy, etc.). All of the people I know who have had the surgery have also gained back ALL of the weight they lost. P.S.: I also bought Yourself!Fitness and I love it. Maya can really make you work your butt off, but that's what I need. I just need to use it a little more often is the thing.

Catherine ~ I know it's hard to separate from someone you're close with. I have said good-bye to many a (best) friend who said we would always be friends and have never seen or talked to again. Life changes and it goes on ~ that's the nature of the beast. I know your roommate is grieving, but just don't allow her to hurt you in the process. I'm glad I reminded you that it's not OK for people to treat us that way ~ sometimes I need people to remind me of that too (especially where my mother is concerned).

Dogpal ~ Your family member probably gets the train at New Carrollton. This area is very expensive so make sure you bring lots of money if you visit. Not everything is like that, but in comparison to most of the country, it can be very expensive. It's nice too though. Lots to see and do.

I had two good days on my diet (today will be the third) so I'm on track. It is SO HARD to stay on this darn thing though. It gets so old so fast! I get so tired of counting things and writing things down. I get on a good steamroll sometimes and other times I hate all this. I wish my motivation would stay strong all the time, but it doesn't. I keep trying though. (Just wanted to complain a little.)

Hubby had to have a mammogram yesterday. Yes, hubby. It's funny because he had his before I had my first one (which will be this coming year). Poor thing came out and his boobs were all red. LOL. However, we got good news. His boobs are healthy and perfect ~ they didn't find anything. (One of them keeps growing and they were afraid he might have breast cancer/guys get that too.) I'll let you know what we find out next, but this is terrific news. My guess is that the doctor won't give him hormones or anything because of the risk associated with that. I think he'll probably just have to live with one bigger boob. LOL.

Well, I wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm going to change my avatar to my picture. I like to see people's faces on here so I thought I'd put mine back on too. It's nice to see who you are talking to.

Later.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #4  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Tasha - glad to hear that everythig turned out okay with your husband.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #5  

Default Hey

Thanks for the welcome and for telling me how to use the computer to make my posts cute.

Tasha, I am glad your husband's boobies are okay. It must have been horrifying for him and it sounds like you were super supportive.

I checked out The Biggest Loser book from the library and have not got my own copy in the mail yet, but it is similar to what I do. What I have been doing works, so I haven't tried a "diet" in months. I am always looking everywhere for little tips and tricks to spur me along though and I found both the show and the book inspirational. I read the 3-Hour diet book by Jorge Cruise and, even though there were some good tips, I tried eating the Flax seed oil like he reccommends and I stayed at 240 for about 3 months. Once I gave up the oil and the entire concept I made it past that plateau. I still incorporate Olive and Flax seed oil into my eating, but I don't eat it everyday. (I would rather eat Almonds for fat anyways).

I guess something just clicked as the weight started coming off and I don't cheat. But I have little tricks and I reward myself at every small goal.

Some tips that work for me:

If you need something sweet and sinful tasting, slice up a banana and put some "Free Cool Whip" on it. Some times I heat the banana first for about 15 seconds.

Sugar-free Popsicles

Sugar-free Jello Pudding (sometimes I will put a popsicle stick in it and freeze overnight and it tastes just like an icecream)

Slice up a variety of veggies, sprinkle some cajun seasoning and spray with Pam or spray oil and then roast. (very good)

Those mini bags of low-fat popcorn (100 calories each)

TV Dinners (especially Lean Cuisine)

I know what I can have at each restaurant. I travel on business a lot and I know that if I get stuck somewhere, that I have snacks in my bag or hotel room. Tonight promises some challenges because it is my company's Christmas Party. The food and drinks are always Phenomenal! I will let you know how that goes I am sure that it will be okay. After over a year, it is hard to stray.

I think that I will find a homeless shelter for the clothes. I have some really nice suits that someone will enjoy. I am an 18 now and I love finding a nice brandname suit at thrift stores. I have to travel with work and have found that the best thrift stores are in Washington and California. I got a classiques suit in October for $9.00 in Washington. It is a 16 and I can get it on, but it looks like it may split and there is no way that I could sit down if I wore it.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #6  

Hi REbecca. I checked out your blog and you have definitely come a long way. You look great. Way to go.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/256/145

Height: 5'8"

Just wanted to say hi everyone!
I hope you all are doing well with your weight loss
and having a marvelous weekend!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi all! Just wanted to tell the newbies to think about joining our exercise thread! Even though December has begun, you can just set a number of minutes you want to exercise (whatever exercise) and come report your totals. We are also keeping a running total for the group and closing in on 2500 minutes for December!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good Evening all,

Where is everyone? Ammi if you are around, we'd love for you to come back. We all miss you when you are away.

I just got back from shopping at Catherine's. I am trying not to be depressed about how the clothes look on me but I am so excited to get new jammies. My hubby has been after me for so long to buy some new jammies. They were having a sale so I bought 5 pairs I also got 2 pairs of jeans. No new sizes yet but it is nice to get new clothes I admit.

Hope you are all doing well. Welcome all new people. You will enjoy it here.

Blessings,
Dogpal
Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #10  

Default hello

Teahoney, thanks for the compliment. I must admit that posting those old pictures, along with giving away my old clothes, are very big steps for me. It shows my committment to not going back.

And I am now inspired to get some new Jammies for the holidays. I will have to stop by Avenue and pick up some comfy ones. Until our ice in, I didn't even think that it would get cold here this year.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Rebecca -- If you just want some more cold and snow, I'll see if I can arrange to send you some from here. We're closing in on 2 weeks below freezing... very unusual for early december! I like your tips. I like ffsf jello pudding and will have to try freezing it! I might really like that!

tashabella -- I like your avatar! I keep thinking of putting a picture of me up here, but I love having my boys up too much to change yet!

dogpal -- I know it has been quiet here. I miss Ammi too! I've been posting more on the exercise thread (how's that going for you?) and have just popped in here to read... that, of course, does not help really!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Hello everyone, things have been pretty grim here, my oldest son was19 yesterday, he showed me a big glass hammer he had, I shouted at him for carrying it around, he could be arrested for carrying it outside, then hubby shouted and my son went ballistic, screaming, swearing and threatening to 'burn' hubby!! I had to get between them to stop a fight and got him to leave, he hasn't lived at home for over two years (since he threatened to beat me up, two weeks beforew giving birth to my youngest son).
We went to the cinema on one of our very rare nights outbut we were both too upset to enjoy it. I could have gorged myself on choccy but had a chicken and tomato sandwich when we got home, so I am pleased that it didn't send me over the edge, diet-wise. Emotionally I feel quite ill, how could my son be such a psycho? he has had psychologists and psychiatrists to help him but there is no progress at all, he seems to think its someone else's fault, never his, that he 'looses it'.
Oh well I hope everyone else has had a better week-end than me!! At least my parents are visiting for a couple of days, which is nice.

bye for now,
sharon
Old 12-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #13  

I LOST 5 POUNDS!!! I can't believe it. I just want to shout it from the moutain tops.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Sharon, I am so sorry that you had that conflict with your son. Good for you for not medicating with food! Family stuff can be so nutso. IMHO, it sounds like your son may have a drug/alcohol problem and/or some mental troubles. I've had my own share of both and know how crazy a person can act . It sounds like you have good boundaries which is so important.

My partner and I are facing a similar issue. My partner's daughter, Sarina (who is Andre's mom), gets out of jail next month. She literally has no where to go at the moment and has both a drug/alcohol problem and bipolar disorder. She's also not in treatment for either. I understand and respect Marie's need to help Sarina, and at the same time, we have to be willing to have boundaries (a big deal for me since it has been so difficult for me to develop them myself). We had a talk about it this weekend, and I said that I was willing to have Sarina come to Oregon, but that we needed to have some firm boundaries. Firm enough that if Sarina is unable/unwilling to abide by the house rules, she needs to leave, even if that means she's on the street. It is hard to be so harsh, but we have a responsibility not only to ourselves, to have a reasonable home, but also to Andre. Tough stuff to work through... I just hope & pray that Sarina can get into a treatment program (and stick with it).
Old 12-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #15  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I have finally gotten over my cold enough to get back to the pool tomorrow, thank God. I worked on my headband for my veil last night and packed another box. I figure I have at most 4 more boxes, and then I will be done with everything that I canít take on the plane with me. Today, himself has me doing some typing for him. I have a suspicion that he likes my typing as much as my cooking.

Julee-I send my big clothes to a thrift store run by a mental health center. The meds they give to schizophrenics and bipolars just pack the weight on. They are always in need of large size clothes. It is hard enough convincing them to stay on their meds when they gain bunches of weight, and canít afford any new clothes.

Tasha-I am convinced that one of the reasons that I have been able to be successful this time, when I have failed so many times in the past is because I had to cut off communication with my mother. It was one of the hardest things Iíve ever done, but necessary for me to get healthy. I have to remind myself almost on a daily basis that I no longer have to allow people to treat me bad because I ďdeserve it.Ē

Rebecca-I also have a little trick I use when really needing chocolate. I use the low cal hot chocolate mix which is about 60 calories and mix 15-30 calories worth of sugar free pancake syrup in it. It doesnít look like it will ever mix, but all of a sudden, you have chocolate frosting. Try that on a piece of low cal raisin bread. It takes care of my chocolate fix for awhile.

Dogpal-I havenít had new jammies in forever. I remember when I was too large to wear underwear. I was always so afraid of going to the hospital and having to explain why I didnít have underwear on. Now I sleep in underwear and tshirt like I did when younger. I made some flannel nightshirts for my move north, but Iíve been thinking about maybe something to wear for my wedding night, but after 3 months apart, I doubt Iíd get to wear it long enough to make it worth the expense.

Wyllenn-I also like ffsf pudding, and I experiment with different flavor combinations. I especially like pistachio mixed with white chocolate. If that doesnít confuse your taste buds into submission, nothing will. If you mix it with some low cal whip cream, and freeze them in popsicle makers, you get portion control.

Voodoo-I sometimes wonder how any of us make it alive through the holidays. My fiancť has got his mom calling yelling at him, he had a fight with his best friend and his sister. When I was thinking how hard this Christmas is going to be for me because it will be the first one that I have spent completely alone (except for the dog), I realized that it will also be mild and quiet. I donít image too many of us on this site arenít emotional eaters. If you can go through that much havoc, and not turn to food, you have really turned a corner.
Closed Thread