Old 07-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again....#743

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Oh my,

In my previous post I said I am so happy that Lilion, Jann, Catherine and Doxiemom are leaving us. I meant to say are not leaving us. So, so sorry ladies. I truly had a typo and I couldn't go back in and fix it because it said the post is closed.

Blessings and I am so happy you are not leaving us
Dogpal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:08 AM   #3  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I think everyone pretty well knew what you were saying, dogpal! No worries!

Can't spend much time on here. Posted a crappy quality picture of my ring in the pictures thread though.

Congrats to all the losers!

Welcome to all the newcomers!

Welcome back to all the older members!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day tomorrow!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:52 AM   #4  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

YAY...I lost 3 this week..I was getting so frustrated over the last 2 weeks with small gains despite eating really well, drinking lots of water and exercising almost every day. I'm now down 57 lbs and feeling great! I went shopping this week and bought a bunch of stuff all in size 20 (bottoms). I bought 2 tops in 14/16 and they are actually big on me. I even got brave and bought 2 pairs of heels!!! I'm really feeling good...I talked to my WW leader because I am so ill over the extra skin/flab under my arms...she told me not to look so much at the spots I don't like and focus on the big picture instead.

My vacation is slowly beginning to wind down but I still have a few fun things left in store...seeing friends for dinner this weekend, spending the day in Hollywood (and hopefully getting theatre tickets) on Sunday, spending a day in San Diego next week...and a fun day with SueMarie next weekend!! yay!

Hope everyone else is well and is having a good week.

Catherine...thanks for the tip on the vitamins...unfortunately I am a big wuss when it comes to large foul-smelling pills...which is why up until recently I was taking the kids chewable gummy bear vitamins (double dosage) and am now taking the Viactiv multi-vitamin chocolate flavored chews. I wish vitamins idn't have to smell so bad.

G'nite all...
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Question

Speaking of icky vitamins--I started taking liquid Centrum because I heard that's the best way to make sure you are absorbing as much as possible (since the pills don't always dissolve completely in your system), and man is it GROSS! I take 1 tablespoon of it every morning along with a 600-mg calcium supplement (since there is no calcium in the liquid centrum, but there is in the pill form of Centrum for some reason). I also try to take another 600-mg calcium pill later in the day since we had a TOPS program about calcium last week where I learned that even though you should have 1200-1500 mg of calcium a day, your body can only actually absorb 500mg at one time, so i you take the whole 1200 at once, you still only absorb 500 (and I waste the last 100 of my 600-mg tablets)!

I am also noticing in my Fitday that I am very very low in Vitamin K and Folates on most days. Does anyone know how this might affect me or if I should start taking supplements for these, too?

Congrats on the loss, Julee!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 AM   #6  

Talking Here for a peck

I know I haven't been around much. I've been trying to focus all my efforts on eating right and counting calories, etc. (it's very time consuming). I'm also training a new person at work.

I've come to the realization that I just can't do 10 things at once anymore (getting too old for that) so I'm trying to take my time and focus my attention on each thing that I'm doing while I'm doing it. (I think they call that "mindfulness.") It is making me feel better and less stressed so that's good.

I bought a new digital food scale that is freakishly accurate (you tell it what specific food you are weighing and it calculates it specifically). I can see where I was eating too much food before (no wonder I wasn't losing anything using my $5 plastic spring-loaded thing). I think I'll do better this time around having this scale to use. It is motivating to look at the food scale and know that I should stop when the number hits a certain point ~ it has kept me from overeating several times in the short time I've had it. (I haven't weighed yet so I don't know if I have lost any weight. I'm waiting until Sunday to weigh.)

I'm sorry the hens are going somewhere else. I hope we haven't hogged the boards. I try not to post stuff unless it is beneficial to people, but I admit that sometimes I am long-winded. I hope you will keep coming back and that the other board helps you also.

Catherine ~ I sent you a PM.

Brandnewme ~ I'm so glad your life didn't end up going in the wrong direction a year ago. Thank God for the healing that comes with time!

Dogpal ~ I'm so glad your dad's dog was found. I knew he would be!

Happy Birthday! ~ To anyone whose birthday I have missed.

And...

Congratulations! ~ To all of you who have lost. You are my INSPIRATION!!!
Tashabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #7  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

BigGirl: I just saw online that there were more bombings in London! I know you don't live in London, but are you close? Relatively speaking, England isn't very big...it must be frightening. I hope you and your's are weathering this storm alright. Take care and we are thinking about you.

Jilly: Happy Belated Birthday. Ah, 23 - it was a very good year! Hope your's is too!

Dogpal: on the weight loss! And yeah, sure, you want to hear that from me, who you are glad is leaving! That's one of the funniest typo's I've seen! I got your PM before I saw it -

Julee: on your loss too! You enjoy the rest of that vacation!

Whatever you take for vitamins...don't forget the calcium. There have been studies that show that taking calcium contributes to weight loss, along with many other benefits.

Goodness Ladies, you act like the "old hens" are starting their own website. You know, I never post on the "30 Minutes a Day" thread, but I don't care who does! We'll still be around and those under 40 are more than welcome to read our witty and informative posts! And I'm quite sure I'll still read all these posts and stick my nose in where necessary!

Well, back to work with me! Have a happy, healthy OP day!!!

Last edited by Lilion; 07-21-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #8  
DoxieMomx2

I agree with Lilion, you young girls are still stuck with us "mid-life hens!" (I'm not using the "O" word!) Am really swamped here at work, a big stack of depositions to go through and do depo summaries of, so can't respond to everyone individually, but know that I am thinking of each and every one of you, Biggirl especially with the bombings going on - be safe. Hope to have more time this weekend to really catch up.

Also, thanks for the vitamin/calcium info. I don't take either and wonder if that's why I ache down to my bones on some days. Will definitely start taking something. - Kim
DoxieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:55 PM   #9  
Shadiepurple

Wink

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU JILLYBEAN . HOPE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE THIS YEAR.

TO DOGPAL AND ME: YEAH WE BOTH LOST 2 LBS THIS WEEK . LETS GO GIRL!!!

WAY TO GO JULEE . ENJOY YOUR SUCCEESS! WAY TO GO TO ALL THE LOOSERS AND STRENGTH TO US ALL FOR THE NEXT WEEK .

As for me, I've been doing great. Boykid has been at camp all week and boy do I miss his support, but I'm pleased at how well I do on my own . I can do this and it can be painless ( except for the exercise ). I'm on plan, water arobics, plenty of water and taking my vitamins. I'm down 49 lbs since April . I know I did good, but I greadely wanted that ONE more pound this week. 50 is sooooo close. Oh well, next week I will pass it up I'm sure.

Thank you guys for always being here for me . I'm so glad we are all here for each other. I truely hope that in some small way I can inspire someone to contiune to battle this being with a mind of its own. Tee Hee.

Stay strong, heads up, and move your booties to work it off. Enjoy your lives and love ones every day.
shadiepurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi guys

Well, I'm back from the Dr. and she took blood but thinks things will be A okay. After a long discussion with me she feels like I am not getting enough sleep. Which, she is right about. I get maybe 3 or 4 hours a night if lucky because I never shut my brain down. She is trying to help me with that. She was thrilled to death about my 30 pound weight loss since seeing her the last time and thinks that very soon we may be able to take away some of the pills I am on. My blood pressure was excellent. All around great apt.

Brandnewme: I went and looked at your ring. From what I could see of it, it is beautiful!

Juleecee: Yea to you on -3 and smaller clothes. That is so wonderful. I truly am thrilled for you. How fun you must have shopping.

Tashabella: You are doing well. Although I do miss your posts I understand about needing to focus on other things.

Biggirl: My prayers are with you and all of the people in your country. I sure hope you are safe and stay safe.

Lilion: oh, lol. What a great typo it was. Now, git on out ah here! Seriously though you are so sweet and I'm glad to read all you have to say.

Shadie: Gosh I miss it when you don't post. I think about you lots and I am so glad that you are loosing, loosing and loosing. Yea to us for -2.

Anyone else I may have missed, please be safe and have a wonderful and op day.

Blessings,
Dogpal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #11  
I ate it

Lilion...thanks for the Calcium reminder...Viactiv definately has calcium..it is a women's vitamin, They also make a chew that is Calcium with extra D & K that comes in chocolate and caramel.

Shadie...what plan are you following? Your progress has been amazing...I know that I have lost a substantial amount in a relatively short period of time, but you've done what I have in less than half the time.

Dogpal...the shopping lately has been great...better selection and I don't feel like everything I wear is a gunny sack. I'm trying to get rid of my old clothes...because if I do say so myself I have an adorable wardobe. Most of my old pants are gone but I have a bunch of skirts that need to go bye bye. I wish that someone lived closer so that I could pass them off!

The weather here is horrible. There is a hint of humidity but it's only making things worse. It was over 90 at 10:45 this morning. The death tool in Phoenix is now at 18 from the heat...I have the feeling it will be getting much worse before it gets better here. I plan little field trips to air conditioned places most days because all I have is a wall-unit AC (not central) that is poorly placed so it doesn't do much. I may need to go buy another fan today. I need to find a way to put a fan close enough to my bathroom that it cools down in there too.

*sigh* Such is summer. I still have 2 weeks of vacation left which is great. I am really proud of myself for staying OP and not turning into a perpetually feeding couch potato. However, I think that when August 3 rolls around I will be ripe and ready to go back to work.

I need to take some new pics and post them one of these days.

Brandnew...Mazal Tov (congratulations) on getting such a lovely ring! Jason is moving at a snail's pace...I love him and will wait but some days I get very frustrated.

Oh...just a side note to all of you dealing with very high humidity...your WIs' can be thrown off a little by high humidity. You retain more water when there is more moisture in the air...so if you are worried that you aren't losing or that your numbers are off...they just might be. Keep drinking and keep plugging away!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

to everyone has losses!!

Here's how I look at the new thread. Think of having a really large family and group of friends all come to your house. And everyone is all in one room and its too confusing and loud to keep up with everyone. So you move off to a side room with a few so that you can sit and actually keep up with each other. But everyone is still having a good time in multiple rooms and floating from room to room occassionally.

Keep up the great work!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #13  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Good evening ladies. Haven't been posting, but have been reading. Congratulations to all who have lost.

Still struggling sticking to my plan. Since I am such a horrible binger and emotinal eater I try to identify WHY I am overeating. Of course I eat when stressed, sad, or mad. But even when I am none of those things, what I am noticing is I seem to be rebelling against any sort of restrictions. Even when the "restrictions" are very loose like, "I will eat whatever I want when hungry, but I will not binge." Something inside me is rebelling in the worst way. Does anyone else ever experience this? What did you do to overcome it?
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:32 PM   #14  
Shadiepurple

Talking

Julee, Thanks for asking about my plan. I'd love to share a magic cure with you , but its all my own doing. I bought a book called The Fat Flush Foods by Ann Louise Gittleman, M.S.,C.N.S.

This book has 50 super foods that burn fat, boost your metabolism , and detoxify your body. They also help control cholesterol and blood sugar levels. I am diabetic so not eating is not an option for me. But I went through the book, picked out the foods I will eat and added them to my daily intake. I love green salads so thats the bulk of what I eat every day. I eat salad about 2 or 3 times a day. I change it around to make it differnt by adding cottage cheese or feta or lunch meat ( mostly chicken) or tuna...you get the idea. Any thing you can put in a salad, I've tried it. I still have the over eaters mentalety where I still need to have a large portion in front of me to feel like I'm not being cheated . The only real carbs I'm eatimg is crutons or soy crisp chips. I have found that red meat stays too long in my system, so I don't eat it for at least 3 days before WI. My sweet craving has always been smooth and creamy, so I take Cool whip lite (large tub) and mix in a small box of sugar free pudding mix (still in powder form) mix them together and refridge for 24 hours. Then If I eat the whole thing ...NO GUILT!! I also keep sugar free hard candies real close.

Julee, the biggest change I've made is in my head. Every bite I start to put in my mouth I ask myself "What is this food going to do FOR me??" "Is this good for me?" I have to answer myself truthfully . No one to impress but me. The honesty with myself has been the hardest part. If I can't think of anything good the food is going to do FOR me, then I muster my will power and move on to something with a benifit . I have only been out to eat twice since April because I need more control over what I have to choose from. I used to eat out at least 5 days a week. It's been very much a mental thing for me. I used to be able to eat with out thinking and that way I always ate 5 times my share. Since I make myself stop to think about it, I have slowed to below normal pace of eating. It's crazy, but it's working for me.

I went on and on but there really is tons more, I just need to think more on how to share it . If any of this helps anyone, please let me know. If you have any questions or want more detale on any of this , please ask. I really want to help. Good luck and please ask any thing.....DRINK WATER, DRINK WATER, REST , AND DRINK MORE WATER... .
shadiepurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:09 AM   #15  
I ate it

Shadie...

Thanks for the info. I'm doing WW Core and it's pretty similar to what you are doing in its own way. One of the things that my BF and I did do though was figure out how we could eat out and still stay OP (he is on WW Flex). I really have not felt deprived and I am so much happier because I eat plenty of food and am certainly losing weight. I agree with you on the whole "what will this food do for me" mentality. What we discussed the other night was the notion of how badly do want to be wearing whatever I am about to stick in my mouth. As they say...nothing tastes as good as thin and healthy feels!

Keep up the great work...everyone! I am hot and cranky....ugh.