Old 04-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #1  
It's gotta be the glasses

Height: 5'8"

Default 300+ and ready to try again. . . #694

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.
esmaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #2  
Lady on the Lose

S/C/G: 304/279.6/140

Height: 5'2"

Exclamation

I'm really busy and under a severe amount of stress right now, so I don't have a bunch of time, but I wanted to stop by and say, "Hey!" to everyone. I hope everyone is well, I've taken some time to read posts and I see that there are some job concerns, I hope that works out. I've also seen a lot of concerns about yo-yoing and whatnot. I've said it on other threads and in private messages, but I just can't say it enough...

I highly recommend the book Diets Don't Work by Dr. Bob Schwarz. I read it a couple of weeks ago and have lost about 12 pounds since. The best part is, I'm eating what ever I want, when ever I want, as much as I want. No counting anything, writing anything down, or even really paying much attention to what I'm eating (except I am trying to eat healthier just for my general health, so I try to eat from each food group daily, but I'd been doing that for awhile and not been nearly as successful as I am now).

Buy it, check it out from your library, whatever. I just recommend reading it and if it's not your own copy, have some pen and paper so you can do the activities. It won't do you any good if you don't do them, nor will it do you any good if you don't finish the book. Plan to take 4-5 hours to read it, even if it's over a few days. It's not really that long, the writing could take you that long, though.

Anyway, best of skill to everyone, I am personally going to try to make 1/3 of the groups 300+ for this year's weight loss.

Andrea
dreasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Don't have but a minute because I lost a post.....again. Ya know, that never happens to me and now that's twice in just a couple of days. Grrrrr.....

Andrea: I just wanted to welcome you to our little corner. And congrats on the 12 pounds gone. Not to discount the book you mentioned but you say that "I'm eating what ever I want, when ever I want, as much as I want. No counting anything, writing anything down, or even really paying much attention to what I'm eating". Something had to have changed for you to lose the weight because "if you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got." It is not unusual with the start of any new weightloss program for people to lose between 8-12 pounds in the first couple of weeks. It's usually water, not that that isn't good. Most programs also have a two week "cleansing" period or indoctrination period like Atkins, South Beach and SugarBusters. Even WeightWatchers will lose significantly because the focus is adding fruits and veggies, fiber and cutting out alot of fat in the diet. I'm doubtful that eating "whatever I want, whenever I want, as much as I want" would be the way for most to go but I wish you good things on your journey.

Esmaraude: Thanks for starting the new thread and especially for going back and posting all those quotes from the Disney thread. I know that probably took you alot of time, but it was really worth the read. Thanks.

Ok, girls, I was headed to bed before midnight again and THAT didn't happen so I'm headed there now. Love ya bunches!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #4  

Ok, my last post here. I don't want to risk offending everyone with censored curse words again. Thanks guys, I've learned a lot from you. It was fun while it lasted.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:34 AM   #5  
Oooo Silly Me!

2cute – Yeah! I’m a big baseball fan… at least of the Braves, then there’s Nascar. My dad is a Yankees fan… well the whole side of my dad’s family is a Yankee fan. My father used to live 2 blocks from yankee stadium. I remember when I used to go up there I would hear them talking about all the games they would go to… They were really excited when they had the subway series… when the mets played the Yankees a few years ago. They shun me when we watch baseball LOL …. Just waiting for that next Braves vs. Yankees or Mets game LOL… I won’t be invited to the bbq HEHEHEHE…

Julee – HEY! WOOHOO BRAVES! LOL Ya know, I been looking for people in Socal area, specifically in the buddy forum. I didn’t even stop to think about looking in the forums I posted it… LIKE DUH! HEhehehe… I’m located in San Bernardino, near Cal State University. Sounds good for a meet up… I’m game… please on a weekend tho heheheh. Weekdays are SO hectic now that classes are starting again.

Lilion – CONGRATS on the 4lbs gone WOOHOOO!!!

Today was a loooooooong day.... I got out of class at 9. Usually my long day is on Tuesday, but because I skipped class to go to the Angels game so I attended another class session to make up for the one I skipped.

Last day of spring break from work tommorrow, no class... I'll post more... I got calculus homework *sniffle* waaah!

Take care everyone
Sue...
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #6  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Shop, I'd hate to see you go over something like that. Some people are offended by words that others wouldn't even bat an eye at. Others, not so much. The point is, it's not worth leaving over a few meaningless words. Being edited and/or censored really isn't a big deal - just a small reminder to watch how you're saying it, rather than what you're saying.

In regards to Diets Don't Work, I've just started reading it and I have to say that, from what I've gotten so far, it's not about eating anything, whenever, wherever, and as much as you want - it's about having the ability to choose what you're eating, rather than trying to limit what you can and "can't" have. It's about knowing why you're eating what you're eating, what your triggers are, and how to maneuver around them. Or, that's my take on it so far. Basically, it's saying don't diet - change your lifestyle.

Still dealing with some family issues, but sooner or later they will be resolved. I will be an aunt again in a couple weeks, if not sooner - my sister is 35 weeks and having a lot of problems, so they may take the baby within a week or so. That, on top of all the work stress, has been keeping me extremely busy (and crazy!). The last couple days haven't been very good in terms of staying on my plan, because, well.. I said to heck with it - I was hungry, irritated, and frustrated, so I ate. I'm sure I'll see it on the scale next week, but it's actually a good thing, because I'm getting a real feel for my habits and patterns. I can start dissecting them step by step and eventually I'll get there.

Hope your days are all wonderful, and will try to be able to respond a bit more in the next few days.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:55 AM   #7  

Good morning chickies! Still wet and soggy here. How about where you are? I had thought that I might need that row boat after all, but it has stopped raining for the time being. The weather is nice and warm though. In the upper 70s, so I can live with that. The biggest problem is the bugs are waking up also . Now if you live in the south you know just what I mean. You open your mouth and something might just fly in!

Shop, Don't let a little thing like being censored make you quit coming here. You still need the support of others don't you? AND, haven't you enjoyed being here? It is really not such a big thing.

Catherine, There have been times in my life that I have had to use the wheelchair and I know that is not the way I want to spend my life. As I have gotten older the problems with mobility have become more of an issue. I can't say it often or well enough to those that are still young, lose it now! I do know that when I was young and invincible I didn't listen either. There is that saying too soon old and too late smart, boy does that apply. I am not too sure how smart I have gotten, but I do know that this is something I MUST do. I stumble and fall ever so often, but at least I am getting back up and fighting those food demons.

Julee and SueMarie, The Braves won last night! Go braves!

Every year my husband plants a vegetable garden and every year it gets drowned and then sered! I don't know why he keeps trying. He put out tomato plants and if those little things can't swim they are in big trouble! I do enjoy the fruits of his labor, but I am not sure there will be any this year. You just can't beat fresh from the garden tomatoes.

To all of you...Have a wonderful day. Iwillbe
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:07 AM   #8  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Rachel -

Don't go away from the boards because of what happened!! I don't even know what you said, and I certainly would never "complain" about the language used...seriously my guess is that it was probably someone who doesn't post here regularly. Just seems odd...but seriously we all want you to stay, so please PLEASE stick around!!!

Mel
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:28 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Perhaps 3FC admin could edit inappropriate words with asterisks instead of big, bold, red letters that attract even more attention than the original unapproved words, then just send that particular user a private message telling her to watch the language? Just a suggestion that might not scare people away, since her words certainly were not intended to offend anyone...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #10  

Morning everyone...just a quick flyby It's my day off, but tons of things to do!!

I will check in later...Have a great day everyone!!
Jazzmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #11  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies! It's the Last Business Day Before Vacation!

And a lovely day it is! But I do have a TON of work to do before I leave, so I better make this quick and get to it!!!

Shop: I hope you're still lurking so you see this...DON'T LEAVE OVER THIS! So someone didn't like your choice of language - that doesn't mean we don't all like YOU!

esmaraude: Sugar content isn't "nutrition" info per the regulation. Actually, I don't know that it's illegal to not have the information at McD's. Restaurants have different rules and are only required to list info for things they advertise as diet, lite, healthy, etc. This isn't my field, so i could be wrong. But it probably is corporate policy and you should complain to HQ about any store that doesn't. Of course, it doesn't sound like you go to McD's very often. You make some good points, although I don't think I'd use the word "evil". I don't really think, in terms of their food products and marketing, that they're much worse than any other place. I know they market to kids...but as a parent, I honestly don't care. I'm the one with the money and I'm the one who buys it or not, not the kid. Really, people bringing suit against a restauant for getting fat offends me. At least cigarette companies TRIED to make their product more addictive...What did McD's do...make it taste better? Ah well, I'm starting a debate that probably doesn't belong on this thread. Feel free to ignore me.

Catherine: I once took my two year old cousin down a water-slide. I was wearing shorts and a tube top. (It was the 80's and I'd had a shirt over it, but took it off to stay dry.) Anyway, when we got to the pool at the bottom, I held the boy up - arms over my head. As I came up, my top went down - to my waist! The lifeguard was more than amused...until I tossed my cousin at him in an effort to cover myself! I've already advised my husband I WILL be having plastic surgery if I need it after. But like you, I think that's a thought for another day.

I will be: Mmmmm, tomatoes! I LOVE vine-ripe tomatoes, right off the vine, no salt, no pepper! Yum! I wanted so bad to plant my little garden before we left for Vegas. I have this 17' x 8' trellis along my patio and on the yard-side of it the plan is, instead of planting flowers I'm planting grean beans, sugar peas and cucumbers to climb it (and maybe some morning glories) with carrots and lettuce in front. And in hanging baskets on my patio I'm planting grape tomatoes. Finally, if I get the planter box on my patio built I'm going to put something else that climbs, like cantalope, and some peppers and tomatos there. But looks like it's going to be after our trip now so closer to May for all of it.

Dreasam: Glad that's working for you. I can't imagine spending enough time thinking about it to make good choices without writing everything down though.

Well everyone, I've spent WAY more time on my quick reply than I intended. So I better get my ample behind back to work!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #12  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

S/C/G: 329/266.75/190

Height: 5'7"

Rachel:

I do hope that you stick with us through is. I feel what has happened to you was very digusting. I can understand having to keep the language down. A private message to the poster and the removal of the words in question would have been suffice. But to make it known to the world in red like a scarlet letter is childish.

Everyone here has a problem with day to day life, we are laughed at, made fun of, and called names. This is a haven we should not feel ashamed to come here. I hate that this has happened to you. I hate that you had to be embarrassed by this. But know that we love you and want you to post when you feel ready to do so.

Scooter
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #13  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

S/C/G: 329/266.75/190

Height: 5'7"

Terri: Jennifer censored her in the post...I wasn't talking about you...Sorry if you miss understood.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #14  
BELIEVE!

Hey Chickees!
Popping to check on all my buddies! I had a very nice visit to FL last weekend with my Dad and my brother's family. It was somewhat bittersweet because the emotions over losing my mom were very strong, but I think it helped at the same time. The weather was beautiful and we had a great time together.

For those of you following my on-going IVF saga....today is the beginning of our next try. Tonight I start injections again and in about 2 weeks we'll have the egg retrieval procedure and hope and pray things go better this time.

I hope you all are doing well. Welcome to any new friends, Hugs to those that need them, Congrats to the Losers. I will stop back when I have more time. I'm in the midst of work right now, but wanted to pop in for a few minutes.

Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #15  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Good morning ladies. First let me say that I have always had a real talent for putting people off. I tend to let my mouth get me into trouble. I accept this, and therefore if anyone ever needs to edit anything I say, feel free. I grew up around soldiers and mechanics so my vocabulary can get quite "blue." I can also be a bit blunt, and am told that my sarcastic personality doesn't translate well to electronic communication. So I am apoligizing in advance for the more colorful parts of my personality.

Gizmov-I graduated from U.S. Grant. I was supposed to go to Mount St. Mary's, but they raised tuition a bunch right before I was to go. I was there during the last big race riot as a freshman, and the teacher's strike in 1979 as a senior. I played softball, basketball, volleyball, and badmitton. Why there was a school team in badmitton I don't know. At least I played when I wasn't rehabbing an injury. Being large and trying to play sports was **** on my ankles and knees.

Missmeliss-I cut out a clipping on ways to keep the skin tight while losing weight. Clean living; Avoid toxins; Healthful nutrition; Ingestion of essential fatty acids, anti-oxidants, and amino acids; Regular use of skin moisturizers; Consumption of lots of water. Copper peptides can promote the formation of elastin which is a protein responsible for skin elasticity. DMAE can help lift and firm skin. I take a GNC woman's mega vitamin everyday, and really try to eat a healthy diet. I also make sure I get at least a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil everyday. I basically follow the Mediterrean diet, and that calls for 2 TBs a day for heart health. That's too many calories for now. I eat as many brightly colored fruits and veggies as I can. When I was 28 years old I went from 375 down to 225 in about 9 months on Nutrisystem. I don't recall having any trouble with lose skin, but I just don't remember. I guess if it had been a problem, I might remember it. I also have been putting lotion on regularly. I must say that I never thought I would be putting lotion on my back side, and I have to be careful not to sit on the toilet until it dries good. I wouldn't want to have to tell my doctor I got hurt slipping off the toilet because I had put hand lotion on my butt. He already thinks I'm a bit odd.

I'm making purple cole slaw today, and it isn't going to cut itself up, so everyone have a good weekend, and be nice to yourselves.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote