Old 03-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #16  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Back from the working jungle.

Before I go any further: Today is the end of the last 2X2 Challenge. Please make sure to report your pounds lost via PM to Terri/determinedtosucceed so that she can tally them. See below for the next challenge.

Had to be up early this morning.....7 AM.....that's early for me. I was out of the house by 8:00. I had 5 donute shops that needed to be done by 10:30 so needed that early start to get it done. Next was an apartment shop and then off to Wally World.

WOA, Wally World!!! I asked a guy (Walmart employee) about where an item was located and he told me. Then I went down the next aisle and he came around the corner and said the item I was looking for was around the next side. I thanked him, found the items and made my selection. Then as I was walking toward the checkout and he came down an aisle. I thanked him again and showed him that I had found what I was looking for. He asked if they were any good. I told him I really didn't know but that I was having some Internet cyberbuddies into town in April and was looking for some specific items. He said "oh, you're on the Internet? What's your sign-on? Do you have a website?" Now, mine you, I have this conversation with a number of people (well, except for the "What's your sign-on?") when I'm looking for stuff for Spring Fling so I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, I had this huge buggy full of stuff so it took me quite sometime to get through the checkout. I walked to my car and I'm in the back end of the van loading my purchases and I see him walking down the aisle in the parking lot. I really didn't think anything of it, he was probably going home. Well, I'll be dang, he walked up to me, sorta hesitated a little bit and said, "I meant to ask you while you were in the store, are you married?" I couldn't believe it. Do you have any idea how many years it's been since someone has tried to pick up THIS girl!!!! OMG! I just looked at him and said, "very!" I swear I will never leave the house again without my wedding ring! Could he smell that Honey is in Germany????

So, ladies, that was MY excitement for the day!!!

2cute: Glad you made it home safely. So sorry about your sister's reoccuring troubles.

Iwillbe: I like the idea of blaming my missing stuff on the house! WOW, I never thought of that. I wonder if it will work? I think I've finally convinced the boys that the dryer really does eat socks.....but only one of every pair, never both.

Jill: Oh, the lettuce wraps are the best. You know who else has good lettuce wraps? Chili's. Do you have Chili's where you are? I was surprise, however at how high in calories those are. I mean come on, that little bit of filling in LETTUCE!!! Oh well, they are definitely good. I love Panera. Their soups are not bad, most are around 200 calories. Most of their salads are around 400 calories and of course that wonderful roll is another 170 calories, but hey, you just have to eat less at dinner!!!

MyInnerGoddess: You are absolutely welcome to join us. We have a bunch of newcomers in the past month or so....heck....in the past week or so. Post often so we all get to know you.

Hilta: "44 years of marriage does that to a person, knowing what they are thinking before they even think it". Boy, I know that feeling. We have that strange phenomenon happen to us all the time. Maybe what's they mean about "soul mates".

Tracy: Congrats on the 4 pounds! That is MOST excellent!!!

Shopaholic: You might want to try looking in the Buyer Beware area of this website. Most of the diet aids, pills, and programs are listed over there with all kinds of feedback. *As far as the "mind hunger", you might try grabbing a glass of water as your first line of defense. Usually after that you will know whether you're truly hungry or not. *As for your boyfriend, I'm guessing he's not too supportive of your weightloss efforts. Perhaps you should talk to him about how important this is to you and how much you need his help. It's amazing what kind of responses you get from people when you actually ask them to "help" you rather than complaining about the stuff they do. Sorry, years of experience in trying to get people (read "men" here) to do what you want them to. Usually just a little mind game works as a good persuasion.

Ok, girls, time to hit the road again. I have to go pull a "bank job" and then it's out to a dinner job. Eatin' good in the neighborhood tonight.

Before I go, it's time once again to start the next 2x2 Challenge. For those of you just joining us recently, we are in the process of trying to lose 300 pounds, as a group, during 2005. In order to help with that goal, Terri has started 2x2 Challenges. What it is is a goal to lose 2 pounds in 2 weeks time....very attainable! If you would like to participate, you sign up at the beginning by using the list below and copying it into the next post you make and adding your name to the bottom. The Challenges run from Monday until two weeks from that Monday. So this one is starting today and will be done on Monday, March 28th, then we'll start a new one. So sign up here:

2X2 Challenge 2-14-2005 to 2-28-2005
Thinthinker

Gotta run. See you all later. Love ya bunches!!!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #17  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I promised myself that I wouldn't post anything morbid or gross this time. Honestly, I can be like a "Quincy" talking shop at lunch.

I do have a few more takes on calories. I have a nutrition for dummies type of book. It says to multiply your weight by 14-16 for very active adults, 13 for ordinarily active, and 12 for inactive. Anyone who has yo-yo dieted has done enough damage to their internal furnace to be in the 10-11 times weight range. Every mammal basically gets the same number of heartbeats in a lifetime. A small mouse that lives only a couple of years has a heart beat many times faster than we do, and also a faster metabolism. Research is showing that the slower your metabolism, all things being equal, the longer you will live. One of the things that both the Okinawa Centenrian Study and the New England Centenrian Study showed that most people who live to be 100 have a low calorie consumption. There is actually a calorie restriction society, where members only eat 1200 calories a day for the rest of their lives, and mostly whole foods. They had an article on CNN recently about them. Living to be 100 is kind of a over the rainbow goal I have. I just have to remind myself that eating 1200 calories at 150 pounds is much more adequate that 1200 calories at 400 pounds.

I'm a big clipping keeper. I have a couple that might help with the brain hunger side of things. First ten ways to bust a craving. 1. Wait it out, they usually lessen in 10 minutes. 2. The smell of banana, peppermint, or green apple can quell food cravings. 3. Brush your teeth. 4. 400 milligrams of magnesium a day can curb chocolate urges in about a week. 5. Anything with natural tryptophan (oats, almonds, warm milk, turkey) can curb sugar and carbo cravings. 6. Drink lots of water. 7. Run for 3 minutes and burn 26 calories. 8. The triangle of cartilage where the ear meets the cheek is called the appetite control point. Pinch the area with thumb and index finger for 30 seconds when craving hits. 9. Play your favorite CD. 10. Remember that deprivation can lead to bingeing.

To overcome the obstacle of comforting yourself with food, 1. Eat at the table. 2. Keep a diary not just of what you are eating, but also what you are feeling like when you eating, and exercising. Try to identify patterns. 3. Take three deep breaths before you eat. It makes your brain engage so you don't eat mindlessly. 4. Distract yourself. Write a list of 20 comforting or entertaining things you could do when you have an urge.

I couldn't have come as far as I have without the use of a food diary. I can have anything I want as long as I write it down, own it, and take responsibility for it. When I think about a 200 calorie cookie or something, I realize I'd rather have a veggie burger. It forces me to do mini cost/benefit analysis. The owner of the vegetable stand a few blocks from my apartment knows me by name now. I basically go once a week, and get one of everything that looks fresh. Even if I have never tried it before, that's what cookbooks are for. Today the yellow peppers called to me, as did the leeks. Most of the things I eat now were never served in my house growing up. We even chicken fried vegetables when I little. Come a long way baby.

Catherine
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #18  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

S/C/G: 329/266.75/190

Height: 5'7"

Hello Everyone!

I am back and wish I was till there ...

I had a wonderful time. The baby is probably due around November but she isn't far along enough yet to know. I stayed OP all weekend except last night. My brother took me to try Indian food. SWEET MOTHER OF GOD WAS IT GOOD!! I had Chicken Saag which looks just gross beyond imagine but it is so good! I did eat a little too much. But not at much as I used to. So I was happy with myself. I didn't clean my plate I had leftovers!! YUM!

I also went to a Dick's Sportings goods. And found the bike of my dreams. Now I just have to wait until my tax refund gets here and then that bike is mind. It is a DiamondBack Wildwood. Ahhh...When I get it I will definitely take a picture for you guys. It is a lot more than I want to spend but I can't help it. This bike and me were meant to be together. (I know I have serious issues with bicycles)

I would love to live there it is such a little town but just an 1.5 hours away from Louisville. I don't think I am brave enough to move down there though. Of course then I could see the baby all the time .

I have read all the posts. I just dont' think I could catch up with everyone. If i did it would take a whole thread!

Catch ya later...

Scoot
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #19  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

2X2 Challenge 2-14-2005 to 2-28-2005
Thinthinker
Judy
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #20  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

S/C/G: 329/266.75/190

2X2 Challenge 3-14-2005 to 3-28-2005
Thinthinker
Judy
Scooter

Thin I am changing the 2x2 you have it in February
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:46 PM   #21  

Oh Thinkthinker, sweety, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make him sound like a cad. He's actually really supportive. He tells me I'm beautiful at any weight, and that he's proud of me for sticking to my diet, and he's switched from regular soda to C-2 (half the calories) or drinking stuff I don't like. He is insensitive to my needs, sometimes, but I don't think it's intentional, and when I get upset with him, I write it in my blog, and ask him to read it. That's what happened last time, and he apologized.

He just doesn't see the need "for him to be on a diet" just because I'm on one.

I get what he means, but, it just makes it harder with the stuff in the house.

Since I joined at the end of this 2 x 2 I'll participate in the next one. I'll have to run out and buy a scale that works.

Everyone, thanks for the mind hunger tips.

I cannot express how happy I am to have found you all. Thank you very much.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #22  

Question: what do you ladies do (if you're counting calories) about foods that don't have calorie counts? Or one's you can't measure exactly (if you don't have a food scale at home).

I bought a chicken cesar salad from the deli at the store the other day and I'm wondering how I should count that calorie-wise.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #23  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Thinthinker
Judy
Scooter
MissMeliss
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #24  
working off those pounds

Wow, it was a long day. Danielle was a total pain in the butt today. Since she has frontal lobe brain damage, she has no impulse control, so when she's angry or in a bad mood it can be very VERY frustrating to take care of her. Her brain gets an urge to do something, and she lacks the ability to stop herself, for example if she sees a drink on the counter, or a cup, she'll just grab it and take a slug of it, no matter WHAT is in it. Today she came this <> close to spraying Febreeze in her mouth :/ She requires CONSTANT supervision so it's like having all the worst qualities of a two year old in an adult body. My boss told me to drop her off at 4:00 because she would be just getting out of her meeting, well they didn't get out until 5:30, so i had to wait in this tiny waiting room with a very irate young lady

Shopaholic: personally, i intend to eat an ice cream cake on my april fool's birthday

Tracy: I don't know if you're SUPPOSED to, but I use regular "people" shampoo on my dogs, even conditioner!! Of course, I have a yorkie and he has very fine hair, but i'm careful not to get it in their eyes...it makes them smell delightful (when it's dry of course, nothing worse than the smell of a wet dog).

Hilta: How did your muddy walk go?

Thin: Hmmmm...I know EXACTLY what you mean with the whole "missing envelope" story. There are important things in those things!!! Also, congrats on being hit on!! That's the best, isn't it? You were telling me the story I had this vision of him as this young kid, and I hope he was, that would have been great!

Scooter: My boyfriend is English, so naturally he always ate Indian food growing up (Indian food in england is like Chinese food here, EVERYONE has it and there's a restaurant on every street corner). They say it's simply loaded with flavor, and that you either love it or hate it.

Catherine: That's a LOT of calories...is that to sustain a current weight? or to lose weight? I'm also interested to see what you made with your yellow peppers and leeks.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #25  

Yup, yum.

I'm guessing it's to sustain.

But it's not my book.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #26  
working off those pounds

Hey Shopaholic, i just saw your post over on the bios thread - I DID notice that our birthdays are the same, i think i mentioned it at some point yesterday, somewhere. i don't recall...anyways, yay!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #27  

Thinthinker
Judy
Scooter
MissMeliss
Mamamoo
mamamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #28  

So I have had a pretty ok day. I went to curves this morning, and weighed in about 5 pounds less than I did last Monday, and that was with tennis shoes on(last time was barefoot)!! That was very exciting for me. I am trying to change my eating too, but am not doing so well on that(which is why I was so surprised at my wright loss). I am going to have my major goal (besides the exercise)be to drink enough water. I was to be drinking 3 liters a day at least(for nursing and being overweight I think I need this much), and for my eating I am just going to concentrate on not having refined sugars/carbs. With as active as I've been so far I think that will be ok until I loose some of the bulk, then I may have to start limiting calories and such, but I'm just not into counting calories much right now.

Who was the person who was wanting to start a food diary thread? I don't see one there, so I may start my own if y'all don't mind. I think if I have all of it on here and know people are probably looking at it, I may make better choices. LOL I had way too many peanut m&ms and pizza over the weekend, and I am suffering from it energy wise. Blech.

I can't imagine leaving my hubby when i get healthy, seems pretty crappy to me. If he stayed with me at my worst(I'm there now), why would I want to leave him when things are better...just seems awful. I know my hubby is a bit afraid of it too...could be why he bought a 3 pound bag of m&ms(YES 3 POUNDS!!!) this weekend. <sigh> I must talk to him and reassure him. Shoot hubby's home time to go workout. Debi
mamamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Stop! Do not post here! Join us on the next numbered thread!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote