Old 07-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #16  
Lisa

Smile

Scooter - we did have a conference and we trained our mascot to bless the other states you can't tell me that you don't LIKE them?!

How's everyone today? I've been pretty good - kinda crabby today - though I shouldn't be - the sun is shining, it's warm, but not humid (for once), and the kids are all sleeping

Lucky - we'll need to have everyone up so they can see just how humid it can get here in the summer or else we can do a fall fling and maybe we'll have another halloween blizzard

2cute - yup, I'll get it right next time

Gotta run - hope y'all have a super day!
ljs1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #17  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! Just stopping in for a minute. I have a nasty summer cold and feel miserable. I would like to just curl up and die right now, but that's not an option, unfortunately. I have all the paperwork to do from my jobs today. I did move three out of the nine out until tomorrow. But that still leaves paperwork for six of them to do tonight.

I did want to post Syn's recipe for Chai Tea over here and remind everyone not to count that one out just because it's summer. Make up a batch, put it in the fridge to cool, and serve it over crushed ice. Yummy!

Syn's Chai Tea Mix

1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups powdered non-dairy creamer
2 teaspoons vanilla powder*
2-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. In a blender or food processor bowl, place 1 cup at a time, and process until mixture is blended and the particles are fine.

Add 2 heaping serving tablespoons Chai Tea mixture to a mug of boiling water and stir to mix well.

*If you can’t find vanilla powder, mix 2 tsp. Vanilla extract with some of the sugar until blended and dry. Then process with remaining ingredients in blender or food processor.

Note from ThinThinker: I subbed out the sugar for Splenda and it was wonderful. You would never know the difference and it significantly reduced the calories.

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully I'll feel better later and be back by.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:20 PM   #18  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Hi all,

Still not ready to step on the scales but things are improving. Portion sizes are down, water is up and I've avoided the demon . I still need to work on avoiding the office snack pit where I have fallen prey to Chex Mix in single serving bags.

LUCKY: Right now I'm thinking the NY State mascot is the Deerfly. Nasty critters wait in the driveway for me to pull in. Then they pound on the windows until I get out of the car. Then they bite any bare skin, they get stuck in my hair and bite my head. If I don't put on a hat I have to run for the house windmilling my arms around my head. Hmm .... wonder if that counts as exercise?

THIN: Syn's tea sounds great. I'll have to go ingredient shoping on the weekend. Try to get some rest and hit the cold meds.

ANDRIA: You're doing great!!!!!! Journaling is a wise idea. It always helps me stay OP. Now, where is that little notebook????

Gotta run (not literally ) I'll try to stop back later.
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:29 AM   #19  
Dancing those pounds away

There are not a lot of posters today.

Lucky... The mosquito is so BIG in Okla they are our state BIRD !!!
I always wanted to visit the north... but after your descripton ... I may just have to pass. LOL I had no idea you had tornadoes that far north.

Judy... you did not make NY sound any more inviting either. Your Deerflys sound a lot like our horseflys here. LOL

Thin... what do we have to look forward to when we come to Michigan.??? LOL
On a more serious note.. I hope you get feeling better soon. There is nothing worse than a summer cold.

Lisa... Halloween Blizzard !!!???!!! We had snow BEFORE Halloween one year... but it was no blizzard.. just an inch or two.
Our vacation is October this year.... I am going to have to avoid Minn until spring

Hello to everyone else. Tina.. I am surprised you have not posted about Tony's win. I was looking forward to your enthusiasm.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 07-15-2004 at 01:32 AM.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:35 AM   #20  
BELIEVE!

Good Morning Beautiful Ladies!!!

BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:47 AM   #21  
a work in progress...

Talking No work for me til AUGUST 2!!!!!

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

[doing the happy puppy dance here...think Snoopy]

Okay, pant pant, I'm done....giggle

Lots to do now to prepare for our trip, but I have a few days to get it all together.

I need to get a few hours sleep...so I'll check in later.

love to all...
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:50 AM   #22  
Lisa

Wink

Good morning!

I'm up and ready for the day - nice and quiet here right now. The kiddies are supposed to be here around 7:00 so I only have a few minutes to write.

Today is Thankful Thursday okay, so I'm thankful for:
-The beautiful this morning
-The absolute peace and quiet right this minute
-The birds are singing and that's about the only sound I hear right now - almost heaven
-And, as always, I'm thankful for my beautiful family and my beautiful friends

[COLOR=Magenta]Everyone have a fabulous day![/COLOR]

Last edited by ljs1223; 07-15-2004 at 07:54 AM.
ljs1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:07 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies!

I am thankful for a relief from the humidity today. Its a nice summer morning. I felt so good, I got in a 9 mile bike ride. Yahoo! And the scale is being nice again and showing lower numbers.

DH had a wonderful time at the farmer's market yesterday. He made a delicious pasta salad last night of tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, red peppers, green peppers, and onions. The raw veggies were great.

I don't have time to post replies. Thin - Take care of that cold! Howdy to everyone!

Let's make this a fabulous, healthy day!

P.S. Someone should email Katie Couric and tell her that her frosted eyeshadow and frosted pink lipstick don't make her look any younger. Maybe its the Tammy Faye mascara she has going this morning.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #24  
Dancing those pounds away

Just popping in to say GOOD MORNING !!!!
I am headed out to get in my swim.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:33 AM   #25  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! Just a quickie. Not feeling any better, but work calls. 7 jobs to do today and it's 10:30 already! YIKES!

I did jump on the scale this morning and was down 2.6. Now, before you get all congratulatory, remember it's been what? 4 weeks since I weighed last. Not making HUGE progress, but progress it is!

I'm sitting here waiting for the laptop they gave me to charge up. Apparently the power cord came out and I didn't notice and now I don't have a battery to go on. I wonder how much a car cord would cost for this thing? Ummm? Maybe should check that out.

Anyway, I'm off to get the rest of my stuff ready so I can get out of here when I get the "green light". See you all later. Love you bunches.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #26  

Hiya everyone!

Today I am thankful that we had two nights of wondrous rain and the lawn and garden are definately saying "thank you" too! This also means no watering for me this week, which translates into a lower water bill...now just to get out and clear up everything that blew into the yard and weed and deadhead. Good, enjoyable exercise! *woo*

I am also really thankful that I tried the Taco Soup that Thin posted in the recipe section...yummy! It was sooo easy to make and my husband and son absolutely loved it. I usually like some shredded chicken in my tortilla soup, so I am going to try to add that to the taco soup next time as well. If you like a little bit of a spicy soup, you really HAVE to try this one=)

I put a long post at the end of 546 and think it kinda got lost there, so if you are interested in reading a good article on walking and wearing a pedometer each day to mark your progress, I included a link in that post. As I said in that post too...my son is finally off grounding (so now I am "off" now too since I am not stuck in the house with him *LOL*) and we went to see "Anchor Man" yesterday. Too funny! My son said he thinks it is right up there with "Liar, Liar", which is his fave of all time, so that's a pretty good review from a teenage boy's perspective if any of you have teenagers you want to take to a good movie and laugh together. Oh, and I also figured out why Terri called her cycle "TOM"...duh on me! *rofl*

BarbPA ~ thanks for the WELCOME, sweets Stay on that roller coaster and hang on for dear life...you have everything to gain=) Best of luck on finding a really good place to work out. We have a new YMCA here in town, but I am ashamed to say that I feel too self-conscious for anyone to see me out in a bathing suit...I have to get out of that mode and just GO, right? Right! hehe

Lisa ~ what a smile of remembrance I had from reading your story about putting your son into his big-boy's bed! Omg, how they pull at your heartstrings and funny bone when they come up with great lines like his "help me"...that is precious! *LOL*

paperdoll ~ Gratzies on the new baby kitty! I would absolutely love to have a cat to flounce around with my yellow lab, Callie. She has been asking for one too, but mean old daddy won't let us have one. Of course, as he knows, I would probably have a literal zoo around here if he didn't keep saying no to all the pets I would like to bring home *rofl*

Scooter ~ I hope that you get your treadmill soon!! I tell you, mine has just been instrumental in my losing weight and keeping that pedometer reading high each day. Gratzies on staying the same...that is sometimes the biggest part of the battle I tried watching Nip/Tuck, but maybe I got a week when there wasn't a good episode either...the characters just didn't seem to be very "real", but then that is a whole different world than I live in and I guess that's why we watch those kind of shows *L* What are you reading right now? I just got done with "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown, which was exceptional. Now I have started reading "The Stones of Summer" by Dow Mossman. It is starting off a bit slow, but I *think* getting better...gonna stick it out a few more chapters at least and hope

Mary ~ Sooo glad your son made it home! I am in agreement that you should just hug him until he is blue instead of choking him hehe

Andria ~ Good job on the .5 loss! I am sure it feels absolutely wonderful to be able to walk down that hill without aching. I twisted my knee earlier this year and ended up with a sprain in there that kept me down and out for several days. I know that my weight both led to the incident and kept me from getting around well after it, but now I am back on the treadmill 35-60 minutes 5 times a week and no longer have any aches and am sooo thankful for that as well. Keep up the good work and good luck with the further healing. I have the same problem with skipping meals and then eating too much out of desperation and starvation later on in the day, but it sounds like you have a really good handle on it and are thinking of it consciously, which is awesome. It really is tough to remember that we aren't doing ourselves any favors by skipping those small meals throughout the day and then packing it in later...thanks for bringing that point up and helping me keep that in the front of my mind too!

Thin ~ Feel better, hon!

Terri ~ Mmmm, fresh veggies from the Farmer's Market! I could almost taste that pasta salad you described and might have to run over to the market here in town today while I am out taking my son to his dentist appt. Ack, did I mention that he is only 14 and already has to have his wisdom teeth taken out? We are going today for a consultation and to decide which type of anesthesia would be best for him Does your Farmer's Market carry green tomatoes? Hehe...I always have to ask ours to bring them in every year. I know fried is not the best way to have veggies, but I have to make a way to get in at least one batch of fried green tomatoes per year

Gonna post this and hope it doesn't get buried at the bottom again when a new thread starts Have a great day everyone!

Kit
Kitaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:17 AM   #27  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

S/C/G: 329/266.75/190

Height: 5'7"

Talking

So last night I walk in the house from work and my two-year old nephew is in the front room and he is yelling happily "tootie tootie your exercise is here" I looked at him funny and he ran to the back of the house saying it the whole time he jumped toward "my exercise" and did Vanna White hands and said tada. MY DAD FINALLY PICKED UP THE TREAD MILL. WOOHOO!

So I woke up early this morning and did about 15 minutes of my treadmill. I gotta work my way up. I can walk two miles outside fine but on a treadmill I get tired quicker I don't really understand.

Kit I am currently reading the Wizard & The Glass by Stephen King. It is the third book in the Dark Tower Series. I read Digital Fortess at Christmas. It was a great book. I read the Da Vinci Code too it was really good and definitely made you think.

Well gotta work...

Scoot
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #28  

Hiyas all!

Scooter ~ WOOHOO on the arrival of your treadmill!! Does your treadmill have a bar for you to hold onto or the short "arms" that come out each side to hold? I found the same thing that you did...that I could not walk as far on my treadmill as I did outside, UNLESS I was holding onto the arm extensions for a little extra support. I am not sure why this is either exactly *boggle*, but if you have something to hold onto, it does help. If not, then yes, just keep doing a little at a time and soon you will work your way up to walking just fine. I no longer use my supports and use the 2# handheld weights that came with my treadmill for at least 15 minutes each time I use the machine. Also, just make sure that you don't have the treadmill set on an incline either because that, of course, makes it seem much tougher than walking out on a straightaway. Very happy for you...You can do it!!!
~I read the Gunslinger series years ago (W&G was the last that had come out) and was so mortified when Stephen King had that "accident" where he was hit by the driver of that van! Of course I was worried that he was ok, but also that he might not finish the series *gulp* I just ordered the 5th and 6th books in the series from Amazon and they are sitting on the shelf waiting for me to finish the books I am currently reading that I need to get done and return to the library. *L*

Outties for nowwies...take care all!

Kit
Kitaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:00 AM   #29  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Just wanted to check in before drugging myself again and hitting the sheets. Trying to avoid a coughing jag and get some sleep, ya know?

It's my mom's 83rd birthday tomorrow and I'm taking her to lunch and then to the show with my cousin. And then when Honey gets home, we'll take her to dinner. So my day will be very busy. I hope I feel human by morning.

I will talk to you all later in the day. Love ya bunches.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:14 AM   #30  
a work in progress...

I've never had Fried Green Tomatoes, but I did like the movie!

I would imagine if you fry them in some olive or canola oil, which contain good for you fatty acids, they should be okay. A way to get another vegetable in can't be all bad!

Feel better, Miss Thin!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote