Old 04-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+...and ready to try AGAIN!....#511

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

We are currently taking a poll regarding the best time for us all to get together and chat.

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:34 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies!

I hope that everyone is having a good weekend. Its been a beautiful, spring weekend here.

Yesterday, we launched the new boat and spent two hours putzing around the lake breaking in the motor. It was windy and cool so it wasn't exactly fantastic but it was nice. I'll probably have sinus problems because of the wind. And we learned how difficult landing the boat at the marina is going to be in the wind - especially when all the other boats are there too. The way this marina is designed; there are no planks between the boats so it very difficult to keep from being blown into the boat next to you until you are tied off. I better be working to develop my arm muscles!

Today, I've been hemhawing about going to a Party Lite party this afternoon. Since I didn't get anything done yesterday, I've been gritching to myself about losing all of this afternoon too since its a 45 mile drive one way and its at 3 pm. Well, I solved that problem. I looked at my email for the directions and the party was YESTERDAY! I did not read very carefully because I read April 3rd and my mind processsed that as Sunday. I just read where she said "See you on Saturday". I do feel bad for saying that I would be there and then not showing without calling. What an idiot.

So, that means today will be spent going to church then doing stuff around the house. I've got bill work to do and laundry plus general clean up stuff. Of course it doesn't look like the wind is blowing now. Maybe we'll take the dog over for his first boat ride. He will love it.

On the health front, DH and I went to WW for WI yesterday morning. He made fun of me because I took my shoes off. He weighs with his on because its too hard to him with the neuropathy. I lost 7.2 pounds and almost squealed. He lost 3.6 and he said he could have lost more too if he'd taken his shoes off. He felt better after I reminded him that I had weighed the last time with the cast on and part of my 7 lbs was the cast. He was thrilled for me when I said that I finally hit the 25 lb mark and that I got a prize. And I wasn't going to let her end the meeting without giving me that damn magnet either! Now I am less than 3 pounds from my 10% achievement.

We went to Wal-mart after the meeting for boat supplies. I picked up a 20 lb anchor and handed it to DH and said, I've lost 5 more pounds than this weighs and you have 2 of those to lose. He was speechless. Any wonder why our bodies ache so much?

Yesterday the topic of the meeting was our reasons for losing weight. She asked us why we first joined WW whether it was years ago or recent. Many people said it was for an event. A wedding. A vacation. A class reunion. Etc. She told the story of one member who came in with a 100 pounds to lose and her daughter was getting married in a year. She asked if she could achieve that. Dixie, the leader, told her that she couldn't guarantee a 100 pound loss but they could certainly help her get closer than she was then. The lady was very motivated and very dedicated to losing the weight before the wedding. About a month before the wedding, Dixie tried to coach her about finding another reason for losing the weight because the reason was about to run out. The lady didn't really buy into it. By the time of the wedding, she had lost an amazing 92 pounds. But when the wedding was over, so was her motivation. And she gained 100 pounds. The moral of the story is that we need to be viewing this as a lifelong practice of health. We need to approach this as living healthy and doing the things it takes to live healthy. It isn't a diet to get us to an event. We need the exercise to keep our joints lose and muscles firm as well as build bone mass; we need the water to keep our bodies well hydrated and cleansed; we need to eat the healthy foods full of vitamins, healthy oils, and antioxidants. Counting points; weighing foods; tracking minutes are only tools to get us going in the right direction. Its too easy to lose our focus and then think, well my chick friends will understand because we have all been down that road. We come in and dump our feelings of failure and get rewarded by the hugs of friends. We need to take the hugs and tackle the emotional struggle that knocks us off our course.

I challenge everyone to take the time to deal with the mental attitude that is keeping you from doing what you want. To really focus on if you really want to buckle down and use the tools and turn your health around or just talk about it. Its a conversation I had with myself. Either I was going to focus on being healthy or quit wasting my time and making myself miserable with failure. There are down days and the key is whether a bad day turns into many or else you overcome the bad with positive action.

I did not say anything this morning to offend anyone. It was just an eye-opening message.

I need to go get DH up and ready for church. Have a great Sunday!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #3  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Shoop, shoop. I have no idea why I say that word, I think it sounds funny..and it reminds me of that episode of Friends where Rachel talks about skiing in NH. She uses "shoop" to illustrate her moving down the snowy mountain.
Anyways..where has everyone been all weekend?? I thought *I* was MIA. I've had a crummy weekend and I'm going to make sure I make up for it today and next week.
I have a YANNI concert to go to tonight (I've been looking forward to this for like five years..) and normally I'd think that would give me another excuse to eat badly, but I don't want to go that route.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #4  
Hang In There

Ouch!!!! Terri you are stepping on my toes here!

Unfortunatly I know everything you said was the truth. But that is really my problem. I was not "fat" as a child or a young adult. I only gained this weight since I turned 30, and no matter how hard I try or how big a size I have to buy I do not see my self as fat.and let me assure you at almost 300 pounds I AM fat

I consider dieting my hobby. I know that is terrible and I know the reason I can't lose weight is that I cannot commit to the hard work involved. I love to exercise, so that's not a problem for me. but sticking to any kind of eating plan is. And the fact that my DH was always so much bigger than me also aided in my illusion, but since his WLS he's lost about 150 pounds and everyone is always making over him, about how good he'd done and how good he looks, etc. That just makes me eat more. I have to show him that I can eat more than him now!!!

Well, I think I need to pay attention and think about all that you've said, and get off my FAT @&& and get serious!

Terri, thanks, I needed that!
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:17 PM   #5  

hi all youve got me confused now one minute im posting on 510 and the next i see a 511 please tell me where im meant to be im getting hopelessly lost BARB G if i could still exercise and do the things i want to do then i would probably have a heck of a time sticking to any eating plan either infact when i started putting on weight i workrd and was bringing up two small kids and still went out dancing and out with the kids and i though healthy eating was something i didnt need its only now that im so ill and unable to do much of what i want that im desperatly looking for help and i think having an ulterior motive like illhealth does give you that kick up the backside i needed it can get so upsetting when people keep telling you your killing yourself
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:54 PM   #6  
a work in progress...

Terri, That was an excellent post, well said!! I think you'd be an awesome WW leader!No offense whatsoever, taken here. You're so right. We come here and rant about how bad we were and it's all, "That's okay, Honey!" \

That's NOT what I need!

How about we post each day about how GOOD we were...what we did to contribute to our weight loss...how we moved our bodies, how we tried some new healthy dish, how we meditated instead of feeding our hurt feelings/bad moods/etc...

Talk is cheap. Let's DOsomething to make a difference this week!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:01 PM   #7  

Hi ladies!

I'm with you, Kat. I am so close to my 10% achievement and I want it at next WI in two weeks. And after that, 30 lbs. I want those things before summer. I know I have to focus and work the plan if I am going to achieve this.

Linus - We start a new thread when the old one reaches 30 posts. Sometimes that every couple of days; sometimes a little longer. Glad to have you here!

I need to go next door and see if I can help the neighbor (our painting neighbor) figure out his Quickbooks so he can do his taxes. Maybe if I help him with the books, I can barter to have him paint the rec room!

Have a great evening!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:03 PM   #8  

P.S.

Don't miss that I lost 7.2 pounds and got my 25 star magnet. Together we lost 10.8 in two weeks!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:15 PM   #9  

Talking

Terri: Congrats on the weight loss. Boating sounds so peaceful. I love water. I can see one of our 10,000 lakes from my house!!!!

Well, Kat..something I did good - It all depends on how one looks at it. Some would say I did good but some (like my brother) would say I was just nuts.

Saturday I went outside and started moving stuff and raking & hauling leaves at 9AM. I went in the house at 2PM and had a sandwich. Back out to the leaves until 5PM. I then took an shower - HOT - sat down and couldn't get back up!!! I hurt everywhere! Plus I am still black and blue from when I fell a week ago. But not being one to pass up a nice day outside -
this moring I got up, did laundry, talked to a friend I hadn't for awhile, ordered a chain saw & pole saw and was back outside at 11AM. I raked, burned and hauled somemore. Oh, and I did some digging in the dirt too. I came in at 5PM and took another HOT shower. Now I REALLY hurt!!! Tomorrow should be fun - if I can move.

I did have to stand back and admire the part I did get raked - it looks so nice.

Tomorrow I have to start on my medicine for my tooth - Amoxicillin and Metronidazol - I have an infection in one of my capped teeth. I didn't start taking the medicine Friday because I wanted to be sure I was in good form for raking.

Anyway, I already have a good thing to report for Monday - it says on the Metronidazol information it can cause "loss of appetite". A side bonus, I figure.

BarbG: You stole my story!!! I have the same scenerio - I put this weight on late in life and just never think of myself as overweight until I look in the mirror.

Off to reserarch some plants.
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:03 PM   #10  

Default Thanks Terri

I needed that. I have not been on plan at all. I have kept up excersise, however not like I should. Blue is doing so well. She has also developed what I call the "mother look' Her grandmother had it, I thought I did, and she definitely does. I'm embarassed to say how many things she has taken out of my shopping cart recently.

Okay - once again time to dust off and kick some wieght loss butt!

I'm going to do my band excersises before bed tonight, and get with it.

thanks again!

PS. - Major step - Blue waxed my eyebrows. Now I know that hasn't got anything to do with weight lost (they weren't THAT bushy) However I am 47 going on 48 and I have never had them "done" Kat (blue) also told me I really don't look fifty, which is a good thing as I am not there yet
kantsing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:40 AM   #11  

Good morning LADIES! (think Robin Williams yelling Good morning VIETNAM!)

Okay, the weekend is over. Its Monday. Time to start anew.

How are you going to define success today? That you walked? That you threw out junk food? That you journalled your food? Pick out three behaviors that you can and will accomplish today to make you successful. (Sorry but I've been through management training over the last few months where we are changing our way of thinking to focusing on behaviors - expected, good ones, and bad ones - so that's coming through here too!)

I've done my general conditioning workout and have a healthy lunch packed. I've got my water jug filled and ready to hit the road. A WW evening meal is planned - beef with asparagus and cherry tomatoes. I intend to do 15 mins on the stationary bike and take the dog for a slow 20 min walk.

Its Motivation Monday, so let's show some motivation. Concentrate only on today. Not on the long haul.

My battery is running down and I need to get to work.

Make this a fabulous day!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #12  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

Default Motivated Monday

Terri, I hear you loud & clear...10 years of management training & motivationg other people- time to turn it to work for myself.

Today's successes: staying on plan. Doing some form of exercise, despite a stupid ankle injury. Grocery shopping tonight, and not letting any bad items fall into my cart. Stopping at the 2 cups of tea I had this morning for the much needed caffeine boost. Getting all my water in.

longer term motivation for me...I'm *just thiiiis close* to having a new middle #...originally my goal was to be under 350 by the end of April. With a lot of hard work, and kicking up my exercise for the Easter Challenge like I've been planning, I'm hoping I'm under that. Working hard for that, too.

Ok- now to tell you how stupid I feel today- I haven't hurt myself lifting weights, or on the bike, or even tripping over the cats doing the WATP videos. Nope- hubby & I went shopping at the mall this Saturday, and sure enough, in the parking lot, on the way out, I stepped down wrong- the sidewalk was supposed to be flat, not a ramp...and the ankle buckled. Yowch! It's really tender- it stiffened up almost immediately, and I kept an ace bandage on it the rest of the weekend, just to try & keep it supported. Today I have my "granny" shoes on- I love them, but the fashion plates here at work think they're old-fashioned. They give a lot of support, so I'm hoping that by tomorrow I can try the 1 mile WATP and just baby that ankle a few more days.

Ok, dragging my sorry self off to feign interest in my marketing stuff on my desk...tonight I better be able to fall asleep- the first few days of the time change really kill me
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:34 PM   #13  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Well yesterday was a looong day....I went to a Yanni concert and I MET YANNI. Let me say that again..I MET YANNI!!! :clap:
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #14  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Have I mentioned lately that this is the best bunch of women in the world! Thank you for all the super positive posts. I feel totally empowered just reading them!

I've been working my program, and it feels great. I didn't get to WI this morning because I was too tired to drive down the hill and back, but the last jump on the scale Saturday morning showed me down 5.75 lbs from Monday! You all know I'm dying to get back to the scale and see if it is still sliding down. I am within 16 lbs. of breaking through the 300+ wall. I want it so bad. But even more than wanting to break that barrier, I am loving how much better my body feels. I actually RAN up a flight of stairs this morning!!! Losing this weight is doing phenomenal things towards the healing of my knee.

I'm falling asleep at the computer because I haven't had a chance to sleep yet. Will try to get back in later. *HUGS*

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 05:21 PM   #15  

Default im motivated

hi all how are we all? right i got on the bandwagon with this motivation thing ive set mt diet goals and took all my gory measurements and i will post them in my journal so i have an online record of them and as i always weigh myself on a monday ive lost another4llbs so ive actually lost 21 pound since the first of march i also had a very unpleasant phonecall to the leader of the local ww apparently after she heard what weight i was "theres no really new people there and theres nobody quite as big as me there so i would be on my own "so i joined slimming world and my first meeting is on thursday im a bit scared as ive never been to anything like this before but im going
hope thats motivated enough
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote