Old 06-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Default Motivation vs Commitment

Being 300+ we have a long journey ahead of us to reach our goal. Also when we reach goal we want to stay there. So many times we talk about motivation. Once in a while someone mentions commitment.
A few weeks ago I looked up the difference and loved what I found. I thought I would share some quotes with you.
Please feel free to add your own motivating or commitment quotes/sayings.

"Motivation is what gets you started. Commitment is what keeps you going." - ?

"Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has left you." - ?

"Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes; but no plans."- Peter F. Drucker

"Don't let your dreams just be dreams Make it a reality." - ?

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."- Margaret Thatcher

"There is a difference between motivation and commitment. When you are motivated to do something you only do it when it is convenient. When you are committed to something, you accept no excuses; only results." - ?

Last edited by Ubee; 06-11-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #2  

Thanks for posting. Motivation and commitment are both very important.
Heathersgoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #3  

Thanks Heather.
I struggle with both so I hope we can all add to this thread to help us along on our journey.
What quotes or sayings have encouraged some of you?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #4  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

For me its:
"If you are tired of starting over stop giving up" and "Today's Goal: Do better than yesterday".
I frequently have to remind myself to take it day by day.
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/309/170

Height: 5'5"

"If you are tired of starting over stop giving up" - love this! thank you ichoose2believe.
megalodawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #6  

Great thread...I recently did a blog post on MFP that was pretty much on point. Change "Determination" to "Commitment" and we're right in sync.

Recently, I've said a number of times, "How do you stay motivated for so long?" "I get so TIRED of thinking about food." "I don't know how I'll keep it up."

Idiot.

I'm a mom. My son has been, shall we say - challenging - since he was in his mid-teens. I truly can't count the number of times I've said things like, "You don't work for fun, you work bcause they pay you and then you have money for fun on your days off." "I don't care if you want to go to school/work/etc., you still have to do it." "Do you think Dad and I want to cook/clean/work/etc.? We do it because has to be done."

I KNOW and always have known, that some things you don't want to do, you just have to do. But until today it never occured to me that applies to eating right and logging my food. Browsing the message boards I came across a brilliant post. I hope she doesn't mind me quoting her here.

@Alatariel75 said:
Quote:
Motivation is a fickle, fickle master and can easily be overturned by all sorts of other emotions and occurrences. I'm currently coming of a big bout of, not just lack of motivation, but bloody minded self sabotage.

In short my advice is - stop relying on motivation. Motivation is a positive emotion - meaning when you aren't so positive it wanes, and it isn't always around. Do you go to work because your motivated? clean your house because your motivated? Wash your clothes, shop for food, pay your bills? Nope - you do them because you have to and that's a part of life. Try and think of weight loss as in the same category. You're not doing it because you 'want' to (which is motivation), do it because you HAVE to (which is determination, even resignation).

How did this never occur to me?

I don't get up in the morning and get on that nasty elliptical - or as my husband and I call it - The Infernal Machine - because I like it. I heave a big sigh, say, "I can do this", drag my butt out of bed and, as Nike says, Just Do It. The same way I get in the shower and get ready and go to work. Would I rather just sleep in and then move to the couch, drink coffee for three hours and laze the day away? Of course. But I HAVE to get up and go to work because I won't get paid if I don't. I hate doing dishes, laundry, cleaning - but it has to be done. If I don't pull the weeds in the yard, they'll never go away, so I have to do yard work. I know I won't lose weight if I don't exercise...so I HAVE to.

Watching what I eat and logging it on MFP are just two more of those things I HAVE to do. If I don't, I don't lose weight. In fact, I'll gain weight. So I HAVE to do this. I have to come on here every day and log what I eat. I have to be accountable for what goes in my mouth. I have to pay attention. If I don't...well...we know what happens then, it's happened before, I gain back what I've lost.

Just like work and laundry and shopping and bills...this has to be done. Determination - yes, even resignation, is what's needed here. Am I determined to lose? That's the question. If the answer to that is yes then, I have to - as my husband would say - "Suck it up Buttercup" and do what has to be done. Am I determined to keep it off this time and not regain? Then I have to watch what I eat and log my food for the rest of my life. End of story. I don't need motivation. Just like any other of the thousand little things a person has to do to live, I just have to do it because it has to be done.

Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #7  

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of reading about Diana3271 at her highest she weighed 400 pounds. Her goal now is to maintain under 200 pounds. She made it down to 147 six years ago and is now hanging out in about the 170's. She is very inspirational.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 331.2/304.8/180

I'm reading a book titled "A Natural Approach to Mental Wellness", and in it, the author talks about accepting that we need to do things even when we don't feel like doing them, and reading that really helped something to "click" in my mind. Motivation is great when it's there, but definitely not something you want to depend on if you want lasting change.
Sencha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #9  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

S/C/G: 365/284.2/200

Height: 5'9

Boy oh boy how I wish I could figure out this commitment thing. I'm struggling, but trying to stay in the game.
SweetEpiphany is offline   Reply With Quote