Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good extremely wet morniing all. I don't have to take a shower! Toby just came in from the back porch and evidently went out in the rain because he came over to me for a pat like he always does only shook off a LOT of rain onto me first. Ah, the wonderful smell of wet dog.

Ubee -- You got me literally sitting here by myself laughing out loud. After the pancake house visit (oh, don't I wish that was where I was going!), I am taking Bill to pick up his truck down in the valley. So the temptation to eat out of control will be gone. For some reason I always do better when I have someone with me since everyone in the western US knows I'm trying to lose. Do you think one of those blow up dolls would work the same way? They don't seem to fool the state patrol when people have used them in the HOV lanes.

Sam -- Glad that Ubee and I as your cheerleaders have helped. The varicose veins don't look so good in our outfits, but the intent is pure of heart. I just ignore the MFP calorie recommendation and only use it as an upper range guideline. If I ate the number of calories they said I should, I'd gain weight. If you're not hungry and are still losing, then you're calorie intake is good. You also seem to eat a well balanced diet so use it for tracking and figuring out the calories/carbs/protein, etc.

Fi -- Yikes! Thanks heavens you have the medical background to figure out what was causing the issues. Glad you're getting it stabilized and slowing down the withdrawal. It's hard to get through the day when you feel so badly. Of course, the positive side of this is that you've found something natural that is helping you tremendously.

Lariet -- You're in good company in terms of having lost and then regained. Several of us are going through that right now - myself included. Sounds like you're doing a great job on getting back on the wagon. Welcome (back?) and hope you'll be a regular poster with us.

Jane -- So glad you're back with us, and it will come off again. Life has a way of getting in the way and we all seem to struggle with emotional eating. New job, injury, and I seem to remember you had plans to move. Lots of stuff going on and it takes a toll on us. I'm retired so my stress level is very low and I still struggle with the little day to day bumps in the road.

I've got to go set up several appointments for next week and at some point get the cans hauled to the end of the alley for pickup tomorrow. It's supposed to rain all day so I may get in a couple of showers today. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #47  

Ubee: He is 9. And quite a handful! We are going to have a blast!

Bllondy: Yeah.. yay female hormones. -_- Not. It's that time and I feel fat and bloaty and squishy and blah. The good news is this month I am not eating everything that isn't nailed to the floor, which I suppose is progress. Only problem is, I am not actually that hungry at all. Been eating dinner at least even though I'm not "hungry". Just going to pretend I'm one of those Intermittant Fasters this week LoL.

Good luck everybody and keep up the good work!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #48  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Welcome Lariet!!!

Ubee Don't feel bad!! I'm good with learning curve

Betsey We did get a house. That was where the majority of my lazy dieting came in. We moved, renovated the old place and I went back to work all in a ten day stretch.

just a drive by today.. Work SUCKED today. Still on plan. Scale arrived today so will weigh in tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:12 AM   #49  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hi everybody....and welcome lariet. This is a wonderful forum!
Sam...first personal to you my lovely. You have been through such a lot and you are still upright....dressed and pointing in the right direction!( at least some of the time!) I share some of your history so I know the kind of challenges that kind of burden presents. My thoughts are with you....you are an amazingly strong lady and you will become stronger.
Anticakechick....(mmm....cake) what a great age 9 is! And little boys just LOVE their Mums!

Radiojane.......a rubbish day at work and you stayed on plan??? Way to go you!!

Fi...I am so glad you tracked down the source of your problems so quickly. We can forget, at least I do....how potent some of the psychiatric meds are and how much adjusting it takes with dosage.

Betsy....2 of our dogs like to sit in the rain in the garden....so we have double wet dog but the other 2 huddle pathetically in the porch whimpering to be let in! The teeny pup is too little of course but our jack russell really should be a tad tougher!

Ubee...you and Betsy have been an amazing support for me since I came back ...... I felt I had really come home again.

Well I swam last night with my young man...only 20 lengths for me as I worked on trying to get my knee to bend a bit more.
Then in the gym today...it paid off! I was able to use the recumbent bike for 10 minutes without falling off the seat or twanging a hamstring as my knee bent enough!
I did 40 mins of cardio and 20 mins of various weights and really enjoyed it!

Having a takeaway with our weekend visitors....Chinese....any suggestions for best choices?
Have a great day.
Donna
Old 11-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good Morning!
Donna my Chinese food advice is no deep fried, no rice, something with chicken and veggies, green tea, watch your portions, eat slowly and sit back and enjoy the experience. That is what it is about even more then food. What is wrong with you chicks. Only 20 laps! Do you know how out of shape some of the rest of us are. Stand up and take a bow!
Jane what kind of house did you end up with? When you do step on that scale just picture us all there with you. Chin up we are on the trip back down. You can do this. You have got a tad overdose of spunk!
Anticake isn't it funny how we worry when we are not hungry? I bet when trim people are not hungry they trust their bodies/brain and just don't eat. I still am working on when I see food I don't have to eat it, let alone not eating when not hungry.
Betsy I have an idea. Whenever you are tempted to eat fast food tell yourself you can as long as you take your blow up doll in with you and have it sit at the table with you all the while you are eating. What are you doing next week? (This is sad. Silent get back here!!!)
How is everyone doing?
The scale is moving down for me so I am on a weight loss high.
We may get a snowstorm next week with a high of 28. That should bring me crashing down. On the bright side I will get moving more feeding the wood stove in the basement.
Have a peaceful day!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #51  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Fiona ~ What do you mean by Trashed? The only trashed I know is when your drunk so I wanted to ask what you meant before I just assumed.

Ubee ~ Yeah I check the calories online when the place I eat shows calories online for their food. I only gained a pound so thats good.

Betsy ~ Yeah I take my lunch on Wed's but when I go there at Thursday's thats the day we have cooking class so I dont need to bring a lunch that day.

Lariet ~ Welcome to the thread and forum if your new to the forum too.

Sam ~ Yeah I had a good 2 days at school this week. Yeah my appt's went well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My alarm went off at 5 a.m. this morning but I didnt get out of bed until 5:30 a.m. Its now 6:30 a.m. I'm currently watching my shows while having my morning caffeinated diet soda. I let Clyde outside and I gave him fresh food. I havent ate breakfast yet though. Anyway my plans for today are to get my laundry done this morning and to go on my after dinner walk.

Last edited by Terra1984; 11-07-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 320/314/160

Height: 5'10"

Good morning all!
I feel like it has been a very long time since I've been on here to write anything. Sometimes I can't quit the keyboard and other times I can't stand the keyboard... Anyway, been a bit of a low week for me (pizza, sugar cookies and sitting around) so I'm trying to work out of that funk. Always hard to get into a mindset that I will not eat garbage. My husband says it's time for me to turn my stubbornness inside and be stubborn about working out and eating healthy. I agree..
So, some exciting news.. My sister-in-law sent me a text this morning that she is headed to the hospital to deliver their 4th little girl.. This little girl was one of those, "SURPRISE!!" babies.. Their youngest is 9 and oldest is 12. I'm so excited and praying for safety during labor and delivery.
Another bit of exciting news is that I spoke (2 hours!!) with one of my aunts last night. She has struggled with her weight all her life as well and we actually found out we both weigh close to the same. She is coming to visit next year around May sometime and we committed to lose at least 40 lbs each. So, here's my first goal: Lose 40 lbs by May 2015. I know that is not much weight for a 6 month period but I will certainly not stop if I get there early.

Oh my goodness, Ubee, I laughed at but loved your idea for Betsy about eating fast food.. or rather, not eating it. I will keep that in mind!

Lariet, welcome!
Radiojane, nice to meet you! Keep up the hard work. It will pay off. I know you know that.

All the rest of you lovely ladies, thanks for your words of advice into my life and journey! I appreciate it more than you know. I will work at not burning out. I need to sign out for now but pray you all have a wonderful day!
Old 11-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #53  

Good morning all. It's a gorgeous day here which this time of year means that it's cold.....or what passes for cold out here. Hate to say this, but native Northwesterners are wimpy when it comes to weather.

Bllondy -- Setting goals is always good. Is your aunt a computer person. One thing that really helped me a lot when I was first starting to try to lose weight was to check in weekly with a niece-in-law (don't ask) as we were both trying to lose. It wasn't competitive, it was supportive, but knowing I had to do that helped a lot with keeping me going.

Terra -- Haven't seen Fi on here recently, but trashed can be just feeling blah as well -- no energy, no desire to do anything, no nothing. Hopefully Fi is coming out of the medication issues as we miss her. Sounds like you're into your routine for the day.

Ubee -- OK, you do know I live in a state with legalized pot, right. Do you really think an inflatable doll is going to upset anyone......even if I'm talking to it. I will concede that with my Midwestern roots that I would probably be more embarrassed and upset than anyone in the restaurant! Next week.....guess I'd better start thinking about Thanksgiving and hopefully getting some of the yard work done that I've procrastinated on for 4 months. We really do need SilentArctic back, don't we.

Donna -- Great news on the knee improvement. 20 laps in the pool is great. I remember what a shock it was the first time I went swimming after gaining all of this weight to find out that everything floated and it was really hard to move in the water. I also discovered why life vests used to be called Mae Wests! 20 laps was probably a great workout not to mention doing the bike this morning.

Jane -- Sounds like you've been busy, busy, busy. And kudos on staying on plan when work is a bust.

Anticakechick -- Aren't hormones wonderful.....and horrible all at the same time. Interesting insights into the hunger issue.

Off to the gym in a little while, pick up my BIL's dog since it's nice out so that Toby can have a romp, straighten up the house, and hopefully get a little yard work done. Nothing exciting, but on the move all day. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 409/392/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone! I'm still getting into the swing of things, so forgive me for easing into the conversation slowly.

bllondy, I think that sounds like a very reasonable goal. And it's good that you have a family member to work on it with! I think it's a fantastic idea.

Gosh, I feel like such a slug reading about everyone's exercise successes! I have GOT to get this back pain issue sorted out. I can't for the life of me figure out why doctors won't prescribe the effective muscle relaxers anymore. Used to be I could take one at night for two days and I'd be fine. I've been on these new crappy ones for two weeks and I'm still screaming. Quacks.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #55  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Betsey I forgot our dogs had the same name! How is the pup!

Blondy nice to meet you too! congrats on aunt hood! I'm a serial aunt. 6 nephews and 2 nieces. Best job ever! It's great that you have someone in your family that wants to journey with you.

Ubee yay for your high! We don't have snow yet, but I expect it soon. I miss Wisconsin. That was an awesome vacation. I had the best coffee there.

So.....

I'm back to 414. I'm not nearly as bummed as I thought I'd be. I'm actually just super motivated.

More tomorrow. I need sleep!
Old 11-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #56  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Terra— Betsy defined it well: when I say "trashed," I mean absolutely exhausted.

I had a good evening with Grace tonight: our regular Friday get-togethers have been interrupted by Bob's and my trip to the farm, and then by Hallowe'en, so it's nice to get back into the swing of them again. I showed her the odds & ends I'd assembled for a collage I'd just started on, to let her in on the process of creating one, and she ended up having a terrific idea about how I should put two of the pieces together. It's so much fun talking about art with her—whether it's my art, her art, or someone else's. And she's always so eager to learn new words, new facts, even just hear new stories from her great-aunt. She's truly a breath of fresh air.

But meanwhile—speaking of air!—the kittens can barely breathe, they're so congested. It's too early to tell if the antiviral medication is going to help them. I'm very very worried. I can't think about diet or exercise or barely even Qigong, when my babies are in such bad shape. It's all I can do to maintain what healthy habits I do have, take my own meds, and try not to break down under the stress.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #57  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Fi.....I am so sorry your kitties are in such a bad shape. Big feline cuddles from my cat Mivvy (short for Mwfanwy). It is so worrying when our beloved animals are poorly. Thinking of you.

Radiojane....it was so nice to read that you are "supermotivated". I am too scared to get back on the scale at the moment. Add to that I think they are wildly inaccurate. I will buy new batteries and then try!

Ubee...thanks for the words of wisdom and I am so glad to read that you are on a high. I had a vision in my mind that weight loss is a bit like upside down snakes and ladders....in fact I may just patent that idea!! My young man and I have a goal of 40 lengths before Christmas as that is 1km and sounds like a nice round number!

Terra.....how's the walking honey? Is your foot OK now?

Betsy...I loved the image of you and your blow up friend in Mickey D's having salad instead of burger and fries....well...latex rubber expands so she would have to be careful too! I did titter!

With a bit of pain relief overnight my left knee (aka Magnus........long story!) is OK today just a bit stiff. I have the wonderful mild "exercise" ache which makes me feel all virtuous!
Thanks for the advice about Chinese food. I am making a healthy chicken soup for lunch to avoid being RAVENOUS at takeaway time which I hope may help.
It has finally stopped raining so I am going to drag everybody out for a walk in a while.

Have lovely day chickens.
Donna
Old 11-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good Morning!
Wet and cold today but hopefully the sun will pay us a visit. I have a social life this weekend!!! Today we are taking my daughter and her friend to a movie for special needs persons. I think it is called Hero 6. They turn the sound down, leave the lights on a little. Everyone is wonderful because many of the persons have behavioral issues. If some talk during the movie it is OK. If someone needs to stand up and rock it is OK... It is so nice. Then we will go out for the dreaded Mexican food. I will be good for a change. Tomorrow our daughter goes to respite for the day and we will go out to brunch with family members we like.
Donna we call it chutes and ladders. Do you really call it snakes and ladders?? ICK! I love how you are getting into the strange little humor our group is guilty of. Do not fear the scale. We have all been through a lot worse then weight loss.
Fi sending warm and healing thoughts to your kitties. I am impressed with how you realize how much you can try to tackle at this moment to avoid crashing.
Jane I love Wisconsin 9 months out of the year. It is a pretty state. I am glad you are super motivated. You were one of the main reasons I tossed my fear to the side and started posting on 3FC. Your energy is so contagious!
lariet I am also guilty of not exercising. Unlike you I am guilty of not having a reason not to exercise.
Betsy legalized pot. Everything about you just became a lot easier to understand.
Bllondy 40 pounds does sound like a nice goal. Here's to all of us dropping at least 40 pounds in the next 6 months and keeping them off.
Terra please look on line before you go out so you can make a wise choice. Sometimes only one pound keeps adding up until it is only a 10, 20, 30,... pound regain. Sorry, speaking from experience.
Have a peaceful day.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #59  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Betsy & Fiona ~ Thanks for explaining to me about trashed meant, I didnt know it had different meanings.

Donna ~ My walking is good. My foot is better now, Thanks for asking.

Ubee ~ Yeah thats true 1 pound could add up, I'll be sure to check online before I dine out if I'm able to do that, I dont think Chinese buffet's has nutrition information online though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up at 5 a.m. and I talked to my mom for awhile and then I got on the computer, I already ate my breakfast, Already let Clyde out twice, He hasnt ate yet though cause he usually doesnt like eating until noon or 1 pm, Its 10:03 a.m. now, I'm just watching t.v. while waiting for the mail, I'm also adding songs to my MP3 Player as well.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #60  

I'm having trouble seeing. There's something in my eye -- very bright and it's making me squint. Oh wait, it's just the sun. After a VERY rainy October (almost 7 inches of rain), I've forgotten what sun looks like. Becky will definitely have to come over so the doggies can have a romp.

Terra -- A Chinese buffet would be my undoing because I think I traveled with Marco Polo in a former life. How else to explain my love affair with Asian and Italian foods. (No, it's not the pot, Ubee!). If they have spring rolls which are made with fresh veggies and not fried (like egg rolls) opt for those. Skip all the sauces. Go for the sauteed veggies and meats that aren't coated in the cornstarch mixture and then fried. Oh wait, Ubee told you all this. I am living proof that a one pound gain becomes a......30 POUND gain. With that said, enjoy. It's always fun to do something out of the ordinary.

Ubee -- The movie outing sounds wonderful. What a great idea. I, three, love Wisconsin. The scenary, the people, the beers, the cheese. Now your winters I can live withoout. Hate to burst your bubble, but no pot in my house......WAY too expensive. Glad you're on a high from the weight loss effort. Probably a better high (in many ways!). Max the inflatable doll says thanks for allowing him to get out and about

Donna -- You name your body parts, too. Your's are nicer than mine as everything that hurts on me seems to start with a swear word. Great goal on the laps and reasonable. Chicken soup sounds so good right now. Enjoy the evening.

Fi -- So glad to read that you're back on schedule with Grace's visits. But so worried about your kitties. Is there a university or research vet clinic nearby that could take over their care. This has gone on since you got them. Just deal with what you can -- dieting and exercise as a "front of the brain" event can wait. Figured I'd give you a little chuckle from a medical perspective. Important things are front of the brain, routine things are back of the brain. Don't ask me where I got this idea from -- who knows! Hang in there.

Jane -- He's big. Very, very big. Comes to the top of my thigh when we're both standing, easily puts his paws on my shoulders when we're both standing, and weighs over 90 pounds. He is an absolute sweetheart, gentle as a lamb, and definitely thinks he's a lapdog. Love your attitude with getting back on the wagon and not freaking out. Let's commit to getting our weight regains off!

Lariet -- It is so hard to do exercise when you've got back issues. It's hard to do anything when you have back issues. From a scientific perspective, weight loss comes primarily from calorie reduction so you'll be fine.

Time for my weekly chat with my girlfriend from North Carolina. I'm going to finally pot up the geraniums before they all die for wintering over. Haven't figured out what to eat for dinner yet, but a stir fry with fresh veggies sounds good. Have a great day.
Closed Thread