Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #1  
~Erin~

S/C/G: see siggy :)

Height: 5'6

Default sodium....

Anyone else have a hard time staying under the recomended sodium intake? Its 8am and I am already at over half my recomended amount.
edoetsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #2  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

Yes I am having a hard time. I too am eating 1500 calories today and I noticed I was up 2 pounds today and I have been completely OP for 11 days now and I think it's the sodium.. Blah.. I cannot keep it under control with the food we have in the house. FatCat I think I will by PM you if you don't mind.
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #3  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm always way over on my sodium, and I wouldn't even know where to begin to cut it. But my bp is normal and the diet seems to be working so I'm not too too worried.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #4  
Becoming A Better Me

processed foods of all types r loaded with sodium! Stick as close as you can to whole foods and it gets alot easier. Also rinse any and all can veggies, beans and such for a couple minutes and it reduces the sodium by up to 40%!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #5  

That's great Jane. I don't think I wouldve given it another thought if I was so puffed out this morning and up 2 pounds ya know. Honestly I'm not even sure how it gets so high. Im so in the dark when it comes to sodium.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #6  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Keep in mind that conventional wisdom is sometimes wrong for some people. I was taught low cal, low sodium, low fat all my life, and I got to 450 pounds eating that way and was never full. It fed my addiction to food. Now that I'm eating full fat, whole foods, I feel better, I'm full quicker and my blood work is normal.

If you're puffy though and it's not hormones, you may have to look at dialing it back a little. Are you eating pre packaged stuff? That kind of thing is full of hidden salt.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #7  
~Erin~

S/C/G: see siggy :)

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerouscurvesahead View Post
processed foods of all types r loaded with sodium! Stick as close as you can to whole foods and it gets alot easier. Also rinse any and all can veggies, beans and such for a couple minutes and it reduces the sodium by up to 40%!
That is a great tip. Will do that for sure.
edoetsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #8  

No Jane. I rarely eat prepackaged food. I think because we went out to eat last night. Any salt will make me puffy. I just took a look at my food In my fitness pal and saw that I was over what they wanted me to be at. Like you I don't have high bp our any medical issues. Today I noticed the canned tomatoes I made soup with had allot of sodium. I guess I'm going to have to learn as I go. Thanks for the advice!

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #9  

I think above all, I look for foods and/or recipes that are low-sodium. Even the prepackaged Lean Cuisines can be ok if you just watch the sodium.

I tend to drink a ton of water to help flush it all out before it can get comfy in my ankles.
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #10  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

I'm with Kaitie: if I know I've had more salt than usual, i make myself do a couple extra glasses of water: seems to help keep the scales even from day to day, even when I go a bit overboard on the sodium.

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 01-12-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #11  
MaryGee

I have heart disease and it's imperative I eat low sodium foods. (That's what I get for not taking my blood pressure medication as prescribed) I stay away from soda, canned veggies and frozen meals and boxed prepared mixes. I look everything up on My-Calorie-Counter and Lose It to get the sodium content. Mrs. Dash seasonings really don't do it for me - but I do use herbs, etc. I started a log with my usual meals so now I'm pretty savy on what I can have - it's pretty automatic. Food prep takes a little longer because I'm actually preparing meals - not Stoeffers or Weight Watchers, etc.!

Mary
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote