Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #1  
<3

S/C/G: HW:350 CW:330 GW1:250 UGW:170

Height: 5'9

Default Do you think posting in forums has had a positive effect on your weight loss?

So erm... Hi? This is my first post and I'm kind of curious about the whole idea of weight loss forums. I was part of some a while back, but after a while they became more general discussion, and anything posted about weight/exercise/eating right was pretty much ignored. I'm kind of at my end on how to stay motivated enough to finally, well in the best way I can think to put it, kick obesity's ***. Every since I turned 18 everyone from doctors to family members have tried to shove weight loss surgery down my throat, and it something I want no part of. So my question to you guys is, have these (or weight loss forums in general) helped you stay motivated and reach you goals? I mean I know it's going to take a whole lot more than a website to finally get there, but I'm hoping that they can help, even if it's just a little bit.
This Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

to 3FC =)

3FC has changed so many of my ideas about sustainable, healthy eating, it's definitely on my shortlist of Tools for Success.

This is a weight loss / healthy eating / healthy movement site. There's a section for General Discussion, and that's where non-health well-being discussions are moved. So, while you'll see plenty of discussions on various topics, the vast majority are about food, different types of plans, exercise, dealing with bumps in the road, successes, etc.

The site is in no danger of being overrun by purely "general" topics!

As to whether it can help you, well that's up to you, and what you'd like to get out of it. There's plenty of information. Loads of helpful members. People who can give you a shoulder to lean on, or those who are best at giving a kick in the bum. There are specific chatting threads. There are people who, after a time, you get to know well and are really cheering them on in their goals. Some people enjoy getting on once in a while for a motivational nudge. Others just like to lurk and enjoy the environment.

You're more than welcome to post, read, and participate on a level that makes you comfortable.

I hope to see you around the boards on your journey!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

This is the only weight loss forum I've found that has helped me lose . The community as a whole is very knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and just plain supportive. Staying active and posting, or even just popping on here occasionally is a great way to keep you from quitting your plan. Challenges that go on here are amazing and the groups within the forum are close and great at keeping everyone motivated to stay on track.

Almost every single thread here is about weight loss so its in no danger of turning into a "General" Forum =D. SO hopefully you will stick around really see what its like

And I have to commend you on not caving for weightloss surgery and trying to do it on your own first. I've known people who jump at the chance because they see it as an easy way out,(even if its not) without even trying to lose another way first

Welcome to 3FatChicks

Last edited by baker23; 02-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Yes! (and Welcome!)
Coming here regularly was a huge part in how I was able to lose approximately 65 lbs a few years ago. Being able to share one's daily struggles and successes with a community full of people who know exactly what you're going through... it's an incredible tool for the massive struggle that is weight loss.
Between this forum and a few other weight loss forums I've looked through, 3fatchicks is by far the one full of the most supportive, knowledgeable, and kind members I've come across. I'm sure it's been a great and positive force for most of the success stories posted here.
With that said, I certainly think you've come to the right place!
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #5  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Yes, 3FC has been very helpful to me. It has allowed me to share my weight/diet issues with people in the same boat. People here have embraced me and my diet talk...whereas the people in my real life who aren't dieting don't want to hear about it and/or can't fully understand it, even if they themselves need to lose some weight. Countless times I've come here to ask for help and yes even boast about my successes and, conversely, to offer help and advice when I can, or a sympathetic understanding shoulder because I've been there, done that, and totally get it.

Its a wonderful forum with some truly inspiring and amazing people.

I've joined a few challenges over the past 6 months, and I learned that the weekly weigh in ones aren't exactly my cup of tea, so I now join, when I do, the kind that are goal oriented. That is where we can motivate each other, and if we slide backwards, we encourage each other.

You can "research" every diet here as well. If what you're doing isn't working for you as you believe it should, you can post and get feedback on something that might suit you better. Had it not been for 3FC, I'd never have started counting calories and switched from weight watchers. It was the best thing I did....cuz now I'm down 23 pounds since July -- and 19 of that is by counting calories. 30 pounds in about 9 months (I generally say a year cuz its easier) is wonderful, and I'll take it, especially since I was willy-nilly watching what I ate for 6 months before I got serious.

Anyhow, the people in my real life become bored with my diet and my success....and my struggles and my tribulations. They will never understand. The people here....they know....they get it....they listen...they offer help...and thank goodness.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I find 3fc a great motivational tool as well as an educational tool. In addition I have many friends here that I have never met. Post around, check the different forums until you find the place where you are comfortable. You can post anywhere you want.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #7  
Warrior Princess

S/C/G: 355/299/175

Height: 5'9"

Without a doubt. In the past, when I've succeeded, I've had a combination of things working - eating right, exercising, and some kind of support. 3FC has kept me honest and accountable, and it's a great place to air out your triumphs as well as struggles (without driving friends, family, and significant others crazy).

Last time I tried to lose weight a few months ago, when I messed up and started avoiding 3FC, I knew it was over. This time I've promised myself to stay and check in no matter what. You really need that extra bit of support, as losing weight and changing your life is one of the hardest things in the world.

Last edited by Bridget Jones; 02-04-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Bridget Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

I Know I would have gained back all the weight I lost without my friends here to support me or kick my tail when I need it. Everyone is awesome and truly care about each other!! I have made friends here that I feel I can open up. I cant imagine my weight loss journey without them.I also know I can count on them for support whether it be weight loss or what ever is going on in my life at the time. We really truly care about each other!!
Hope you join us on a thread and give us a chance to get to know you.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #9  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

with out a doubt 3fc is a huge motivational factor in my life. I tried to lose weight about 2 years ago and when I died I lost 40 lbs and it was with the help of the people here in 3fc.. when I come and post everyday it keeps me motivated when I ignore it and don't participate I know I'm going off track and that is exactly what happened and guess what I gained all my weight back and some I think I was ashamed of falling off the wagon and stayed gone even longer.. this time it's my goal to check in at least every day help some one where I can and get good advice for myself
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Not sure I can add anything to the above posts - other than YES. People in my real life don't understand life at 350 lbs - a fear of flying that has nothing to do with anything other than fitting in the seat, what it is to not be able to do a push up, etc. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I would not have the success I have had without 3FC.

Whether it's a kick in the backside when I need it or a virtual hug - there are people here who understand.

Look around and see where you are most comfortable - then keep posting.

BTW - Welcome!
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #11  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

I joined 3FC back in December, and I encourage you to jump in and take advantage of all the great people and advice.

Before 3FC my average time in any weight loss program was 3 weeks (with the exception of joining WW).

3FC gives me accountability, encouragement and advice. Like Bridget Jones said, no one else in my life wants to be bored with this stuff.

Please stick around and be encouraged. You won't regret it.

WELCOME ABOARD!
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #12  
<3

S/C/G: HW:350 CW:330 GW1:250 UGW:170

Height: 5'9

Thanks to everyone who replied back, this seems like such I lovely place, and I defiantly plan on sticking around. (:
This Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I probably would have lost weight without 3fc, but here I learned many tricks and tools that have helped me when I started struggling. I think I've maintained many good habits because of it.

AND, so so so many times when it seems that what I'm doing or feeling is weird or abnormal, I learn that many other people are the same way. That's helped my sanity over the years.

Plus, it's been fabulous to have other people to talk to about this stuff!

Welcome!!!! Join in wherever you feel comfortable.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #14  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

I come here every single day. Even if I don't post. Sometimes I look through the goal posts lots of times, or read inspiring threads, and most of the time I post. But I'm always on here. It's good to be able to talk to people that actual get it. People who aren't overweight and have never been do not know how hard it is to lose weight. They think it's as simple as turning off a switch to stop overeating and it really isn't. It takes remolding yourself, it takes struggle, and it takes a lot of hard work. And people here really get that and they're endearingly supportive. I plan on being on here throughout my weight loss and even after. It's such a great place.
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 154/148/135

Height: 5' 4"

I came here when I was losing 4 years ago. I stayed for the duration of my year long weight loss. I know it looks like I'm a new member but technically I'm not. I learned a lot while I was here but mostly I came because doing so helped me remembered to stay focused on my goals. It helped me to remember where I was going, why and what I had to do to get there. It helped me develop a realistic plan. I kept it off for another 3 years quite easily because I had developed habits that stayed. This time around, some of those same habits are still there! The reason I am back is because I had a sudden lifestyle change and didn't pay attention and voila I've gained 20lbs. Though many many of the habits have remained, the one that came back that did me in is related to out of control chocolate cravings. I can handle a little bit once it gets in control, but I was eating 15-30 pieces a day! No wonder! Add that and change in movements, well... I know exactly how I got here and I know what I need to do to get back in shape. Does this forum help me? Absolutely. Thanks to this forum I have developed some sustainable habits, have developed an understanding of how to lose and maintain, and it gives me a place to go to remind myself what I'm doing. If not, it's easy to forget and get sidetracked, especially during the harder stage of losing and during plateau times.
kcoftx is offline   Reply With Quote