Old 10-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #16  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Well, I don't mean to make light, and you have my sympathy, but years ago there was a lady comic who told a story about being an expert baker and hostess and a party that she held for which she had prepared a lot of desserts. There were a lot of desserts left over, one being a cheesecake. 1/2 a cheesecake to be exact.

All the next day, she kept having little slivers of cheesecake. She said to herself "just one more" which was another and another until she had eaten the whole thing. That afternoon, her husband called and said he'd been dreaming of that cheesecake all day long and was excited to have a piece after dinner. She panicked. She couldn't tell him she'd eaten an entire half of a cheesecake. So, she baked another--and ate half!!!!! When he got home, he was none the wiser.

We all fall off the wagon for various reasons. You've shared your journey and your resolve to do better. Nope, we're not perfect.

Good luck in the next leg of your journey.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 334/319.2/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Like everyone said, it's great you are back in action and getting back on track. What concerns me though, is the fact you are making pies to begin with. I know you said that you were going to share it...BUT, the fact that you ate the whole thing is a sign to me that maybe you should avoid having those thing in your house to begin with, (at this time). Yes, we all stumble, yes we all have bad days, but one way to keep on track is to limit temptation. I know, I know, this is a life style change, there are no rules, there is no time limit...yada, yada, but still, morbid obesity kills, and even though your are "trying", every day you stay morbidly obese, is another day of not living up to your optimal health. You have the right to be lean and healthy, and every day you eat a whole pie you are robbing yourself of a pain free life.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now, but I did what to throw that your way. I'm by no means perfect, and I stumble lots of times, but I have have also been "super-morbidly-obese" as well, and it...just sucks. Being fit is WAY better than me sitting around chowing down on an entire pie. Been there, done that...and well, it's not so great.
Surely I appreciate your response (mostly after you stepped of your soap box) but I should let you know that you inaccurately assumed that I baked the pie in the first place. I didn't. It was given to me by a friend. Also, your advice about limiting temptation is duly noted though, as explained in the post, my pie episode and time away from the gym had little to do with that.

Overeating is overeating - regardless of whether the pie was eaten slice by slice, forkful by forkful or the "sitting around chowing down" method. I also believe that being fit is WAY better than overeating...which is why I made my way back to the gym.

Morbid obesity does more than kill the body - it kills the spirit too. That's what my post was about. If the fear of being super-morbidly obese was the only thing that's needed to get folks to adopt healthier lifestyles, then this forum wouldn't exist.

Congratulations on your two years of maintenance and best of the luck with the rest of your journey.
acdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 334/319.2/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
Well, I don't mean to make light, and you have my sympathy, but years ago there was a lady comic who told a story about being an expert baker and hostess and a party that she held for which she had prepared a lot of desserts. There were a lot of desserts left over, one being a cheesecake. 1/2 a cheesecake to be exact.

All the next day, she kept having little slivers of cheesecake. She said to herself "just one more" which was another and another until she had eaten the whole thing. That afternoon, her husband called and said he'd been dreaming of that cheesecake all day long and was excited to have a piece after dinner. She panicked. She couldn't tell him she'd eaten an entire half of a cheesecake. So, she baked another--and ate half!!!!! When he got home, he was none the wiser.

We all fall off the wagon for various reasons. You've shared your journey and your resolve to do better. Nope, we're not perfect.

Good luck in the next leg of your journey.
Sympathy not needed.

I guess that comic and I have something in common I wonder if Pie-Eaters Anonymous exists...

Thanks and good luck to you too.

Last edited by acdub; 10-08-2011 at 10:41 PM.
acdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 319/307/170

Height: 5'7"

pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on the horse. pie happens.
phonymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I don't have anything to add except to also offer congratulations on recognizing what has to be changed and then making the change. Remember - even thin, healthy people have off days. It's part of life. Turning it around is the important thing, and you did that. Keep up the great attitude and the rest will fall into place.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

i've eaten a whole cookie cake, a whole pizza, a whole half gallon of ice cream, etc etc. etc. i haven't done any of that kind of bingeing in a long time but i definitely agree with you that sometimes it just happens. you have to just move on. good for you!
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote