Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #1  

Default Here I am..again

Hi all. Im back, again for what seems like the hundredth time.

Today is different and here's why. I joined a gym today. Not only did I join the gym, I went to a water aerobics class for "women of size" It was wonderful, I feel great and tomorrow I am going to try Zumba for the first time.

I always put everyone before myself, starting today I am putting myself first for one hour a day. If I'm not healthy, who will take care of my family?

Can anyone suggest how to start weight loss and eating healthy for the family? We are typical go out to eat almost every night people. I don't know how to cook, so please take pity on me!!
Neast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

way to go!!!!

i too consider my time at the gym the ONE part of the day where i focus solely on me with no interruptions

its late and i'm getting up at 5:30 a.m. so i hope others will chime in on the healthy eating tips...just wanted to pop in and say way to go!!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I started very simply...I cut out regular soda. I worked out at home maybe twice a week with videos that are available for streaming on Netflix.
As far as eating out every day, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you make the right choices. Try to avoid pasta, bread, and other starches. Sign up for something like myfitnesspal. It helps you track your calories that you eat, as well as the ones you burn. It also has A LOT of foods in the database, so chances are if you eat it, you'll find the calories on there. I'm guessing that you eat breakfast and lunch at home, so choose a cereal like Special K, corn flakes, etc, and buy Lean Cuisine meals for lunch.

Don't worry, you'll get it. It won't be easy, but I'm sure you can do it.
I am guilty of quitting when it wasn't easy anymore. For the first 3 months, the weight just fell off, but when it quit falling off, I quit trying so hard. Thankfully I didn't put any of the weight back on. I have been going to the gym for about 3 weeks, and have lost all of 3 pounds, but I can see changes in the mirror. Don't get discouraged. If you try hard enough, it will happen. Best of luck to you!
rachel1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

Hi, Neast!

I am working on making sure that my family is eating healthier as well. I am trying to avoid the extreme "Mom's on another health kick" back-and-forth that sometimes has happened around here. I don't know how old your kids are, but mine really, really like fruit, for example.

There are lots of super simple, crockpot recipes to help available both online generally and at 3FC. There are also lots of easy substitutions to make recipes healthier. I don't know if your kids are struggling with weight or you're just looking to help prevent that from happening, but it's probably best to be gradual and simply stop buying (as many) chips and cookies (if you do buy them now) and add kid-friendly, no-fuss raw fruits and veggies.

You can also make good, well-informed choices at most restaurants. It just takes some work, and you may meet with some resistance from kids who are used to ordering without restraint. But it can be done. With education, patience, and faith. And a resolve that you can do move forward with your goals even if they're not 100% compliant with your goals for them.

Good luck!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote