Old 09-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335 / ticker / 220

Height: 6'0

Default Messed my day up. Info wanted.

Hey,

So I'm feeling incredibly guilty about what I ate today...

I had 3 fiber bars and a lean cuisine all the way upto 5PM.. (total of 550 calories). I was feeling full and figured I would finish my day off with a nice chicken salad and end the day with 1200ish calories, thus making me lose some weight for the day.

Well, once I arrived home, my girlfriend was pressuring me to order us supper... Long story short, I ended up eating half a pizza from dominos and a chocolate lava desert. (total of approx. 1950 calories for that meal alone).

Like I said, I now feel incredibly guilty and feel like I messed up my day. Now at my weight, I should be able to maintain my weight by eating less than 2800, which I still did (2500 total for the day).

I was wondering 2 things:

1- How do you deal with it when you've ruined a perfectly great opportunity to lose weight?

2- I've been eating about 1500-1600 calories for over a month now. I imagine that my metabolism may have adapted a little to that amount of calories in my system, would that mean that eating 2500 calories, though under my maintain limit, would actually make me gain weight?

Cheers,
plangevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/307/170

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by plangevin View Post
1- How do you deal with it when you've ruined a perfectly great opportunity to lose weight?
Take it one game at a time. Shake it off, forget about it, start fresh tomorrow! That's what I plan to do, anyway - getting dinner with my mother and sister KILLED my plan today!
phonymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

I regroup and start back on track as soon as I can. Since you went off track at dinner, then that would start tomorrow with your first meal. I also tend to plan my meals a little bit in advance so I know what I can and can't have for the day. I know it's hard when someone pressures you to get something like take out which is high calorie, but next time maybe try to order just enough for her or just enough that you can have a slice or two and leave it at that.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You didn't mess anything up. Even if you didn't burn a deficit, you postponed reaching goal by one day. In the scheme of things, is one day really worth beating yourself over.

Even if you ate 2500 calories on top of your maintenance calories, that isn't even one pound - but you didn't eat 2500 calories on top of your maintenance calories, you didn't even eat 2500 calories over your daily budget.

If your target is 1500, that means you ate 1000 calories over budget - that doesn't mean you necessarily gain for the day - what it does mean is that thyis week, you're going to going to lose 4.5 ounces less than you would have, if you had come in on budget.

You're going to get upset over 4.5 ounces less weight loss this week? In the scheme of things are 4.5 ounces worth feeling badly about. That's not even 1/3 of a pound.

Now if you decide that you've blown it, so you might as well keep eating - that is going to make it harder - but even that wouldn't be tragedy. You've got to put it into perspective.

4.5 ounces less weight loss this week. That's all it is (at worst. It's also possible that your metabolism might even burn some or all of the extra calories, just because that sometimes that seems to happen. ).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

1) I never "ruin" a perfectly good opportunity to lose weight. That's not to say I never make a mistake, but I'll explain.

Some days it's easy. Some days I just follow my plan, I eat healthfully, and not too much. I exercise briskly, and the world is shining and bright.

Some days it's not easy. Some days that extra serving of delicious cheese called to me and I ate too much of it (or two or three extra servings ). Some days I go for my walk, but I wasn't really working myself as hard as I could've.

But, so what? I've got to look at this journey one step at a time, and compare what I do each day to what I've done BEFORE I cared about what I ate.

Did I make any improvements? Maybe I did have an extra serving of that really delicious, expensive cheese, but so what? Before I cared about what I ate, I would've eaten the whole block.

But, what if I did eat the whole block? First of all, I'd be in for a world of pain in a day, but even if I did eat that whole block... so what? The very next moment I have the opportunity to get back on plan. I do it. I get back on plan.

This is not a call to say that we should just eat whatever, but rather that mistakes are going to happen. Every day, too! Little mistakes, big mistakes. We all make them. We just have to assess how we can do better in the future, get back to plan, and aim to improve as we go along.

You didn't ruin anything. You just ate a little more than you wanted to. No big deal. Put it behind you. Plan out your strategy better for next time.

2) While the human body is an awe-inspiring organic machine... it does not behave like a computer. It is not perfect.

We cannot put x number of calories in and always expect to lose x pounds.

Even if we ate exactly the same thing day in and day out, some mornings we'd lose, some mornings we'd stay the same, and others we'd gain.

That means that even if we eat differently each day... we're going to have the same thing happen. Some days lose, some days maintain, some days gain. It's the natural order of things.

Add to this the fact that scales cannot accurately tell you how much body fat you have. For example, if someone stepped on the scale to see they magically lost 10 pounds, they might initially be thrilled. Until they find out they lost 10 pounds of muscle, not fat. They'd be horrified.

If you eat under your maintenance level... you will not gain fat. However! You might gain water weight, and you might have heavy food traveling through your digestive system so you may gain weight on the scale. You will not have gained fat.

There is a very important distinction between weight loss and fat loss, and it's important to learn it early on so that we can accurately understand why the scale shows what it shows. Why it might have gone up even when we stay on plan, and why it might have gone down even if we ate off plan.

It's a simple tool. It only knows weight. Which, mind you, is helpful! But, it's not a 100% accurate measure of fat loss each week.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 335 / ticker / 220

Height: 6'0

Hello again !

Wow, great responses ! I don't feel so bad anymore lol. I guess I may have overreacted due to being 301.5 and so close to my first weight loss goal (299). Time to simply get back on track and learn from this experience. Next time I feel pressure to order and cave in, I'll be sure to order enough for her and perhaps have a few bites if I am having problems resisting !

Before going to bed, I weighed in at 304.6... This morning, I awoke at 301.8 and I still have the pizza in my system! A few days on being back on track and once that pizza passes through, I should be obtaining my first goal, which is definitely exciting !

Anyway, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. You've been quite helpful and encouraging!

Cheers :-)
plangevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #7  
Divine

S/C/G: 375/290/175

Height: 5 foot 0 inches

I knew someone would help you feel better. Its new day!!! Always look forward to the next day and better way.

Lynn
lynnie923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #8  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

and don't forget to drink lots and lots of water!
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 375/187/167

I would imagine any gain mostly would be fluid retention from sodium. I really wouldnt worry too much...accept your not perfect...none of us are...and that you will go off track at times....as long as you get back on track the journey continues.
kkazz123 is offline   Reply With Quote