Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #1  

Default I'm worried

Hi. I have a question concerning excess skin after major weight loss. I'm in my 40's so basically when I do lose this weight, my skin is not going to bounce back. I know this already (it's a fact for me anyway). So has anyone had excess skin removed or plan on having it done? Has anyone done any research on the best place to get it done? This really worries me. I am constantly online trying to find a good surgeon, but haven't yet. Would love any information you have concerning this. Thanks.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

This actually gets asked often! Truthfully, we don't know what our bodies are going to look like as we get closer to goal.

Some people, regardless of age, are going to have extra skin. Some people aren't going to have much to worry about.

If you want more information, check out this section of 3FC: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...ight-loss-219/

Body Image & Issues After Weight Loss ^^^

Truthfully, though, that's a long, long, long... YEARS long time away for me. Even then, I'm going to have to wait a good year after maintenance starts to determine how much skin "bounces back" to even start thinking about whether or not to "do" something about the excess.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi there.

A few days ago someone had sent me private message asking me about loose skin and what I did about it. Since you and I are around the same age, I thought I would send you an excert of what I replied to her.

When I started my weight loss I was 42 years old and I am now 45. When it was all said and done, my excess skin wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I guess I watch too many weightloss/plastic surgery shows on TV, but my skin wasn't hanging down to my knees like many of the people on those shows. Originally I felt as if I would get a boob job/ tummy tuck when I reached goal. Then I read horror stories of people jumping into reconstructive surgery and then gaining all their weight back. Since I have a history of Y0-yo dieting, I then decided that I would not even look into surgery until I had kept my entire weightloss off for one year.

During the first year of maintaince things improved though. With regular excercise, (nothing extreme) and good healthy eating habits my skin showed good signs of improvement. I then decided I would give it another year. So here I am approaching my 2 year maintaince anniversary and feeling pretty good about about how things improved on their own.

I'm guessing since the old biological clock is ticking I probably won't see much more skin improvement, but I have to admit, that staying the same weight for 2 years has helped my skin more than I could have ever imagined. I don't think I've ever been the same weight for more than 2 months in my life before now.

Oh it would be great to have a face lift, boob job and a tummy tuck but probably what I would like more than anything is to have my arm "flaps" remove. (I've read that is one of the most "tricky" surgeries of them all). LOL So, anyway, I haven't done any of it, and unless some rich Doctor offers to do it for free, I probably won't. I guess I'm learning the art of "enhancement" clothes shopping. Thank the good Lord for support garments!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-16-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #4  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/178

Height: 5'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Hi there.

A few days ago someone had sent me private message asking me about loose skin and what I did about it. Since you and I are around the same age, I thought I would send you an excert of what I replied to her.

When I started my weight loss I was 42 years old and I am now 45. When it was all said and done, my excess skin wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I guess I watch too many weightloss/plastic surgery shows on TV, but my skin wasn't hanging down to my knees like many of the people on those shows. Originally I felt as if I would get a boob job/ tummy tuck when I reached goal. Then I read horror stories of people jumping into reconstructive surgery and then gaining all their weight back. Since I have a history of Y0-yo dieting, I then decided that I would not even look into surgery until I had kept my entire weightloss off for one year.

During the first year of maintaince things improved though. With regular excercise, (nothing extreme) and good healthy eating habits my skin showed good signs of improvement. I then decided I would give it another year. So here I am approaching my 2 year maintaince anniversary and feeling pretty good about about how things improved on their own.

I'm guessing since the old biological clock is ticking I probably won't see much more skin improvement, but I have to admit, that staying the same weight for 2 years has helped my skin more than I could have ever imagined. I don't think I've ever been the same weight for more than 2 months in my life before now.

Oh it would be great to have a face lift, boob job and a tummy tuck but probably what I would like more than anything is to have my arm "flaps" remove. (I've read that is one of the most "tricky" surgeries of them all). LOL So, anyway, I haven't done any of it, and unless some rich Doctor offers to do it for free, I probably won't. I guess I'm learning the art of "enhancement" clothes shopping. Thank the good Lord for support garments!
This is how I feel exactly! Right down to the area's and order I would consider "fixing" them in. This is the first summer I have braved going sleeveless and I have come to the realization that my bat wings aren't going anywhere and I have learned to just put them out there and let them be!
OrganizedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I used to worry about that a lot, but to be honest, having some loose skin is a LOT better than all that fat!! Like Lori Bell, things weren't nearly as bad as I thought it would be!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote