Old 01-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 349/T/180

Height: 5'8

Default Treadmill weight limits

I have decided that I really am ready and want to buy a treadmill, however I noticed that there is a weight limit on them. The largest one I could find that is of good quality and affordable for me, is 325 lbs. There are several that have weight limits of 300 lbs, which are also of good quality but a little less money...honestly I want to spend less.
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone ignore the weight limits? I really want to purchase one, but if my weight is going to break it, I might need to wait.
The gym is not an option for me at this point...I am in no way ready to do that, hopefully someday, but I know I can't go now.
KTFaith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #2  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

hi KT....i don't know the answer to your question...however...what a great motivator...if you purchased it NOW...and then worked your way to the weight limit!! What a GREAT feeling it would be then...just to step on it ...and walk for the first time!! I say invest in it....you are investing in YOU!!

btw...if you ever can find the courage...maybe you can try a family fitness gym....not like those other gyms....u know the ones...i am so glad i am going...it IS hard sometimes....sometimes it takes me 10 mins sitting in the car to get myself to go in....sometimes....i hesitate in the changing room....before i go out, especially on the way to the pool....sometimes....i wait at the door to the aerobics room...which stays closed....5 mins or more, trying to get the courage to GO IN....but i will say this, I HAVE NEVER LEFT FEELING ASHAMED...I HAVE ALWAYS WALKED OUT FEELING PRIDE!!

you CAN do this!!! i just know you can!!
hugssssssssss
susan

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 01-08-2011 at 07:19 PM.
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

The world is your treadmill! Streets don't have weight limits, just start walking.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you can find another way to exercise until you get to 300 lbs. A new treadmill would (for me) be a terrific reward for working so hard up to that point. Personally, I wouldn't ignore the weight limits because it is a large amount of money, and breaking it bc of ignoring the limit would not be covered under the warranty. I just wouldn't want to take this chance.

When I couldn't afford a gym membership, I walked the track at a local high school, and sometimes at the park. I also used videos for when I felt too self-conscious to exercise outside, or for bad weather. Netflix has a great variety. Good luck with whatever you decide, and whatever you do, don't give up!
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #5  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

I thought the same thing when i first looked at tread mills, there was no way one would of held up when i was 400 lbs, so i had to start walking outside, at first i could barely do 2 blocks but over time with determination i have settled on around 8.5 KM per day, "everyday" regardless of the weather, i have walked in blistering heat / freezing rain / wind storms /snow blizzards / ice and foot deep snow / -35 wind chill, nothing will stop me but me and i won't allow that to happen.

Strangely i've had many people stop and encourage me ( i walk the same walk every day at around the same time ) , they stop and say hi, tell me i am an inspiration to them, one woman said i waddled when i started, pretty embarrasing but i don't care what anyone thinks but me anymore, i probably look like a clown giving it everything i've got but i am happy that i can now.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 349/T/180

Thank you so much for all of your input...I think that you are all right and I should just start walking outside. It is my own issues that I have to learn to deal with and exercising in public is one of them. I am very self conscious about my size and feel like everyone will be watching me with disgust as I huff and puff down the block. But, I have to do it and remember why it is so important for me. What may be more embarrassing for me is that I have been paying for a gym membership for the last five years and have not gone once. It is a family membership and my daughter goes, but still I am ashamed of myself.
Oh well, maybe I will use the treadmill as an incentive and who knows, maybe I won't want it then because I will be walking around my neighborhood.
I just have to keep telling myself I can do it!!!
KTFaith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFaith05 View Post
Thank you so much for all of your input...I think that you are all right and I should just start walking outside. It is my own issues that I have to learn to deal with and exercising in public is one of them. I am very self conscious about my size and feel like everyone will be watching me with disgust as I huff and puff down the block. But, I have to do it and remember why it is so important for me. What may be more embarrassing for me is that I have been paying for a gym membership for the last five years and have not gone once. It is a family membership and my daughter goes, but still I am ashamed of myself.
Oh well, maybe I will use the treadmill as an incentive and who knows, maybe I won't want it then because I will be walking around my neighborhood.
I just have to keep telling myself I can do it!!!
I walk in the evenings after dark. I wear a reflective vest and carry a flashlight so cars can see me. If you live in a safe neighborhood, that might be an option (plus, in the summer it's much cooler.)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFaith05 View Post
I am very self conscious about my size and feel like everyone will be watching me with disgust as I huff and puff down the block.
I hear you on this one, but I've got to tell you that more people will see you and think "good for her." And the people who think otherwise are the ones who are too lazy or scared to do it themselves.

I used to be a self-loathing fat chick, to the point that when I saw anyone exercising I would be disgusted... "why bother, why try, and why put yourself through that discomfort?" is what I thought. Red faces grossed me out, sweat grossed me out, and I was perfectly happy to stay scared and fat on the comfort of my couch. Now that I am on this path myself I commend anyone who gets out and gets moving, and take it as further motivation for myself!

You can totally do this, and just remember that the first step is always the hardest!
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

We bought a treadmill and I think it had a weight limit of 250 pounds. Bought it and it sat around... by the time I wanted to use it, I was well above the limit. I waited until I was less than 10% over the limit and started using it. I wasn't going to be running on it. It was fine. But I was nervous about it at first. My husband assured me that while the limits are there for a reason, there are tolerances above that it can handle.

Hope that makes sense!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
My husband assured me that while the limits are there for a reason, there are tolerances above that it can handle.
That's a good point. For liability reasons, they are probably going to publish a weight limit that is below what they know the machine can actually handle.
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

That being said, I was always nervous on it until I was down to it's limit!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 346/333/250

Height: 5'10

I have a treadmill that has a limit of about 250/300. I topped at 346 and I still used it. True, you can tell that sometimes it wants you to get your fat butt off of it, but I keep going. As long as you pick your feet up and move with it, and not just drag around on it, you will be fine.
shutterbug35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Why don't you wait awhile to buy one until you get down to your weight limit? Like some of the other posters, I would try the free or low cost method first. Actually, I did. I know that in January something that you can do indoors sounds very appealing. I use Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs and they have really helped me.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I second time2lose's recommendation! I love the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Those DVDs were how I lost weight initially. I also bought a treadmill, (which I like in terms of keeping track and knowing how you are doing and improving on it.) But I would still do the DVDs because I find them so relaxing I love to hear Leslie talk, she inspires me! I moved and don't have a TV now (nor treadmill) so no more Leslie but now I go the gym almost daily.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 340/190/150

Height: 5'11"

Oh my god, weight limits on the decent priced machines are always like, 250 or less. Really, people? What is the point? I am a college student so I can barely afford gas money, much less $500 to spend on an elliptical with a weight capacity of over 300lbs. It blows. Walking outside is a no no when you attend a nice campus in a a pretty neighborhood, unfortunately inhabited by a ton of crazies who make the area dangerous to be out in. That's why I need to get a treadmill or another workout machine... I just wish the world didn't make being healthy cost so much.
Alexis On A Mission is offline   Reply With Quote