Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

I was wondering about that. . . I used to do elliptical when I was in high school and it felt really choppy to me. My husband tried it and said that he thinks we are too tall for it or our legs are too long for it because he has the same problem I do. It doesn't feel like my legs are gliding, rather it feels like they are choppily moving back and forth. This could very possibly just be because I have no grace, and that I have no coordination! hehe
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #17  
Reformed Chef

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/?

Height: 5'6"

It could be the machine. There are two different kinds at my rec center and one is horrid. The length of the "arms" you stand on is short. So they go in a choppy circle to me. The one I use is really a long machine and the things you step on move in a better way for me. It also has the moving things on top that you hang on to.
AmandaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Do what you love without appologies, if you are capable then do it. At a gym most people will be focused in on themselves. Just dress comfy, bring your music, and just focus on enjoying yourself while getting excercise.

It was intimidating going to my first few step aerobics classes but I love it now. I can't do everything they do but I keep at it. Keep moving and... it works for me.

Don't let what you THINK other people are thinking stop you from doing something you love.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #19  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

try strapping skates on your feet when you are 320 lbs. i started doing roller derby about 5 months ago. its the best decision i ever made. most people dont suck and are more worried about what they are doing than what you are doing. and if someone really feels the need to comment, feel sorry for them that thier life would be that small that they could be so cruel. its your life. dont let anyone get in the way of what you want to do. i feel like i would be a runner if i didnt have all this extra weight, and even when im skating im the slowest person. but im doing it. im out there, every week doing everything i can. and everyone on my team cheers me on. it keeps me going.
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 337/309/137

Height: 5'4

I just want to say that I am totally inspired by Princess... skating. I can't even begin to imagine myself skating. If we could only all have your confidence!
JRMIABH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 294/235.8/140

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm going to give another shout out for YMCA. I've belonged to fancy, expensive gyms and I was always the largest person there. It made me feel terribly self-conscious, but I never feel that way at the Y. Of course, some people have assumed that my thin, fit hubby is my trainer, but for the most part everyone's doing their own thing. And there's all types of people at the Y, from serious body builders, to big girls and boys like me, to senior citizens getting their walking in. I love it there and I don't ever feel out of place. I was almost 300 pounds when I started going there, and the machines are built to withstand lots more weight than that.

Good luck to you! And remember, no matter what people think you are making a change. Those who can't or won't support you will never change and aren't worthy of your concern!
KathleanAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #22  
Food Can Eat Me =p

S/C/G: 345/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I started walking/jogging/running (in spurts) outside a couple weeks ago and I love it. I have a route around my apartment complex and I usually go when it's dark and cold (I hate cold but I get warmed up quick!). Nobody bothers me and I just do what I do. Don't let fear of what other people think stop you.
Ive Had Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 353/See Ticker/155

Height: 6'1"

I say if you feel great when you run. Then you should just go for it. Trust me people aren't looking at you as much as you think. I am heavier than you and I love to run. I didn't do it for a very long time because I was afraid. But once I started running the only feedback I received was positive. You need to do what make you happy!
DesiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #24  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

i agree with everyone here...just pop some earphones in with your favorite music and RUN RUN RUN!!!! i went today for the very first time EVER to a ZUMBA class. i have a gf in florida who has gone on and on about it for 4 months...as i watched her lose 88 pounds i never got moving....until today!

i won't lie...when i walked in, EVERYONE LOOKED...and i felt like turning around and RUNNING out. but i didn't. i somehow managed to advert my eyes from everyone and get to the back corner. i stood and watched for the first 15 mins. thinking, omg...i can't do this...its so fast, they all know the steps and i don't and i am soooooooooo fat and honestly, no one was even half as heavy as i am...they were all mostly tiny, one medium, and one man (i was impressed as he was older than me and never missed a beat)

there was one young girl who was in the back, and she said oh come on, try....if i can do it you can do it....and i was like, no thank you, i'll just watch. another song ended...and then another...and soon i was feeling REGRET that i wasn't even trying. everyone was laughing and hollering and making it look SOOOO easy!! still i refused ot budge form my corner. a few more songs and another lady approached me and said, come on, we all had to start someplace...some of us have been coming for 2 years now, and she herself has lost 50 pounds zumba'ing...still i thanked her kindly but couldn't get the nerve to do it.

then...another song...i noticed i was having a hard time standing still...i wanted to move...I WANTED TO DANCE!! i love music and i love dancing...why was i letting a little fat get in my way...ok a LOT of fat...but so what??? this is a new year, and a new me!!!

so i tried a few steps...i was off beat....missed over half the moves...felt like a dancing whale....i could feel my face beet red...and not from the work out, i was embarrassed....but then something happened, and i don't know why, how, or exactly when...but at one point, i started laughing...and suddenly i came to the realization that me...this large very round, bouncy, jiggly, fat chic was ZUMBA'ing with the rest of them and i have to say i can't ever remember feeling so LIBERATED!!!! it was the best feeling. i didn't finish the entire hour long class. whew...but i did managed to do several songs. i slowly left...before the class was over, smiling as i went out the door, feeling like a new woman....and as i was going out the door i heard several ladies shouting....hey....you did great...please come back....we just love to have fun!! i just waved over my head...back to them...because i didn't want them to see my tears of joy! i WILL be back for more zumba!!

so i say to you....GO RUN....and liberate yourself....you will never regret it!!!! and like someone else said, you have no idea how YOUR RUNNING might inspire many others...who are depending on YOU to have the courage to make that first step, so they can run too!!

please keep us posted as i can't wait to hear how you felt running and running and running!!! run smiling!! run with your head held high!! RUN PROUD!! JUST RUN!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #25  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 327.6/321.8/150

Height: 5'7"

I have nothing but 100% agreement with everything everyone has said here...if running is what makes you feel really great, then do it, and the rest of the world can just kiss off! Look at it this way...1. Someone who is out there feeling just like you might see you and think "if she can do it, I can too!"
and 2. If you just get out there and get started, it won't be long before you're NOT a 320-lb. runner. But that won't change until you make it happen!

One of my best friends weighed 321 lbs when she started running a few months ago. She just did her most recent 5k this morning, and has lost 60 lbs! So you've got nothing but benefits ahead for you...best of luck! Let us know how it goes!!
lavieboheme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #26  

i lost weight running too. i didnt even intend to??? i started walking about 10 min. i was working out of town all the time and eating out. i said if i don't do something, i'm gonna be alot bigger(( so i started walking after dinner, just the 10 min, then up hills, then jogging some and walking. i eventually worked up the time and distance and kept it up for a good while. however, i did a pretty good injury to my back(( i wasn't even wearing running shoes. so, run, but definitely get proper running shoes. and, running is hard on your insides. your core muscles need to be really strong to hold everything in place when you are doing something like running. i learned the hard way. when you get an injury, you can't do the things that will make your body lose weight easier, so be verryyy careful.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I definitely know that feeling - not about running because I'm not sure I could run if a serial killer were after me - but just about exercising in general. But. slap on the headphones, crank up the music and go for it! Seriously. If you can run and that's what makes you happy then go for it girl!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Height: 5'3"

I just wanted to chime in here. I know what you mean about being self-conscious. I was, too. Still am somewhat. But I made myself get out there and do it. And a couple of days ago, two women stopped me on my way out of the gym. They said they had seen me working out for the past couple of months and they were really impressed with how far I've come and that they wanted me to know that I'm an inspiration to them. That really made my day. Made my week, really. And you never know. Once you start, someone may be looking at you and be impressed with your efforts.
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #29  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I don't mind walking in public, but that's about it... Exercise is a very personal thing for me and I am embarrassed by the idea of doing it in public. I also enjoy jogging, but I tend to just do it in-place with my Wii Fit.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #30  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

honestly, you have to just do it. it doesnt matter what other people are thinking. first off, who cares if they stare or judge. you are making yourself healthy, you are living your life for you, not other people.. chances are they arent even watching anyway, but you have to just get off your *** and do it. how long are you going to put youself aside because of what you think someone may or not be thinking about you. you never know who you could be inspiring by getting yourself out there.

also, if anyone is so inclined, skating is an AMAZING full body work out (an no, you're not too fat to do it.) a lot of derby leagues have "fit not hit" classes or similar fitness classes. i can really feel the changes in my body. we also have a low impact workout dvd called the roller derby workout which does a full body tone with yoga and plyometrics. if anyone is interested in more info let me know. i would love to help you get hooked up with skating. its the best decision i have ever made. because even when im haging my hardest day, i have 70 cheerleaders. the HARDEST thing i had to learn was how to get up off the ground. GET UP OFF THE GROUND. how freaking silly is that. you cant get your fat *** UP OFF THE GROUND. but i did it. and now in doing it with correct form and everything. and every week my coaches would take as long as i needed to get off the damn ground.

sorry that i go on and on and on about derby, i just love it so much.
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote