Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #1  
Fatty McFatty wasnt funny

S/C/G: 341.2/333.2/250

Height: 5'8"

Default Desperately seeking bike for big lady!!

I've always loved bike riding..to the store,to work,and even to my favorite eating places,but recently I hopped up on my old bike and it looked sad trying to carry me to work. I've been looking online and found bikes for 5'8" 300+ but they cost around $500!!! Which is crazy expensive for me. So I was wondering if any of you bike ride and where you got your bike from around how much was it...I know I know I might have to spend some money but I need one cause I miss it and its FUN exercise :-).

Thanks ladies in advance
PansasMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Hubby and I bought our bikes at Walmart. We weren't able to afford the bikes we really wanted, but we took all the advice we got from the bike shops and started looking everywhere for affordable bikes that fit the bill. Oddly, one of Walmart's second-cheapest bikes fit the bill.

We were told to look for the simplest frame (all those springs and coils that make a bike a more comfy ride, are points of possible weakness. Look for a seat that's attached directly to the bike frame, not to a spring that's attached to the bike frame. Same for the bike's frame - any coils or springs or plastic covered springy bit is a possible pitfall. The older style the better (we nearly bought the retro styled Schwinn at the dealership, but we didn't know if we'd ride enough to make it worth it).

We did have to replace the seats (I bought the biggest gel seat Walmart had, and it's worked fine. If I bike for longer distances, I'll probably eventually order an even bigger seat).

I still want the expensive bike, eventually - but for now my Walmart bike is holding up fine. I'm not on it enough though to really be a true test of it. I don't bike for transportation (my balance isn't good enough), so it's just 20 minutes or so a few times a week.

However - the bike shop people were very happy to help and answer questions, even though they knew we couldn't afford to buy bikes from them. They actually suggested garage sales (if you know your bikes, you can get great sales at garage sales). We didn't, so we bought the first bikes we saw that fit the "rules" we were given that fell in our price range).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #3  
Fatty McFatty wasnt funny

S/C/G: 341.2/333.2/250

Height: 5'8"

Thank you so much I appreciate the help very much. If you don't mind telling me the name of the bike? I went to 3 Wal-Marts and found 3 different bikes that fit :-)
PansasMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #4  

Sure, it was the 26" Avalon by bikezone.

The seat was terribly uncomfortable, but I made the mistake of thinking I'd ride it that way for a while and see if I got used to it. I could barely walk the next day. Everywhere it hurt while I was riding, was ten times as sore the next day.

I'd recommend getting the larger gel seat right away. Or at least being smarter than I was and if you do find the existing seat uncomfortable, that you not ride until you can get the seat replaced.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #5  

Kaps is right. All traditional framed bicycles are overbuilt. The triangle can support way more weight than you'd imagine, especially for on-road bicycling. I rode quite a few miiles when at my highest weight (350).

Change the seats!!! Seats that come with bicycles are really secret torture devices designed by sadists. The seat should be parallel with the ground. Keep in mind, the more padding is not better. Your tailend will compress that and it will feel as if you are being thrown back when you sit on it. You also don't want it too far forward so you are putting pressure on your hands. Height of the seat matters. When the pedal is at the lowest point, you should have slight bend in your knee.

Have a great time cycling and wear a helmet.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #6  
Dinkachu

S/C/G: 497/455/150

Height: 5'2 "

I just got a catalog from a company that sells big clothes and accessories and they feature a bicycle made to carry larger people. It has a reinforced frame and a big seat. The catalog is Woman Within. They are online. I have never seen this bike before so I Don't know how good it is, but being specifically made to carry large people is probably good. You can check it out online.
Lindy
Dinkachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #7  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I highly recommend the Hobson Easyseat. I have used them for over 20 years on exercise and regular bikes. Here's a link to the Amazon listing for it:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobson-Easysea.../dp/B001C6DROM
If you go to Amazon through Fatchicks, the website gets a kick back. It's basically a two cheek seat. Each side rocks independently, and you can adjust them pretty wide apart. No crotch rot.

You can also get stronger tubes/tires for your bike. Any bike shop can help with that.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #8  
Reclaiming control!

S/C/G: 337/siggy/185

Height: 5'11

Pansas thanks for starting this thread!

Ladies thanks for all the tips and advice. I had recently started looking at bikes online and the cheaper ones were $1000! Heck no... maybe if it was my primary mode of transportation.

Dinkachu, do you remember how much the bike was?
MyBodyisMyTemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #9  
Dinkachu

S/C/G: 497/455/150

Height: 5'2 "

I just looked the bike up again - it is 499.99 - that sounds like a lot. It says it has reinforced spokes and a solid frame. There is also an online coupon for 20% off and sometimes they will do free shipping. Good luck. Lindy
Dinkachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #10  

The bikes hubby and I bought were each under $100. I believe they were actually around $80.

If you look for a one piece frame, and avoid frames with the springs and plastic or rubber sections on the frame, I think you'll be fine (that's what we were told to do).

I was very leery about our bikes, even after we bought them. I was half convinced that the bike was going to bend under my weight, but I decided that even if it lasted only one year, it would give me time to save for a better bike. It was also a test of my committment. I didn't want to buy a $500 bike and then learn that I hated using it.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how well our cheapies have held up (literally).

Last edited by kaplods; 07-02-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #11  

I honestly think those sites advertising bikes for $1000 for larger people are in the job of ripping people off. Bikes are totally overbuilt. A triangle frame can withstand 400 lbs easily. Unless you are doing wheelies and jumping curbs, the tires and spokes will hold up nicely.

Go buy a used bike at your bike shop, a new bike at Wally World, look for bargins on Craigs list, go yard saling (sailing LOL). You don't have to spend more than $80-120 on a bike. DO spend money on a decent seat.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #12  

I just bought a bike this past weekend. I went with a Raleigh.

Really, you want to spend the extra money on a high quality product.

The bikes you can buy at Walmart are made of cheap materials and just won't hold up like a good one.

I paid $350 (on sale) for mine. Well worth it. Oh-and the seat that came on it is so comfortable, I won't have to spend extra $$ buying another one.

Go back to the bike shop and ask for a this one:

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/comfort/circa-i8/
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #13  

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/index.php

I was going to save up for one....hopefully by the tiem I have the money, I won't need one from them and can just get a good one and have some leftover dinero...... If that is the case, it will be irony I can appreciate.
sidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #14  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

I just bought a single speed beach cruiser with coaster brakes at my local bike shop for $199.00. It is an excellent bike. I almost bought a similiar bike at Target, but then decided to see what the bike shop had. There was an $80 difference with the Target bike being cheaper. Once I saw the bike shop bike (and they let me try it out in the parking lot) I could really see a difference in the quality. The Target bike just didn't look as good a quality. And, it had less spokes so the wheels were not as strong. I am very, very happy with my bike shop bike. It is made in Miami. The company is Sun Bicycles I think. It is the Kruizer model. Very basic but I love it! It is Spice Pumpkin (a really pretty burnt orange color). The seat is very comfy, so I don't have to buy a new seat either. The whole riding experience is just fantastic. It is smooth, comfortable and fun.

I have had it for just over a week and have ridden it nearly every day. I love it. I am sooooo glad I went with the bike shop bike cause I know it will hold up for me and last for years and years.

Good luck shopping.

Kathy
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

I really want a Schwinn cruiser. I tried one out today and the seats are super comfortable!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote