Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #1  
Recommitted: 12/29/2015

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'6" | Age: 27

Question When and where did you start to notice excess skin?

Hey all,

I'm currently about 14 pounds into what will ultimately be a 135-lb or so weight loss journey and I'm pretty curious as to when others have first noticed their excess skin. I've more or less accepted that fact that I will have at least some degree of excess skin and I'm really not too stressed about it; I'm just looking forward to having more energy, buying cute clothes, and having TOM be more regular again...a little (or a lot) of skin is a small price to pay to regain my health and youth!

That said, I'm sort of curious as to when it will start to be more noticeable and if I'll be able to tell that it's skin, or if it will just continue to look like fat. I'm sure it varies from person-to-person, but I'd just generally like to get a feel for around when I should start to see some extra skin making its presence known.

If you could include your height, starting weight, age, body type, and after how many pounds lost and where you first noticed excess skin, that'd be awesome! Thanks!

Last edited by Enduring Infinity; 02-10-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Enduring Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I was only 19 when I started losing weight. I am 5' 2", I began at 262, and am now in the high 180's. I began noticing the skin at about 50 lbs lost. My belly is almost flat, but I have a large flap hanging from the bottom...it is skin but there is some fat in it, but is is clearly hanging off. My inner thighs have some hanging skin too, but the worst are my arms...the bat wings are very pronounced! And btw, I am slightly pear shaped.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #3  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm 50 years old and have just begin noticing some extra skin on my inner thighs at the 70+ lbs lost. However the rest of my fatty parts seem mushier than they've been in the past so suspect that's what that texture is as well. The weight I'm losing now has been on my body for 20 years so not really expecting it to be very pretty by the time I'm done. But it's way better than the fat!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm also looking to lose 135 total. I've lost 50 so far and have just recently started noticing loose skin in my arms and a little in my belly.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #5  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescelestus View Post
I was only 19 when I started losing weight. I am 5' 2", I began at 262, and am now in the high 180's. I began noticing the skin at about 50 lbs lost. My belly is almost flat, but I have a large flap hanging from the bottom...it is skin but there is some fat in it, but is is clearly hanging off. My inner thighs have some hanging skin too, but the worst are my arms...the bat wings are very pronounced! And btw, I am slightly pear shaped.
I'm the same weight and it was pretty much the same for me... I'd say the stomach happened first now the inner thighs are getting noticeable. One place I didn't expect it was behind/below my knees in the back. I also have a bit of droop at the elbows that I feel makes me look heavier then I am currently.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #6  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

I'm 27, 5'6, and my starting weight was 310 lbs. I carried most of my weight in my middle (stomach, back, shoulders) and of course my thighs. Since I've lost weight I'm now pear shaped (darn thunder thighs).

At my high weight I had some 'overhang' on my belly and that didn't change as I lost weight it just got squishier. I first started noticing the excess skin around my belly after I lost 80lbs. It wasn't more noticeable than at my high weight just squishier (I compare it to pizza dough). It hasn't really gotten worse although I do go through times where the skin is looser looking but then tightens up a little (and that happens all over my body).

I started noticing excess skin on my thighs after I lost 115 lbs. It isn't terrible but there is potential for some icky rolls (I'm praying they tighten up).

My arms do have bat wings that make my arms look chunkier than they really are, but it doesn't bother me since I've never worn sleeveless shirts. Although they are a bit freaky looking when I'm working out, lol.

Also, I have found that after I lost 80 lbs my skin goes through phases and will loosen in places and look a little weird (not noticeable to anyone but myself) but will tighten after a few weeks.

The skin issues with weight loss is a bit frustrating, but it's impossible to predict what will really happen until you reach your goal & maintain for a bit. I try not to worry about it too much, and am trying to take the wait & see approach.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #7  
Recommitted: 12/29/2015

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'6" | Age: 27

Sorry for the delay in responding, but thanks for the responses, everyone! This has been helpful and interesting to read! I'm working on building a positive body image and embracing changes both positive and less positive that weight loss will bring about it my body so it's very helpful to me to know what to expect and to have an idea of when to expect it!
Enduring Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #8  

I'm wondering if some of those skin tightening lotions might not be of (at least a little) help in this process? Has anyone tried?
missyanne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

The worst for me is the upper arms. Not so much the batwings, as many women my age (46) have them anyway and is part of aging but I notice wrinkling crepey skin over my biceps especially scarey when exercising. I have great neck and shoulders but can't go sleeveless especially when exercising. I also have some lower belly overhang but nowhere near as bad as when it was filled with fat and a rather strange little roll above my waistline but below my ribs. By and large my thighs and butt have come off not too badly especially as I carried a lot of my weight here.

BTW, I started out at 290lbs and now weigh 165.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 02-19-2010 at 10:44 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #10  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KforKitty View Post
and a rather strange little roll above my waistline but below my ribs.
Kitty
I have that little pooch above the belly button too.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #11  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I am 54, and I first noticed it on my arms last summer before I started dieting. Then one evening I noticed that my thighs were really flabby, not at all firm after I had lost about 40 pounds. After 47 pounds, I am feeling it all over! YIKES! I fear sagging is going to be a real issue this time around, I have lost the elasticity in my skin!
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote