Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 349/T/180

Height: 5'8

Default Staying on program, but feeling down

I just started and I have stayed on program all week and I am very happy about that, but for some reason I am feeling sad. I don't know if it is because I feel as if I am deprived or if I given up what truly comforts me. I don't know, it is just kind of strange and I can't explain it. I am eating enough calories for my size and I am not really feeling like I am still hungry. I just don't know what my problem is, I feel like I have lost my best friend. Maybe I am crazy or just going through withdrawals, who knows. I just need to figure out a way to deal with it. I am a reader, but even getting lost in a book isn't helping like it usually does. Anyone else go through this???
KTFaith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #2  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I think the way you are feeling is perfectly normal. I go through the same thing myself when ever I start on plan. because I've fallen off the wagon many times and have had to restart! Here is the way I look at it. My relationship with food and the way I eat is like being in a bad marriage or having a bad relationship wit ha boyfriend.... You LOVE each other but your NOT good for each other. it's a misused, unhealthy relationship... and you finally decided hey this isn't going anywhere we are not good for each other and we only bring each other down. you finally make the big step and end the relationship.. just because you break up doesn't mean you've stopped loving that person it just means you realized that person is no good for you... for every bad relationship I ever got out of there is a "mourning" period.. too me food was and still is at times "my comfort" "my shoulder to lean on" the one thing that wouldn't leave me. So to me it only seems logical to go through a short period where you miss your old lifestyle. it was comforting, it was familiar, and it was what you were used to..

get my drift? every day it will get easier! and you'll look back and say to yourself I cant belive I ever settled for that type of lifestyle I deserve MUCH better! and I HAVE better now!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 6"

Me too! My problem is food addiction. I'm like a crack addict that can't get a fix. It really messes with my head and emotions. I get sad, irritable, etc. But I can NOT give into to the monster. I can usually hold out for a while but my big challenge is when I hit the first plateau. Successful losers say the feelings and struggle lessens as time passes. We just gotta hang in there!
chattykathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

Trust me, I know what you are going through and I believe that many other can relate. American society deals with their depression in three main ways:

1. Overeating
2. Compulsive Spending on material things
3. Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol

It is a lot easier and more comforting to suppress our emotions by doing these things, and I admit that I still do all three on occasion (the first two way more often that I would like!). When you don't eat for comfort and only for fuel, you are creating a deficit of calories and it can definitely make you feel deprived. I believe that you have to eat what your body wants you to eat in controlled portions, but also realize that living a cleaner lifestyle will help to diminish the cravings. I am reading "The Power of Now" which is really helping me cope with the lifestyle change of eating and living well. Journal your thoughts, plan ahead for meals, and eat small, frequent meals. When you are feeling lonely or craving "something" but cannot label it, call a friend...take a walk...get your heart rate up and dance to upbeat music. Drink a lot of water as well...dehydration makes you false hungry and moody. Just know we all struggle with it but you will feel SO much stronger and better when you keep this positive habits. Remember, this IS a lifestyle, not a crash diet or fad.

CHEERS

Last edited by charlottekelsey; 01-10-2010 at 12:42 AM.
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #5  

You all are soooo right and I just have to learn that it takes time to deal with choosing to live a healthy lifestyle. Heck, I have been living with the old one for over 20 years and food has become everythng to me.
Thank you so much for all of your support...it is comforting to know that there other people out there who are struggling with the same thing, but making it through.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #6  
Taming the Bread Monster

Height: 5'10"

I feel the same way when I start a plan. When we deny ourselves the foods we love, it is almost like saying goodbye to a favorite friend. Food has so many connotations -- especially social ones. We associate food with family, tradition and comfort. I love stuffing myself with gingerbread because I love the history of it and all the holiday connotations associated with it. But it makes me unhealthy and fat. Chicken breast and green beans may not have all the exciting connotations of family and tradition, but it does make me feel better when I eat them.

How do I cope? I buy tea flavored like the sweets I love. You can find gingerbread tea, chocolate tea, candy cane tea -- all sorts! I put in a bit of stevia and some milk and I have a very satisfying and flavorful drink that makes me happy (but not unhealthy). I also try out new healthy traditional recipes from various cultures -- certain Middle Eastern and African recipes are delicious and totally healthy. Plus it's exciting to learn how to cook something new and that helps to cheer me up a bit.

Sure, I miss my sourdough breads and big, hearty dinners, but being healthy more than makes up for all the foods I associate with comfort. And now I have new favorite foods that I love -- like low fat beef vegetable soup, or my recipe for walnuts and blueberries with yogurt. I also make sure to give myself a "gift" for every ten pounds lost. I recently got a new shade of lipstick I always wanted to try. For my next ten pounds, I'm giving myself a subscription to a fitness magazine. These little treats work wonders for cheering you up...
Aschekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 350/332/200

Height: 5'7

I go through a little depression every time I start a diet. It's hard. It could be chemical (like a withdrawal from sugar, caffeine, or other 'substances' you are used to) or it could be psychological. If you are an emotional eater and turn to food for comfort, of COURSE you are going to feel down if that "friend" is no longer there to make you feel better. Give yourself a break, because it makes sense that you are feeling this way. The sooner you discover something to replace that old friend, though, the better. When you are feeling down, instead of turning to food you've got to almost FORCE yourself to turn to something else. It could be exercise, reading, dancing, or talk with a good (human) friend. Just a bunch of different things until you find a few options that work for you. For me, distraction is key... so going to a movie is great, or just hoping in the car and going to the mall for window shopping works too. If none of those things seem to help, and you've just gotta get something in your mouth... try a healthy lo-cal food like one of these guys -->

I know from past experience that this is such a crucial time. You are really at a crossroads. You can either go on one path that leads back to old habits for comfort, or you can choose to go down the other path that leads to newer, healthier habits. Of course, one road is easy to take in the short term, but you know how that road ends. The other road is tougher, but it leads you to a much much better place. If you can work through this day, and then the next and the next, before you know it you will be learning new coping mechanisms and be on the other side of the "withdrawal" stage of any physical additions causing these feelings.

You can do this. Just take it one day at a time. One minute at a time, when necessary.

I don't know if any of this helped... but I mostly wanted to tell you how much I can relate to where you are at right now, and give you a big hug!
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #8  

Thank you all sooo much...this has helped tremendously, probably so much more than you know.