Old 10-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 324/324/250

Height: 5'6

Default Rewards?

So I'm thinking.

My family has always used food rewards. Get A's on your report card? Have a cake! That sort of thing. Where I've always been a little -concerned- about my weight growing up, I never turned food away, you know? Things have to change, though.

Thinking about the future, what will happen when I get to my goal weight/goal pantsize, what should I reward myself with? I considered several things, but I think I either want to reward myself with a small tattoo or a new piercing.

What motivates you, other than being healthier/slimmer? Are you using/have you used a reward system? Do you not believe in that sort of thing?
coyotefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

There are times I splurge, even to celebrate something and usually that has nothing to do with weight, and I get a treat of some kind. Sometimes that could be a food treat, something I never have, and that could be me making something for myself or etc. Other times I'll reward myself with a new shirt or something. I don't buy many clothes for myself, so having something I really like is really a treat for me and I get really excited when I see I can wear something new and better yet something I like! When I was 340 pounds I never wore anything I liked. I mean I didn't even have style. :/ So, now that I'm smaller I'm finding that my style is coming out a bit more, BUT I'm not there yet. So, it isn't exactly my style, but I'm getting there. My point is that it is a real treat and reward for me to have something on me that I like, that fits, and is closer to my true style of things.

Other than that I don't really use a reward system for weight loss. I just do what I likes when I likes lol. Sometimes my boyfriend will say "get this next 10 pounds off and I'll treat you," and that is fun . That is kind of like a reward system I suppose, but I'm not consistent.

I do have motivation, even with all my struggling. I have a big trip I want to take and I can take it when my body has healed up more and that means more weight off.

*sigh* Not there yet!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #3  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I never really bothered with rewards although come to think of it there was a point when I dropped every 20lbs I'd buy something little like a ring off of etsy or something fun like that, but I only did it a few times not throughout this whole journey. I'm beyond the point where I need to bribe myself to do what needs to be done.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 10-10-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #4  
Just keeping on truckin'

S/C/G: 265/240/114

Height: 5'2

Quote:
I have a big trip I want to take and I can take it when my body has healed up more and that means more weight off.
Jacquie, where are you planning on going? That's a great motivator. One of my biggest motivators is that I want to go to Israel with my school. I know now that there is no way I could handle the heat or all the walking... Just tired of missing out on things, you know?

Last edited by PinkFlamingo; 10-10-2009 at 10:35 AM.
PinkFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/150

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I have set rewards for myself. Like when I reach 250 I am going to get a day of beauty. Then when I reach 199 (I really cant wait for that day) I am going to get my belly button peirced. I decided to give my self rewards for all the hard work that I am putting in.
uclr0028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlamingo View Post
Jacquie, where are you planning on going? That's a great motivator. One of my biggest motivators is that I want to go to Israel with my school. I know now that there is no way I could handle the heat or all the walking... Just tired of missing out on things, you know?
It is kind of complicated, but basically I want to go to England to visit some people and a very special friend. I've never been anywhere really, never traveled outside of the U.S. so this would be a good thing for me to do something by myself and independent. I need more time to heal myself, not just about being self conscious, but physically be prepared for a new adventure!

It is a great motivator, but that can also be a let down when you feel it is slipping away so at the end of the day we shouldn't let our weight slow us down even though when I say that, I do let it slow me down at times lol. Work in progress!
Old 10-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Jacquie, do you have your passport yet? Make that a reward, like a stage 1 reward, and with every goal or milestone, get something else that motivates you to your ultimate goal...suitcases, the right shoes for comfort and style, a stylish new raincoat and umbrella (you'll need it), save money, etc.

But don't wait until you lose all the weigh to go to London. I don't believe in not living until I'm a certain size. I've done all my international traveling between 353 - 315 lbs. With babies/toddlers and diaper bags, between the ages of 36 and 47.

I've been to London several times. Once I spent 10 days there with a friend and had a wonderful time, and even lost 10 lbs. Because we walked everywhere! I would go back in a heartbeat if I could!

Coyote, my current rewards come in the form of ways to care for myself better. I get a massage and a facial on a regular basis. I get new, cute workout outfits for myself. I make sure to buy myself the right training shoes so that my legs don't hurt when I walk. I'm learning to treat myself better and better. I try not to make my rewards be self-indulgent so that they don't enable worse behavior.

Oh, and I buy handbags.

Last edited by geoblewis; 10-11-2009 at 04:42 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Clothes clothes clothes clothes clothes! Also I started going to the tanning salon once I hit about 260...it makes a world of difference. And I had my hair highlighted, also a big difference.

I wore mostly sweatpants/stretchy pants and big tent shirts when I was a size 32. Now I am a clothes HORSE. I fear it will only get worse the smaller I get!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #9  

Geobliss - You're right, I shouldn't delay. Don't have a passport yet, but I will get one soon. I have some time to try to get more weight off, so I think it will be okay, but at some point I should just take the plunge and go have an adventure! I also will need tons of new clothes lol. That is a good idea for rewards...something I can slowly accept as my goals!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #10  
starting over again

S/C/G: 361/334/180

I plan on rewarding my self with self esteem improving rewards like a manicure or pedicure, an professional hair coloring and good cut, a facial or eyebrow threading, a nice article of clothing, maybe a massage, or a local trip somewhere fun, or small helpful things like an upgrade for my mp3 player headphones, one of those funny woolen hats with ear flaps!
lostbutstilltrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 349.8/229/165

Height: 5'9"

I set my goals with rewards in mind but I have yet to actually go through with the reward even though I have been meeting my monthly weight loss goals.

I know I deserve to recieve said rewards but for some reason I still don't feel like I can spend the 20$ to get an hour long foot massage, that I would sooo truly LOVE! Maybe at some point I will love myself enough to be pampered, even if it's just a little. A foot massage is something I've always wanted, so why is following through so hard?
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #12  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

I got my ears pierced when I lost 30 pounds, when I hit 50 I'm gonna hit Sephora, after that we'll see!
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #13  
sugar is the devil

I have a "reward" for each 5 lbs I lose. As I get lower and lower, the rewards get better and better! My final reward to myself is a big tattoo piece I've been planning for years.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #14  
MeTime

S/C/G: 421/287/220

Height: 5'10

I have a monthly reward right now and that is, if I have stuck on plan with both calories, water, and exercise then on the weekend following payday once a month I go into town and get a thai aroma therapy massage.

I just recenty decided on my HUGE reward for this past year here in South Korea. On December 13th, it is my last weigh in day for the current biggest loser challenge. If I stay on plan with everything, and right now things are going great, then I will be off on an amazing trip that week.

I purposely scheduled for my one week vacation that week and I will be traveling from here in South Korea to spend one week in Japan! I am so excited. I'm not the kind of person who normally seeks out doing things by myself so this is a HUGE leap for me to commit to traveling for a whole week by myself instead of just staying around the house.

I'm excited.
shan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #15  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

Clothes, for sure. Whenever I drop another size, I get something new, and the smaller I get, the more affordable it becomes, since I can shop sales racks almost everywhere now, and it's much easier to find stuff at thrift shops, as well. I have an absolute passion for clothing that I couldn't really indulge for the longest time, and now that it's possible to dress the way I would like to, I do.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote