Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Well, the boss is gone and mid-year reviews done. Whew. Actually, it was a very good conversation and I feel a lot of stress leaving me. I feel fairly secure in my job for at least another 1-2 years. Maybe I can finally "let go" of all that uncertainty and move away from it. You know what...not "maybe"...I WILL. How? By getting my butt in gear towards all the positive things I want to do. Let's GO!

I'll stop by at lunch and get caught up on personal replies. to all for now!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Angela -- I find it fascinating how out of touch we as a nation are about unhealthy eating! I never used to pay attention to carts in the grocery stores, but now -- on the occasions I go to a "regular" grocery store -- I see how different mine looks from many others. I don't buy cookies, chips, ice cream, but I am in a real minority!

Terri -- That's got to be a relief about the job situation. I know you WILL move past it.

Vicky -- WELCOME! We look forward to getting to know you. Your plan sounds perfect for starting off! I encourage you to join us in the exercise thread (stickied at the top of the page). We count the minutes we exercise and are trying to break our 2007 goal! It's easy and fun!!

Julia -- Yay on the whoosh! Let's definitely not send a rescue mission for the lost pounds!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #48  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Good day to you all, my sweet friends.

I'm not having a good day today, still struggling with body pain and fatigue. I slept really well last night and now it's almost 10 a.m. and I feel bloated and exhausted and ready for a nap. I'm struggling with The Judge in my head this morning, the one that scrapes away at my resolve. Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

(Tried to get it all out in my blog this morning, but I still feel so bleh.)

Heather, I too love your story! Great comeback with the Spanish! I used to do that too, but in Greek, when I lived in Indonesia. But then they'd say, "Oh! Wah! Xena!" and back away. When my patience was low, I was fine with them thinking I could kick their @$$.

Vicki, so glad you can join us! I lost my first 40 lbs with just lifestyle changes, keeping a food diary, tracking calories, eliminating refined carbs and dairy, cutting out unnecessary fats and starting to exercise regularly. I think the food diary alone made a huge impact on my daily choices.

Julia, congrats on the whoosh! What sorts of bars are you baking for the kids. I need to do something like that, although right now the boys are eating up my remaining Medifast bars.

Angela, I am very guilty of the mindless eating thing...tasting while I'm cooking, emptying bags of snack foods without realizing it, cleaning the boys' plates after dinner. I actually asked them to help me stop doing that by emptying their plates into the garbage disposal when they're done with dinner and putting away the leftovers for me. However, I can't elicit the help of my parents. My mom will just continue to ignore me and pile my plate with what she cooks because her food is actually more holy than regular food, and my dad will search for "doctors" promoting their quackery through their own expensive food supplements.

And the upbeat attitude is my lifelong rebellion against my parents, because they are such downers and I refuse to end up like them!

Last edited by geoblewis; 08-27-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #49  

Height: 5'11"

That is all.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #50  

I'm back.

Julia - Welcome to this side of the group! for your loss! Awesome. It has been a crazy summer here too with the weather. I think we're only supposed to be in the upper 70's for several days.

Vicky - Welcome to the group as well! Looks like you've got a sensible approach and great outlook. Look forward to learning more about you!

Heather - I know it wasn't funny at the time, but your stories made me laugh. Especially the “Habla espanol??”

Angela - You have a very good point there about the mindless eating. For me, the worst place for mindless eating is at work. And I can walk around and see so many people with bags of chips, popcorn, pretzels, candy, etc where they snack all day long. Some people even have food stashes for all their snacking. They, however, don't seem to gain weight as much. I also realize that we, overweight, folk tend to be really hard on ourselves for having "food issues". We're not the only ones if we just look around. Again, unfortuntately for us, it has a different impact on our bodies. So maybe its time to give that up for ourselves?? Or at least cut ourselves a little slack but just know that we have to work harder at controllling the issues because of how our bodies respond?? Wow, you've had a rough few weeks. I'm glad to see your mom is heading in the right direction. I loved your comments about picking out a doctor and keeping up with them. Did anyone notice you doing that? Look at how close you are to your goal of 299! You can do it!!!

Christina - Good to see you back! See my comments above about letting go of the blaming thing. That is our challenge for this week anyway! Letting go of these feelings that are holding us back. Part one was to get up and "let's go" by getting more activity in as that helps with our self esteem. You can do this and no more beating yourself up. Just keep remembering Scarlett O'Hara!

Carol - Good job on keeping OP and a great workout!! Let's keep working hard at this. I'm tired of being stuck in the 260's. You did GREAT on your DH's birthday. Didn't that feel great to recognize what you wanted? Enjoy that feeling!!!

Georgia - I just love reading your posts. Where is your October retreat? You go, and have been, to such interesting places. I haven't tried bouncing on my big green ball. I figure if I tried that while watching TV, the dogs would knock me off. Whenever Duke sees me in the reclining position on it for ab work, he thinks its time to climb up and lay on mom to lick her in the face. Talk about extra core work! I'll have to check out Green Day on Itunes. How fun that you went and had such a great time. You needed that after all the life stress you've been under lately.

Walrus - The other "issue" area that we should just let go of is that image in our heads that we're Godzilla. You have been working way too hard. I liked Carol's comment about scheduling exercise as a meeting. A 30 minute break to take a walk or do something at home would be a good mental booster, plus burn calories plus give you the boost of doing that for yourself, while you're having to work so hard on these projects. I had to chuckle about your story at the new doc's office. I always want to say, yup, go right aheadn and keep moving that slider thingy.

Valerie - How's the new mare doing in her new home? Took about a week for Bud, the new Walker, to settle in and be part of the "boys". Now they've accepted him and they stick together like glue. I tried riding Bud out in the pasture with Phoenix and Spanky loose. I thought that it would be comforting to Bud as he does have "barnitus". Spanky thought it was appropriate to come up behind Bud and bite him on the butt...WHILE I WAS RIDING. How are you doing with SB? Fruit is okay. I like a Phase 1.5 where I allow milk and some fruit.

Debi - That sucks about the weeds. I've had that problem the last two years. And once they take over, its just about impossible to regain control without round-up. How is hubby doing after all that scare about his heart?

Angie - Welcome to the group. Of course you can join us here. Dang girl, you need a big hug. Sorry to hear about your dad and niece. And the long work days. It is very hard to deal with all the life stresses and long days and put our health first. Its almost like we have to become selfish in that regard. Easy to say but so hard to do! Can you take a 30 minute walk break at lunch? Maybe over lunch even? Or small breaks for a walk?

Tippers - I like that team approach with Ruby as well. You'll have to keep us posted about your work with the therapist. Well, as much as you feel comfortable sharing of course! On the snorkeling, sounds fun, but what would happen if you did have non-native plants? I'm intrigued. You have done some amazing work at your college. I'm sorry to see the tole it has taken on you though. Or toll? Start thinking about all the good that this theraphy is going to open up for you. Don't be thinking about what you "can't" do anymore but what else you are GOING to be doing that is good for you. Recognize the panic at losing control - food is something you can control. That's how we end up with food issues - because food is one thing we can definitely control and gain comfort/reflief from. You can get it back together! Give yourself credit for that!

Letstry - The lasagna mods sounded really good. I may have to try that myself sometime soon.

Okay, I have been working on this for a while and better get it posted. I'm sorry if I missed anyone. to all again!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Julia - YEEEEEEEEEEEAH - a whoosh - we love whooshes.

Terri - your posts always speak to me - thank you. I'm still on track with recording food and exercise - that commitment makes such a difference in my success.

Vicky - welcome! Great group here - I look forward to getting to know you.

Angela - welcome back. You've had quite a summer - ready for things to settle down?

Today was another great OP day with an extra water aerobics class tonight. I took a half day PTO this afternoon - I hope all the shopping is done for the surprise party on Saturday - tomorrow is cleaning and cooking - AND EXERCISE.

Lurkers - come out come out wherever you are. I miss you!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #52  
BELIEVE!

Hi!

Busy, crazy...you know, the usual.

Just wanted to say hi!

Off to bed!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #53  

We had a VERY LONG DAY. But have safely arrived in Naperville. We're staying at the Arista Hotel, and it's FABulous! We are in a ginormous suite, thanks to a special they were running, and I'm waiting for it to be my turn to use the amazing-looking tub. It's 2 am -- not sure whether that's VA time or IL time, but I'm tired all the same. I was very proud of the amount of work I got done at both my regular job and my contracting job, though my freelance job has completely been pushed aside. I can catch up some in the evenings here, and I'll have time after I get back, but right now, something had to give, and that was it. I was up until about 3-4 am Thursday morning finishing my mom's sweater -- but it's done! I have to sew the ends in, but I even tried it on, and it felt great. I hope she likes it now, something like 3 years after I picked out the pattern for her

So it's off to bed for me -- I probably won't be on much for the next week, but imagine me as the invisible carrot, supporting, cajoling, and encouraging you all toward success and much happiness
Old 08-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Good Friday morning Chicks - I'm taking a little break for an extra cup of coffee from the morning chores. Last night while browsing another thread I came across a post that has had my mind going. The start of the post is:

"I've gotta say I don't know anything about how to be a thin person."

I was thin (175) in my early 20s for about 2 hours. That has been nearly 30 years ago. I know how to be an overweight couch potatoe. I know how to whine and make excuses for my weight. It struck me that possibly I am learning how to be a "healthy" person (certainly can't say thin) by my behavior changes - exercise - changed eating habits. I haven't learned in so many ways though - still only buy black dress pants - still am drawn to the "frumpy" style that exists in the largest plus size available. Still feel like holidays and parties mean FOOD.

Terri - I'd like to throw this out as next weeks challenge - we need to start changing the vision both of ourselves now and down the road.

How have each of you changed your visions of yourself? What/how do you accomplish the changes?

Thanks for listening to my brain trying to make sense of this very powerful issue.

Carol
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #55  

I did it..I cooked a huge meal and just ate a salad.Hubby said he knew I was serious again. I think he felt guilty for eating the meal.LOL I had just gotten the minitramp out to jump and he got his shoes on and lets go walking. It was GREAT!!

Carol- I was 150 as a teen. A small top and a size 13 bottom.I have always been a major pear. I was fit and happy.I got married and my sil was in tops and talked me into joining.I lost 27lbs the wrong way. Not tops fault but mine...I totally screwed up my eating habits along with my metabolism.
I then had kid 1, gained to 180 and havent really been below that number much since. By the time kids#3 came along I was over 220 and stayed there.I have lost 90lbs on slimfast and quickly gained it back plus more. I decided I was tired of being fat and wanted to be fit. This little bump in my journey has reminded me why this has to be a life change and not a diet.I can lose the weight but I can gain it back really really fast.

I have to keep exercise and eating right as my number one way of thinking.I feel so much better after just eating perfect yesterday and exercising. Its amazing how fast we can forget how good it makes us feel.

AS for thinking like a thin person...I wear shorter sleeve tops than I have in years yet my arms are the flabbiest ever. I wanted a white pair of dress pants for church so bad this summer but just couldnt bring myself to buy them. I think that will be reward for hitting goal. I also chose alot of black and navy pants and dark brown.
Lets set a goal and for fall all do something we wouldnt do before we lost weight..
We can do this one lbs at a time ( thanks Carol,I like that thinking).

barb_ I have missed you.,..stick your head in and give us an update on how your doing.

Teri- hubby is doing ok...we go back to the cardiologist on wed and Im anxious to see if the blood thinners will be for life or what. He admitted he is out of shape last night and wants to get healthier also.He said when he has a panic attack now he feels good knowing he isnt going to die of a heart attack. He admits he was scared to even try and walk because he would go into a panic at the 1st chest pain. He has suffered with panic attacks for over 10yrs now.

heather- how is that tomatoe looking?

Vicki- HI and welcome..

julia_ congrats on the whoosh..I am so waiting for one!!

geo and walrus - HI

Last edited by dgramie; 08-28-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone!

First, I want to say that I'm going out of town for a few days, so you all need to behave while I'm gone! I'll be out of town until Wednesday, so someone needs to start the new thread Monday (anyone is free to start it any week!). I may be able to peek in, but it's a vacation so I might not!!

Walrus -- You are very close to where I live! Enjoy Naperville if you can. The downtown is very cute.

Debbie -- I picked a few of the blushing tomatoes -- mainly because I'm afraid all the rain we're having will ruin them! but they aren't ready to eat. Maybe when I get back...

Carol -- Being a thin person? Being a healthy person!!! I think I am learning the latter for sure!! As I think about it, that's the difference between my weight gain this past year or so and other times. I did gain 30 pounds, but I still retained many of my "healthy" habits. I exercised regularly still (though maybe not as intensely) and I still mostly ate healthy and watched a lot of what I ate. But I lapsed a lot. Fat heather didn't ever watch what she ate.

So maybe I really have learned something...
Old 08-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 332/328/175

Height: 5'6"

Good morning everyone.

I'm just settling in here at work and even though it is a rainy day here in Atlanta I am hoping for a good day with my eating plan. I can certainly tell that I am feeling much better not eating all of the white flour and fast food - I have more energy and just generally feel better. The plan for this weekend is to find a new exercise bike (the one I have is just not comfortable for me so I am thinking a recumbent bike may be the answer). Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #58  

Hi Heather! Can you see me waving?

Ate too much of things I didn't want/like today -- including the gummiest "risotto" I've ever had, but also, later, some of the best I've ever had -- which led to calorie overload. I'll live... I expected some of it on this trip and knew that today would be the worst, which it was. Tomorrow may also be a challenge, but I'll deal with it tomorrow! No movement today -- about 3 hours plus in the car -- but tomorrow we're helping my grandmother run errands, and I have hopes that involves moving some. We can't really walk, as she's having foot and knee issues as the result of some cysts that were removed, but maybe I'll go get all the stuff in the store and bring it to her

HI Dgramie! Isn't it nice when the people we hope will pick up on and follow our improved eating/exercise plans actually DO!?

Vicky, we have a Schwinn recumbent exercise bike that we love -- haven't ridden it enough lately, but I was on it for hours and hours earlier this year and never got stiff or thought it was uncomfortable. I think when the latest season of Biggest Loser went off the air, I just got uninspired for sitting in the same place for hours at a time. It's something I'll be better about fixing when I get home (now that the heat's breaking!).

Hi everyone else!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #59  

Morning ladies,

It's Saturday and I had no problem being awake at 5:15. Now why can't I do that during the week?

I finally realized that I might be having a slight sinus infection and that is the cause of so much fatigue and head fogginess. I could hardly stay awake at work yesterday and I only worked a half day. With all the rain and humid weather, my allergies have gone bonkers which used to cause me to have chronic sinus infections. I started taking echinacea with goldenseal as soon as I got home. I feel much better this morning so I think I will keep it up for a few days.

Yesterday, I had the most fabulous afternoon and evening. I am still so excited about it today. DH took me over to a local lake to meet up with a high school girlfriend and her husband. They have horses and I took Bud, the borrowed Walker. She and I have known each other since about 4th grade when our families square danced together and then later we ended up in junior and senior high together. We used to be so close. But she got married early and had kids and we just got busy with our own lives. We never totally lost track but we didn't work at keeping in touch. I've seen her maybe only twice in the last 20 years. I got out of the truck and we gave each other a huge hug and it was non-stop talk. We just had such a good time with each other. And we are so much alike our husbands were a little worried. I am so glad too that I had Bud. He's 25 yo and I was afraid the ride would kill him. But he is an amazing trail horse. I never once felt concerned about how technical this area is to ride in. I would not have been comfortable on Spanky. And Bud seemed to love it. They have Walker horses too but much younger, and more energetic. So beautiful to see them moving out - and so darn fast. Bud and I just sat back and enjoyed watching. We agreed to meet in a couple of weeks to ride at their place and I'll take Spanky.

On the way home, I told DH that it was nice to feel just friggin' happy. To allow myself the freedom to not be stressed about anything. I feel so much better about my work environment. I'm happy with DH, our life, and where I am. I feel like I am finally letting go of a lot of old insecurities and baggage. I think some of comes from seeing the old family movies. Really old as I was about 4-5 in most of it. I was such a happy girl. And so darn cute too. I watched that and felt a peace that I want to give that little girl the chance to be that happy again and really enjoy life. Regardless of my weight or what I think of it. My weight doesn't have to define me or how I enjoy my life.

Now, if I could just bottle this feeling to have on hand for the days I get up and feel like I've been hit by a truck.

I'm off to the post office and then a lesson with Spanky. Then I have a few yard work things to do.

to all!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #60  

I am happy to report that I lost 1lb this week.Its not alot...but its a step in the right direction. I will have more freedom this next week so I will exercise more. Hubby is still promising to walk with me...
I also need to do a basement cleaning and get the weights ready. I went down to lift and saw to many little spiders for me( one is to many).So today will be spent grocery shopping , mowing, weeding, cleaning. I feel fall in the air here.I may change my some stuff around and pull out some fall decorations. I know it a little early but it sure feels like fall is coming early this year.
Closed Thread