Old 07-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 311/303/170

Height: 5'10

Question Workout while being sick?

I've been struggling for the past week to work out because I've been sick. I feel guilty because I haven't gone, and when I try to do anything, I feel sick all over again.

Have any of you struggled with this? What have you done to get around it? Medicine and water isn't helping, and I'm just not sure what to do.
MacAttack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

What kind of illness do you have?

If I have a cold/flu and am not a zombie, then I don't mind mild activity, but my thoughts are always to get well as fast as possible and to me resting and when it is time, meaning I don't have a fever and I'm not too weak, I can do activity like walking or whatever. Fresh air, to help me get well. To me getting well is first priority so that I can workout in the near future. I just got over the flu a bit over two weeks ago and after that I started doing my workout again, but I'm slowly building back into a routine. I was sort of out of it for awhile lol.

If I'm sick from something else, not illness related, like I get sick from my BC pills, then I just pull through unless it is really bad. Then I can't bring myself to exercise as nausea has taken over. So, again I just try to do activities like housework and what not, but nothing workout related.

Getting well is important and I don't think you should feel guilty by making it a priority over working out! Just my two cents.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 07-02-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Some people will continue to work out when they don't feel well. I'll admit that I don't. For me, I have a past where I continued working out right up to the weekend I ended up being admitted to a hospital. Now, I'd ignored symptoms about a month prior, but to my own defense they had gone away. Of course, they'd just progressed to a harder to shake illness.

I'm not sure what exercise you're doing, but sometimes even when I'm not feeling enthusiastic, a walk will be okay. No jogging, not even fast walking, just a walk. I can usually be talked into a swim (but only if the weather is warm). However, there's nothing wrong with admitting that you're sick and taking it easy for a few days. Last winter I came down with a flu that was going around. Once I admitted that I was sick, I stopped working out, increased my calories and managed to shake it in half the time as most people who had it.

Now, the only danger in that is in using it as an excuse to do nothing for too long. See, not an easy answer.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #4  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

I had an ear infection a few weeks ago and I went to the gym the first day. The room starting spinning while I was on the elliptical, I got off, went home, and went back when I felt better
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

IMO if you have a cold or the flu your body is probably weak from fighting the infection and I'd give it time to heal. Walking probably wouldn't be bad but your body will tell you when it's had enough. Don't feel bad. You want to do the exercises but your body is telling you when enough is enough. As soon as the illness passes just ease back into it. Hope you get well soon.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I have to echo others and say that it depends on the illness you have. I am just getting over a cold myself and found that working out actually helped me to feel better faster. So I didn't take one day off from working out since I've been sick. However, I did take it a little easy for some things. I also cut out one thing for two days (when I was having trouble keeping my poor nose clear enough to breathe through).

I can guarantee you that if I was nauseated, I would not be working out at all. I'd prolly be lying around eating soup and drinking gatorade, hehe.
So I would suggest what most others did and say to just take it easy. If you want to try doing what you normally do, there's no harm in that. Just make sure if you start feeling worse, stop and rest or try something with less impact.
Oh and get well soon!!!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #7  

Thank you all for your responses. Someone asked what type of sickness I have. Basically, I cannot keep food down. I'm either sick to my stomach, nauscious, and rush to the bathroom. I also have polycystic fibrosis. It's a fancy name for having female problems. Being over weight can cause it, and by losing weight I have a better chance in the future to have children.

(sorry if this is TMI for any of you.)
Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack85 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Someone asked what type of sickness I have. Basically, I cannot keep food down. I'm either sick to my stomach, nauscious, and rush to the bathroom. I also have polycystic fibrosis. It's a fancy name for having female problems. Being over weight can cause it, and by losing weight I have a better chance in the future to have children.

(sorry if this is TMI for any of you.)
Ahh okay, so it isn't something like the flu then. Hmmm...well I think if you start out with light exercise and why not break it up during the day? Maybe breaking it up into smaller segments means you'll be able to do more without getting horribly sick. Even just walking would probably be great for you on the days you just can't do anything more active.

Can you handle say 10 minutes at a time? Or maybe you could get a personal trainer, someone to help you with your condition and exercise?
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/240/180

I definitely take it easier when I'm sick. I lighten the load but still do activity. Like I'm ill I actually am finally getting over bronchitis and I know exertion will flare it up and make me have to use my inhaler. So today I've been using my wii fit and specifically using the lighter activities instead of cardio but still logging the minutes because it's more then sitting still It makes me feel good that I worked out, and good because I'm allowing myself a break to get better! Hope that helps!

-Cheers- Mira
aphimira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphimira View Post
I definitely take it easier when I'm sick. I lighten the load but still do activity. Like I'm ill I actually am finally getting over bronchitis and I know exertion will flare it up and make me have to use my inhaler. So today I've been using my wii fit and specifically using the lighter activities instead of cardio but still logging the minutes because it's more then sitting still It makes me feel good that I worked out, and good because I'm allowing myself a break to get better! Hope that helps!

-Cheers- Mira

Thanks for the input. I would use my wii fit too, but unfortunately ate the cord that connects to the sensor bar. I gotta wait until my replacement comes in. lol
Old 07-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/232/208

Height: 5'3"

Hellooo :]
I know what it feels like not being able to exercise when you're not well. It really sucks, aye. You've got good responses here but I thought I'd share my opinions, anyway :]
I think it depends on how sick you are/feel and how much pain you are in, really. You have no need to push yourself to certain exercises because you'll only end up being worse. When I'm not well enough to exercise, I make sure that I carry on eating healthily and drink plenty of water (Y)
If you really want to exercise then just take it easy and do simple exercises. I hope this helps =D

Take it easy!
xx
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #12  
☆krista-kins™☆

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I agree with everyone else. Don't feel guilty, ease back slowly when you start to feel better and you will be back on track in no time
I was told by my p.t that its better to take a few days off to let your body fight the infection because if you work out full force it can slow your recovery not only from the illness but from the workout. Your body takes on too much at once and so the healing process slows down.
and the way I see it, when I have the flu especially Im not eating much, so really there are no calories to worry about burning off.. LOL..ok thats probably the wrong way to look at it but it makes me feel better about not working out during my illness. lol
Inkedmama98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 352/263.2/170

Height: 69"

I have been thinking the same thing. I have an extremely bad virus and have been off of work for 2 days. I've found that doing some moderate walking, outside perhaps, helps. If you have a fever, working up a sweat isn't really a good idea. You want to keep your fever down. Even some moderate activity will burn calories, then have some rest. If you're pretty much in bed, lift some water bottles or light weights while you watch TV. Don't strain yourself or you'll get better a lot slower.

Drink lots of fluids (juice and water). Avoid caffiene and drinks that dehydrate you. Eat lots of fruits and cooked veggies while you're sick if you're able. I find that the lack of perservatives is easier on my system when I'm sick.
skatardrummer is offline   Reply With Quote