Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

All I know is that I'm tired of writing everything down. And yet, like others, when I don't I gain... I'm trying out some balancing acts to find a happy medium, but haven't achieved it yet...
Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #32  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I got tired of being really obsessed with the food, writing it down, making the right choices, when to eat what, when to stop eating during the day, tracking the water, etc. It was a full-time job for a few months. And I was losing weight more steadily at that time.

I had hooked up with a body-building group and those people are even more obsessed with food than us! It's like a profession for them. I had to step away from them as well.

I'm fortunate to have lived on my own for the last few months, so there were no off-plan foods in my house, and any choices that I made were the right choices. For the last five months I've tracked my food online so I can stay on top of calories and nutrient mix. I don't plan my meals any longer. I just eat when I'm hungry and try to keep my meals at under 600 calories and total fats under 65 gm for the day. And I'm not so caught up with thinking about the food any longer.

I have one concern. My sons are moving back in with me this week. I've been watching my older son suck down sodas and juices while we've been on our trip, and he makes faces when I suggest water. He chooses fries and burgers almost exclusively. When we get home, NONE of that stuff exists in the house, and I won't be letting him bring it in. It's his choice if he goes for it while he's out. I don't want to have to start getting obsessed over what the boys are eating!

Georgia
Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #33  

Smile Hello!

Hi everybody!

Georgia I was just reading your post and thinking, if I could send my DH off somewhere I could do much better staying on plan! LOL! That man can eat anything, and does, never gains a lb. His stomach is a little pouchy now that he is older, but the legs are skinny! Mine look like tree stumps they are so big. Darn I hate that! Mine would make three of his. Oh, and the worst part of it is, he does the shopping. I have to look at cookies, candy, chips etc. every week.

Terri, does your DH still do the grocery shopping? I can't get mine to stop. He actually likes to grocery shop. Now if he would do the cooking, I might not mind that.

Lillion, so how does the graden grow? Oh my aching back, just thinking of all that hoeing and weeding! Now there is one job I am glad my DH does!

Ok, for all of you planners, that is wonderful. I wish I was a list maker. I never know what I am cooking until I am in the kitchen. NOT GOOD!

I went and had my blood work done this morning, now I have a big old ugly bruise on my arm. I didn't stand on her scale. The nurse sort of forgot that and so did I. I haven't lost any since I was there before. Looks as if I am going to have to make a new plan to get it moving again. I told you that I gave up all sugar didn't I? Yep, haven't had anything sweet since Feb. I don't get as hungry and I don't crave all of the bad carbs like I did before. I don't know what I will give up next!

Whoa, this is getting way too long. MTM, Barb, Heather, dgramie, and catwuv (that's cute). A big hello to all of you. I didn't mean to slight anyone. I hope you are all doing well and finding a way to cope with the problems of dieting. Darn genes! We all know it is our parents fault we are overweight! It can't possibly be what we eat. Ta for now, Ruth
Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #34  
MTM

Hi Everyone,

Ruth, same with my dh!! He weighs maybe 160 soaking wet. He does most of the grocery shopping and does pitch in with cooking frequently. He does basic stuff, but I'm not complaining. If I could only eat like he does...never stuffs himself, normal portions, always has a vegetable and a fruit in the evening. Sometimes he'll buy himself cookies or chips, but since he's no longer on steady night turn, I can't sneak around and chow down on his stash.

I'm envious of all you gardeners! I do a lot of volunteer work for a local community youth center, and we tried to get a grant for a garden this year...but they turned us down. We're thinking about calling someone out of the paper to come and rototill up a 20 x 20 or so plot and plant one anyway...I know these inner-city kids would love it. I'm going to call around to all the local garden centers and try to get some plants, shovels, peat, etc. Wish me luck! This is such a depressed area that it's really difficult to get donations at any time, but especially now with this recession going on.

Georgia--that would be so hard for me if one of the kids moved back in. I love fast food crap and my youngest who moved out a year ago was famous for his midnight runs to Taco Bell. Not good!!

Well, still no bike and no scale. I keep telling myself to wait until June 1, but that is a cop out. I just need to do it. I know it's going to be really bad and I don't want to give up before I've begun. I need a swift kick in the arse, I guess.

I know that part of my failure was when I quit posting. I cannot allow that to happen again...all of you help me stay accountable. Thank you.

Charlotte
Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Happy Friday!

I will have only worked three days this week but I am still happy that its almost the weekend!

Last night, I came home and worked outside for two hours. I'm trying to look at how to make the outside work a harder workout while I'm doing it; kind of like making it a "Biggest Loser" thing. I moved the straw bales off the front porch (doggie shelter) and to the barn. I admit I used the ATV for assistance but I still picked them all up and carried them high to give my arms some work. I raced Duke up and down the driveway on the ATV; okay, that was my silly fun because I like to see him run really fast. I also moved three trash barrels on a two-wheeler through deep rock. Now that was a workout for the legs and back trying to drag those things through that rock. Even convinced me more of why I want that darn rock moved. Trimmed some thorn trees out of the back fence line. That was also upper arm work. No cardio though but I was wiped out after that and felt great.

My DH still does the grocery shopping. Sometimes we'll go together on the weekend but not that often. He loves it. But then he does all the cooking too.

Looks like the weather is supposed to be sunny and hot this weekend. I will finally make it into the pool tomorrow! I can start doing water exercises.

I am so excited. Yesterday, I found that there is a national club started called "Red Hats and Purple Chaps" that is a group of horsewomen and an offshoot of the Red Hat Society. AND there is a chapter started here in the Kansas City area. I'm a year shy of the Red Hat so I would be a Pink Hatter. I am so thrilled to find a group of similarly aged women to occassionally ride with. Plus, they ride in parades. How fun would that be? Not that Spanky and I are ready for parades yet but for the future.

I told DH that I am realizing this spring that I am moving into a different phase of life. I'm letting go of "career woman" and moving into the mature woman phase. Kind of like if my kids have grown and gone and now its time for me to develop myself. Except my "kids" are animals and they are still here. I especially feel that way since I walked away from the CPA exam. And I'm liking this. I am really busy but its all good. Now, to make sure that healthy living is #1 and becomes second nature.

I better get moving and off to work. to all!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Morning all - for a short week - it was a long one. I only worked 3 days but it seemed like many more than that. Looks like I will come up a little short in meeting my exercise goal (unless I really kick it in gear) for the month. Warm weather seems to represent different challenges and different exercises. I've also found myself modifying my outside work to include additional movement. I don't consider my outside work exercise as I would be doing it anyway and my body seems adjusted to it as the norm.

It's been a wonderful spring for the plants to take deep root but I'm ready for warm weather and to be able to spend some time in the pool getting in a bit of exercise also.

Looking forward to grilled lobster tail tonight - what a fantastic way to finish a OP day.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #37  

Wow, Terri, you're making some great progress and great realizations!

Carol -- grilled lobster tail sounds

Hopefully I can get off work a little early today. I'm itching for classes to be DONE already!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #38  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Hi girls! Just a moment to check in. (I hate not having internet at home, but don't have much time to get on-line anyway.)

Weight held almost steady last week, < 1lb change, but I'm doing better this week. I had a Subway sandwich last night and went double meat because I was so hungry and cals for the day were only around 1000. I shouldn't have worried about the cals - they were still about 600 for dinner, which isn't bad at all, but the SODIUM was almost 2500 for that one meal! Cow with holes in it!! That's a lot!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #39  

Charlotte and Ruth (Good to see you Ruth!) - My garden has no hoeing and little weeding. I have a tiny 4x8 raised bed! We made it out of landscape timbers, filled it with good garden soil and compost (mostly from my lawn clipping and leaves) and a little sand for drainage. We didn't even dig below it, just mowed the lawn short and put some newspaper down! My tomatoes, peppers and herbs are in planters and my potatoes are in a bin. Raised bed gardening is the ONLY way to grow!

Val! Good to see you too!

Terri - You sound so positive these days - like you are very content with your life as it is progressing. I hope I'm right there. My best friend and I have talked about being red hats some day! We've decided we like the idea of being excentric old ladies...not that red hats are excentric...but it does sound like fun.

I've got to run...but a big to everyone I didn't respond to personally and I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

OMG, Lilion, could this actually be contentment? I never thought of that as its been so long that I could really feel that way.

Great to see the happy posts this morning! to all!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #41  

Smile best thinking

I do my best thinking while I work. It is true! This morning while I was vacuuming the kitchen I strated to think about my weight and struggles with it over the years. Not a pretty picture. Anyway....I was thinking about the fact that my husband has always excepted me just as I am, he has never acted as if he was embarassed by my weight, and just drags me along with him where ever he goes. LOL! I stopped and asked myself if I would have done the same if the shoe was on the other foot. I would love to believe that I would, but I have to tell you, I am not so sure I would!
When we married I was what most people would call plump, oh yeah! I can assure you when you baloon up to 300 and over that is not pleasing or plump. I really don't know how the man does it. I would cringe. Might as well be honest. So the question is always the same, why do I let myself do this to myself? The age old question. What the heck were you thinking to let yourself get this big? I don't have a clue...that could be the problem....that and my ready to roll fork.

That is just my thought for the day. I do wish I would remember that.

I hope you are all doing well. Take care, and God bless, Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 05-29-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #42  

Having trouble staying focused? I know I am. Someone just pointed me to this oldy-but-goodie post.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...66&postcount=4

The author is one smart chickie. I hope I can heed her advice!!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #43  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hey girls...I just got home after a long week of shopping universities. If I never have to get in the car again, I will be a happy girl!

It's nice to have my big son with me. He unloaded the car already!

Whenever I go on a trip, I always come back ready to start anew. Maybe it's the change of scenery, all the activity, looking forward to add what I've learned or found to my life. This time, I'm ready to get back to making very healthy food choices and to enjoy the produce of summer, eating lighter, etc. I bought some new short-sleeved tops for myself today at an outlet mall, and I want to get out and experience some fresh air, physical activity outdoors, maybe get a kayak and go to the lake... I don't want to spend the summer indoors.

This is the summer I break past 300 lbs.!

Georgia
Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #44  

I have had a great day. My son called me a few days ago and ask if I wanted to keep my grandaughter overnight. This is just our second overnight with her.
I got up early and got busy...scrubbed the kitchen and bath. Did the dinning room and livingroom and bedrooms. Kept 3 kids and played outside..took them for a long walk.
At noon my precious granddaughter arrived and has occupied my day since. I told hubby while rocking her tonight that life doesnt get any better than this!! He just laughed at me...but she has him wrapped also!!
Food today has been great!! Water is a bit low for me.
Exercise is great today...walked over 120 min.
I count gardening as exercise but not my reg yard work.
I wish our garden was small...hubby got the big idea to make it huge. We are doing ok keeping weeds out of the part that has been gardened before but the new area is awful with grass.Looks like I will spend sunday afternoon with a hoe and rake again. I am so jealous of anyone who doesnt have to weed and hoe!!!!
hope everyone has a wonderful OP weekend.

Last edited by dgramie; 05-29-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #45  
BELIEVE!

Hi Gals!

As happens often I'm having a tough time keeping up with posts. I really need a few extra hours in the day.

I was thrilled to step on the scale today and see that I've squeaked into a new decade. I've been struggling with the 230s for nearly 2 months and today I saw 229.4! I've had a pretty great week with food and exercise and I feel awesome! Today I did eat 2 meals out....still maintaining control, however I'm not sure the scale will show me what I want to see in the morning. That's ok. I know I'm doing everything right! I feel like I have a good balance going on right now. I've got just over 3 weeks before I head to FL for a college sorority reunion and I want to have a super 3 weeks so I go there feeling and looking my BEST!

I'm mixing up my cardio a bit. I've been doing the elliptical 7 days a week for nearly the past 10 months. My trainer and I decided it's time to kick it up on the treadmill as well. So I will now do HIIT cardio on the elliptical for about 20 min on my weight days and the other 4 days I will do 45 min on the treadmill slowly working my way to a 15% incline. Yikes. Yesterday and today I really had to play with speed and incline to find the right combo to keep my heart rate up and not kill my legs. I found that currently a 6% incline with the speed around 3.3 works up a good heart rate and sweat. Today I actually did a couple short intervals of running. ME! Running on a treadmill. MAN...I felt on top of the world.

Heather....that was an excellent post by an amazing woman! I know you can take her advice!

I wish I could bottle this feeling that I have right now and send it to all of you! Each and every one of you can do it! You feel better when you are eating smart. You feel better when you are moving your body. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

OK...struggling with a certain little kiddo going to sleep.....

Lots of love to you all!
Barb
Closed Thread