Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #16  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hey! Do you remember that song Poke Salad Annie?

Be careful with the pokeweed. Just a warning for those who don't regularly eat it. It is toxic when eaten raw. The leaves need to be picked young, before they turn red, and boiled, repeatedly (three times), to remove the toxins.

Georgia
Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

My "greens" come from a bag and hopefully don't include WEEDS!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #18  

hubby wont eat the salad spring mix. He swears its weeds!! I love it!! Ate a huge amount of salad last night for dinner along with a ribeye. I ate to much food yesterday!
Gonna try and get some extra water in today as well as extra exercise. We are getting more rain by evening again. Its like we have one rain free day and then 3 or more of rain. I will never get the weeds out of the garden at this rate.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #19  

Good Morning Ladies.

Many thanks for the good thoughts and prayers for my friend and her mom. They are taking her to the university med center today to meet with the neurosurgeon. They did full body scans and found no other tumors, which is odd, because they said there's no way multiple tumors originated in the brain, but there you go. Everyone seems to think they'll do surgery tomorrow to remove the tumors. If they do, tomorrow is a holiday for us state workers (Truman Day) and I'll be off, which is good. If they do it Monday, then I have no hearings scheduled and I can take off - also good. Any other day is a problem. She's in very good spirits. Her kids aren't doing so well. It's just really all my (rather high-strung) friend can do to hold it together, so I really want to be there with her.

Terri, 8 inches is plenty deep for your garden. Many raised bed gardeners only go 6. Roots will just go down into the soil under the loose stuff if they need to. My own raised bed is about that tall on one side, deeper on the other. I'm getting tons of spinach and lettuce right now. But I'm definately late in putting in my tomatoes and peppers and zuke and beans. My peas are where my beans should go...but they aren't even blooming yet! Guess I won't do that again.

I've eaten dandilions in salad, including the blossums. And I have a friend who makes dandilion jelly - it's delish!

Sorry I don't have time for more but I need to try to get some work done today.

Last edited by Lilion; 05-07-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #20  
BELIEVE!

Hi Ladies!

Sorry I haven't been chatty this week. It's been a good...but crazy week. I am leaving in the morning to fly out to MN for the weekend. I'll be visiting my best friend of 20+ years to celebrate his 40th Bday with him. The weekend will include some food and drink indulgences...but plenty of exercise! I'll be back late on Monday and will fill you in when I have time.

Have a wonderful and healthy weekend and I'll talk to you soon!

Barb
Old 05-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #21  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi gang,

Not much to say here. I've been logging my food all month, and it seems to me to be helping me motivationally (which hasn't always been the case in the past). Pretty much OP eating here all week.

Late next week we make the trip to Ohio, which I'm not looking forward to. Even more than when we're here, when we're in Ohio my mother wants me to spend all my time doing what she's doing: sitting, watching TV, waiting for family to visit or call. She'll allow me to clean, but as far as leaving the house, she acts hurt every time I want to go out. And DH can't come with (he can't afford 2 weeks off work to hang out at my mother's house and sleep on the sofa bed) so I'll miss him, but mom won't even notice that.

Anyway. I really do feel like an awful daughter lately. I just complain, complain, complain. But I feel like I do so much and get nothing at all in the way of gratitude, and then so many of the demands made of me seem just plain old unfair. And it's the looking forward to 20 more years of the same, assuming that I live that long, that really makes it depressing.

But, I've been successfully resisting the urge to stuff donuts into my face to make myself feel better. So, that's something.

Happy Friday, all!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #22  
Renaissance Woman

Angela, I wish you a peaceful trip to Ohio. I hope you can find a way to take back some aspects of your visits with your mother for yourself.

Personally, Mother's Day is the most difficult holiday for me. I spent 10 minutes trying to find the right card to give to my mother, one that says nothing more than "Have a Nice Day". My mother is already gearing up for the day...she's already mandating what my sister and I have to do for her. I have no problems with walking out when she starts getting belligerent. I teach my kids not to put up with the behavior of bullies at school. There's no reason why I have to put up with a bully in my family.

I'm not going to be with either of my sons on Sunday. My little guy sent me flowers today, a dozen yellow tulips. I miss them both very much. When I miss them, and I'm feeling lonely, I really want to eat. A LOT!!! Sometimes I have the strength to resist the urge, but not today.

I have been keeping busy for the last two days. I'm sorting paperwork, filing stuff, paying bills, putting books away. I'm almost done with sorting everything, and then I plan to start getting all my financial stuff in order, making new goals for myself, setting up a savings plan to buy my someday-house. At the end of the day, when I'm just too tired of paperwork and I have no one to talk with, that's when I curl up with the remote and food. I've overindulged with turkey meatloaf today and now I have heartburn!

Hope everyone has an interesting weekend.

Georgia
Old 05-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Pup update - the nerve damage seems to be temporary and at this point we are holding off on bobbing the tail. It is starting to wag a bit and come up. The hardest thing about the vet visit after that great news is she needs to lose 10% of her body weight as her first goal - had to chuckle at that one. If not it is off to check her thyroid - labs are known for. The labradoodle flew through her check up with flying colors - all 64 pounds of her as opposed to 94 for the lab.

I had a can't get satisfied day yesterday foodwise. Started by eating a late lunch and not hungry enough for dinner - what a mistake - I would have been better off with dinner than trying to satisfy whatever the taste was. I think that may have been the first time that has happened along this journey - I don't like how I feel this morning either - lots of water and whole foods for me today.

The dress shopping is done and I found exactly what I was looking for. A brightly colored sundress - just need to find a cover for my arms - wow are they looking bad. I think proportionately they are now so much larger than anything on the rest of me. I do extra upper body strength and toning workouts - we'll see if the extra skin can find somewhere to dissolve.

It's a busy day here - if I don't get back I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Happy Mother's Day to all - furbaby moms too!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Hi ladies,

Is it fall yet? All this outside work is just about to do me in.

DH got dirt delivered and put into the new garden beds. I have 3 4x15 foot beds with fresh dirt! Yay! The tomatoes and peppers are planted. I forgot to do the cukes. I want to add one more skinny bed to be an herb bed. But that may not be until later so I'm going to do a few herbs in containers. We're looking forward to the fresh veggies.

Spanky rolled in the mud yesterday and was mud clods from his eyeballs to his butt. I worked vigorously for a solid hour to get him brushed down and looking decent before our lesson today. I was tired before we even got there. After the lesson, I swept and mopped the kitchen floor. Then it was time for a nap but I didn't get much of one before our local ABC station replayed Thursday's Grey's Anatomy show that had been pre-empted by tornado weather. Against DH's better judgement, I decided that tonight was the time to change the filter sand in the pool filter. OMG, what a giant pain in the butt. I spent what seemed like a lot of time bent over the filter vacuuming sand out with a small wet-dry vac. Then bending over to empting the vac and start all over. Then I had to lift 50 pound bags of sand over the fence to replenish the filter. Thank goodness that is a once every two year project. My lower back is not at all happy with me right now. A few celebrex's and it will be much better.

Tomorrow, I'm driving over to near St. Louis to see my mom for the day. I'll spend more time driving than time with her but at least its a chance to see her. She really needs to move closer. I won't get much activity in tomorrow and food will not be overly healthy. I'll just have to keep the portions small.

I better get the doggies and then myself into bed. I'm not looking forward to the drive tomorrow. At least I've got a good audiobook to listen to that will make it go faster.

to all and Happy Mothers Day!!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 05-09-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hey, any other Star Trek fans out there? I saw Star Trek yesterday and really liked it! They really did some messing with the "canon"... but I won't say more.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #26  
Renaissance Woman

Me! I'm a lifelong Trekkie! I haven't gone to the movie yet, no one with which to go, but when I get both my sons, we've got a line-up of summer movie-watching. Wolverine, Star Trek, Transformers, Terminator...

I need some girlfriends to go see Matthew McConna-honey with me!

Georgia
Old 05-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #27  

Had a great weekend. Got to spend some time with my precious granddaughter.She is really a sweetie and growing so fast!!
My son took us out to eat for mothers day and I did great,passed on all the fried stuff and went for the grilled chicken breast. Lunch today was a quick meal but did ok also. DInner tonight was a subway veggie 6". Really good and it satified me!
I havent had any real exercise but will try and get some in before bedtime. Looks like we have more rain heading our way.
hugs to all
Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #28  
Vortex

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there!

Heather, dh and I would have liked to go see Star Trek but just couldn't find time this weekend. We'll catch it sometime.... if I'm lucky, when I get back from Ohio it'll be at the theatre on the square, which only gets things after they've been at the multiplex for however long they're going to be there. If not we'll have to wait for it on DVD Glad to hear you enjoyed, though.

Broiled steak (yucckkkk!) for my mom for dinner since that's what she requested. Made for a vegetarian dinner pour moi (yumm).

Yikes, have 2 million things to do before we leave for Ohio. I'm going to try to get it down to 1.5 million before I post next.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Rough food weekend for some reason here. Have not had this type of eating since starting this journey - ready for Monday!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #30  
Vortex

Hang in there, Carol!
Closed Thread