Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #16  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Barb--Hope the potty training and sleep issues both continue to get better... big challenges! Your trip to MN sounds like fun; I was there for the first time last fall. The light was so different--it's so far north! (Can you tell I don't travel much?)
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning ladies,

I am just about rained out. I need sunshine. And more than just one day a week too. Its the first of May and its only in the 50's today. Arizona is looking better all the time; which is where DH dreams of us just picking up our stuff and moving.

I have so much outside work that I'd like to get done. All good heavy workout type of work if I could just get the weather to cooperate. We have nothing done for the garden. We were only planning on tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers but still. I've been harping on the raised beds this spring and can't get help. DH's son said he would bring his stepson and do it for us but that hasn't happened yet because of the weather. The cool thing is that I don't have to pay DH's son like I was going to pay my niece's boyfriend.

Barb - Did you get your bike back? Did you get a new kiddo cart? I so understand what you're saying about your DH and the resentment. If I could get DH out of the house for several hours, I could happily set about cleaning house with no problems. But if he's there, he's a huge distraction, and I get irritated that he's doing the blob thing in front of the TV and not even bothering to help. But when he does, then he's in my way and I'm irked by that too. Your BFF is going to be blown away! Do you have some new, hot outfit to wear that weekend? I know you'll hang in there and keep working on it and the scale will move again!

Georgia - I love your new bed. I have a new quilt coming for our bedroom. I picked out all the materials last year and my mom made it for us over the winter. I took the paint collage booklet that I used to pick out all the interior paint colors and went shopping for quilt material. She's finishing up the binding and I should be able to bring it home at Mother's Day. Were you born in the US or moved here? You have definitely lived in more exciting places than where I live - Missouri.

Angela - My parent's did nothing to help me with the weight. Occassionally, dad would suggest a challenge and then he'd lose really fast and gloat over it. But then he'd go off and gain it all back and then some. Which food log are you using? I'm resorting to just pen and paper. This is so key to success and for me, I can't get it started and stick with it. And I know its so important for me to do and yet I rebel against it. Kind of like I'm ignoring exercise at the moment.

Carol - Did your tile guy finally get the job done? Sounds like us and the pool guy. He's rescheduled three times now because of the weather. Now we're shooting for Tuesday - if it quits raining. I've got DH all psyched about Dog 'n Jog and that he can use his scooter to "walk" with us. Now to decide on which dog - rottie or bloodhound?

I better get this posted and head off to a meeting in a few minutes. to everyone!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 05-01-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #18  

Life has been so busy. I am happy to report 1400 min of exercise in april. I am even happier to announce a 2" loss on both hips and chest and half inch on the waist. Scales maybe slowly moving downward but the inches are coming off fast. I know its due to all the exercise!! I had comments just yesterday about how much more weight I had lost.
Keep a friend in your prayers she had a major heart attack and not doing good at all.
hugs to all
Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #19  

Today started our walking challenge here at work. Its done as part of our health insurance and if you complete, you get $25 on a paycheck. Runs for six weeks.

So, I've been focusing on how many extra steps I can get here at work. I figure I can get in a lot of extra steps by 1) getting up more often and 2) making sure to go the long way around to wherever I'm going. What's funny is that by doing this, I am in a more energized spot and zipping around the department AND being more productive for it. Go figure!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #20  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

dg, so sorry to hear about your friend. I'll definitely say a prayer. Congrats on the loss of inches!!

Vortex, you brought memories back for me as well. I remember my mother being angry with me when I was six and already had a pear shape. She couldn't get a shift dress to hang right on me, so she poked my behind with her sewing pins and railed on about how I couldn't eat any more. I felt humiliated and huge. My mom doesn't even remember or admit to having done that. But it's one of those defining moments for me.

Terri, I think the best thing about quilting is picking out the fabric, seconded only by getting somebody else to make it for you! I had a cook when we lived in Indonesia who made me several quilts. I'm a trained custom clothier, but I hate quilting. She loved to quilt, so I designed them and bought fabric and she'd do all the sewing for extra cash. It was quite inexpensive for me to have her do the work, but for her, it was a lot of extra cash. I think she was able to do some major repairs on her home just from sewing quilts for people.

I am an American, but my family of origin comes from Greece. I'm just a 1st generation Greek-American, and English is actually my second language. My travels around the world are due to my soon-to-be-ex's job with a major oil company. When you live in remote location, it allows for lower travel costs throughout the region, so we got to go to a lot of places close to where we lived. I've been all over South-East Asia and parts of Australia, the Middle East, North Africa and Europe. I haven't been able to go everyplace I've wanted to, but for the moment, I'm ready to not travel for a bit. It's really exhausting!

I'm up late, again. I'm spending the weekend with my best friend and we've had a delightful time. After picking her up at the airport, we headed straight for Old Sacramento, had a walk in the rain, went out for lunch (and I drank two cranberry martinis...yum!), took a drive out through the delta area, into Locke and Walnut Grove, which are historic towns along the Sacramento River. We drove over some bridges, saw a lot of egrets, marshlands and rice fields. And then we came back to my place and ate cookies and chocolates and watched Flight of the Conchords, laughed a lot and complained about men.

All in all, a satisfying all-girl day!

I'm dreading the weigh in on Monday.

Georgia
Old 05-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

All of these childhood memories bring mine back too - which are never far from the surface. By the time I was in first grade I remember being afraid to get on the scale at school with anyone watching - all the other kids were anxious to see how they weighed in comparison to each other - not me. Going into junior high was a anxious moment for me - so to help me along mom told me - you know you'll never have any friends because you're FAT, you'll never have a boyfriend because you are FAT, you'll never get a job because you are FAT. That tape still plays at times - it is part of me learning who I am without all the excess on me. When there was a disagreement or someone didn't like me when I weighed 348.5 pounds I always knew it was because I was overweight (sorry - can't stand the f*t word). Now I am learning I don't have to "like" everyone and it's ok for everyone not to want to be my best friend. The surprising thing is - mom still can push those buttons and does nearly every time I see her. Now it is more backhanded compliments - most of the time I try not to even hear them but at times the stinger still sticks in me. Terri - my dad told me - at least you don't have to go to Omar the Tent Maker for clothes now - thanks Dad.

I'm doing the happy dance - my scale has hit a new all time low this morning (yes - daily weigher here). I hope to show a nice release this week. I remember the pride I felt when I moved the big clunker on my doctors scale from 300 to 250. This morning I realized that I am much closer to moving it from 250 to 200 than seemed possible at times. Slow and steady for me. I won't win any prizes for fast weight loss.

Today is our wedding anniversary and DH is out of town until Wednesday. I think I will celebrate by some deep cleaning and a trip to Lowe's after my Saturday morning water workout. I sent him a snack basket to be delivered today to his hotel and I think will get him a new showerhead for his recently remodeled shower. Romantic huh.

Lilion - I've thought of you all week. The tile is not done - he will be back today and said he will finish on Monday. Hope you had better success than I did. This guy does great work - at his speed.

Terri - I need to register - two mile walk ok? I think we are going to have to build an arc with all this rain. There is no way I can get out and dig in it either. Fortunately DH got the grass cut Wednesday before he left - I'll try to do it again before he gets back if it dries out. That's great about the walking at work - even better that your employer promotes wellness. I've considered approaching mine about a wellness program.

Angela - good morning - how are you? Any big weekend plans?

Georgia - what a wonderful day you had. How long will your friend be visiting? I haven't watched a movie in forever - you gave me an idea for tonight. Enjoy your weekend - don't dread the scale.

Barb - do the kids sleep with you when DH is gone? These pups are going to have a hard time going back to the kennel. I'm dreading mornings next week as DH always does the morning shift with them. I plan to wear them out on a nice long walk this afternoon after my retail therapy session.

Enjoy your weekend - each and every one of you!

Last edited by gggirls; 05-02-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

hi everyone!

I am so happy to see the today! I have definitely gotten a bit off track again with the eating. Time to reign it in...
Old 05-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #23  

Morning ladies,

Maybe, just maybe, we'll have a day of no rain. But its only 50 degrees so its very cool.

Much to do today. Go into town. Buy tomatoes and cuke seeds. Check out flowers. Get tire fixed on utility cart. Drop weedeater off for repair. Don't eat donuts. Get big bale of hay out of truck. Get Spanky out and clean off mud. Take Spanky for lesson. String mow around fenceline. Pull chickweed around pool. Start on landscaping project around pool. Nap. Clean house. No time to sit and be a slug.

Deb - Prayers for your friend. Keep us posted.

Georgia - Sounds like a lovely day. Someone in our department just quit and they are moving to the United Em States of Arab (or whatever that country is now called) as her husband works for an oil company. You have done some very interesting traveling!

Carol - Two miles sounds great to me. Happy Anniversary! I think you did great on the gifts. Men love new shower heads.

Gotta go get DH up and hit the road. Back later! to all!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #24  
BELIEVE!

Hey Ladies....

Long, long day...tired, tired, tired....but want to spend a little time here before passing out. DH is playing his games as usual.

Last night I started doing a MAJOR purge of my closet. This week I bought a few new spring outfits and decided to start tossing all the too big clothes. I vow to NEVER EVER need them again so out they go. Wow...I had a lot of clothes. Considering it was difficult to find anything that ever really fit at size 26/28 I can't believe how much I had. I'm giving a huge portion to charity and the nicer stuff I'm organizing and folding to possibly consign or sell online. It's a huge release to let this stuff go.

Today I slept in late and met my Saturday gym buddy for a workout. Lots of cardio and abs. It's so much fun to have a buddy to hang out with. He's also a nearby neighbor so we are becoming friends.

After that I took Jackson (my 2yo) to a kiddo Bday party at Gymboree. He had such a good time and I caught up with several friends who I haven't seen in a long time. They were all a little stunned to see how much I've changed since the last time we were together.

Then it was dinner with hubby and kids and back out for a little more errand running. I'm finally sitting down for a bit. I'd like to watch TV but I know I'll just fall asleep.

The scale continues to be frustrating and I can't let it get to me. I keep telling myself I'm going to put it up for a week, but I am having a difficult time doing it. I up'd my ticker a pound because I haven't been able to get back to 231 in 3 weeks. I keep floating between 232-234. I'm so ready to see the 220s!

I totally survived the week w/o DH. Truth be told it was kinda peaceful around here. Carlton, our 3.5 yo, ends up in bed with us nearly every night these days. One night last week he actually stayed in his bed all night....I'm looking forward to the day when we are back to a normal night of sleep.

Terri - I hope you see the sun soon! I'm a little tired of the rain this week as well. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice and I can get out. Yep...I have my bike back and I have a new trailer for the boys. They love riding with me. Last weekend we biked the area neighborhoods and stopped ot play at the park. It was a blast. Tomorrow I'd like to get out on my own at a nearby state park. Yep...I have new clothes for the trip. I can't wait to see my friend's reaction. They are doing a walking challenge at our work too. It's a team thing but all the walking has to take place on our work campus. Because of my work and workout schedule I don't have time to walk during the workday so I didn't join.

DG - Prayers for your friend. How is she doing? Great job on the inches lost!!!!

Geo - Wow...You've had quite the traveling adventures. I'm a little jealous. There are so many places I'd like to see. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your best friend. ENJOY!

Carol- YAY on the new low!! Happy Anniversary!!!

Heather - Send the sun to me please!

HI to everyone else hanging around!

I'm gonna mosey along...G'nite.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #25  

Sun sun sun!

I have never been a gardener, but I'm starting to get into growing things. Today I planted some herbs and repotted some of my veggies. I think some of the lettuce will be ready soon... can that really be?

And I weeded a LOT in the backyard. We've never had a well-cared for yard, and the prickly weeds were out in force. I'm trying to get a handle on them this year... I did a lot of yanking and am counting some of it as exercise.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #26  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

So many childhood memories. Living with my mom last winter and this winter has been stressful and hard, but last week we had a fight (because she was micro-managing my appearance) and I realized "Oh! This really IS where my profound feelings of worthlessness come from." Not that there's any point in blaming her--my behavior as an adult is my behavior--but it's interesting that when I was in therapy I always insisted that my mother had done nothing to make me feel bad about my appearance, even though I knew that wasn't really true, but I didn't want to "blame" her... anyway, I don't know if awareness will help or not, but it felt like a breakthrough.

Terri--You asked which food diary I'm using. I actually decided to spring for one that isn't free (myfooddiary.com). So far I like it; I'll try a couple of months and if it seems to help I'll keep it longer.

Dunno if I mentioned my mother suddenly announced she wants to return to Ohio in mid-May. I'd been asking for weeks when she wanted to go back--no rush and all, but could we make a plan? And, like, Friday, when she realized her sister had returned from Florida, all the sudden she's ready to go, and she thinks I should stay there for 3-4 weeks, which is toooooooo looooooong. I have a life! Anyway, this is leading to some stress; I've got to rearrange all kinds of things so I can leave three or four weeks sooner than I was expecting. So I may be MIA even more than usual

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Angela
Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #27  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Angela, my thoughts are with you. I'm sending you vibes of fortitude and strength.

I just got back from taking my girlfriend to the airport. I'm exhausted! We spent the day walking all over town...there was a street fair and we walked about two miles, slowly, meandering all around the downtown area. It took us about four hours and it was lovely and rainy and we laughed and kept each other from making regretful purchases. We had a lovely weekend, but I'm glad it's over, because I overate, and I had three alcoholic drinks and I'm dreading my weigh-in tomorrow. I think tomorrow will start a few days of detox!

As we walked around town, my friend noticed something that I had noticed before, but I always thought it was about me. People from my hometown stared at us. Whether we walked together or apart. My friend is quite normal-looking, pretty, but not really stunningly so. When she said something about the staring, I told her that I always thought it was about me. So then a little bit later, we happened to mention this staring phenomenon to someone else who was from a different town, and she said that both she and her husband had experienced the same thing. It's just how people in my hometown are!

I need some time to process this realization. Do any of you living in a smaller town experience the same sort of thing?

Georgia
Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #28  

Hey, stop here and join us on the next thread!
Closed Thread