Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #1  

Default Newbie

Hi all, I was looking thru your forums and all I can say is WOW You all are a inspiration for someone who has been struggling for years. I am almost to my last straw with this weight thing I can't stand it.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I am 32 yrs old with two beautiful little boys, 8 and 5, and a great husband that I have been with for 18 yrs (married for 11). Yes, you read right, we have been together since I was 14 yrs old. When I met my husband I wasn't thin but I was in good shape and wasn't horrified to look in the mirror. Since having the boys I have gained about 140 pounds in all. I can't even stand it anymore. Everytime I say I am going to do it I lose about 30 to 40 pounds and then gain it back and then some. And now I am pushing close to 300 and I just don't know what to do

I was wondering if anyone would have information on what diet I should try or where I should even start. I told my husband to get the bike out of the garage and put it in the loft and I have to commit to 15 minutes a day and just DO IT.

Another hard part is I work the night shift. I work weekends 6pm to 6am. It seems like I am not able to stick to anything doing that. Well since I can't change my work schedule I have to change myself.

Please HELP me....... I know that I can meet someone on here that will just be my buddy all the steps of the way. We all have to start somewhere right

Thanks for reading and I hope to meet some great friends here....

Shannon
sfisher6920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

hello! and I am also a night owl. I work 12 hr shifts on the weekends, 6pm to 6am! I do find it a challenge that I am a midnight person and then try to turn my schedule around during the week. But, let me tell you!! I am doing it! I have lost over 70lbs so far and feel wonderful. I started at 305lbs and am now down to 231!! Now that you have made the decision to change your lifestyle....you are on your way. dont let anything stop you (like your schedule) because you are worth the change. If you put your mind to it, you can do it! I limit my calories, work out 5 times a week (most weeks) and try to eat superfoods, and whole foods. drink lots of water. you have to find what plan works best for you.. something that you can stick with for life. remember, its not a diet.....its a lifestyle change!
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Helloooo and welcome!

I started at around 340 pounds and have managed to get down to 287...it is hard at times. In fact lately I've been struggling. I'm kind of where you are "JUST DO IT," but then I realize that I'm forcing myself to do something I really don't want to do at the time. I WANT and NEED to lose weight, but when I feel like I'm doing something that is unpleasant or a constant struggle then I start to feel overwhelmed and I start sabotaging myself.

I think part of this journey is changing how we think. For example, instead of "just do it" why not "hey this is MY time and I want to do something that will make me feel good and better about myself." I'm starting to see that my thoughts and feelings really affect my weight loss journey.

I think when we set up things that we feel we must stick to, we then feel disappointed and feel like failures when we cannot. Maybe part of learning how to change our life styles comes from changing how we think. I think someone on here posted that when they don't stick to something then they just approach the next decision and/or day fresh. If they make somewhat negative choices during a meal, it doesn't sabotage them for the rest of the day because they can make better choices during the next meal. I liked that approach....

As for a "diet", it depends on what you need and want. I personally am merging into raw foodism and have already cut out dairy, so I'm a vegan. That fits with my lifestyle.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

to 3fc and especially to the 300 club.

Firstly you have made the biggest step of all realising that you want to change and no longer being the weight that you are at present.

I started my weight loss journey at 300lbs some 20 months ago and I have lost 123lbs to date. Even during this time I have not always made the best food choice along the way but like you have put I do not let that slip up be an excuse to turn back to my old ways. I mark it up to experience and start with eating healthy as my next meal.

It hasn't always been easy but it has been made possible with the great people here on 3fc who have kept me on the straight and narrow plus given me a when needed.

I use the mini goals and goals as inspiration as well if I am feeling I have a mountain to climb and see others who have succeeded it makes me realise that I can too.

with your healthy eating and staying on plan.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #5  

OMG... thank you ladies for the encouragment.. Purple, how did you lose your weight? I would love to be where you are. I am to the point that I don't just want to do it for me,but for my kids. ..HVEECK, what do you do... HOw did you get started. I would love to have a night buddy to talk to since you know what I go thru to flip back and forth.
sfisher6920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

HI and welcome..
1st let me say by doing this in your 30s it will be easier than if you wait till your older..at least for me i found losing was easier when i was younger.I am now 44 about to turn 45 in jan. I started my diet of counting calories 2 days after my 44th bday. I decided i had to do it for me..and so far i have lost 78.6 pounds. Counting calories is working great for me..i dont always make the best choices but i do my best and usually have a loss a week...I also am trying to exercise more..and for me that is a big key!! I also have to drink lots and lots of water!!! Good luck and we are here for you if you need us!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote