Old 11-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #1  

Default gallbladder removal 450 lbs.

Hi. I weigh around 450 and I suspect that I need my gallbladder taken out. I go to the doctor soon to find out. Have any of you had this surgery performed with the scope being around my weight? I am terribly afraid to be cut on and I was told a person of my size would have to have the surgery the old way. Please help me!
sweetpea0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #2  
Gone, baby, gone

S/C/G: 274/212.6/134

Height: 5'1"

I just wanted to give you *hugs* and wish you the best of luck at your doctor's appointment. My gallbladder surgery was scoped, but I had also lost *a lot* of weight without trying before I had my gallbladder out, because I couldn't eat anything with more than 6g of fat in it per meal, for about a year. (Stupid lack of health insurance!)

Hopefully your doctor will recommend a scoped procedure, as the healing time is significantly reduced. Again, good luck, and let us know what's going on.
staja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I didn't have the scope because they were just starting to use it when I had my gallbladder removed. If you do have to have the "old" surgery, you will still be ok! My situation was a little more complicated because I had a stone blocking the bile duct, but even with that I was in the hospital for five days. I was NOT in pain and I took almost no pain meds. As for being cut, sweetie, you will be asleep, won't feel a thing. I've had surgery many times for various reasons, and the waiting and dreading is always worse than the actual event. Try not to worry. Best of luck, let us know how you got on.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 346/333/220

Height: 5'7

I had my gallbladder out when I weighed about 270 lbs - and it was through the belly button! I have just three small scars from it and the recovery time was really quick.

No matter which way your have your gall bladder taken out - you will feel so much better when it's out! No more stone attacks! Good luck... and I'd be very upfront about your concerns with your doctor. He or she can tell you how they plan to do it. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you think another surgeon may be willing do to it lacroscopically. Different doctors take different approaches to the same situations.
Mama2Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 346/332/199

Height: 5'8

When I had my gallbladder out, they started off laproscopically, but it turns out I had a freakishly huge gallbladder, so they ended up having to do an incision. (Of course I didn't know about this until after the surgery). Anyway, it was still outpatient. I was sore for a couple days, but by the end of the week I was good enough to go back to work.
GrlyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

*HUGS* I hope you feel better soon. I know it is scary, but I hear that the outpatient time isn't as long as one would think. I know a few people who have had their gallbladders taken out and they all pretty much were back to their normal lives within a two week time period.

Best of luck and you'll feel much better if this is what needs to be done!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote