Old 10-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #1  
Melly Mel

S/C/G: 301/281/180

Height: 5'9

Smile Hello! Again?

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a member of these boards for what feels like ages but mostly I've lurked with a spot of getting involved.

I'm a 35-year old American expat living in London, U.K. I am pretty active and a few weeks ago I decided to face up to the fact that I was worried about the huffing and puffing I was doing going up stairs and just walking around town. Plus clothes that I'd fit in for years were no longer fitting me.

So I decided to bite the bullet and do something I'd avoided for nearly a year - step on the scale. Imagine my shock to see I'd finally "crossed the threshold" at 301 pounds!

I also did something else I'd been dreading for years - visited the doctor. Living here in London I can take advantage of the free healthcare for things like losing weight, but I just didn't want some doctor yelling at me about how fat I was. I braced myself and actually the experience was worse than I'd expected. I got a skinny condescending doctor who told me I should "eat less cakes."

I left in tears.

But then I got angry. And I called the doctor's and complained, and booked a second appointment. The next doctor was great, and I'm doing some various tests with them to see how much they can help me with weight loss.

Also, after that horrible first doctor visit I decided, "ENOUGH!" Enough feeling sorry for myself! I don't want to have had my healthiest days behind me at 35! I want to find myself next summer in the best shape of my life! Plus my little brother's getting married next July and I want to look HOT in those wedding photos!

And so, I started an exercise and a diet plan. It is "early days" as they say in the UK but I am committed. I'm doing weight training 4 days a week and cardio 5-6 days. I'm eating healthy, delicious food within a calorie range that should get me to my goal weight in about a year.

A week and a half in I have a long way to go but I'm already seeing results. I'm feeling better than I have in a long time.

Anyway, wanted to say hello to y'all. Your stories and pictures are extremely inspiring to me.

-Mel
Melgettinthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #2  
Staying Positive!

S/C/G: 398/258/199

Height: 5'3"

Hello
rkrs6673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Hugs to you Mel!! And welcome to the group!
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Mel, I hope this is the time for you! You sound very motivated to "Git er Done".

In my own personal experience please note that you might actually feel worse for a while, before you feel better. Of course everyone is different, but I went through a tough time about 1 month in where I felt terrible. Some say it was toxins leaving my body, some say it was anxiety not being self medicated by sugar and alcohol. If you go through something similar, don't give up!!!

Good luck.

Lori
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 293/296.6/150

Height: 6'

Hi Mel! I'm mostly a lurker and starting over again for the umpteenth time. I'm also an American expat. I live in Switzerland and I don't know about you, but I think a lot of my out of control eating is about being homesick. Still working on a solution for that one... Good luck to you!
Jolly Molly is offline   Reply With Quote