Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 318/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,
I'm new here too and hoping everyone's enjoying the holiday weekend. I'm so glad that Gustav is weakening down south.

Here it's lovely, warm but wih a breeze.

My goal is to walk on the treadmill for increasingly longer periods of time every M, W & F. I started out slow last week because I've been a couch potato for the last few years.

I didn't really want to walk on it today and tried at first to talk myself out of it but then I ended up strong arming myself onto the thing. I walked 10 minutes, not very long but still longer than I've been doing.

Another goal is to build up my stamina so I can be more active with my little grandson.

Yet another goal is to lower my blood pressure and glucose levels.

This time I'm determined to stick with it.

Thanks for listening!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #17  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie54 View Post
Anne, one more question about canning, can I freeze my blackberries til I get some more picked? What I got was only one basket full and I think I need more than that. Thanks in advance.
Yes, just measure them before you freeze them (by weight or by volume). Most years I never make jam from fresh fruit as it's usually too hot. If you're following a recipe, thaw them until just a little ice remains and cook as the recipe calls for. Sometimes you may need to cook it a few more minutes.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #18  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Good afternoon all,

I just thought I'd share something I learned while typing my reply to Debbie. Some cats like jalapeno hummus, but not all. The first one hopped up, took a sniff and took off. So when the second one hopped up I didn't even bother to move the plate. Of course he finished off the bit on the plate (I had the last carrot plain). It's pretty hot, so I'm surprised he took it.

Anyway, no time for personals, but I thought I'd give a big to IrishCoda and texscrapper!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 387/318/145

Height: 5'8"

Hello All,
Well back from a camping weekend and had a wonderful time and a wonderful birthday. Thanks! Now I see a large pile of laundry that I have to do! ugh! Just when I got it all caught up before I left. I have to work tomorrow so it will be tonight or Wednesday maybe. Girls had some homework to come home and get done before back to school tomorrow, otherwise I would have stayed probably a couple hours longer! I did NOT want to come home. I tried to convince hubby that I would come after work tomorrow and stay at the camper for a couple of days so I could get away, and he could come home and be with the girls! Yeah, that did not happen. He declined the offer and so did the girls! Imagine that! lol So WI sunday a.m. was up 5 lbs. hopefully will go back down, a lot of liquid I am hoping. I will check in the morning and see. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Penny
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #20  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Giggling with joy...I am making back to school lunches! Whoo hoo!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #21  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone
I was down 1 3/4 this week. yeah me!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

My goal this week is to begin exercising - I think I finally have the food portion thing under control, now I want to add something.

Just a question - when you started exercising how long and what types of exercises did you start with? I lead a pretty inactive lifestyle, so I know that I will need to start slow and work my way up.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Morning Peeps - I'm feeling a bit like Catherine this morning - almost like the first day of school for me. Actually I'm back to formal exercise class today. I'm sure I won't be so excited when I see the changes to my fitness level with 8 weeks off. It was a good break and has re-energized me for a nice long streak. Not sure how I will handle a break in the future but this worked out perfectly to take an extended break.

The scale was down .5 this morning - YEAH! Back in the right direction - will update my ticker later

Annie - have you thought about the weight of the excess skin - the LBL my trainer had took either 27 or 29 pounds of tissue - his surgeon said removing it from his legs would take that much more. You are probably much closer to goal than you think my friend.

Time to head out - move your bodies, drink your water and SMILE.

Hugs,
Carol
Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #24  

Height: 5'7"

I think today is kinda a fresh start for alot of us..I did exercise yesterday but I ended up not eating to good( pizza hut pasta and bread stick) ..I looked at my food journal and saw to many cheat meals and just to much food and bad choices at times..I have also slacked on my water the past few days..
SO here is to a fresh start
and some for us all
Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

texscrapper -- I started exercise by just "moving more". You know, rather than yelling up the stairs, I'd walk. Park a little further away when shopping.

Then I started walking more on the treadmill. At first just 15-20 min, then increased length and intensity. After a few months of that, we joined a gym and added weight lifting!

I never liked exercise, so making it part of my regular routine was an important goal for me.

You might want to join our exercise thread (all welcome!). We count the number of minutes we exercise. I started doing this after a few months, and began with 400 minutes or so. Now most months I'm doing 1200 or so (sometimes more, sometimes less!)

Last edited by Heather; 09-02-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #26  

G'morning all!

Happy first day of skewl for all involved in that! Even after being out of school since 1992, I feel like I'm supposed to do something every Sept.

The trip to Raleigh with the doggies was great. The dogs traveled very well. They played with the lab my sister has and loved the kids! The kids wore all three dogs out (my 2 and the lab). I had some tired tired doggies on the way home. I don't think they moved on the way home. We got home late Sunday.

I was tired too, but managed to mow the lawn yesterday and get stuff at the grocery store. It takes me so long to recover from a long weekend of traveling! I hate that part of it.

Seeing the family was great. I got to play games with sisters and read 2 short books. I set up Mom's Wii too. She has no concept of electronics. She and dad LOVE the Wii bowling. Dad is messed up his shoulder and has pins and such in his ankle from a previous break, so he can sit down and bowl.

Hugs and Luv to all!
Ratkity
Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #27  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Good mornin' chickies!

Anne, thanks for the reply. Hmmm...can never figure them cats out! Our male cat loves to eat popcorn and cheezits.

Annie, I'm with Carol on the excess skin weight. You could be really close and not even know it!

Welcome to the newbies!!

To those of you with losses, , to those of us struggling,

The treadmill is staring at me. I guess I will go use it.

toodles,
Debbie
Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Carol: I have thought about the skin and I think when I get to 200 pounds I will be very close to goal due to skin issues. So right now I am probably, minus skin, closer to 200 than 240. Thanks for the reminder. Woo hoo to you on loosing 1/2 pound! You go girl. I am not much of a yard sale fan but DH loves, loves them so I go with him occasionally and seem to find some good things once in a while.

Debi: I am so glad that you got to feel your grand daughter kick! What a wonderful feeling that must be.

Anne: Have a great first day back at school.

Julia: I'm glad to hear that your in laws behaved themselves. lol.

Brenda: Congrats on another -1.75 pounds! Way to go.

Texcrapper: Welcome. I love, love all the people on this site and have made some wonderful life long friends. I am looking forward to getting to know you better. As for the exercise when you first start out, I am with Heather. I started out at 510 pounds and literally couldn't do much of anything without getting out of breath. I started on my recumbant exercise bike doing about 3-5 minutes a day. Soon I was up to 30 minutes. I didn't ride it very fast at first either. Just kept it moving. Good luck to you hun whatever choice you make on the exercise and remember slow and steady wins the race. You can do it. Hugs.

Heather: I hope you are enjoying the last of summer!

Catherine: Good luck to you in school. I know you will do fantastic. As for your sinuses. My niece was here visiting from CA last week and she brought a thing I have never heard of called a "Netty Pot". She was usuing it on her sinuses and swears by it. I bought one for DH and he has been using it and feeling so much better for it. Maybe it will be something you can look into.

Debbie: Thanks for the anniversary wishes. We just relaxed and enjoyed our quite day together and took a bike ride. The first one we have ever taken together. WE also exercised together on our new equiptment. It was nice.

Irish: Welcome. So glad to have you with us. I am looking forward to getting to know you better too. Hugs.

Penny: Welcome home. Glad that the camping trip was so fun you didn't want to come back. lol.

Rat: Welcome home to you too. It sounds like you and your fur babies had a wonderful trip. I am so happy to hear it went well and you relaxed. Hugs.

Well, today I need to go pick up a letter from my Dr about my disability for Voc Rehab. They called and said it was ready for me. I am thinking about riding my bike there. It is about 5-6 miles round trip. Maybe Dh will want to go with me. We went on our first ever bike ride together yesterday and it was great to see him with me. We rode 5 miles and he said it about killed him. lol. I am so happy that we have 2 working bikes now.

Tomorrow I have my meeting with Voc Rehab please wish me luck and say a prayer that I will make the right decision and that they can help me with schooling. I also start another new job on Thursday morning at 6 a.m. It is packaging videos for Netflix customers. Should be easy enough and the hours are M & T 5:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and W, Th & F 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. I am praying I can do it while I go to school for extra money well, it won't be extra but you know what I mean. lol.

Okay, I better get moving now. I hope you all have a good day and enjoy whats left of summer time.

Blessings,
Annie
Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #30  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

Debbie54, Any fruit can be frozen and taken out later for jam, it helps break it up also and will be easier to smash up. We use our hand potato masher for that.
I posted a before/now pic in the picture thread if anyone wants to see how I am doing.
Closed Thread