Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #1  

Unhappy help and suggestions needed

Hi all I've posted on the board several times I'm in need of some health my weight is about 500lbs now and I'm having a health crisis. I'm very sick I have an infection won't go into all the details but it's caused by my weight and the heat making my skin rub and it's gotten really bad. I need to get some weight off really fast the Dr has suggested 800 calories for about 2 weeks. I was given some suggestions but I can't afford anything like optifast or shake diets. My Mom was thinking of eating a lot of soup and veggies and fruit. Does anyone know of some good things to eat that are low calorie low fat low sodium that give quite a bit of protein. And any tips that would help me not be so hungry and the cravings. I'm going to be monitored so that's not an issue. Just if the infection doesn't get better I will get very very ill. Thanks for any tips or suggestions and I know it's not the healthiest for long term but right now I have to do something.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #2  

Hi Carrie,

My heart goes out to you! Stay strong and remember you can do it!

Following your doctors’ instructions is first and for most, so if he didn't give you any specific recommendations or restrictions, I'd suggest cottage cheese for protein (1% or non-fat). I often eat cottage cheese for breakfast particularly when I'm not hungry or in a hurry. You do have to watch the sodium though, cheese has its share of salt.

My other protein staples are chicken, tuna and in a pinch, peanut butter.

Be sure to drink lots of water. It will help take the edge of hunger and the fluid helps to cleans your system of toxins as well as aiding in digestion, etc... When I can't stand plain water, I make a large mug of strong green tea and dilute it to make ice tea.

My last thought, consider low-no carbs for the two weeks. I recently tried the South Beach diet and lost 12 pounds in two weeks. The plan eliminates most carbs and sugar (also most white foods) and I found that I did not have cravings. Eating the foods suggested in phase 1 really kept me full so it was easy to stick with it, plus I kept saying "I can do anything for two weeks, I can do this, it's just two weeks".

Keep posting, we're all pulling for you! You can do it!

Miz M

Last edited by mizm; 07-11-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: grammar
mizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #3  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i'm not a doctor, and i might not be understanding what caused the infection you are referring to, but i also have had very painful sores from skin rubbing together, i forget what it was called (and maybe its not even the same thing) but i used balmex.....(ONLY BALMEX not any other diaper rash cream) to take away the pain and discomfort. within seconds i have relief. of course you should ask your doctor if it would be okay to use.
i would say imitation crab meat is a good protien (if you like that sort of thing) i love it. navy beans, chickpeas, limas and black beans have protein and fiber. also Kellogs Special K20 protein water is a godsend for me.

i agree with everything mizm said, and i would add, it might be a good idea to make a pot of veggie soup (no meat) as a go to food for when you want to eat but arent really hungry. when i first started my wl journey i made a pot almost every day with a bag of frozen mixed veggies, diced tomato, beef broth, pepper and brown splenda. it was great and it kept my mouth happy and my stomach full. kinda fooled my brain cuz it was like i was eating all day but it was okay because it was good for me. i wish you the very best of luck and will be thinking of you. please keep us posted.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #4  

Thanks MizM and pipernoswiper, You both had good food suggestions!
The thing I have is a fungal infection it's everywhere my underwear hits and other folds of skin. The Dr gave me a fungal powder and cream. But the infection went to my blood stream somehow and now I have a huge bump under my skin that is very painful. So it's looking like I'm getting sepsis. She took blood work and will find out exactly what's going on. I've just been having a lot of health problems in the last year in a half and not taking it seriously but this is kinda bad so I need to wake up. Again thanks for the help.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

2muchbackend-
Something to try with your 800 calories with your fungal infection- I had a yeast infection of the skin... i first got it while i was pregnant and losing weight... I had to stop eating sugars, avoiding vinegars-no breads- and no potato chips- sigh... only the occasional whole wheat pasta's...

Tuna is an excellent source of lean protein- and eating an entire can at one meal is actually acceptable- you can do lots of different recipes with Tuna- such as lemon pepper seasoning- the trick with tuna is the more heat applied to it the less fishy it tastes- so drain it and start doing it on the stove with some lime juice for mexican flare or a tiny bit of olive oil

Best wishes to you
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #6  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome -- I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles you're having! I agree that drinking lots of water is a good idea -- in general, but also to help you fight your hunger and clean out your system.

I definitely second going low/no carb for the next two weeks -- I did so and dropped about a dress size in a month WiTHOUT exercising (then I started an exercise program and lost more, but it worked even on no exercise besides daily activity). It will also help with your hunger and desire to eat -- after two days or so, your cravings should decrease noticeably. Eliminating the sugar from your diet (even sugar in the form of bread, rice, etc.) can really, really give you perspective on how you' ve been eating (I basically discovered precisely how and why I regained 10 lbs from the 85-90 I'd lost). That knowledge is powerful.

What is your activity level? I realize you're fighting this infection, so much movement might not be possible, but fyi there ARE workout videos for people with limited mobility (for whatever reason) -- you lift weights, but remain seated throughout the workout. Try googling those -- if you can build muscle, that will help you drop some fat too.

In terms of food suggestions that are high in protein and relatively low in calories -- I'd say fish is a good bet, chicken, tofu (I love tofu and have eaten A LOT of it on my weightloss journey), nuts (raw, unsalted for snacks). I'd also stock up on strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, unsweetened yogurt, dark, leafy salad greens, olive oil and vinegar, etc.

I wish you the best of luck -- I'm sure you will be able to do this; not that any part of weight loss is EASY, but getting started is often the toughest part bc youre still figuring out what might work and what your needs are. I would suggest really devoting a day or a night or a whole weekend to really researching different diets and plans and figuring out what will work with your personality, etc.

Also, I just wanted to add: I hope you become a permanent member of the forum, bc this place is a great resource (for practical information as well as emotional support and motivation).

Last edited by KLK; 07-11-2008 at 12:25 AM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I cant really add anything extra ..you have been given great advice!! I eat alot of salmon..just baked. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing!! Join us in our weekly thread!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #8  
Soon to be Slim

S/C/G: 305/304/150

Height: 5ft 7in

I hope you are feeling better really soon!!!
ShrineLadyKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #9  

Thanks so much for all the help I feel a lot better today the antibiotics are most likely starting to work. I also feel less doomed I have a chance to turn this around. I started the diet today. So far ok.
Again Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #10  

I agree with the other poster's suggestions, lots of lean meats (preferably poultry) and fish for your protien and veggies. For some really good soup ideas, try google-ing "zero point soup recipes". It's Weight Watcher's stuff, but the zero point soup is basically a good homemade all-vegetable soup and there are a number of variations. It's filling, low-cal and good to go to for a hot meal.

Best of luck to you! You can do it!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 383/383/373/150

Height: 5'4"

You already got some good suggestions. Have you ever tried the South Beach Diet?? Phase 1 might be good for you to look at. Just an idea. Its really what the gals have already said. Lots of fish, chicken, veggies and good carbs along with water. Phase one is no breads or fruits then you add those back in after the first 2 weeks. Lots of folks lose quite a bit the first 2 weeks. Anyway ...just a thought.

I also have gotten rashes and infections and know where your coming from but yours sounds just horrible. I've learned to use lots of Gold Bond or other medicated powder and/of antiperspirant and apply it once or twice a day in Summer to the areas that are prone to sweat and rub or overlap. Really trying to keep an infection from happening. It's painful and I really feel for you. Hope you feel better and you heal well and quickly.
Blessings!
jusfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My doctor put me on an 800 calorie diet one time because of extremely high blood pressure. No salt was allowed , I don't remember exactly what I ate
except for a few things, I could eat eggs with a little pepper and no salt. Salt free bread and salt free butter were nasty so I didn't eat bread or butter that automatically meant less calories,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #13  

i get these infections too quite often No fun at all....i use the pure cornstarch baby powder and sprinkle some in the skin folds after my shower and it helps keep the area dry.
Jayme31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 360/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

yeast infections feed off yeast in your body. I second everyone who is advocating South Beach. The first few weeks off simple carbs can be emotional **** as your body detoxes...but stick with it. It will only help in the end.

BEST OF LUCK and keep coming back. :-)
NuevaVida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

I even take the blow dryer to the skin folds and arm pits areas..it really helps dry them before putting on cornstarch or powder. I have noticed as i lose weight the skin folds are worse ...
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote