Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #1  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #149

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #2  
Anne

Good morning all,

I have no time at the moment, but will be back later. I bought a set of weights this morning at Canadian Tire (not as bad as it sounds). Between my trip out and not getting up quite as early as I expected... well, I'm kind of behind schedule at the moment. Once I've got this morning's treadmill done I'll try to pop back in.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday. It's pretty cold here, but sunny, so that's better than nothing.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Morning!

It's my exam week here and I have no exams to give today, so I'm grading all day. I managed to oversleep by two hours though, first -- oops! I clearly have not yet lost my hour for the time change!

Anne, I hope we all manage to catch up to ourselves!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #4  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

BEARCUB, I'm so very sad to learn about your loss. A special friendship that has endured so many years is unthinkable to have lost, but a treasure to have had. I wish there were words to help you heal, but I pray that your memories of good times will sustain you and uplift you. I'm so very sorry.

Well, time change or no, husband at the house or not, I made it to exercise this a.m. Doing better, although not as good as I have or will again, diet-wise. Yesterday would have been good... except for the raspberry zingers.

Oooo! Oooo! OOOOO! Gabe alert! We ventured out of the barn on our first ever real live actually trail ride, and ended up going where he hadn't even been before. HE WAS FANTASTIC!!!! I couldn't believe how calmly he took everything. He was kinda put out that whatever horse(s) was in front of him it was moving so slow, but with 14-16 inches of snow to wade thru... It didn't stop Mr. Legs, tho! And he didn't spook at ANYTHING. At the top of the hill there's a semi-truck parked, and the way he looked at it as we came up the hill towards it made me think I was going to end up walking back to the barn. But he actually PASSED the other horses and went towards it first! He looked at everything with his head high and his ears forward, just fascinated. But he never spooked. I have t admit that it really thrilled me to hear one of the other riders exclaiming how incredible he looked, just striding through the deep snow, bold and fancy. Just as we got back to the barn, a flock of geese leapt off the pond squaking and the dog came trotting in to view, and he startled briefly, but he didn't shy or snort or spin or anything bad. It was an unbelievable ride, even tho we never went above a trot. I'm using the experience to motivate myself today. Focus and refocus, right?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #5  

w000h0000 Val!!

What a WONDERFUL Gabe story. You and he are coming along nicely and learning it's ok to have fun and do lots of cool stuff together.

Go Girl!!

Luv,
Ratkity
Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #6  
Anne

Hello all,

I'm starting this in the morning, but it will likely be the afternoon before I post it. I've got my 60 mins treadmill down, and had two meals so far. Well, technically three because I split breakfast into two parts (before/after shopping). I'm really not used to making a point to split my food into 6 meals, although I thought I'd give it a try on the days I'm going to do the lifting routine. I'm torn between doing too little with the weights and doing too much. In the end I'll start with no weights for some and low weights. The worst it can be is ineffective. Although I suppose with starting out it's better. Too rough and I'd be tempted to not continue.

It's a beautiful day here, sunny but still quite cold. I think we're all just so darn sick of the snow this year. The Toronto paper this morning says that they still didn't reach a record snowfall at the airport, but it's still over 200cm this year so far. That's just shy of 79 inches. I just looked up our average annual snowfall and it's 51 inches (according to the tourism board), so it's more than we're used to.

Angela - congrats on the one pound. Every one counts you know. Although I sometimes think of goals, I think the best goal is to simply be lighter each month. Even if it's a pound or two on a bad month eventually you'll reach your goal. I try and remind myself of that when I'm overwhelmed by how far I need to go.

Val - I do kind of miss fast food, although I was never a fries person. There was a lovely coupon set in the mail today for McD's, which I promptly tossed in the recycle bin. I'm not even sure I liked their stuff, but boy did I eat a lot of it.

Bearcub - I'm so glad your cat is doing well. We had one that I used to call 'The thousand dollar cat', but they become family. I'm sorry that the death of your friend is hitting hard. I know that when you're not feeling well, everything else seems worse. You will eventually remember the good times, and remember, she would want you to remember those times fondly, not with sadness.

Heather - I understand you being busy, but I should have plenty of free time. Some days I think I do nothing more than eat, exercise, and work on the computer. The only good thing is that the eating is good, and the exercise is better. Hope you get out from under your work a little. Being behind on a Monday is never a good thing.

Val - sounds like a great ride. How great is it that you have a form of exercise (riding) that is giving you so much joy. I mean, I like my treadmill... but it's not quite so much fun.

Ratkitten -

Well, that's it for me, and it's still before lunchtime. Wish me luck for my afternoon exercises. Today I'll be doing squats, push-ups, bent-over rows, step-ups, and the one that I think will do me in - prone jackknife (this is done on a ball, which I'm not used to working with). Hope everyone is having a good Monday.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts. It does help.
Val great ride. Isn't it nice to get outside and be able to enjoy the daylight and warmer temps? Of course, March can be treacherous. My sister lives in Ohio and they had to endure 20 inches of snow last weekend! But the good thing is, we can all look forward to warmer weather soon now.
Did you know that it will be over 200 years before Easter comes this early again?
Heather I remember exam week - I liked the days I didnt' have kids but the hours of grading---oooh. I always kicked myself for giving too many essay questions. Keep up the good work! Those of us who have been there really appreciate all the work you do!
I think I've been doing pretty well on the diet. We'll see next week.
Keep all fingers crossed.
Have a good week all.
Bearcub
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #8  

Smile missing Terri!

Good morning ladies, How are you?

I have been cleaning my stove and fridge this morning. UGH! Took everything out of the fridge and washed the whole shebang. I don't have the cleaning lady touch those two things, that's my job! Can't say I enjoy it, but she can break and mess up more stuff! She managed to break my power head to the central vac system, she put it back and didn't tell me. Wow! was I mad. 350 bucks for carelessness. She said she didn't know it broke, yeah right!

I really miss Terri. I wish she would come back, but I know it can get hard to juggle everything at one time. We have lost a lot of very nice women over the last couple of years. The sad thing is that we don't know what happened to them.

I am just going to say hello to everyone this morning and move on. Take care....Ruth
Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I've been hemhawing around about how long my "break" was going to last. I'm really enjoying breaking the habit of spending too much time on the computer. However, I miss posting about things.

I am so loving the fitness center. This is my second week. Tonight I did 25 minutes on the treadmill and then 30 minutes on the recumbant bike. Then about two minutes on the elliptical. I hate that machine! Some young girl came in and she got on it and was just flying - making it look effortless. And I thought I would die after two minutes.

I've also drug out my pilates DVD. I love those and not really sure why I quit doing them. I started those this morning. Those are good morning exercises to do.

I'm hoping tomorrow night to ride a horse. I haven't ridden in so long. I have to work up my nerve again. And I sure the heck am not riding spook boy. Its supposed to be 70 degrees so its TIME TO RIDE! It feels like months since I've even fooled with them.

Anyone watching Biggest Loser? The women just don't have a chance against the guys.

I need to go do some studying or else I'm not going to be sitting for the CPA exam. Truthfully, anything "career" oriented is not exactly motivating to me since we are now back to the jobs at risk state again. I am so disappointed about that too since for the first time in several years, I was really enjoying work. I celebrate 20 years with the company in May and the possible pay off package is too good to walk away from. So its wait and see what happens next.

to all!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #10  
Anne

Good afternoon all,

Well, I finished the 2nd set of workouts from my new torture. Kidding, mostly. I started on Monday, and did fairly well. Except for the prone jackknife - which is done on an exercise ball. I kept falling off the blasted thing. A friend suggested letting a little air out of it, which I did today for the crunches. I realize that I likely won't have as many problems with the strength exercises, until they require flexibility. I'm not blaming it on my age, but my bodyweight. Having said all that, I remember that even as a child I wasn't all that co-ordinated either.

Ruth - I keep thinking of cleaning out the fridge. It's not that bad, since this one has glass shelves, so you tend to keep them cleaner to begin with. I think over the years we've got rid of a lot of the extra things that seem to float around. Can you tell I'm just trying to talk myself out of it? The stove cleans itself (well, the inside).

Terri - I understand wanting a break, the computer can become an obsession. And you're not out being active when you are sitting in front of it. I always think I'm lucky that I can see the treadmill when I'm sitting at the desk. It's a constant reminder that I need to stop typing and go use it. I know that some people use good payout packages to kick start another career. Is that where the CPA exam could lead? Enjoy your time in the good weather. Our sunny day here is just above freezing with a ton of snow cover, so outdoor activities are a bust... unless you like winter activities.

Well, I think that's it for me at the moment. We'll see how sore the muscles are in the morning. There were quite a few twinges yesterday, but I suppose I will eventually get used to it.

Take care everyone. Oh, and a big wave to those who are too busy at the moment to post - hope it's for good reasons.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #11  

Terri and Anne, you girls are soooo good. I skipped the workout today. I just had too much laundry to do - 8 loads had to be done! It was all left over from when I had the flu. So i sat at the laundromat and watched my clothes work out while I read! I'll have to go back in either tomorrow or Friday. Probably tomorrow morning looks good.
I've lost a couple of pounds though, according to the doctor's scale. i hope that holds true when I go see the weight doctor next week. I never lose as much as he thinks I should. But I am happy with anything.
It's getting warmer so it's nice to be out. I also can open the windows and air out the house. It's time to get out in the yard and do some work!
I hope you can get out and ride Terri, I know you enjoy that so much.
Well, must break away from the computer and do some work around the house. Have a good one!
Bearcub
Old 03-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #12  

Smile Good morning!

Good morning ladies, How are you today?

I am doing much better as far as the leg pain goes. The scale seems to be stuck though. It is sitting right on 290 and won't budge It has been there for about two weeks and no amount of less food or more will make it go down another pinch. Just aggravating! Ah well, I just have to be patient, right?

I don't have any big plans for today. I woke up very early this morning and finsihed ironing a basket of clothes. I know, everybody thinks I am nuts! I just look for something to do to pass the time.

Anne, cleaning the fridge out is something I do on a regular basis, but I don't always take everything out and wash it. I only do that occassionally. I like to go through every Monday and see what needs to go in the trash , if anything. Ever so often we do a leftover day and try to eat all the little bits of things that have been put back. As long as it is still good that is. I also make soup from leftover veggies.

Terri, I was glad to see your post! I miss the doggie stories. Oh, and you haven't mentioned Spice in a while. How is she? Grown by now I suppose?

Bearcub, Val, Angela and Heather. Hope you are all having a wonderful day.

Ta for now....Ruth
Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning ladies,
I am thinking about getting an exercise ball. I have been jumping on the minitramp and doing a series of weight on the machine we have down stairs. I can really tell my body is shrinking but my middle could use some help. My legs are really toning up and so are my arms. My hips are going down but I need something that will work my middle.I guess I could just work out the oldfashion way...but thats no fun. Any suggestions??
debi
Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #14  

Default Hi Ladies! Its been a while!!!

Hi Ladies!

Its been a while but i'd like to come back. I have lost no weight but working on other things, my psyche andd such!!! so I think its time to dip my toes in again. I have started by simply making better choices.

getting kashi foods - I find their diners are filling and even though my mouth wants more I am actually FULL. its weird from a nuke dinner.

and I am doing my best to make better choices. e.g. this morning I took my dogs to the groomer and I traditionally go across the street to get decaf and a french toast bagel. I looked - pictured it on my thighs and decided on the decaf alone. came home and had a bowl of kashi autum wheat.
know I have to read all the ingredients for sugar etc... but so far almost everything they make tastes great to me! and no I don't work for them.

I have given up splenda - if I want sugar I will have a bit.

sunday I went out for brunch - had eggwhite omlette spinich and tomatoes and fruit on the side instead of home fries and bacon.

I am realizing (finally believing) from my freinds who have indeed dropped a large amount of weight that of course its the little choices that add up....

I am considering surgery but i really dont' want it. another freind thought so too then tried ww again - coudlnt' make it work for her andhad the surgery in august... she is shrinking before my eyes.

BNut I really do not want surgery.

so I have to change my life style - I have been a ww member 12 times at least in my life... so perhaps its time to follow the susan plan and find out what that is....

for now its make the good little choices.... minute by minute.

Have a great day ladies - I will read the other posts and comment on them soon!

Susan
Old 03-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #15  
Anne

Good afternoon all,

I'm completely out of energy today. I found myself struggling with the treadmill this morning. I've been toying with the idea of giving myself two rest days this weekend, but we'll see. The muscles aren't as sore today, but we'll see how tomorrow's exercises go. I'm just feeling a little pooped today.

Bearcub - the exercising is something I mentally struggle with a lot. Right now my lifestyle is very sedentary so I just keep reminding myself that I need to do it. I'll likely cut down some of it in the spring, if it ever gets here. I might just switch over part of the treadmill time for swimming. But real swimming, not just leisurely stuff that I usually do. I'm sometimes surprised I've kept it up so well. Congrats on the 2 pounds.

Ruth - I'm glad your leg is better. I seem to have dropped into a routine. I lose weight fast (like 5 pounds in 8 days), then I cruise at the same weight for a week or two. Depending on when my TOM is the cruising can be shorter or longer. I just take a deep breath and continue on. I was getting to a flattening point this week when I changed both what I'm eating and the exercise I was doing. It's been kind of interesting watching some of it. Perhaps you'll see a change now that your leg is feeling better. The body loves to hold onto water during muscle repair. Hopefully that's it!

Debi - you might as the question on the fitness thread. I suspect what some might say is that just continue losing the weight and the rest will come. Although certain exercises may tone certain areas, fat loss is the eventual cure for carrying that extra weight on a certain part of your body.

Susan - everyone is welcome, all the time. I know it can be hard to keep posting when you feel you aren't working on the weight loss, but in my own experience it just made it easier to gain back some of the weight I'd lost. I'm like you, at times I've considered surgery, but I'm a huge chicken in that respect. It's a tool that works for some people. Making better choices, which you've started to do, is part of that as well. Finding a plan that works for you is the first step.

Last edited by RealCdn; 03-13-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Closed Thread