Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #1  
weight watching

Default What are your challenges....

.....and how have you overcome (or how are you overcoming) them?

Hi! I'm rejoining. I'm on Christmas break (I'm a teacher) and have about a week where I KNOW I'll be able to post whenever I want -- hope to start a new habit.

In thinking about what I'm going to do right this time, and what's gone wrong before, I've come up with a few challenges -- things I always let derail me. The answer to overcoming them is just doing it, I'm sure, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

1. Trying to be PERFECT and do everything at once. (So easy to stop the first day or two one doesn't score 100 on everything.)

2. Not having a schedule -- I've gotten into a 20-year habit of grabbing food when I want it and not cooking proper meals. The solution is to stop it, but I haven't worked out the details yet.

3. A sister of number 2 above: grabbing snacks, or anything that's quick, rather than cook.

I have solved one of the challenges of my youth, which is weigh myself every 3 hours AND give up if I didn't lose 2 or 3 pounds in a week, so there is hope.

Anyone else have challenges like these? What are your challenges and potential stumbling blocks?
Bloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

You're right we all have 'em. I think embedded in the challenges you list, and the challenges I have faced, is the need for a plan. For every challenge I face, I think of ways to set myself up for success, rather than pretending I'll do better the next time I'm face with the same challenge, having made no changes.

There are lots of challenges, but here are some tactics I use to head off mine:
I plan my breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner. I bring my food to the office, and make sure to have on hand healthy and delicious snacks to quell hunger before it goes into the danger zone. There are snacks available at home, office, and car. I have in my car small bags of nuts and dried fruit chews. Even though the "diet" wisdom says don't eat in the car, if I'm running around without a proper break to eat, it's better to have something filling and healthy on the run rather than drive through for fast food.

Why don't you join us in the weekly threads. We're talking about challenges and solutions there on an ongoing basis.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 AM   #3  
weight watching

I agree that planning is key. I'm getting better at the planning part. It's still the execution that's shaky

I think your idea of having snacks on hand is part of the planning. I'm trying to pack snacks, and bottles of water and "mix ins" for flavoring (I haven't been completely weaned off sugary drinks yet). I'm getting better at this, but I'm not quite there yet.

I will join in on the weekly threads, although I tried that when I was here last and quickly got lost in them I like them, but I like the topic/question threads too -- I always learn from reading what others are doing.

Last edited by Bloomer; 12-28-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Bloomer is offline   Reply With Quote