Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #1  
Reclaiming control!

S/C/G: 337/siggy/185

Height: 5'11

Default Fun Classes / activities

So I really want to take some sort of 'active' class/activity to help me with my physical fitness and weight loss. As an obese person, you have to look at things in a whole nother light sometimes.

I LOVE to dance, and have considered taking hip hop dance although I think I may wait a little for that since I need to work on strengthening my knee.
I was thinking about taking a martial arts but not sure if that is plausible given my size.

Tennis? Maybe a beginning tennis class.

I need ideas. What are some things that you have done, or considered doing. I want to do something 'physical' and 'fun' that I can stick with in addition to going to the gym. I want to get 'out' more and I think that if I can find a class that is twice a week or so, I would be more apt to sticking to my weight loss regimen.

Thanks.
MyBodyisMyTemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I am in the same boat right now and am researching so I will let you know what I find.

I was doing a yoga class at my gym until there was a bunch of drama with the trainers and the teacher got fired. I enjoyed that a lot. It was a fairly beginner class and the teacher was helpful in modifying postures that I had trouble with.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

DANCE!! I've been taking ballroom for awhile and I really love it! Any kind of dance would be beneficial!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Jen - Do you do that with a partner or on your own? I would love to take some form of ballroom but I feel really awkward about the whole partner thing.

While I was searching around during lunch I checked out Nia (a dance/ martial art/yoga fusion class) - which I have had more than one person mention (not sure if it was here or on another board). I found a local class and emailed the instructor. They have classes at a local gym on Saturday mornings, but she said I don't need to be a member to attend. I am going away this weekend, but will try and check it out next Saturday. How exciting!

Last edited by NotTheCheat; 10-22-2007 at 04:39 PM.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #5  

Our Y has a weight lifting class called Bodypump that is a lot of fun and another class called Bodyflow that is Yoga/tai chi/pilates. The cool thing about the Y is that there are all sorts of fitness levels in the classes and they are great at adaptations.

The other thing that looks great fun, but I haven't tried it, are Zumba classes.

Last edited by luja; 10-23-2007 at 08:43 AM.
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

Belly dance is a good exercise, and it's inclusive enough for all body types and sizes.

How about roller skating at a roller rink? They have "themes" like R & B night, old-school funk night, Christian night, etc. I prefer to skate to R & B music.

Soon, it will be time for winter/snow activities, if you live in the climate for it. Then you can go ice skating, sledding, cross-country skiing.

Hiking or biking are nice in the fall, too.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote