Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #31  

The scale is evil. I've decided to have the hubby hide it until Jan 1 and I will do a weigh in then, because it is just too darned discouraging to get on that thing every day knowing that I am exercising and have made changes to my eating habits and NADA happens. So I will find other ways to monitor my progress.

You guys are right about the skills for Survivor - I've wondered that same thing. If you knew you were going on, wouldn't you at least learn how to make a fire? And dress for the big adventure?

Oh dang storms are blowing in. Looks like I need to log off and unplug. I had a computer get zapped during a storm once and now I am super paranoid!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Luja - Good idea about putting the scales away. They can be so distracting and so defeating too. We need some of your rain. We've been on the very tail end of storms this week and have barely gotten a sprinkle.

Its Friday. Again, I did no cardio exercise this morning. Not sure why I'm so lazy in the mornings this week. I'm leaving early this afternoon and we're going out to eat Mexican with friends. I'll plan on walking dogs in between getting home and leaving again so that I will have gotten some exercise in.

I have become a cereal lover. I have not eaten cereal in years. I've had Kashi Honey Puffed grain something or the other and then Kashi Strawberry Fields. That one was really good but it does not have all the fiber and protein that their other cereal does. DH just bought me Kellogg's Weight Loss cereal with strawberries. That is really good too. I never was a cereal kind of kid. I wasn't into corn pops, Count Chocoula, Raisin Bran; it was either cheerios or corn flakes. I have to go to Wal-mart today so I think I'll get some different Kashi cereals. DH loves getting up and fixing me breakfast but his version is bacon or sausage, egg, and toast. I am so bored with that plus there is so much extra calories. I am limiting that to the weekends where we generally only eat twice a day.

The puppies are all crashed out which is unusual. I left Ruby in the back yard last night and she must have been out moving around because at 1:30 am, Dixie started barking and then all of them were barking. I put them out and went back to bed. Poor, poor dogs had to be outside the rest of the night. They must not have slept too good outside.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #33  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
*raises hand* I don't know how to use a sewing machine!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luja View Post
Lilion - no sewing skills here either.
See, And I'm amazed! You know, Sewing was always just something that I knew how to do. I learned on my mom's machine before I ever took Home Ec. In fact, I failed Home Ec! Of course, that could be because I hated the teacher and she hated me and it was entirely personal...She was a total witch, and at 15, I was gutsy enough to tell her so! And I didn't get in any trouble for it either - I'm sure she knew her behaviour was bad enough to excuse mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined to succeed View Post
Lilion - We will be anxiously awaiting to see your finished product. That is a beautiful style of gown. I am a former sewer. My patience is short and get frustrated easily when something doesn't go right or fit right when its done. I needed to learn how to adjust patterns to fit me and never did. I finally decided that my real passion was buying the pattern, material and all the notions - not the sewing part!
In doing the medieval costumes, we don't really use patterns. True medieval period stuff is all tunics and rectangular construction and when you get on the fitted stuff, it's supposed to be skin-tight and that works better if someone pins it right too you. I can sew with a pattern, but there's always extra fitting involved on the fabric. But a rule of the best seamstress of our group always amuses me - Never sew without wine!

Anway ladies, I hope you've all had a good week. I was MIA yesterday because work was really busy and I'm helping train a new hearing officer. The day actually kind of flew by. Not that I really got much accomplished, other than conducting four hearings.

Terri, I love Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. Without doubt my favorite cereal - that I can eat with little guilt. I know Heather loves Kashi Go Lean Crunch. I haven't tried it yet. I granola best of all, but it's SOOO high in calories! I used to love Survivor but I kind of skipped the last two seasons. My DH always says he'd like to apply to be on it, but he's probably not "pretty" enough. I agree, the people are usually idiots. You know they may decide to drop you off in the clothes on your back, but you wear a cute little dress and heels? Or a suit? I'm with you. I'd dress in layers and comfy shoes! And in all these years, WHY has no one ever tried to start a fire using their eye-glasses? There have been people wearing glasses there! Okay, I couldn't do it with mine, because I have this computer anti-glare coating, but my DH can - and has - done it with his. Last year they couldn't even start a fire with flint and magnesium? You have to SHAVE OFF little spliters of the magnesium and then the stuff burns like crazy with just a spark. It's fairly obvious that none of them have any basic craft-type skills. In any "survival" situation, you worry #1 about water, #2 about shelter, #3 about food. In that order. It just annoys me. I could do better.

Maybe I should apply!

Patti - That must be one great tree skirt! I suppose I'm a bit more crafty than some people. I'm just good at figuring out how to do stuff. I can draw up plans a dress and figure out how to do it. I wouldn't attempt a modern dress without a pattern, but costuming is pretty easy for me. And other "crafty" things. I can just kind of see how to put things together. Doesn't always work out the way I visualize it, but I can do it. One thing I always wanted to learn was to follow a pattern for needle work - crochet, for starters. I can crochet, but can't understand a pattern. I stick to scarves and afgans. I can't knit either. Never learned. And I just hate cross-stitch.

Ruth - It was good to see you pop in! Now come back and say something! Sounds like you've got a lot done and more to do on the remodeling. Today I rehired the guy that did our drywall for the bathroom to come back and finish the job since I'll NEVER get it done myself! We started that dang thing in APRIL! Maybe I'll have a bathroom back by Xmas!

Bearcub - It sounds like you do the same kind of sewing I do. The medieval stuff is really quite simple. I have done simple Renaissance stuff before, like early Elizabethan bodices and skirts, but this Italian will be my first "real" fancy dress for a long while. I can't imagine how long it would take to take all those sleeves off! I could never sew assembly-line - I'd do that for sure. Just about everything I've ever made has had at least one piece sewn on upside down and ripped back off. SO annoying. I also have a nasty habit of poking myself. I've decided no project is finished unless it's got at least one drop of my blood on it!

Battleaxe - I've done a tiny bit of upholstery, but not much. I pretty much limit myself to my dining room chairs. But I really would like to know how to do that. I always see them do it on shows like Trading Spaces and think - that just can't be that hard! Maybe someday I'll learn that.

Well, it's taken me over an hour to get this written. Maybe I should actually talk diet and exercise? I've decided to take this whole thing one day at a time. Today is day one. I will journal my food and try very hard to stay within my points. Today. Tomorrow I'll start a whole new day, trying to stay within my points and so on and so on. One day at a time. I MUST get serious and stay that way. DH and I have decided. This week (meaning starting today) we start thinking about food and exercise. October 1 is the smokeout day! No more cig's beginning October 1. We've promised our son we'd quit again and he has permission to nag us without reproach if we smoke after October1.

So....wish us luck with all the upcoming endeavors!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lilion -- Re Survivor...One season someone DID start fire with eyeglasses! So... no one else tries? Or were they just really lucky?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #35  

Smile

Lilion, not only did I have to take out the sleeves from dozens of dresses, but the material was voile!!!! It was a nightmare and a half. I can't even remember how many it actually was, but it seemed like hundreds. I think I can actually blame the instructor on that one because they always had someone come around and show you how to do each new assignment before you started and I was always careful to follow directions, so I think it was her fault, but of course, it WAS my work. Oh, well. Too many years ago to worry about now. Once I was sewing on those industrial strength machines and I heard a loud CRACK! and the machine stopped. It took me a few seconds to realize that the needle had gone through the fleshy part of my thumb!Amazingly there was no pain because the machine arm had come down on the knuckle bone and numbed the thumb (rhyme!). It sounds SO much worse than it actually was. My thumb was sore for a few days and I had to get a tetnus shot, but that was it.
Now I reserve my crafting for less dangerous things.
It's another beautiful day so I'm going to take advantage and get out in the yard. Have a good weekend all.
Bearcub

Last edited by Bearcub; 09-21-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Lilion -- Re Survivor...One season someone DID start fire with eyeglasses! So... no one else tries? Or were they just really lucky?
That must have been a season I missed. I do remember them taking apart a little telescope once though and using the magnifying glass from it. I remember thinking "FINALLY someone uses a BRAIN!" I just am not much for reality shows generally. But I have to admit, I might watch Survivor this season, just to look at the muscles on the gravedigger! That man has a killer body!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 PM   #37  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

HEATHER! Welcome to the list! - LOL

On sewing, I'm not a sewer... um, sewwer? Seamstress... but the last things I attempted were two dresses for the littlest girls in my wedding. First they were way too big, then I took them in way too small. Then my step-mom, on the morning of my wedding IN the dressing room, made them juuuuust right. Thank heavens for Goldilocks and people who know what they're doing!

It's been a wild, busy week. I've been on pins and needles both preparing for the interview at the hospital, and then waiting to see if I got it. Today was last day on the old job. Monday (I got it) I start my great new job at a hospital which thrills me. Opportunity for growth, greater income and great benefits... also must deal with the possibility that I can't handle the job and won't be able to keep it. (Can anyone say Stress Eating?)

Saturday was the party from ****, which didn't turn out any where NEAR as bad as I was afraid of, because there was an open bar and I probably drank about two bottles of zinfandel all by myself. Sad but true - that stuff isn't as painfree at the weigh-in as it is at the intake.

I did have small victories this week, like at that wretched party I filled my plate with salad and green beans, and had only a small amount of chicken and potatoes. We had two big meetings at work with donuts and cookies, but I opted for just bottled water. I ate breakfast from Burger King, but I had only one egg & cheese sandwich - no bacon, no hashbrowns, no cinnaminis. The good did not out-do the bad, but at least I wasn't possessed by the fat-devil ALL the time. There's hope for me.

Yesterday I went in to my diet doc. The med assistant says "Oh didn't you know - he's retiring. Friday (today) is his last day." =O HORRORS! Because I've sat back this past two weeks, made excuses, and thought I could always fall back on the pills to regain control. It's actually a good thing he's retiring, and the timing is absolutely PERFECT! It was the slap in the face I needed to re-take responsibility for my actions. O.K. I have a supply of pills to help me get back on track and in case of future emergency, but it's not an endless supply. I am faced with reality, and this is a good time. I can focus on my health AT my new job, as well as focusing on the job itself. There are miles of halls and stairs to walk on my lunch break, and I'm hoping at some point to gain access to the workout facilities that the hospital has to offer. This is a clean start in many ways. A wonderful move forward professionally, financially and physically. It's a combination of challenges and opportunities. They will be what I make of them.

Also, I had my first chiropractic adjustment today. HOLY SHMOLY COW, BATMAN! The rock-hard knots and extreme pain in my left shoulder is GONE. The stiffness and pain in my lower back is GONE. I can just reach down and very nearly put my palms flat on the ground - which is 6-7" farther than I normally can unless I've done a lot of slow, painful stretching. He just gentle adjusted something in my neck and everything else on down totally changed! Do you realize what this means for my RIDING??? This is incredible!

And speaking of riding, Gabe has been at the trainer's for almost a week now. He told me to give him a call and come out and see how they're doing this weekend, so I hope to go on Sunday. He hasn't called yet, so either Gabe is getting along well, or he ran off with the guy and lost him somewhere in New Jersey.

TERRI, I'm thrilled to see that your back on track and going strong. I hope everyone is!!!

I'm back to day two of being responsible for my own health. I even did some exercises before work this morning, which is a good start. A guy at my old job who bakes professionally in addition to working there, made me a pumpkin roll as a going away gift. I told him "This is like offering crack to an addict." But the addict wouldn't say no, and neither did I. It was awesome!!! But I didn't go crazy and eat the whole thing. I was careful about everything else I ate to make up for the extra calories, and I know conciously that it has to be an end. I can take a pill to help me get past the sugar for a couple days, but then I have to fly on my own, and I can't do that if I don't - as someone once said - "Back! Away! From the Cookies!" so to speak.

Gosh, I "talk" too much. I'm just a little stressed, or pumped, or something. Best wishes everyone!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #38  
Patti

S/C/G: 342/299/135

Great day - TGIF! Gosh I love Friday's - after a full week of answering a million questions, I am happy to relax at home. I work in personnel in a retail store. It's a busy time of year, and only going to get busier. My goal is to remain stress-free, and to handle one thing at a time. That's the goal, and I have to practice every day.

Terri - Heather - Lilion - I love the Survivor series! And I was also amazed that Sherea (I think thats the one) didnt come dressed to be on a tv show like Survivor. But at least they sent the chicken farmer home. He was quite a chauvinist know-it-all. Looks like a good season!

Talk to you all soon - glad you are here!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #39  

Smile Hello!

Good morning everyone, glad to see you are all doing well. I am surviving all of the painting etc. Finally got all of the pictures hung back on the walls. We have moved on to the last bathroom, or rather the last in the main part of the house. We still have the one in the MIL apt. to do. It can wait awhile. We also need to put new carpet in there.

Pet peeves, do you have any? I absolutely hate automated messages when you call anywhere now. That and the places that put you on hold and play music in your ear for 30 minutes while they take a lunch break or potty break. I called a Gov. office and waited at least 45 minutes for someone to talk to me. I would think most people would give up, but I said no way! I didn't want to start all over again. GRRR! You can't even get a person at the telephone Co. without going through the whole one, two three bit. What has gotten wrong with the bussinesses in this country? Rant over.

Lilion, I can sew, I just don't like to.

Val, I love reading your post, your life is never boring like mine. LOL! Glad you got the job of your dreams.

Terri, I love cereal, the thing is that it doesn't always love me back.

Hi, Heather, rileydog, Bearcub, Battleax, and Luja I hope you are all enjoying your weekend.

Until tomorrow, Ruth
Old 09-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #40  

Good morning ladies,

I actually slept in until almost 8:30 this morning. I was up at 6:30 and put the dogs outside and left them while I went back to bed.

Oh joy of joys. I looked out the back window last evening and Ruby was running and playing with Duke, Dixie and Daisy. This is the first time she's really enjoyed being a dog. We're doing our job.

There is much to do today. I need to weedeat around the fenceline. I need to work with both Phoenix and Spanky. My old farrier is coming this morning to look at Ginger. My current farrier just doesn't seem to know what to do for her and Calvin has seen Ginger through some rough times. Calvin is our last source. He is the only one that I really trust to tell me the truth. He won't say to put her down but he will tell me what it will take to get her to walking without pain. Either it can be done with heroic efforts, or easily done or not done at all.

There is laundry to be done. Housecleaning since we're having DH's #1 son and wife over for a birthday dinner tomorrow night. Its time for fall cleaning both inside and outside.

I definitely need to work off the big breakfast we just had. I won't be eating lunch that is for sure.

Valerie - Congrats on the new job. My sister works for a big hospital in Springfield MO and she loves the perks. My career goal has always been to make it to 55 at my current employer, take my retirement and go to work in a hospital. OH hey, I see that Clinton Anderson's facility in Belle Center OH is for sale. Maybe we can go in together and buy it. Wouldn't that be amazing to have?? Bet the price tag is pretty

Ruth, Patti, Lilion, Bearcub, Luja, and everyone else - great to read all the posts this morning. I'll catch up with replies later today.

Have a great Saturday!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #41  

Morning ladies,

I'm up early and trying to be productive. I've got a load of laundry in and should be doing housework.

Yesterday, Calvin never showed. I am very disappointed. He called at 8 am and said he was taking a nap (???) and would call when he's ready to leave. He is about 80 miles from us and this was a special trip (that he volunteered to make BTW). He never called back. I left a message at 1:00 and no call. This is so typical. But I really need his expertise for Ginger.

DH's brother was down yesterday and they got quite a bit accomplished on getting things put up for the summer. I took the string mower down to the end of the pasture by the road and cleaned out the fenceline. Then I had to walk it back up to get out of the gate and back down the driveway to work on the weeds on the other side of the fence. I got the whole area in front of our place all trimmed and looking nice. Except I was absolutely wasted after that. I did get a few small things done later in the afternoon but my shoulder muscles were killing me. I think I need that chiropracter adjustment that Val just had. I have all the housework to be done today before #1 SS comes. Fortunately, that's not until 5 pm and they won't hang around long. DH's family shows up in time to eat and then they leave.

I better get up and get motivated. Get the housework over with. DH won't be much help today; football will be on.

Have a great Sunday!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 09-23-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #42  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Terri - You've got a deal! Just as soon as I collect my lottery winnings, we'll run over and buy Clinton Anderson's place! I bet it's really nice, but I also bet it has a WHooooole lot of stalls to be shovelled. We'll have to find some good help, so we can spend all our time riding! I hope you're old farrier comes thru for you and you can get some relief for Ginger. We have an absolute miracle man for legs up here, but I'm afraid he'll be retiring in not too long. He's a vet actually, and I know they've shipped him all over the country to work on horses. If you live locally here, you usually have to bring the horse to him, instead of him making a farm call, but once you've seen him work, you wouldn't want anyone else for any kind of lameness issue. I wish I could wrap him up and mail him to you!

The trainer hasn't called me back yet. I know he will, but I probably won't be seeing Gabe until next weekend. Gosh I miss the big bugger. I'm not even at the barn much this past week since I have so much other stuff going on.

Did I mention that a friend took me to the Royal Lippazaner show recently? She got us seats in the front row on the floor. If I'd stood up and reached out I could have almost touched them going by. Watching those riders I felt rather bummed out by the fact that I can't ride like that and I'm so fat that I can't even try to learn right now. For a little while I couldn't even imagine myself thin and strong enough to ride like that. But I'm focused now. I may never be THAT good, but i can be better, stronger, lighter, more balanced than I am right now, and I WILL take dressage lessons.

I got some of my first carrots from my garden yesterday. I originally thought I'd just raise them for the horses, but I find myself enjoying them as well. If only my onions had survived, and please don't remind me about the fate of my poor beans and broccolli. At least I have one little acorn squash to console me. So much for this years garden.

Well, it's the first day of fall. We only have six more months until the days are as long or longer than they are now. The holidays are around the corner, the birds will need feeding, and there will be snuggling under more blankets for the next little while. But I will say right now, that next summer IZ coming. And when it gets here, I want to be more ready than I was for this one. Autumn is lovely, winter is fine, but next spring and summer will be ALL MINE!

Excuse me now while I go dig some more carrots and study some federal deposit regulations. (Ruth, how does THAT sound for exciting? ugh.)

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 09-23-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #43  

Valerie -- Federal Deposit Regulations? Wow - how do you stay awake? That must have been something to see the Royal Lippazaners so close. They are so beautiful! When will you get Gabe back? And Congrats on your job!

Terri - Poor Ginger - I hope that you were able to figure out what to do for her. All of that yard work sounds exhausting. Hope you had a nice family dinner.

Ruth - I hear you about the automated voice things. I needed to make a call for a person on my caseload and I was on hold for way more than an hour. I put it on speaker phone and told my co-workers to answer it because I finally had to pee. It's ridiculous. You hate to hang up though - then it's back to the beginning! It must be nice to have all of the work done on your house - a coat of paint freshens everything up so nicely.

Hi Patti (your dog is so cute!), Bearcub, Battleax, Heather and Angela. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone. I hope you all had a great weekend.

I finally went to a TRader Joe's. It's all the way across town in place with inadequate parking. It was so packed! It was fun to go, but I am perfectly content with our local Co-op. I went with a friend and her two little ones. We got them out of the house while the two Hubbies moved the kids bedrooms around. We also went to a school supply store which I find infinitely more fun than a food store I LOOOVE school supplies. I mostly worked this weekend at work - I went in to get and got a lot accomplished. I have some very chatty co-workers that make it hard to be productive sometimes. I had a great OP day today and mowed with the reel mower which I am counting as exercise for the day. Other than that it was the usual weekend drudgery of cleaning and laundry. I sure would like a maid!!! And a chef and a personal trainer and a dog poop scooper-upper

Last edited by luja; 09-23-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #44  

Stop! Do not post here! Join us on the next volume thread of 'Gettin' Fit after 40'!
Closed Thread