Old 07-27-2007, 05:04 AM   #1  

Default Time to be honest with myself...

Okay, so here it goes.

I'M LAZY!!!

I can finally say it! I am 24 years old, and for YEARS I have 'pretended' to care about my weight issue. I pretended not to care when I go out and people stare at me, or when a 3 year old walks up to let me in on the fact that I have a big tummy, as if I didnt already know! I pretended to diet, and lied to people about how well I was doing (knowing I couldnt lie to myself about the half bag of Oreo cookies I'd just eaten hours before).

BUT...I cant lie anymore. I am afraid to step up onto a scale right now, so I told myself two weeks ago that I would just measure my waist. So, imagine my surprise when I measured my waist (I know its under there... SOMEWHERE!) to realise that I was, in fact...FIFTEEN INCHES WIDER THAN I AM TALL!!!

Height-67 inches, or 5 foot 7

Width-82 inches, or 6 feet 10 inches

OMG! That realisation stunned me, and put EVERYTHING into perspective.

I have made a short term goal. To be AT LEAST taller than I am wide by Christmas. I'm beginning to keep a food journal, I will be starting a video diary to document the emotional side of the journey for me.

Today, I was feeling brave and decided to do my measurement again. 2 weeks of taking baby steps and making small modifications so far...

Height-Still 67 inches...

Width-78.5 inches...3.5 inches lost! YAY!!

1 day at a time. One inch at a time. ONE struggle at a time. I will regain my health, and perhaps one day I will step up on a scale. Until then, One will be the most commonly used word in my vocabulary.

So, cheers ladies and gents. Here is to the beginning of a new life full of willpower and EXERCISE. Thank you for reading, and any advice you all can offer is appreciated!
aFatGirlsWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #2  

it is so hard . i know how you feel. i am 38 and was 255. i am now 247. it makes me sick to think of how much i weigh. and how did i ever get this heavy???? i can not blame my 3 births. i am working out at the gym 5 to 7 days a week and keeping a food diary. i am on a 1500 cal aday. let me tell you thatht goes fast normally. now iam eating 6 small healthy meals. i feel good and in control. i hate how food can rule our lives. so many people do not get it. as hard as it is i would like to see you hop on that scale. face that number and move forward.it is sobering to see those numbers. it is hard i know. for a long time i did not want to know what i weighed. but i knew i had to start somewhere. you can even let me know what you weigh. we can support eachother. do what you can. never give up hope. there are so many sucess stories. i want to fell normal. i want to feel good about myself. i am sick of being heavy. hate it. i am on my journey. i am hopeful. it can be done. please take care. best wishes to you.
mama23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WELCOME!!! You've made a great start and I hope we're here for your whole journey!!!

This place is great for inspiration and support and feel free to join us on the weekly numbered threads!

I just hope that if you don't meet your goal by Christmas that you won't give up and see yourself as failing in this process. Sometimes the scale and measuring tape don't cooperate as quickly as we would like. I think the important thing is that you have taken charge of your life!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #4  

Welcome! Sometimes a slap in the face is exactly what it takes to strike up some motivation and kick our butts into gear. Sometimes numbers can be scary, but remember that how you feel along this journey is more important than what the scale or measuring tape says. It's too easy to get caught up in that. Congrats on your loss, and keep up the great work! If you stick around you are bound to run into more support and encouragement than you can handle!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

to 3FC! It sounds like you are doing great already. 3.5 inches lost is great! Small changes can produce big results. The important thing is choosing things that you can keep doing, and then when you got that one down adding something else.

As Heather said, please join us in the numbered threads!
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

Welcome! 3.5 inches is fantastic!! Congratulations!! This place is fantastic and I look forward to getting to know you. Who made the cool Elmo balloon?
balloonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonlady View Post
Welcome! 3.5 inches is fantastic!! Congratulations!! This place is fantastic and I look forward to getting to know you. Who made the cool Elmo balloon?

Actually, the elmo balloon came from a street vendor I encountered in Vancouver. About 20 minutes after that picture was taken, I was on my way to the ferry to come home and a gust of wind took it away...I saw some little kid grab it and get all excited. As tempted as I was to go and knock him down to steal it back, I resisted...lol
aFatGirlsWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #8  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

What a neat goal and plan for measuring your success! I'm one of those scale addicts who sometimes lets that blasted number determine my whole day. I truly admire people who can put them in their proper place as but one measure of progress. Congrats on your 3.5 ", and keep up the great work.
MetaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #9  
300+ Chick

You can do it!! on your inches loss! Much continue victories to you!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #10  

Welcome and congratulations on all of those inches in just weeks!
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

to 3FC and on your loss so far!

The only suggestion I have is to work up your courage and get on the scale. Both measuring and weight can be great motivators. Sometimes we don't lose inches, but we do lose weight. Sometimes we don't lose weight, but we do lose inches. Not seeing one go down can be disheartening...but then the other does go down and we can do the happy shimmy shake dance!

Plus, updating your ticker is the best feeling in the world. Sometimes I update mine and just look at it like...ah, it feels so good!
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFatGirlsWorld View Post
Actually, the elmo balloon came from a street vendor I encountered in Vancouver. About 20 minutes after that picture was taken, I was on my way to the ferry to come home and a gust of wind took it away...I saw some little kid grab it and get all excited. As tempted as I was to go and knock him down to steal it back, I resisted...lol
ha, you crack me up! I would have had to resist, too I just turned 25 last week, so I totally feel your pain. I've been there--lying to people about how well I'm doing, and even lying to myself, saying things like, "I eat right and exercise--howcome it's not working?!" when I actually had a giant fast food binge the day before or something *sigh* the evil mind games we play with ourselves
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote