Old 07-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default In Spite of My Weight...

We have a really powerful thread going on "Because of my Weight" where people are talking about all the things they don't do (or didn't do) because of their weight.

I thought it would be nice to turn that around and look at the things we ARE doing, in spite of our weight.

I'll start.

When I was obese, in spite of my weight:

- I went to live in China and Japan for 2 months each, even though I was terrified that I couldn't keep up with the active lifestyle (I had to walk everywhere) and that I would get injured/sick and have to go to a hospital as an obese person.

- I went ahead and got a Ph.D. and a job as a professor (hey, focus on the mental, because I couldn't bear to deal with the physical).

- I met and married a terrific man!

- I loved myself on the inside (even if I hated how I looked) and valued myself as a person
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #2  
Tammy

S/C/G: 264.8/252.8/175

Height: 5'10"

Default In spite of my weight

First of all... congratulations!!

In spite of my weight I've:

- learned how to ice skate
- gone on hiking trips in mountains where climbing was required (now that
was hard but extremely rewarding)
- walked/ran a 5k race
- finished college when it was hard to fit in the desks at the lecture hall (at the time I was almost 290)
-met and married a wonderful, handsome man (who was a gymnist...just to prove that some guys are in it for more than the looks and actually value what's inside) He's turned out to be my biggest supporter and picks me up when I fall and celebrates with me when I succeed

Being big shouldn't hold you back. People may look at you a little strange sometimes but if we let other people dictate our lives, then we never grow (or grow up)
bowens mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #3  

Ohhhh I like this thread too...

In spite of my weight....

......I ride my bicycle. Riding is my favorite thing to do. Every year my Mom and I ride about 100 miles in an annual tour. I have had people come up to me and tell me they were amazed I could ride as far as do; and they also get their panties in a wad when I not only ride as far, but do it faster then them.

......I mow my yard, weed and edge every weekend.

......I remodeled my entire kitchen, including tiling, mounting cabinets, the electrical, gas, painting, shutters, curtains and lights.

......I continually have repair and remodel projects in my 72 yr old house that I do. Last one was putting in a storm door by myself and then repairing the antique back door (taking out the glass, gluing and realigning the slats), then priming and painting it.

......I tow and set up my popup camper by myself (as well as back it up .. hehe). I use it mostly to camp at organized bike rides.

......I excel at everything I do (except weight loss)... this could be a blessing or a curse! Part of the perfectionist and control freak inside me.

Luv,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I also finished college as an adult student while working full time.

I have a good job with a lot of responsibility as the accounting and office manager of a small international company.

I say hello to everyone in the hallway at work (we are in a multi-company office building) and go out of my way to strike up conversations with strangers. I always try and be confident and outgoing and not hide behind my size.

Even at my highest weight I refused to not enjoy the beach so I got over my reservations and went out in a bathing suit. I might have gotten a few odd looks, but as I recall no one ever said boo to me. Either that or I have very selective hearing. I probably even have a picture around somewhere.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #5  

Thanks Heather for this inspiring thread! Yes, we are all here to lose weight and be healthy, but you don't have to wait to be thin for your life to start. Having been obese all of my adult life - I couldn't begin to list everything I've done. So here are highights:

In spite of my weight:
I've never considered myself ugly or unworthy.
I've never really endured rude remarks from people - but I am VERY thick-skinned and somewhat oblivious.
I got a college and law degree and work as an attorney.
I never lacked for male companionship when I wanted it.
I met and married a real loser - BUT got a beautiful, healthy little boy out of it!
I met and married a WONDERFUL man, truly my soul mate and love of my life.

In spite of my weight, I've had a truly wonderful life!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #6  

Yep...important to think about the positive...

In spite of my weight, I have a great job that I love...one where I am confident and look at as a "go to" person for high priority projects and difficult tasks..

In spite of my weight, I have a great husband and live in a great neighborhood...

In spite of my weight, we throw some great parties with lots of fun people...who see me as something more than a number on the scale...

In spite of my weight, I paint pictures...take some great photos...

In spite of my weight, I have friends that confide in me and allow me to confide in them...

In spite of my weight, I do love life...

In spite of my weight, I have traveled...and lived outside of the US for a couple of years...

Thanks again for focusing on the positive in this thread...

L
ltfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #7  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

I like this thread.

In Spite Of My Weight:

I had a healthy preganancy and now have the most beautiful little boy in my world.

I met a man that although we disagree on some things, he takes care of me and loves me fat and will still love me thin.

I walk around with a confident, sexy attitude, even if I don't really feel that way most days.

I walk the strip in Vegas when I get a chance to get up there instead of taking the trolly from point A to point B.

I still take pictures because I don't want my presence in people's lives to be forgotten or an afterthought.

I still feel self-conscious when men check me out. (I think I actually blushed when a cop did at a stop light on the 4th. )
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #8  
EmilyMay is on her way!

S/C/G: 314/294/168

Height: 5'7"

I had two lovely children and healthy pregnancies

I met and married a lovely man and felt gorgeous on my wedding day and love the pics!

I started and am about (4 weeks away!) to finish my registered adult nurse diploma

I bought my own house

I took my kids abroad to various destinations and swam every day on holiday in my swimming cossie!!

I feel proud of who I am

I feel that I am still a sexy woman and desirable as I am (altho could improve a long way!)

I am a great mum and wife (most of the time!!)

I think this link is really important becos some of us may always struggle with weight and may not acheive the figure we would like BUT we still need to live and make the most of our lives and not let weight limit us unneccesarily.....

Yay for this thread!!
emilymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Very Inspirational Thread

In spite of my weight:

I'm learning to roller blade
I still go swimming which is my favorite exercise
I met and married my wonderful husband
I have very close friends who love me
I'm still active and starting to enjoy life again

Thanks for this great thread!
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Love this thread...it's giving me ideas of things I want to do!

In spite of my weight...

...I signed up for the field-trip-going Oceanography class, instead of the boring lecture alternative.

...I walked to work today and decided not to care what people thought as they drove by.

...I got the tattoo I've always wanted.

...I've begun wearing shorts at home again and capris out in public! (always wore pants for the longest time)
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 362/345/225

Thank you so much for this thread. I spend way too much time thing about the things I can't do, and need to look at the things I can do and have done.

In spite of my weight:
  1. I have people in my life who love me, including my soulmate and best friend.
  2. I earned my master's while working full-time.
  3. I am a CEO of a really cool nonprofit, and my work is widely respected.
  4. I teach at a community college (yes, full-time job #2).
  5. I wear bathing suits, sleeveless tops and shorts whenever I want to.
  6. I love to go dancing in nightclubs!
  7. I follow Prince around when he tours (including to Europe and to 20 concerts in 2004)
jewell0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #12  

...I still wear shorts / capris when it's really hot, even if I hate my legs.

...I smile, because life is good, even if I'm fat.

...I walk almost every single day, because even if people stare, exercising makes me feel better.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #13  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

I'm proud of you all!

This thread has really helped me see that I don't focus on the positive enough.

I had to really think, but here's something:

I'm comfortable meeting new people and good at striking up conversations and drawing others out. (It always surprises me that I'm so much more comfortable at this than people who seem to me to have less reason to be self-conscious about first impressions.)

Thanks for this thread!
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

This thread is really uplifting!!

I am really proud of every single one of you!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 AM   #15  

In spite of my weight...

I put my fears aside and moved with DH from Louisiana to the Alaska Arctic. I had to put my fear of getting on a airplane to rest because the only way out of Barrow was by plane! I have squeezed in many of airplane seats in the last 16 months but it all has been totally worth it!
mechell81 is offline   Reply With Quote