Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #121  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I just got from the University of Alberta. Himself was a speaker at some conference. I swear, I think I ended up talking as much as he did. I’m still feeling tired from all the yard work yesterday. It’s raining today, so that was good timing yesterday. All I want to do is sleep right now.

Annie-I think you are right, spring is here. OMG I can take off my second pair of pants and socks. People will think I have lost weight just because they are used to seeing me in two pairs of pants. The sun has also started coming up obnoxiously early. When it starts coming up at 3 or 4 AM, I do good to get any sleep. I’m trying to learn to sleep with those fashion model eye shade things. And you being excited to hop on the scales is a really cool feeling isn’t it? If it is right, it only took two weeks to lose more than you lost on WW.

Melissa-I heard a doctor talk on TV about how the entire obesity crisis is due to us no longer having to expend calories to get calories. We no longer have to hunt or fish or farm for our food. We don’t even have to walk to the store to get it, and most of the time with drive-thrus, we don’t have to get the food, expend energy to cook it, or even walk into the restaurant. I have issues with ice cream, so when I really need one, or think that I do, I have to walk a block and a half to the bus stop, take the bus to the mall, walk across the parking lot, through the mall to the frozen yogurt stand. I can eat my 110 calories of ice cream that way without guilt. Knowing it isn’t off limits really helps. I don’t want it as often as I used to.

Wyllenn-I agree it is about time. I think what was really irritating is the other people who applied months after me getting approved ahead of me because of a mistake that immigration made. I felt good for them getting it, but jealous too.

Sandy-If I was being screamed at all the time, I think I would put some noise canceling head phones on, and just shut her out. If she isn’t on drugs, what is the deal? You’d think she’d get tired of hearing herself. I’ve seen shows like Oprah or Dr. Phil where they bring these kind of kids on, acting like that, and then months later bring them back to show the change, and they all say seeing themselves on national TV made them realize how stupid they were acting. I’d set up a nanny cam, take her picture, and put it on uTube or myspace. You could show it to her first, and tell her that’s where it is going if she doesn’t straighten up.

Kymberly-I also have never been below 200 as an adult. I got to 214 once. That is going to be huge for you. You’ve worked so hard, and really deserve it.

Ammi-He said we have enough to fly to Europe and back about 4 times. I think that even if he doesn’t get the MBE, we will be coming over to England at some point. He’s supposed to be being named an adjunct faculty at the University of Manchester, and may have to make an appearance. Silly me, I thought professors had to actually be at the university and teach there. They are they ones pushing for the MBE. He wants to take me to Paris and Rome too. I’d rather go to Machu Picchu, but travel is travel. He should be okay if we dope him up, and let him adjust for a day. I can always bring my rhino trank gun just in case he loses it at 35,000 feet.

Jill-That’s just how I felt after getting married. I just started every day having to start over. I felt silly and out of control. It was when I saw that big 4 starting to creep closer on my scales that I basically hit bottom again. I’ve been struggling like crazy since then right before Christmas, and just this last week felt in control again for the first time in a year and a half practically. I don’t know what caused it, or what has finally righted it, and if I could figure it out, I’d make a million. Just try the best you can, and if you can only tread water, then do that so that you don’t drown before you can get your feet on land again.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi all,

Thanks for the congrats on the peak. lol. Hopefully it is a good one. I just got a call from the Hospital that does the sleep center and they had a cancellation so I go tomorrow night for my sleep study! I will be happy to get it out of the way and not have it lingering over my head etc. The lady that called was soooooo nice and she talked to me for about 20 minutes about weight issues. She used to be 305 pounds at around 5'2" and now is 145 or so due to WLS. It was nice to talk to someone who can calm my fears of being so heavy and sleeping when people will be watching me. Luckily for me the only female at the sleep center is working tomorrow night.

Hope everyone is doing Extra great today and having an op day.
Blessings all,
Annie
Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #123  
742,000 calories burned

Annie-that will be good to get that out of the way so they can get you the stuff you need to sleep with out doing without breathing.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #124  
banned

Sleep studies aren't as bad as they sound; I had one (actually a two parter a week apart) done last August. The first part was basically some little wires attached to your head and certain parts of your body that will measure activity while you sleep during the night (the staff watches on a monitor outside in their area).

The second study I had the following week was a CPAP titration; they only do this if they find any signs of apnea in the first study. It's pretty much like the first one, only with a CPAP machine added. From there, they have a general idea what machine and pressure would be best for your apnea treatment. I have a little CPAP machine here at home and only had to take my mask to the hospital the day I had surgery--they had a machine ready for me in the recovery room.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Well, today's been a good day. Went out to lunch with my Mom...completely OP, of course. We went....bathing suit shopping. I found one that doesn't look horrible. I had to get the biggest size, though...I got a 26. It's alright, though. I did this to myself, so I have to deal with it. At least the 26 fit...since it IS clingy fabric after all. I have some housecleaning to do, and other things, but I'll be back a bit later. My finger is feeling a LOT better. It's still bruised and swollen, but I can move it a bit more. Hopefully, it'll heal up completely in the next couple of weeks. I doubt I'm going to get to the gym tonight, as they close earlier on Fridays...but I'm going to do some exercise around here...even if it's just walking in place in front of the TV, watching Scrubs!

Catherine - The sun comes up at 3-4am there?!?! I'd go crazy!!! As it is, we have black curtains on the bedroom window, since Andrew works 2nd shift, and doesn't get up until 9-10am!

Annie - That's so GREAT that you lost another 8 pounds, and it's not even your official weigh in day!!!! The pounds are just dropping off you, girl! Keep it up!! Good news about your sleep study, too! And that's great about the doctor/nurse at the center. It makes me a lot more at ease going anywhere (especially the doctor), when the staff is friendly like that. It can make all the difference in the world!

Kymberly - That is SO great!!! You are SO close to the 1's, and it's just fantastic!!!!

Ammi - I am SO looking forward to the semester to be over with!!! I'm only done with my 2nd year, and I've still got a little bit to go. I'm taking a summer class...my worst subject....MATH. Ugh. But I want to get done with school as SOON as I can, so I'll do what I have to! I'm only getting about a week off before classes start for the summer, and only a week between summer & fall semesters, so definately not doing much of ANYTHING! lol...
Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 310/289/170

Oh my Gosh!!

It has only been a week since I have posted and it feels like I don't know anyone!

I am finally done, all of the Wizard of Oz costumes are done. The official dress rehearsal is Monday morning. I am so excited for the kids. They have worked really hard on this. And they are great! Really funny too.

On the diet front, well I have been so busy that I have not had much of a chance to excercise but I have been on the healthy food train the whole time and am down to 280! So I am happy.

I am happy to be back. I missed ya'll. Well, I better go and add what little exercise I have done on the April thread!

I will have to catch up and write some personals tomorrow!

Happy Spring Everyone, it sure feels like it here today.

Carolyn
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #127  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello Ladies!

I haven't checked in here at all this week, although I just spent the last hour or so reading through this thread and have to say congratulations to everyone who stayed OP, saw a loss on the scale, or celebrated some other NSV victory. A special for Annie, Ammi and Kymberly on your decreasing numbers - bravo! For those not having such a hot week, and hang in there.

This has been a rollercoaster week for me, mentally/emotionally and food-wise (hmmmm ... might there be a connection?). One of my aunts called Sunday to tell me she was coming down to visit me this week. I haven't seen any of my family in almost four years, and so I was very excited at this surprise news. On Monday I had my job interview, which went well, the only snag being that I think they thought I was overqualified and might not be satisfied with the job (or pay) for long. Still waiting to hear back on that.

My aunt arrived Tuesday evening, with an old family friend that she was visiting when they decided to drive down to see me. (My aunt lives in Newfoundland, she flew to visit her friend in Ontario, and then they drove down here to see me). I just can't describe how happy I was to see her. It made tears come to my eyes when I saw her. We spent the next few hours reminiscing and looking at old family photos, and talked about my Mom a bit. It did my heart good to talk about her to people that knew her and loved her, too.

I took them into Atlanta for some sightseeing the next day, and here's where my good eating habits started to slide. I took them to a Southern style restaurant, and if you don't already know, well, Southerners never met a vegetable they didn't like to fry - along with almost everything else on the menu. I didn't do too bad there, just a few bites of the things I ordered, although I did have a roll (bad since I banned white bread from my diet) and a couple bites of banana pudding (another Southern specialty). Later that evening we went to supper with my SIL and her kids, and we again went to a Southern style place, this time seafood - and that's where things got more out of control. I had a few fried shrimp, a few hushpuppies (fried again) and a baked potato with butter (a personal no-no food). To top it off we ordered a strawberry shortcake to share and I must have eaten almost half of it.

My aunt left the next day, as they had a couple other stops planned before heading back to Canada, and they weren't even out of my driveway before I burst into tears. I just felt so lonely and homesick - it was awful. I was so glad and thankful they came, and we had such a wonderful time together even just for the short time they were here, but it was so hard to see them leave and not know when I'll see family again.

The out of control eating continued yesterday, when we ordered a pizza for supper and I ate half a medium pepperoni pizza! Ugh, I'm disgusted with myself just writing that. But do you think I stopped there? No! Today I had a burrito and rice/beans for lunch and chilis' for supper - a cup of broccoli and cheese soup, boneless buffalo wings and a few french fries. Good grief!

One good note about today, I did finally get out and exercise after not going since Monday, and walked my three miles. And I have been stepping on the scale every day, seeing what effect my poor food choices have been having. I'm relieved (so far) that I've still been losing and in fact, today it read 298, bringing me under 300 lbs for the first time in years. I'm not going to change my ticker until my official weigh-in on Monday, during which time I hope the food and impending TOM don't wreak havoc on the number.

What bothers me so much about my eating this week is not so much the couple pounds it may cost me - that's disheartening and annoying but not irreversible - but the ease with which I went back to my old habits, rationalizing and making excuses. It seems I don't have as strong a hold on my determination as I thought, and self-sabotage and emotional eating are still things I have to watch out for.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #128  
742,000 calories burned

Kayley-The sun only does that in the summer. In the winter, it is the opposite. Most people thought I would have trouble with the long nights, but actually in Florida it would be so hot, that we only came to life once the sun went down, so I seem to perk up in the dark. The first summer here was like that Robin Williams movie Insomnia. I had a heck of a time sleeping. I’d use those room darkening shades except there is no air conditioning here, and we have to have the windows open in summer. Those don’t work good with the window open.

Carolyn-Doing that much work, hunched over a hot sewing machine, you got your exercise in. You’ll have to send pictures of the cast.

Lesley-I understand what you mean about it being so easy to fall back into old habits. I think that is actually a good thing sometimes. It reminds me that I can never go back, and have to be Eternally Vigilant!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #129  

I know that quite a few of you have been to Las Vegas....what would you suggest is a MUST SEE while there (that's preferably on the less costly side! )

Andrew & I are hoping to head there around December for our anniversary. Thanks, ladies!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #130  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

LitChick--I had to laugh at what you wrote about southerners never meeting a vegetable they didn't want to fry! Jeff and I drive down to visit his aunt and uncle just outside of Atlanta each summer (well, we have for the past 2 summers and plan to again this year), and I've definitely noticed that trend! There's plenty of healthy food available; it just happens to be hidden under that batter/grease/lard/butter/cream, etc.

I have a little bit of happy news to report for me. I hopped on the scale this morning, and I'm back away from 300 a bit (297). I was fearing I'd see something more like 304--that was my expectation. It's like I've been eating so poorly lately for so long that I actually forgot that I have much IMPROVED my eating in the last couple of days (enough to shed some retained water, at least). So back down from 300...now to get beck out of the 290s. Baby steps
Old 04-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

I helped out in the garden today, I mowed the lawn! I haven’t done that in absolutely ages and the last time I did I was ready to collapse when I had finished. Of course the grass was mega long compared to today’s trim that the grass needed. But so what, I still reckon I am much fitter and managed much better today

Catherine - about the rhino trank gun That’s so cool that hubby is going to be named an adjunct faculty at the University of Manchester. What subject does would he teach? It will be brilliant if he does have to make an appearance there so that you know you will definitely get to come to the UK. Going to Paris and Rome will be lovely, I toured Europe for 3 weeks by train when I first came over here in 1987, it was an amazing experience.

Annie - I am late coming online today and I can’t be sure if you will even get to read this before going for your sleep study. Just in case you do, I am so happy you don’t have to wait until May to have it done, what a relief. The sooner you can get your apnea machine and have some restful night’s sleep the better Take care my friend

Kayley - what a shame that you aren’t going to have much time off after all. Well you will just have to make the most of the time you have got

As for going to Vegas, are you sure you guys are only going to celebrate your anniversary and not get married I would definitely recommend The Little Chapel of the Flowers if you do decide to get hitched, that’s where Daren and I got married As for ‘must sees’ there, gosh there are so many. You have to go to Caesar’s Palace because they have an awesome free Atlantis Water show. Then of course there’s the free water show at the Bellagio, which brought me to tears it was so beautiful. At Treasure Island they do a free show outside of a battle between pirates and the Navy where the pirate ship ends up sinking. There’s the Venetian which is stunning because your indoors but it looks like you are outdoors because the ceilings are painted with clouds and look gorgeous. Here’s a link to a site with ALL the free things in Vegas, it helped me plan my itinerary when we were in Vegas http://www.vegasfreebie.com/?gclid=C...FQLklAodIFrkRA

Carolyn - I bet you are so glad to have all those costumes finished now I hope the kids dress rehearsal on Monday is a great success!

Well done on being down to 280 now, I wonder how many cals you burn sewing

Lesley - I am so glad to hear you had such a lovely time with your aunty and her friend. Though it’s sad that you got so upset when they left Understandable of course.

Try not to worry too much about how easily you fell back into old eating habits. I think the main thing to remember is that as long as you get back on track that’s what counts. Sometimes I think we all need a break from dieting, be it because of the need to comfort eat, or just from being fed up of watching what we eat all the time. OK so we eat ourselves silly, gain a lb (or 7 in my case lol) and then we get back on the wagon and do it feeling refreshed and ready to carry on losing. That’s how I see it anyway

Jill - you are out of the 300s and back in Twotown, that’s wonderful news, well done!!

Patti - hope you are having a lovely day and that your allergies aren’t too bad today.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 04-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #132  

Ammi you make me want to go back to Vegas.. and not in a big truck either! i am doing good right now... had a bad attack at 2 am but took meds and went back to sleep!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Patti - I made myself want to go back there too, especially looking at the site I gave to Kayley Shame I live too far away. I'll get back there one day, and in the mean time you can say hi to it all for me when you go again

I'm sorry you had such a nasty attack this morning, I bet that's made you tired today, I hope you can catch up on your missed sleep

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #134  

Ammi - Haha, I don't think we're going to get married there...we'll see. lol. We're still just talking about the trip, so nothing's official yet. But I found a REALLY great deal, so it's probably happening. I've never been, so I am SO excited!!! Thanks for the site!

Jill - Congrats on getting back into the 2's!

Well, Andrew had to work (overtime) today, so I'm going to go and do laundry while he's at work, and then we're going to go grocery shopping when he gets home. We're going (mostly) back on the Beach next week!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #135  
742,000 calories burned

Kayley-I’ve never been to Vegas, but always wanted to see the Star Trek thing.

Jill-I have often described the diet I was raised on as the all bacon grease diet. My mom would cook about a pound of it in the morning, and poured the grease into a special metal container that had a strainer insert in the top to catch the crusties, and the pure stuff drained through to congeal in the bottom. That means everything, even vegetables got cooked in this salty lard concoction. There are no biscuits in the world flakier than ones made with pure bacon grease, and the smell of her fried chicken would make the whole neighborhood drool.

Ammi-He technically is a geographer. There are two kinds here, physical geography such as what that mountain or river is called, and cultural geography, which is why that mountain range or river is the boundary of that country. Kind of political science actually. He writes about meteors and politicians. He teaches one class of physical geography for an on-line college. His work at the U of A is in the medical ethics/nursing department. I realize that makes no sense. He lectures about disability issues, and dealing with the disabled and mentally ill and their families. The U of M position would also be in nursing. He’s an honorary professor at Penza University in the Ukraine, and I have no idea what the heck he does with them since he doesn’t speak Russian. He talks to them at 2 AM on the phone. Most of his time is spent on the Premier’s Council on the Disabled. I have been stuck here unable to leave for almost a year and a half, and I think that I haven’t allowed myself to think about traveling. Now that I’m going to be able to, I am starting to get excited at the idea of where I want to go.

I am still hurting all over from my two hours of yard work two days ago. I used some muscles that I haven’t used probably in 2 decades, and they are not happy about being woken up. I can’t decide whether to rest them, or do the other half of the lawn to use them again. I remember being like this the first two weeks of basketball or softball season, but just doing it everyday eventually worked the soreness out. I was much younger then. I think I’ll see how I feel after the Tylenol kicks in.
Closed Thread