Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #1  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Question Appetite Change-Fact or Fiction?

Curious, someone told me the other day that as you lose weight your stomach shrinks so you eat less. True? Opinions?
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Well, I can only speak for myself and I would say that it is true. I see that even if I binge now I cannot get as much food in without being in absolute agony.
But, shrinking my stomach was a painful process. I got hunger pangs (still do), but it is so worth it and it is such a gradual process that you end up not even realizing that you literally can't eat as much as before.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't say as you lose weight but as you eat less. When I'm eating right, watching my portions, I feel my stomach shrinks and I get fuller quicker. If I start eating a lot, then my capacity increases.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up

As Nelie stated, your stomach will still stretch to accomodate a lot of food. However, as you lose weight and become more aware of your reason for eating (i.e., hunger vs. emotions), you do end up eating alot less then previously. For instance, I used to eat appetizers and a whole entree at a resturaunt, along with several glasses of pop. Now, I can get away with 1 serving of the appetizer and half of the entree, unless it's a salad.

The best part of it is that you feel so much better about yourself, and also better physically. It's well worth all the hard work!

P.S. If you are finding yourself hungry on the amount of calories you want to eat per day, try adding fruit and vegetables to your food intake. They're so healthy and low calorie, and they are also full of fiber and water, so they'll fill you up.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

totally true. i still amaze myself sometimes when i think about all the food i could eat before.
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Yes I have found that as I changed what and the amounts that I ate, my appetite has changed drastically. I eat much less than I used to and am full much quicker.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

yes, the stomache can shrink, but it also stretches, so it all depends on how much you eat in a sitting. Have you ever seen the tiny asian men and women who eat competitively? I guess in Japan, eating contests are even more popular than in the US, and people actually "train" for events by stretching their stomaches with large quatities of food. Grapes are popular because they aren't high in calorie, but take up alot of space (at least from what I saw on a documentary of one "champion," who couldn't have weighed more than 120 lbs, but ate like 27 hot dogs).

I've been trying to eat very small frequent meals to shrink my stomache, and it's working very well for me, but ultimately calories are still very important, because if you eat high calorie foods, eating small frequent meals can do just as much damage as three larger meals.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #8  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I definitely think this is true. Now that I try and eat less, I have less of a capacity to eat really large amounts.

Also, I definitely find that a big part of it is reprogramming my brain to recognize what a decent portion of food is. I have been reading "Mindless Eating" and confirming that so much of our feeling of satiety comes from how much we perceive we are eating. For example, before I couldn't conceive of a breakfast of eggs being satisfactory with only one egg - I always had to have two. Now, I can eat one egg and be satisfied.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #9  

I do believe its true also, right now, if I'm eating something, as soon as I get to the portion (amounts) that i've been eating lately, I can feel myself getting full even before i"m finished. I think your body starts to adjust to what you've been eating lately. I also am looking at things, reading and taking time to look at what the recommended portion is stated on the packet. Before i would just eat it, or until I was full.

I recently went to one of my favorite restaurants and was surprised when I could not finish the amount of food I'd ordered, I had to save it for the next day. Months ago, that would not have been the case, I could have ate that and more. I was able to eat 3/4 of what i ordered, and I ordered less than I normally eat. So I definitely believe its true.
Shandee4007 is offline   Reply With Quote