Old 04-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #1  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ Scale Reviews?

My fiance is looking to join me in getting in shape and losing weight, and I'm looking forward to working on this together. However, he seems pretty bummed after he hopped on my digital tanita scale during his last visit and it simply read "OL" (as in "over limit"), and I'm thinking about just quietly replacing it with something that will read up to about 350 or so. He estimates he's just barely over 300, but I'm worried he's higher yet - and waiting for the scale to read 299 is going to be a lot more frustrating if he's 330 instead of 303. Plus, it's easier to measure success if you know where you start, no matter how much you hate to know the truth.

I don't want this to be a big deal, but the last thing I want to do is buy a new larger-range scale and find it still doesn't work for him, or is less than accurate, etc.

I've looked online for scales that will weigh up to 350-400, but I'd like to hear what other people use. We may hate the scale some days (or most?), but let me know if you have a good reliable one that works well for you. Thanks!
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I have a Tanita HD372, which is fairly accurate - as far as I can tell. I had some trouble with it at first because I hadn't attached the rubber feet properly and they kept slipping and causing inaccurate readings. Once I figured out the problem, it seems fairly consistent. It weighs up to 400 pounds.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 481/450.2/180

Height: 5'10"

Default Scales

Hi! This is my first post, but I wanted to reply concerning the scales.... I searched and searched and finally found the "My Weigh XL550- Talking Bathroom Scale"- Works wonderfully!!! It weighs up to 550 pounds! They also have one a little cheaper that goes up to 440 pounds.

Last edited by Heather; 04-08-2007 at 10:54 AM.
ApGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #4  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I also have a Tanita, it was a bit pricey, but was worth it.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I was over 300 lbs, I used an analog Healthometer. I recently upgraded to a Conair WW scale which has an upper limit of 400 lbs. It was about $35 at Costco. It is incredibly accurate and easy to read.

Last edited by Heather; 04-08-2007 at 10:55 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/289/170

Height: 5'9"

I also have an inexpensive Healthometer analog scale. I have been using it since I was 310. But it also has weighed my husband acurately since he was 350 or so.
DJCJRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

I have a Salter scale and it is very accurate.

eta: I meant to add that this scale goes up to 400 lbs even though when I ordered it on Amazon it said it only read up to 350.

Last edited by Torister; 04-06-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #8  
Ari

S/C/G: 400/341/150

i have a weight watchers scale, which is sold at most stores that i've seen around here.... it goes up to 400 pounds and is made from some kind of special glass, i just tap on it with my foot then step on it. the only problem I've had with it is that it is either really accurate or really inaccurate. It always weighs me at about 10 pounds higher (when i'm in my undies) than i weigh with all my clothes and shoes on at the doctor's office on their fancy doctor scale. I don't know if the doctor "fixed" their scale to overcompensate for the amount of clothes that a person wears, or the doctor's scale could be broken, or if my scale is just cookoo in the head.

i still like the WW scale because i get a day-to-day feeling for which direction my weight is going. even if it weighs me at higher than the doctor's scale does, i still know i am losing weight, and i know how much the doctor's scale will say before i get on it. i just have to remember to subtract about 10 pounds.

also make sure your honey is weighing before he eats anything for the day -- water can weigh a lot and even a cup of coffee can affect your scale numbers. if he really is barely over 300, weighing first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating, could drop him under 300 so that the old scale "works"
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #9  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the help!

I checked the stores around here and found nothing, so I ordered one of the Conair-WW scales from Amazon (the WW60X, which was on sale for $40 last week). It's kind of interesting - can be programmed to track a starting/current/goal weight, for up to 4 people. I really kind of like the "balancing" aspect of it (when you hop on, little indicators tell you if you're standing centered, which ensures a good reading), and it seems pretty darn accurate - I weighed on this one and my Tanita one after the other, and they were essentially identical.

I think my guy kind of got a jolt when he stepped on and found out he's around 325 instead of 305. Which was exactly what I was worried about - when he gets below 300 he'll know that he's lost 25 pounds, instead of feeling like he hasn't accomplished anything.

Thanks again for the suggestions! He's joked about a 2-for-1 weight goal - he wants to reach 200 or so, which will be 120(ish) pounds to my 60(ish).
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote