Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #1  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Weight Loss and 'TOM'

Earlier this week my scale showed a loss, but today for my 'official' WI, I actually gained a half a pound over last week's WI. TOM is here and what I'm wondering is if the minor weight gain that's usually experienced occurs before, during, or after?

Basically, I'm going to start probably later today, and I'm curious as to whether I can chalk that half pound up to my pre-period or if there's another cause, and whether I can expect another gain next week as that's the time I'll actually be on my period?

I hope that made sense!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I find that I always have a slight gain the week before TOM, and then I lose quite a bit during TOM (basically I lose what I should have been losing all along!! - hope that makes sense! ) My body always retains the week or so before.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #3  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

It probably differs from woman to woman, but for me the water weight gain is in the days preceding TOM. My body usually lets go of the water on the first or second day of the actual period. If you follow this pattern, you might expect a big drop on the scale early this week.
MetaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

I echo what the others have said, I will gain a bit right before and then after it starts I will lose.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #5  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks!

I've never really paid attention to my weight during this time so I didn't know what to expect. I think I'll hold off on weighing myself anymore until next week so I don't drive myself crazy and just keep OP.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/289/170

Height: 5'9"

Hear, hear, to what everyone else has said. I have to say though, that a half a pound! You are lucky. Every month I gain 5-10 lbs. for that week before TOM. No joke. Before my lifestyle change it was more like 10-20 lbs! I know that sounds crazy but it is true. I only weigh myself for two weeks out of the month because of my period. I PMS for a week, then I get a week off, then I have a period for a week, then I am normal for another week, and then the cycle starts again. Just insane!!!!!!!
DJCJRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #7  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I'm crazy, as well. I've already started retaining water... it began yesterday and I'm not even supposed to start until next Wednesday/Thursday. At least it's a predictable pattern, though. I'll have to see when it drops off, as I've never really paid much attention before. The female body is a crazy, crazy thing.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #8  

This is my week also its coming soon, and I've been bouncing back and forth with these 2 lbs, and I was wondering if it had to do with all this water retention, I feel so bloated and the 2lbs have been here for about a week, hence making me feel like i'm gaining it back when it took a lot just to get these few off.
Shandee4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Absolutely.. I gain about 5 pounds, and it's so FRUSTRATING! I'd also skip the weigh-in, or take it with a grain of salt (i weigh every day and try not to let it get me down, I look for the "trend" and it keeps me accountable). Since I weigh in every day I know how much of a gain to expect during TOM and PMS.... fun times. If it's going to discourage you, it's worth staying away from that scale.... besides, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at the following weigh-in.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also have big time water retention, starting anywhere from 3 to 5 days before until day 2 or 3 worsened by the fact that I crave salt and other bad things during that time. I have noticed that since I've gone Southbeach style eating, the cravings and water retention aren't as bad, but I can still gain up to 5 lbs of water. This is fantastic progress for me, because in the past I would not only gain 10 lbs of water, but my appetite would be so out of control, I could put on an additional 5 lbs of "real" fat.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

WOW!! This is such good news. I alway again too. I started this week and gained 10-12lbs in 4 days!! Right now the scale is evil!! I also have an uncontrolable urge to eat. Since my lifestyle change I've given in twice during the week. I feel guilty as all get out, but it's getting better. I thought I was the only that gained that much weight! Thank you ladies, this made me feel so much better today.
Dyanm1 is offline   Reply With Quote