Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #1  

Default Question for the 300 chicks

I have a question for all the ladies in the 300 and ready to try again group:
How many calories are you eating to loose about 2 pounds a week?

I seem to be stuck at a bit of a plateau having lost 25 pounds. I can’t figure out if I’m eating too much or not enough.
I’m trying to stay between 1400 and 1700 calories per day and exercise 3-4 times per week for about 30-45 min each time on elliptical. That’s all I can handle at this point.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
NinaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #2  

that seems to be fine.. and be sure to drink water... lots of it.
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well each body is different and I don't count calories but I know that in general, I stay around the 1400 to 1700 calorie range and I wish I lost 2 lbs per week

Although my exercise has been lacking a bit lately, I'm still doing an hour 3-4 times per week of various things. What type of elliptical workout are you doing? Do you use high intensity intervals? If not, I'd recommend them. Also are you doing any weights?

How long have you been on your plateau?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

We're all different. When I started calorie counting at 280+ I could eat 2000 calories a day and lost 2 pounds a week. I didn't exercise much at first, but really started to do more and more as time went on.

First, I'd ask if you really are sure of the number of calories you're eating (and drinking). Do you track every nibble?

Second, you said you're at a bit of a plateau... how long has that been going on? Most people don't consider it a real plateau unless it's been a few weeks as weight loss is not linear. (oh, I see nelie asked that too!)

Third, even if you aren't losing 2 pounds a week, it's okay! Weight loss really varies by person and you shouldn't think of it as a failure if you lose more slowly!!!!! 25 pounds is GREAT -- almost 10% of your starting weight!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #5  

Actually, I'd say that's pretty good, maybe you are going a little low. I do Weight Watchers and one of their points are about 50 calories. I am at 28 pts now, so around what you are eating - 1400 to 1700 is about my range. They also assume you'll be getting MORE than that, because zero-point foods like veggies have calories just the same.

By the same token, I was once on a calorie-counting plan thru my doctor who put me at 1500 cal's a day (no more than 40 grams of fat). I lost fine on that but gained back +++ like I always have in the past.

Keep in mind, you don't always lose 2 lbs a week no matter how hard you work at it. This is something that takes a lot of time and up and down. (Wish I was as good as taking that advice as I am at giving it!)

A big WOW! on doing that much time on the elliptical!!! I do 20 a day and I'm about to DIE at the end of 20 minutes!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #6  

To answer your question - I've bees "stuck" for about 3 weeks. I might have lost total 1-2 pounds in that time, but I've been loosing more than that in the weeks before, so I don't know if my body is adjusting or what.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. To be honest I'm just glad to be firmly planted in the "under 300's", but would still like to know if I'm doing something wrong.
NinaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think they say the best thing for a plateu is to change up your exercise routine. Add the treadmill or bike...something like that.

Just DON'T GIVE UP!! It'll come off!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Well, if you've lost a couple of pounds in the past couple of weeks, you aren't at a plateau! You've been losing, just slowly. Trust me, slowly is great, even if we always wish the scale would move faster. If the scale is, overtime, moving in a downward direction, then that's exactly what we want to see.

A number of factors can effect the scale -- remember that the scale weighs fat, muscle, bone, skin, hair... all of us. When we talk about weight loss, we really mean we want to lose fat, but if you are retaining water, you might not "see" the fat loss.

Patience is really important -- this is a LONG journey. If you are sure of your calorie intake and keep losing slowly, that can be okay for your body -- although it can get disheartening to lose slowly. Changing up your exercise routine helps keep you from being bored, and upping intensity burns more calories.

I'd advise patience and sensibility! Sounds like you're doing great, and being under 300 IS something to celebrate!!!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 269+/266.2/190

Height: 5ft 2inches

You might consider sodium in take. I know that makes a big difference with me.
Ayanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 AM   #10  

Well I'm 320ish pounds and to lose 2 lbs a week I stay at 2000 calories, give or take a little bit. I will probably have to drop it when I reach 300 or so, or burn more calories during the day. My opinion would be for you to try about 1800 calories on average each day. It's all trial and error though, it's different for everyone.

Melissa
Vilandra485 is offline   Reply With Quote