Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens 40+ And Ready to Lose #113

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

We start new threads each Monday.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #2  

Hi gals,

I got up and did an abbreviated workout this morning. I attempted the WATP video this morning but had trouble breathing because of my allergies. At least I did 20 minutes. Better than zero. I am determined to be back on track this week. I need to do a few bill things this morning. DH is taking me to work because of the additional snow over the weekend.

I've got oatmeal on the stove for my breakfasts. DH cooked three chicken breasts for my lunches this week. I need to be more consistent with my fruits and veggies. More servings of those. I also need to get back to my journalling. I also fell on my face on that last week.

Let's make this a great week.

to all!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #3  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Hope everyone is having a less-than-manic Monday! I am ready for the week - (Well, not really! I'd much rather be a housefrau and never leave my warm snug little abode. )- but as such things go, I'm ready! Got some office work done this weekend to take a bit of the pressure off at work, had a healthy oatmeal breakfast lovingly prepared by DH, three cups of coffee and my healthy snacks ready to eat. Got my wonderful naturally frozen in snow left-overs for lunch. Did the IM for 20 minutes - I'm getting better at maintaining my pace and adding a bit of resistance. All in all, a good start to the week!

The darn fridge is actually starting to get COLD again! GRRRR! By Wednesday it'll probably be a 37* and the repairman won't have a clue what's wrong! Incredibly annoying. I'd rather it just STAY broken!

Have a terrific day ladies!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #4  
Patti

S/C/G: 342/299/135

Well, Monday was actually tolerable - At least I lost two lbs! That was the best way to start this week. No time to chat! Gotta walkie the doggie!! I'll try to get around the block -- thats my exercise today!!!!

Patti

edit:

we walked for a block and a half! I am so glad most of the nice people on my block have shoveled their walks!!
Yipee!!

Last edited by rileydog14; 01-22-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: adding exercise!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #5  

Hey there Patti!
on those 2 lbs down!

Everyone Else:
I've run out of time to post...but rest assured...I'll be watching you!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Afternoon Ladies.

Hey Terri, get up off the ground and get back on track. Find your pen. Put that Journal where you can see it and keep an index card in your pocket for when you're away from your journal. I know I fall flat too when I stop writing everything down. Lucky you to have hubby cook your chicken for ya.

Lillion .... how's the fridge today. Still using snow for a freezer?

Pat: Congrats on losing 2 lbs.!! Way to go.

I go to WW tomorrow after work, weather permitting. Right now it looks like getting home from work tomorrow afternoon may be enough of a challenge for the day. We're supposed to get cold, wind and snow. I may have to find a meeting later in the week if it's really rotten out. I know I've had a good week so if I miss a mtg. it'll look even better the following week.

Tonight I'm going to wash clothes, play with the dogs and watch Amer. Idol.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #7  

Hi ladies,

Not too much exciting going on here. I've been doing fairly well with food until tonight. DH took me to work and picked me up after work so I could go get a haircut. He doesn't like me driving so far in the dark so I ask him to chauffeur me around and it gives us more time together. feeds his ego too. We decided to stop at the local diner on the way home. What I ate wasn't on any diet plan but at least the portions weren't humongous. I did do 30 minutes on the airdyne this morning.

I tried to make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor. My right knee has been hurting but it mainly hurts behind the knee. Plus it grinds or pops. This is the knee that I hurt when I fell in the barn back in the fall. Exercise seems to have aggravated it. My left knee is where the hay bale rolled back on it and kind of bent my knee backwards - which is never good. However, exercise does seem to have lessened that. And then there's my left hip that several years ago I was told had a place where the ligament was torn away from the bone - but I was never given a future direction on it other than it feels better when I exercise. AND then there's my right shoulder that I jammed when I fell. Certain exercise make it catch and hurt a little bit. I now have a $600 deductible on health insurance so I figured I'd just have it all checked by a good orthopedic doc and skip my regular doctor on it. This should max out my deductible right off the bat. Hopefully what he will tell me is that its all just wear and tear on the body and tell me what exercises I can and can't do. for no surgeries.

Work has been going okay. Busy but certainly a lot less stressful now that I have a new boss. We did discuss today that he thinks I should think about applying for other jobs within the big Z (company name begins with a Z and is a town in Switzerland!) so show that I am interested in being part of the big team. I think I'm ready to sit down and do a resume and maybe even post it on Monster.com. Relocating would not be easy with the horses. But who knows, maybe something local or maybe just to help me feel more positive about myself if some other company would be interested in me. I have not updated my resume in years and certainly have not written an executive style resume for myself. I think I will add that to my list of new year's projects.

Oh yippee, the State of the Union address is on. I'm not making any comment about the President in any way or the other but I hate these things. So incredibly boring. DH is glued to the TV and I don't want to go to the bedroom. Guess I'll read a magazine.

Did I mention that I hit the Coldwater Creek clearance site again? What I ordered totalled up to be over $700 and it cost about about 60% less than original price. And I ordered smaller sizes so that I have clothes to work towards for next fall. Even more reason to get my act together and keep it together.

I think I'll go browse Ebay for horse tack before reading. DH will never know that I'm spending money right under his nose.

Patti - on your loss. Good job on getting out there an walking the doggie!

Lilion - Hope your refrig breaks down for the repairman. I made a huge pot of oatmeal for the week. I am eating mine with flax seed, cinnamon, little brown sugar, walnuts and blueberries. A wonderfully fiilling breakfast. This time I'm using rolled oats instead of the steel cut. Not bad especially with all those goodies.

Judy - Are you living where you still get the lake effect(?) snows? You haven't mentioned much about snow like you used to. Hope the roads aren't bad tomorrow. Thanks for the encouraging words. And yes, this works so much better when we use all the tools that we know to use. Journal. Plan. And don't be stupid!!

Well that became a ramble for starting out that I had nothing to say.

Goodnight and tomorrow is Hump Day!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined to succeed View Post
Hi ladies,

Judy - Are you living where you still get the lake effect(?) snows? You haven't mentioned much about snow like you used to. Hope the roads aren't bad tomorrow. Thanks for the encouraging words. And yes, this works so much better when we use all the tools that we know to use. Journal. Plan. And don't be stupid!!

Well that became a ramble for starting out that I had nothing to say.

Goodnight and tomorrow is Hump Day!
Terri:
Yup. Only moved a mile. We basically only had 2 or 3 days of Winter until last week. I was enjoying it. Hope all goes well at the Dr.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #9  
Quitting is NOT an option

S/C/G: 204/153.8/138

Height: 5' 5"

Evening chick-a-dees

Terri, thanks for starting the thread . . . I don't think I know how to do that, would love to have darling husband cook chicken breast for me (one of my own).

Lilion- try to stay warm sweetie, it still isn't all that cold here, but it's cold.

Rileydog: GREAT JOB!!
J-ann; on your weigh in and the weather . . .

A friend of mine e-mailed me the following, I laughed so hard. I just had to share

--THE GOOD NAPKINS...ahhhhh..the joys of having girls...

My mother taught me to read when I was four years old (her first mistake). One day, I was in the bathroom and noticed one of the cabinet doors was ajar. I read the box in the cabinet. I then asked my mother why she was keeping 'napkins' in the bathroom. Didn't they belong in the kitchen? Not wanting to burden me with unnecessary facts, she told me that those were for "special occasions" (her second mistake).

Now fast forward a few months....It's Thanksgiving Day, and my folks are leaving to pick up my uncle and his wife for dinner. Mom had assignments for all of us while they were gone. Mine was to set the table. When they returned, my uncle came in first and immediately burst into laughter, next came his wife who gasped, then began giggling, next came my father, who roared with laughter, then came Mom, who almost died of embarrassment when she saw each place setting on the table with a "special occasion" Kotex napkin at each plate, with the fork carefully arranged on top. I had even tucked the little tail in so they didn't hang off the edge!! My mother asked me why I used these and, of course, my response sent the other adults into further fits of laughter.

"But, Mom, you said they were for special occasions!!!" Isn't it easier to just tell the truth?????????

Hope you all have a great night
Old 01-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #10  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Morning chickies!

Just a quick fly by. It's the first day of school again. Oh joy. LOL, I am so ready for this to end! Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #11  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Kind of a fly-by for me too! I got up this morning and tackled the IM - this time I thought I'd try one of the personal trainer programs. WOW! WAY harder workout than I wanted at 5:45 in the morning! The darn thing was only 20 minutes but started at no resistance and increased every two minutes until I was at a 5! Then it started going down and I thought "whew, done" NOT! It went from a 5 to a 4 to a 6 to a three to a 5! Thankfully it went steadily down after that. Keep in mind, I've never gone over a 2 on the resistance before!

The fridge is out again. I guess it just made one more valient try before conking out again. The repairman comes today so hopefully the patio can stop being used as our refrigerator soon!

S Diane: Thanks for the great laugh today!

Terri: I hate to hear about your knee! I hope it gets better soon!

Got to run! Later ladies!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

I always seem to run out of apple before I get tired of my peanut butter, ya know?

Hi Hens! I just have a few minutes of my lunch break and wanted to TRY to catch up here, at least on my reading. I've finally been really and truly on plan for 3 days, with no sneaking of candies, breads or other hinny inflating face stuffers. I'm short on the exercise still, and not 100% on my water, but getting my sugar sucking lips under control has been a huge challenge. I've been FAIRLY good this month, but only really in control of things for the last few days. It's about time - I only have 124 days left to the dreaded wedding.

Take care friends!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 400/332/200

Height: 5'9"

I am brand new here and have so much to lose..... I had a gastric bypass which is proof positive that it doesn't cure being fat. I started out at 400 lbs, I lost 100 lbs gained back 32 over the course of 8 years. Exercise I hate. I know that is one of the things i have to get back into. I still have over 100 lbs to lose. My first goal is going to be 10 lbs. I am 46 and my name is Becki.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #14  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Becki! Glad to have you! You're in the right place.

I've always wondered about other people that have had the surgery, whether they think going into it if it will in fact take care of all their problems. I never had that experience, but I had to also learn the hard way that even losing 100 pounds doesn't really make us different. We are still who we are regardless (although thinner) and will still have to deal with all those issues. I can't imagine going through the pain and expense of surgery on top of that.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 400/332/200

Height: 5'9"

Thank you for the welcome! I am taking my first step today and starting to walk again. I have to get back into exercising even if it is just walking for now. I am easily overwhelmed so one step at a time.
Closed Thread