Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens 40+ And Ready to Lose #110

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Welcome!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #2  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Evening everyone!

Well, right after I made my last post thinking that I had blown a fuse or something in my place, all the power went out. I thought how strange that I would have half on and half off for over an hour. Any way, as it turned out it was just our complex since the trees came down on the lines. We were without power and hot water for 2 days, coming on right before my date last night! I had just washed my hair and took a sponge bath with boiled water over the tub...such fun...(I got an offer from my date to use his shower though...No thank you.) It's a good thing I happen to LOVE candles...used every one I had, and you should have seen the feeding frenzy trying not to let the food spoil.

The date went ok, however, he was late, leaving me to pay in order to get in on time, he did apologize and said he'd get the next one...strike one... We saw the Good Shepherd. Quite an odd story, but interesting. Walked me to my car after (he offered to pick me up but I wanted to meet at the theater)...and dang it if I didn't get one of those whimpy, wet, exploratory, "fish kisses"! Thanks, I already brushed my teeth. And then, he thought it was so good, he went in for more...I hate that! Stike two...Another date? Ok, sure, give it a chance, right? How about Tuesday? Hmmm, Tuesday? Don't we have holiday coming up here? "Oh, yeah, my buddy and I are driving down to LA to party with his friends." Hmm...Not sure what I think about that, but hey, we just started going out, cut him some slack. So, we'll see on Tuesday when we'll see something more to my taste...Eragon. Not that I normally keep points on anyone, but that kiss just kind of set me back. Ladies had any luck "training" a man?? Please share!

Have a good night!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #3  

Good morning ladies,

It is a wet, soggy day here. We got a lot of rain last night and I think its supposed to rain most of the day. A good day to stay inside and pack up all the Christmas decs.

And exercise. I just finished 50 minutes on the stationary bike. Which put me at my goal of 1,000 minutes for the month. It was a bit of a push here the last few days to make that goal, but it wouldn't have been if I had done more evenings than I did. I see that even if I had done 15 mins in the evening, it would really have boosted that total. And I've learned that if I go for exercise every day and log that, it keeps me more motivated. My "rest" days should be days where all I do is pilates or yoga. I'm really thrilled with the results. Not showing on the scale but I can really feel the muscles take shape.

Sorry for starting a thread last night and not posting. Got sidetracked by dinner and snoozing on the couch.

Bear is doing much better every day. It is such a relief to see him wanting to get up and move around the house. Last night was his first night to sleep back in the bedroom. He was on a quilt by my side of the bed. But he and I had to move to the living room again because he was making too much noise licking. His wound is healing great but it must be itching him. Plus where his hair is growing back too. Lilion, you had asked with leg - its a front leg which puts more stress on his back hips which aren't the greatest.

Lilion - I know just what you mean about your brother. My oldest brother and I are like that. We just don't have anything in common. And I have said recently that we're not friends and he makes it plain that he doesn't want to be friends. While the youngest, and only 3 yo older than me, brother and I have gotten to be closer again and we do feel like we are definitely friends. I do think at some point in your life, you realize that your family is either just family or else you develop a real friendship. In fact, my oldest DB is even farther on the outside of my desire list because everyone in my family has called and expressed their sorrow for Bear and us because they know how much we love that dog and they themselves love him too. Except for this brother and the reason why that is so bad is because DH went to his house and picked up his dog to take to the vet to be put down when DB couldn't face doing it himself. And it is sad when family chooses to be distant.

You are doing so great with the exercise. And I know how much you hate it. You'll probably come to love that I.M.

BarbPa - You have had a terrible time lately. I hope you're feeling better and getting stronger. Hope you get a quiet weekend with DH and that adorable boy!

Karen - Yuck about the kiss. I'd probably be keeping score too. He doesn't seem to be too smooth on making a good impression side! Good thing you're not up in northern NY (or Denver even) with losing your electricity. How annoying.

Ruth - That looks like great news for your daughter. You've had a rough year too. Yes, we CAN make 2007 a better year for progress.

Java Mary - How's the new place?

to everyone else. Think I'll get up and start on the Christmas decorations. The horses would probably like it if I'd come feed them.

Oh yeah, speaking of them. They are now a herd of four. We are down to the two boys, Ginger and Spice. DH took Peso to her new home yesterday. The young lady is so happy to have a horse. And the mom has invited me to bring up a horse and ride around their trail anytime. I will keep that in mind as soon as Spice is weaned. I need to get a good pic of her, she looks like a wooly mammoth with all her winter coat.

TTFN!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #4  
Hang In There

Morning Ladies,

I am taking a break from taking decorations down. I've just got the tree "undecorated" I've got the glass ornaments that fit into two wooden boxes that came with them. Each one has it's own speciat slot shaped to fit iand a diagram of where to put each one. The only problem is some of them look so much alike youhave to really study to figure which one goes where. It's a good thing I like puzzles. Now to get the tre in it's box. My goal for the day is to get the kitchen and den undecorated. The livingroom can wait until a later day.

Yeaj Ruth What is an AVM? At first I thought it was a MVA (Motor Vehicle Accident) but then I realized I'd looked at it backwards. When I get something stuck inmy head I can't seem to come up with anything else. Like on the bonus round of Wheel of Fortune!!!

Okay, New Year, New Start, NEW ME!!! I know you've all heard it before, but I've got to get my act together! I' going up to sign up for the exercise thread too and see it that will motivate me to get moving. It worked really well last spring, but then I lost interest. But I'm trying again.

Hope everyone has a great new Year and stays ot of trouble.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #5  

Smile Hi!

Hello ladies, I don't know how well I can discribe an AVM, but it stands for arterial Venus Malfuction. It is where the arteries are tangled up in a sort of knot. Hers happens to be in her brain. It is in a spot where they can't operate, so they have done radiation twice to try to close off the bad section. I am sure one of our medical ladies could explain it better. One of our senators recently had a bleed from his. I can't remember his name. I think it was a senator? They had no choice but to operate on him. I wonder how he is doing.

It is a dreary day here, rainy and pretty doggone chilly! I am not planning on doing anything outside, just going to snuggle up in my recliner with my blankie and sleep! I hope! For sure someone always calls about the time I start to doze.

Terri, Glad to hear that Bear is getting better. Yes, we want pictures of spice! Bet she has grown lots.

Lilion, you are getting good about that infernal machine, go girl. Well Santa didn't bring me one, so I guess I will just have to drag my tapes out and get with the program.

Karen, boy am I glad I don't have to do the dating thing again, doesn't sound like much fun for you. Maybe things wil get better. There is a great guy out there somewhere for you, for sure! You just have to keep your eyes open.

Barb, you and me too, need to get our act together. I think maybe the only way to do it...is just do it! easy said, not so easy done. We will never quit trying thoiugh, will we?

Well, hens, Until later, Ruth
Old 12-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #6  

Smile

Where is everybody??? Are you all out celebrating already? Just in case....Happy new year! Ruth
Old 12-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

I'm here. It was a gorgeous day, no snow on the ground (!), sunshine and temps in the 40's so I spent most of the day catchng up on the holiday visits I'd meant to make between T'Giving and Christmas.

I plan on being sound asleep at midnight soooo

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Here's some May we all use it liberally, as needed in 2007.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #8  

Hey ladies,

Happy New Year's Eve!

What's everyone been up to?

We went to church this morning, the grocery store and I've been snoozing on the bed. I'm letting myself be lazy today.

Yesterday, I got almost all the Christmas stuff packed away. This time, I actually took time and effort to sort stuff out and pack in a more organized way. I eliminated a couple of containers. Usually, I end up just stuffing it into containers just to get it out of the way. I need to bring in a couple of big containers from the garage to finish up. Tomorrow's project.

Tonight, we're having crab legs and salad for dinner. DH's traditional NY eve meal. No parties for us. We like the quiet evenings at home.

We have had so much the rain that its turned into a big mud pit and now the temps have dropped. Good snoozing weather.

Tomorrow is back to the exercise program. Starts a new exercise month and a new year. After my discussion about weight with the GYN, I'm determined to get the pounds back off this year. As she said, while they may be a reason why the wegiht came back, it doesn't have to be permanent.

Hope everyone is having a good day and going to have a great evening whether at home or out.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:37 AM   #9  

Talking

Happy New Year!!!

Here's to 2007! May all your dreams come true!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #10  
Hang In There

I hope everyone had a safe New Years Eve. I spent mine in my bedroom in bed with a glas of champange on the nightstand and the TV on. Not very exciting, but at least I can say I saw it come in and celebrated!!!

Okay, The first thing I did when I got up was weight in. I'm on my way to pick out a tracker and get that in place. I'm almost back to my all time high, but not quite. Then I'm going to pick out a new siggy and aviar and THEN clean out the bedroom and rearrange the furniture so I can start my Oxycise tapes tonight. I KNOW they work for me IF I DO THEM!!! Why I let myself get out of the habit , I don't know.

My one main resolution for the new year is to get rid of this "I don't care "attitude that I've had the last year or so. Yes it's been a tough year, but many of you have had tough years too. So starting today, I DO CARE.. I care how I feel, I care how I look, I care how the house looks, need I go on? Yes I do care about all of you. I can't promise I'll be good at replys, but I'll at least be in here reading on a regular basis.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Last edited by ageoldie; 01-01-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 262/252/135

Height: 5'3"

Hello Everyone

I believe I posted on this thread or one like it back in August. I lost my way but I am back now to lose it all. I hope some of you will remember me but if you don't I hope we can make friends again.

Leah
Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #12  

Hi chickees,

It has been a very productive day. I do so much better when the sun shines.

It started by finding my big containers in the garage and getting them to the house first thing this morning. Sounds easy, but they are big and full of clothes. I also brought in a couple of other containers of wedding stuff. Yes, wedding stuff from 8 years ago. That has been sorted out and all wedding keepsakes consolidated down to one container. The clothes have been dumped on the floor in the front living room for future sorting and the big containers have been filled with the Christmas trees/greenery to go back to the garage. I need one more longer container for the rest of the tree stuff.

I totally reorganized the exercise room closet so that all the other Christmas stuff is packed away and in the closet. I even managed to have room to put the extra card tables and chairs that I bought to have everyone for Thanksgiving. Those are no longer sitting in the front living room. I also moved stuff from the exercise room to the office room for future sorting. My exercise room now has room for the spinner cycle and more floor room.

After a nice nap, I pulled on my new rubber boots (Christmas gift) and headed out to the pasture with halters and lead ropes. The horses need to be worked and entertained. I walked with both boys at the same time around the pasture. They acted like they had forgotten how to be led but it was a good bonding time with them. Spice was certainly feeling left out because she'd come charging down the pasture kicking and bucking. Little did she know that she was next. Ginger was smart enough to stand pretty patiently and wait for the food. That's my girl.

I've moved Bear's bed back into the bedroom. His wound has healed very nicely and the drainage appears to have stopped. He will have to wear a muzzle at night to keep him from licking. Hopefully no more sleeping on the couch or in the chair for me.

Tonight, I moved on to month 3 of the push.tv workouts. I started off the new year with 85 minutes of exercise between the workout and all the housework and horse work.

I've been thinking about what I want to accomplish this next year. I don't want to so much as set resolutions but to have projects to work on. I do better with projects. My resolution projects for the year include:

1. Sort out the "extra" blankets, quilts, towels, etc and downsize and properly store. (before spring)
2. Sort out the pile of clothes and send off to goodwill and properly store the rest in the master closet. (before spring)
3. Sort out my craft stuff and either sell on ebay or figure out how to store in office without having containers stacked against the wall. (Before spring)
4. Work on outside landscaping this spring and summer.
5. Make working with horses a daily activity.
6. Make exercise and health eating a lifestyle not a diet.

Barb - Its good to see you looking ahead and wanting to have a more positive outlook. You have had a really difficult couple of years and when its tough, it is so easy to give in to apathy. You know you can do this. You're taking the first steps by tackling your attitude. We care about you too!

to everyone! I think I am going to settle down and watch TV. Its back to work tomorrow and I've already received a phone call that things are not going well for our beginning of the financial year end close. We have to bozos in Chicago to thank for that with all their integration work that had to be done by 1/1.

Goodnight!

Hi Leah - You snuck in while I was writing this post. Welcome back and look forward to getting to be friends again!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #13  

Talking Here I am!

Good Morning Ladies!

I've been a bit absent over the weekend, just sneaking in to lurk and I put a post on the other board, but haven't had time to do a proper one here so I haven't done anything at all. HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope everyone had a terrific New Year's Day! I'm starting 2007 with a new avatar and signiture...whatcha think?

I also have some "resolutions". Not really liking calling them that because no one ever keeps resolutions...but there are four major areas of my life that need work and they are these:

#1 - obviously, is getting/staying back on track and getting the rest of this weight off! To make that happen, I plan on keeping up with the exercise and planning ahead for food. I need to plan meals in advance and make sure I get in some fruits and veggies every day! More veggies, more whole grains, less restaurant food. That's the plan and it'll also help me with #2

#2 - is being more fiscally responsible. This means operating on a cash baisis...no more credit or dipping into savings. If we're out of budgeted cash with four days to payday and want to eat out - tough! In addition, "found" money, like taxes, goes to pay bills or for NEEDED, not just WANTED, household repairs/items.

#3 - is to be a better housekeeper. I am a TERRIBLE housekeeper - I have what the Fly-lady calls CHAOS - can't have anyone over syndrome. To battle that I plan on trying to do a little housework every day...even if it's just dusting while dinner is in the oven. And if I'm going downstairs and see something on the dining room table that needs to be in the downstairs closet...I'll take it with me. That sort of simple thing should make a huge dent in the clutter!

Finally, #4 - is to get caught up and stay caught up at work. Because of this one, I'll probably spend less time with my message boards, but rest assured I'll find time for a little each day!

I'm feeling very positive about 2007! I feel like I did when I started with weight-loss in 2005...like I can do this and it's just TIME. I did good yesterday too. I got up (late-but it was a holiday) and I did 20 minutes on the I.M. I came to the office and got a bit done here. I cleaned the kitchen when I got home...reorganizing and getting rid of some clutter. I still have $30 of "fun money" to last until the 15th...and a FULL tank of gas, so I'm going to see how much I can hold on to and squirrel away. And I ate OP and had fruit for my snack and got in some dairy too, both of which I often miss. All in all, a good start!

Terri Sounds like you had a busy day and accomplished a lot! I'm so glad that Bear is doing well! Give the big boy doggy kisses from me! I liked your list of projects...they sound very doable! I have lists on top of lists that I never get to and darn it I'm tired of that sort of thing. All part and parcel of simply living my life "better", which is what I really want to accomplish with my "resolutions". I have a good life. I'm happy. But I could accomplish things instead of just letting them happen. Does that make sense?

Leah BACK! Hop in any time and I hope we get to know you much better this time!!!

Barbara
Quote:
My one main resolution for the new year is to get rid of this "I don't care "attitude that I've had the last year or so.
I totally understand! I feel that's been me in a way. I lost so much weight the first year and then "took a break" but I never really came off the break the way I needed to. This isn't just something you can expect to happen if you don't work at it and I just haven't been committed like I ought. So, from now on - I care too!

Karen EEWWWWEE on sloppy kisses! Hope tonight's date is better and you enjoy Eragon. Let me know. I've heard bad things, but mostly by people who read the books and expected too much. My DS liked it though. I'm a BIG dragon fan!

Judy, Ruth, Thin, Mother, Mary and all the other wonderful ladies! Hope you are having a terrific start to the new year!

HEY VALERIE! ARE YOU OUT THERE?

Well all, if I'm going to work on resolution #4 I better get a move on! So bye for now and have a terrific day!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everybody!

Happy New Year!

Hope you have all had a great holiday and are ready to get back down to business. I was delighted to get on the scale this morning and find a number I haven't seen in years. Yes...............a LOWER number than I've seen in years! Shame on you for thinking otherwise! It gave me the confidence I needed to get with the program and actually think that this thing might be doable.

Over the holiday Honey and I got most of the ivy transfers up on the walls in the new workout room. I have some sewing to do and a couple of ivies to finish then I'm wanting to get MIL's treadmill moved over here. I told Honey that him getting on the treadmill and me on the AirWalker will motivate me to actually DO IT!! At least that's how my mind is thinking right now.

We have one more bit of entertaining to do next Sunday so all of my decorations will stay up until after that. They're usually up until my birthday or the weekend before anyway so this won't be any big deal.

Angela: Are you back from Ohio yet? You probably head back to school around the 8th, don't you? That's when my nephew is due back.

Terri: Sounds like your GYN is quite the hoot! She's a real fashion plate, eh? *I'm sorry you had to let Peso go but it sounds like the new home will be great with a loving owner. Glad Bear is feeling better and able to be with you guys in the bedroom again.

Lilion: I feel for your hubby. Mine would be going through the same thing trying to get me up in the morning. A morning person, I'm NOT!!! Congrats on getting the job done! You go, girl!

Turtle Mary: Hey girl. How's the new place coming? Sorry you're not here more often.

Ruth: That's great news about your daughter. Does she live near you or did you have to travel to be by her?

BarbPA: Nice to see you checking in. I hope you'll make stopping by more of a habit from now on. I'm soooo sorry you were sick. Guess DH got a rude induction into being a single parent for awhile. It will make him appreciate you all the more.

Karen: Can't wait to hear how date #2 turns out. Sounds like he's striking OUT! Too bad. Don't ya just love it when a man can't kiss? Training them? Hmmm Mine pretty much came trained since his mother went to work when he was little and he and his brothers were left to fend for themselves. He knew how to cook and clean and get himself up and off to work/school in the morning. Who was I to change all that??? He still gets up and sees himself off in the morning. I'm NOT a morning person!

BarbG: Good job with the new attitude! It's all in our heads, or so they keep telling us.

Judy: This weather has been crazy, hasn't it? It's been in the mid to upper 40's here since Thanksgiving except for a couple of days at the beginning of December. There is no forcast of that changing for awhile either. Of course, now that I put that in print, the weatherman will have screwed up and we'll get a blizzard tomorrow, but oh well! I've been running around all holiday with just a sweatshirt for a coat. Lovely!

Leah: Welcome back! Jump in anytime.

Well girls, while I've sat here I found my 2006 calendar and looked up last January. I'm soooo excited. Not only did I lose a little during the holidays but I'm down 21 pounds exactly since January 2nd, 2006! WooHoo! I'm doing the happy dance!

Gotta let you go as there are a few things I want to accomplish before Honey gets home tonight. See you all later. Love ya bunches!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #15  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Yes, LILION! I'm finally back! Woo-HOO! And I'm REEEEEEEALLLY ready to get started on 2007. Lucky 7. This is the year ladies!!!

KAREN - Ooooo, yuck! Nope. No luck in re-training a bad kisser. They've either got it or they don't. Maybe you'll be a better... educator.

TERRI - kisses on that Bear Boy. I'm glad he's on his way back, and I hope he gets strong enough that his back and HQ are ok too!

LEAH - Of course I remember you! WELCOME BACK!

BARBARA - Sounds like you're ready for Oh Seven, too!

My eating is back on track, I have a plan for exercising more, I have a ton of motivation and inspiration (that would be y'all!) and I'm fired up, rip-snortin', and ready to go.

Gee whiz, if only I didn't want another helping of chili before bed! Oh well. I'll just have to wait until breakfast instead!! (Don't tell me - you guys don't eat chili for breakfast? Oh well, once a trucker, always a little weird.)

I'll try to keep up with you from now on. I've missed you!!!

happy new year everyone!
Closed Thread